Greenskin
Chemical Ali
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Freathy

Freathy

Rhys Griffiths on trial? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rhys Griffiths on trial?   Rhys Griffiths on trial? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 7:58 am

He's 32 and from the welsh league. How the hell is he going to come good now?

Carl the Clueless clearly spent all the 'budget' on re-signing last seasons failures and now Brent the Banker won't give him anymore money.

12/13 season looks like being our last as a league club
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Rhys Griffiths on trial?   Rhys Griffiths on trial? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 8:05 am

And if Exeter had him on trial we'd all be gufawing very loudly indeed.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Rhys Griffiths on trial?   Rhys Griffiths on trial? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 8:27 am

PlymptonPilgrim wrote:
Is this a serious rumour? A 32 year old striker from the Welsh league? Things are worse that I thought.

Still, not to worry, we probably won't be able to afford his wages anyway.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: Rhys Griffiths on trial?   Rhys Griffiths on trial? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 9:02 am

knecht wrote:
I guess if we get him on a free and he comes good, what's really to be lost? Good luck to him if he comes.

I just wish we could sign a name that would get the adrenalin flowing.....

that famous turkish midfielder, mustafa drenalin
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Rhys Griffiths on trial?   Rhys Griffiths on trial? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 9:49 am

Lets hope that it's not true, surely if he was any good someone would have noticed by now?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rhys Griffiths on trial?   Rhys Griffiths on trial? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 10:03 am

Tony Book was about 30 when he started for us and that was his first foray into the football league. Look what he went on to achieve.

Last edited by knecht on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Thai green

PostSubject: Re: Rhys Griffiths on trial?   Rhys Griffiths on trial? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 10:03 am

Chemical Ali wrote:
Although he was in Ireland with Port Talbot on Monday-

Port Talbot's Ireland Tour

It just shows how far we have fallen when Port Talbot F.C. ( first time I have ever heard of them ) have a Tour of Ireland and PAFC .......go boxing ! lol!
Back to top Go down
football genie

PostSubject: Re: Rhys Griffiths on trial?   Rhys Griffiths on trial? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 9:03 pm

I'm not an Argyle fan but follow results as i used to live in Devonport. I noticed this thread and thought I'd give my two pennies worth for anyone who cares.

I know the lad quite well from being around the league and also follow the English and Welsh systems so have some perspective. My understanding is that he has had offers over the years, I know of several from English clubs and one foreign team but has been committed to family and work where he lives. Now he's left Llanelli after 6 years he may be looking for a new challenge.

He is big and strong and scores goals for fun in Wales. he ain't gonna run past players but isn't slow. His main threat is aerial but he is good on the ground. He can spot a pass and will win most stuff in the air against any defender up to championship level. He is highly regarded by a lot of ex-welsh pros and would make the step up easily. He's been the best player in the WPL for at least 8 years and you just need to compare his stats over the past two years to Lee Trundle's to see who is the better goal scorer. Get it to him in the box on the ground or in the air and he'll stick it in the onion bag. He is also well known for his fitness and conditioning and I dare say will have held his own in that regard if he is on trial - I really wouldn't see it being an issue. BTW - Until Gareth Bale scored a hatrick against Inter a couple of years ago he was also the only Welshman to score a European Club competition hatrick despite his team losing the tie. All in all, he's a very good player and the WPL loss would be your gain.

There have been some ignorant comments on here about the WPL. Ok, its not as good a standard generally but is comparable to the conference. The top teams are decent and TNS would certainly do ok in the conference and give a good account of themselves in the 2nd Division. there have also been some very good players over the years who have moved on to bigger and better things. The main problems the league has is lack of publicity and poor administration.

All in all, a glowing reference? Yes, but I have no alterior motive for giving it other than what I have seen. I do understand concerns with age and experience and would feel the same if a player I knew nothing about was signing for my team with his background. However, I reckon he'd see you alright for goals next year.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Rhys Griffiths on trial?   Rhys Griffiths on trial? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 9:17 pm

football genie wrote:
I'm not an Argyle fan but follow results as i used to live in Devonport. I noticed this thread and thought I'd give my two pennies worth for anyone who cares.

I know the lad quite well from being around the league and also follow the English and Welsh systems so have some perspective. My understanding is that he has had offers over the years, I know of several from English clubs and one foreign team but has been committed to family and work where he lives. Now he's left Llanelli after 6 years he may be looking for a new challenge.

He is big and strong and scores goals for fun in Wales. he ain't gonna run past players but isn't slow. His main threat is aerial but he is good on the ground. He can spot a pass and will win most stuff in the air against any defender up to championship level. He is highly regarded by a lot of ex-welsh pros and would make the step up easily. He's been the best player in the WPL for at least 8 years and you just need to compare his stats over the past two years to Lee Trundle's to see who is the better goal scorer. Get it to him in the box on the ground or in the air and he'll stick it in the onion bag. He is also well known for his fitness and conditioning and I dare say will have held his own in that regard if he is on trial - I really wouldn't see it being an issue. BTW - Until Gareth Bale scored a hatrick against Inter a couple of years ago he was also the only Welshman to score a European Club competition hatrick despite his team losing the tie. All in all, he's a very good player and the WPL loss would be your gain.

There have been some ignorant comments on here about the WPL. Ok, its not as good a standard generally but is comparable to the conference. The top teams are decent and TNS would certainly do ok in the conference and give a good account of themselves in the 2nd Division. there have also been some very good players over the years who have moved on to bigger and better things. The main problems the league has is lack of publicity and poor administration.

All in all, a glowing reference? Yes, but I have no alterior motive for giving it other than what I have seen. I do understand concerns with age and experience and would feel the same if a player I knew nothing about was signing for my team with his background. However, I reckon he'd see you alright for goals next year.

Thanks for that.No doubt he is a very good player [certainly miles ahead of anything that most fans,including myself, ever achieved in football] and doesn't really deserve some of the comments that Argyle fans [again,including myself] have put forward.It's just that our club has been in severe decline for 5 years now,from a high of 4th in the CCC to 22nd in the fourth division and the fact that they are apparently interested in a 32 year old who has never played a game a pro level seems to say it all about where we are going.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rhys Griffiths on trial?   Rhys Griffiths on trial? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 9:28 pm

Thanks for the info. I don't believe he's on trial with us anyway, as he's listed as playing against Swansea tomorrow, but it certainly looks like him.

I thought the WPL would be on a par with the BSP, or at least some of the teams and players would be, and now would we take a player from the BSP who had the same scoring record? Of course we would. I don't see how him being 32 is an issue in League 2, unless there was a transfer fee involved.

Age doesn't seem to matter with goalscorers so much, especially at this lowly level, and again if this does turn out to be him on trial, I don't see a problem with it and if he is banging them in for fun lining up against Blanchard and Purse, why would he not do the same against any other team in League 2, well Ok the fact we don't have a midfielder capable of supplying the ammo, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this guy, especially if the alternative is the alleged sex pest who has never played for Brighton's first team.

Also I don't know if he is actually is a fireman or if that is just his nickname because he is on fire?
Back to top Go down
football genie

PostSubject: Re: Rhys Griffiths on trial?   Rhys Griffiths on trial? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 9:33 pm

No probs. I understand your concerns as my own team is going through a similar decline. All i would say is give him a chance and you might be suprised. Think he finished 4th/5th in the european golden boot a few years ago despite the different ratings system. Whatever happens i wish you all well for next season. Plymouth should not be where they are.

Btw just seen the picture and it is him
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rhys Griffiths on trial?   Rhys Griffiths on trial? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 9:42 pm

football genie wrote:
No probs. I understand your concerns as my own team is going through a similar decline. All i would say is give him a chance and you might be suprised. Think he finished 4th/5th in the european golden boot a few years ago despite the different ratings system. Whatever happens i wish you all well for next season. Plymouth should not be where they are.

Btw just seen the picture and it is him

I reckon it could be a good move. A goalscorer is a goalscorer and we're not exactly overloaded with goalscorers, despite what Fletcher said.

If he's not up to speed in this league it will be clear soon enough and nothing ventured nothing gained.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Rhys Griffiths on trial?   Rhys Griffiths on trial? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 10:43 pm

Sign him up. Give him a go. He could be the next Ian Wright. Or Danny O'Hagan. Let's find out which. What is there to lose?
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: Rhys Griffiths on trial?   Rhys Griffiths on trial? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 10:46 pm

He's playing for Port Talbot against Swansea tomoorow.His trial,if indeed it was him,didn't go too well then else I would have thought he would be at Dorchester tomorrow
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: Rhys Griffiths on trial?   Rhys Griffiths on trial? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 11:23 pm

oddball wrote:
He's playing for Port Talbot against Swansea tomoorow.His trial,if indeed it was him,didn't go too well then else I would have thought he would be at Dorchester tomorrow
Yep-it either wasn't him or Fletcher decided he wasn't good enough.

Seems like panic over whatever the case.
Back to top Go down
Jon L

PostSubject: Re: Rhys Griffiths on trial?   Rhys Griffiths on trial? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 11:40 pm

Rory Patterson score goals for fun in Ireland - how does that league compare to the WPL?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rhys Griffiths on trial?   Rhys Griffiths on trial? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 11:43 pm

Jon L wrote:
Rory Patterson score goals for fun in Ireland - how does that league compare to the WPL?

Rhys Griffiths scored twice for Port Talbot this week against someone like Bohemians or Crusaders from the Irish Leagues, so I guess the WPL is better. I think PT won about 6-0
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rhys Griffiths on trial?   Rhys Griffiths on trial? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 11:44 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:
Although he was in Ireland with Port Talbot on Monday-

Port Talbot's Ireland Tour

It was a very young Bohemians though
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Rhys Griffiths on trial?   Rhys Griffiths on trial? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 5:33 pm

Big Rhys' Port Talbot had the same friendly result (as Argyle) losing 5-0 to Swansea. But port Talbot play at a standard similar to blue square south/ north whereas there's only a league different between argyle and yeovil.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rhys Griffiths on trial?   Rhys Griffiths on trial? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 7:21 pm

To even think about signing an ancient welsh donkey ( in football terms) shows how desperate we are, and to think when brent was selling memberships he told us he was aiming for promotion lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rhys Griffiths on trial?   Rhys Griffiths on trial? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 7:42 pm

My goodness there is some guff written on here. It doesn't matter where they come from. What does matter is that they are good enough and that the manager has good judgement on signings. It seems he's gone back so I take it to mean he is not up to the standard. I am a little bit encouraged that Fletch seems to be looking for the types we are crying out for.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Rhys Griffiths on trial?   Rhys Griffiths on trial? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 10:17 pm

My goodness you carry on being happy that fletcher is having to scour the league of wales for 32 year old 'strikers' as your beloved brent won't fund L2 standard players.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rhys Griffiths on trial?   Rhys Griffiths on trial? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 11:01 pm

Freathy wrote:
My goodness you carry on being happy that fletcher is having to scour the league of wales for 32 year old 'strikers' as your beloved brent won't fund L2 standard players.

My beloved Brent. Forget that for sarters. I'm only interested in the football freathy. I couldn't give a toss about the board room. Brent has said where he intends the club to head for. It won't happen over night. We will all have to wait and see if he serriously means to run the the club properly and provide us with a the stadium that may allow us to kick on. Then if he isn't as good as his words there will be more than just you on his case.

I have read your posts with interest. I agree with a lot of what you say but I cannot for the life of me see what Brent has done to have earned the flack you throw at him. Unless you are blaming him for paying off such a small portion of someone elses debt.

Did it ever occur to you that just maybe Fletchers chooses to try and unearth gems rather than go for proven quality. It will take balls but if he is a good judge of players it will allow him to get more for the money he has available. I don't know that to be the case. I'm not saying it's likely. But it's possible. Can you say that. Or are you so entrenched in your critical stance that you won't allow that possibility to cross your mind.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Rhys Griffiths on trial?   Rhys Griffiths on trial? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 11:10 pm

According to Jake on pasoti who seems to have a bit of insider info on Rhys G, he will be playing in the Truro friendly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rhys Griffiths on trial?   Rhys Griffiths on trial? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 11:36 pm

Well I hope he's good enough. Then the search will stop there. By good enough I mean can contribute to a team looking to go up. If he's not good enough fine, the search goes on. We can all think of examples of successes and failures that have come from the lower leagues so there's no point in debating that. Fletch could have gone for Tsumou. I guess he didn't rate him and I think he got that one right even though Tsumou did offer something. If Fletch is looking for an improvement over him then I say he's on the right track. This is going boil down to one simple thing. Our management teams judgement on these players. If it's good and we can polish a few turds ( I have heard it said that you can't) then our big worry for the future will be keeping hold of the manager. If the turds remain turds then it will be cheerio and try something else. I'm sure I read soemwhere that part of this years playing budget is being held back for the winter. I read that to mean it would be enough to give a new manager a fighting chance should we need to make a change. But then again if it's all rosy come jan. It could be an interesting finish to the season.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rhys Griffiths on trial?   Rhys Griffiths on trial? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Rhys Griffiths on trial?
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next