Lord Melbury
Greenskin
Hitch
sufferedsince 68
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage

Time For a Boycott? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time For a Boycott?   Time For a Boycott? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 1:20 pm

A boycot wont really work as you harm the club more when it wont help.

The only thing that will is several vocal in match and outside the ground protests aimed at the board so they get the message that this cant contiune and things have to change.
However as we have seen in the past any suggestion of any fan voicing his or her displeasure at the board gets instantly shot down at games or on pasoti and hence the status quo remains and you find your club ends up in £20m in debt as a result of fans not at least trying to fight for the club before shit hits the fan.
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: Time For a Boycott?   Time For a Boycott? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 2:09 pm

I accept that we should not be in Lge 2, our budget is probably better than most, our crowds are better than most, our fan base is terrific and our players are, on paper, better than the majority in this league and we should be right up there now on the heels of big clubs like Wycombe and Burton.That quote could have come from fans of Argyle, Pompey, Luton or Oxford. We are where we are and JS stated before the season that it was ''play-offs minimum''. Well, he hasn't failed yet even though we are going through a horrible patch.

A neutral reading this site (and others) without knowing which club it was could imagine it was a club in the bottom 3 and being cast adrift. Yep, at present its horrible but I don't think boycotting, turning backs at games, silence, pointing fingers at the Directors box will achieve anything. JS is a stubborn guy who will not give in. I'm glancing at the team behind him and thinking it could be more experienced than at present. I've doubted Harbins credentials as a footy man from day 1 but I'm not going to follow some insane comments on pisspotty about replacing JS with Wottsy and some guy at Saltash because he has an 'A' licence.laugh FFS I've got a driving licence but would be highly surprised if ''Bennycedesferrari'' formula 1 team asked me to drive for them.
So which team are beating us next ? clown
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Time For a Boycott?   Time For a Boycott? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 2:12 pm

tigertony wrote:
Iggy wrote:
tigertony wrote:
Well after an awful day I scratched around for a crumb of comfort.
In 85/86 after 28 games we were P28 Pts 43 - not far from our record this season
In 85/86 from Boxing day the next 9 games produced W2 D3  L4 - if we win the next 2 then just the same
In 85/86 we finished 2nd with P46  Pts 87

I'm just trying to find a little positive thought.

WTF does that have to do with the price of eggs? In '86 John Brimmacombe signed for us and we were promoted the following year, he now works as a groundsman in a school in Tavvy, if the euro zone continues to shrink Brent may be able to afford to bring him back in the summer if our gates keep up.
I was simply trying to add a small piece of comfort and hope in a situation of despair and sadness. Not quite sure of the Brimmacombe link but King Tommy now drives taxi's. In fact I would probably replace McC with King Tommy. I thought the euro zone was the car park at The Range but thats euro-parking. jocolor

It's a fact about Brimmy, my missus works at same place, lovely fella. Lost his place to Nesbit a couple of years later, I remember Tynan, Coughlin (Russell), Jonny Hoare?
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Time For a Boycott?   Time For a Boycott? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 2:34 pm

tigertony wrote:
I accept that we should not be in Lge 2, our budget is probably better than most, our crowds are better than most, our fan base is terrific and our players are, on paper, better than the majority in this league and we should be right up there now on the heels of big clubs like Wycombe and Burton.That quote could have come from fans of Argyle, Pompey, Luton or Oxford. We are where we are and JS stated before the season that it was ''play-offs minimum''. Well, he hasn't failed yet even though we are going through a horrible patch.

A neutral reading this site (and others) without knowing which club it was could imagine it was a club in the bottom 3 and being cast adrift. Yep, at present its horrible but I don't think boycotting, turning backs at games, silence, pointing fingers at the Directors box will achieve anything. JS is a stubborn guy who will not give in. I'm glancing at the team behind him and thinking it could be more experienced than at present. I've doubted Harbins credentials as a footy man from day 1 but I'm not going to follow some insane comments on pisspotty about replacing JS with Wottsy and some guy at Saltash because he has an 'A' licence.laugh  FFS I've got a driving licence but would be highly surprised if ''Bennycedesferrari'' formula 1 team asked me to drive for them.

Priceless innit! lol! Now I've got nothing against Aaron Cusack, played cricket against him and his brother and i'm pretty sure that his dad was a very accomplished local player-he had a very good job in the naval base as I remember. Good on him for getting his A licence, very good qualification and you have to work hard and know your stuff to get it.But knowing the pro footballers mentality, then rightly or wrongly they're just not going to respect someone who hasn't been through the same mill as they have-the attitude would be "who the feck are you to tell me what to do", which I suppose is understandable in a way. Southampton conducted a disastrous experiment by bringing in Clive Woodward and his entourage, which was one of the main reasons why their fortunes declined and they eventually nearly went bust. For sure the insularity of pro footballers can be criticised but that's the way it is and you would have to be exceptionally talented to earn their crucial respect. I can't think of many examples of people becoming first team managers or coaches without a professional background-Bassett was one but that was a bit different. Maybe someone can think of others but they would be very much the exception rather than the rule.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Time For a Boycott?   Time For a Boycott? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 3:11 pm

Greenskin wrote:
tigertony wrote:

A neutral reading this site (and others) without knowing which club it was could imagine it was a club in the bottom 3 and being cast adrift. Yep, at present its horrible but I don't think boycotting, turning backs at games, silence, pointing fingers at the Directors box will achieve anything. JS is a stubborn guy who will not give in. I'm glancing at the team behind him and thinking it could be more experienced than at present. I've doubted Harbins credentials as a footy man from day 1 but I'm not going to follow some insane comments on pisspotty about replacing JS with Wottsy and some guy at Saltash because he has an 'A' licence.laugh  FFS I've got a driving licence but would be highly surprised if ''Bennycedesferrari'' formula 1 team asked me to drive for them.

Priceless innit! lol! Now I've got nothing against Aaron Cusack, played cricket against him and his brother and i'm pretty sure that his dad was a very accomplished local player-he had a very good job in the naval base as I remember. Good on him for getting his A licence, very good qualification and you have to work hard and know your stuff to get it.But knowing the pro footballers mentality, then rightly or wrongly they're just not going to respect someone who hasn't been through the same mill as they have-the attitude would be "who the feck are you to tell me what to do", which I suppose is understandable in a way. Southampton conducted a disastrous experiment by bringing in Clive Woodward and his entourage, which was one of the main reasons why their fortunes declined and they eventually nearly went bust. For sure the insularity of pro footballers can be criticised but that's the way it is and you would have to be exceptionally talented to earn their crucial respect. I can't think of many examples of people becoming first team managers or coaches without a professional background-Bassett was one but that was a bit different. Maybe someone can think of others but they would be very much the exception rather than the rule.

Mike Bassett? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: Time For a Boycott?   Time For a Boycott? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 5:32 pm

Iggy wrote:

It's a fact about Brimmy, my missus works at same place, lovely fella. Lost his place to Nesbit a couple of years later, I remember Tynan, Coughlin (Russell), Jonny Hoare?
Don't doubt the Brimmy story at all. I was flicking thro' the Dave Smith diary of 85/86 - find it very readable - of course Coughlin and Nessie and King Tommy feature a lot. Oh to have a midfielder like Coughlin now - mini Billy Bremner. Nessie was superb and so consistent. King Tommy - say no more!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Time For a Boycott?   Time For a Boycott? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 5:37 pm

Those years were some of the best for me following Argyle, early twenties, novelty of the pubs and the away trips having a whip round for petrol and taking in turns driving, happy days.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Time For a Boycott?   Time For a Boycott? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 7:17 pm

Greenskin wrote:
tigertony wrote:

Arsene Wenger, Arrigo Sachi
Back to top Go down
Cornish Rebel

PostSubject: Re: Time For a Boycott?   Time For a Boycott? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 7:41 pm

I just read that our fans are great.... They are not! they are all Avivas who watch sky and think they are all Alan Hansen.
In a city of 300k Argyle get what 7k. Half of those are from Cornwall or ivybridge.
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Time For a Boycott?   Time For a Boycott? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 07, 2015 1:22 pm

Backing the Boycott today. Time for the silent majority to vote with their feet. Brent Out!
Back to top Go down
green_genie

green_genie

PostSubject: Re: Time For a Boycott?   Time For a Boycott? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 07, 2015 1:29 pm

Cornish Rebel wrote:
I just read that our fans are great.... They are not! they are all Avivas who watch sky and think they are all Alan Hansen.
In a city of 300k Argyle get what 7k.  Half of those are from Cornwall or ivybridge.

Not sure how well that stacks up in reality. Just before xmas asked someone from the Cornish supporters association why they didn't run coaches anymore.

Surprised to learn that total PACSA membership wouldn't fill one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Time For a Boycott?   Time For a Boycott? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 07, 2015 2:11 pm

Relative to what this club has gone through, the idea of a boycott now is pretty ridiculous.

Why are so many on here obsessed with regime change?
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Time For a Boycott?   Time For a Boycott? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 07, 2015 2:19 pm

ejh wrote:
Relative to what this club has gone through, the idea of a boycott now is pretty ridiculous.

Look at the league table, look at the loan fiasco, look at the ministand farce, the Brent regime has no ambition and no idea, thats why i want change. If you like mid table fourth division mediocrity Brent is your man. A boycott is the way to get brent out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Time For a Boycott?   Time For a Boycott? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 07, 2015 3:29 pm

[quote="ejh"]Relative to what this club has gone through, the idea of a boycott now is pretty ridiculous.

Are you serious? Mid table after three feckin years, the chairman is a feckin joke and couldn't run a piss up in a brewery, Brent out.
Boycott on along with six nations, fire lit, nice cuppa and I've still got £50 in my pocket that I wouldn't have if I went to the footy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Time For a Boycott?   Time For a Boycott? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 07, 2015 6:16 pm

Hugh Watt wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
tigertony wrote:

Brentfords manager Mark Warburton and Nigel Adkins are another 2
Back to top Go down
Lord Melbury

PostSubject: Re: Time For a Boycott?   Time For a Boycott? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 07, 2015 6:33 pm

Greenskin wrote:
I can't think of many examples of people becoming first team managers or coaches without a professional background-Bassett was one but that was a bit different. Maybe someone can think of others but they would be very much the exception rather than the rule.

Mourinho. If I remember he never made it as a pro footballer & was then a PE teacher & Bobby Robson's translator at Porto & Barcelona

Indecently, I have now ended my five year boycott of attending games coz we is sh1t & have now thrown my weight behind the new boycott to starve brent out cheers
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Time For a Boycott?   Time For a Boycott? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 07, 2015 7:01 pm

Graiser wrote:
Hugh Watt wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
tigertony wrote:

Brentfords manager Mark Warburton and Nigel Adkins are another 2

I'll give you Warburton but Adkins played over 200 games in the football league. And Wenger played a few games for Strasbourg, Mourinho played a lot in the Portugese second division in answer to other posts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Time For a Boycott?   Time For a Boycott? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 07, 2015 7:01 pm

FY 310 wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
I can't think of many examples of people becoming first team managers or coaches without a professional background-Bassett was one but that was a bit different. Maybe someone can think of others but they would be very much the exception rather than the rule.

Mourinho. If I remember he never made it as a pro footballer & was then a PE teacher & Bobby Robson's translator at Porto & Barcelona

Indecently, I have now ended my five year boycott of attending games coz we is sh1t & have now thrown my weight behind the new boycott to starve brent out  cheers  

you dont have a good memory then because Jose was a pro footballer.... unless you have mistaken him for Andre Villas Boas?
Back to top Go down
Lord Melbury

PostSubject: Re: Time For a Boycott?   Time For a Boycott? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 07, 2015 7:07 pm

Oh right. My mistake then. I didn't know he made it as a pro, thought he failed to make the grade Embarassed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Time For a Boycott?   Time For a Boycott? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 07, 2015 7:17 pm

FY 310 wrote:
Oh right. My mistake then. I didn't know he made it as a pro, thought he failed to make the grade Embarassed

he didnt have an eventful playing career and played in the Portuguese league 1 and 2 equivalents but he was a player.

1980–1982 Rio Ave 16 (2)
1982–1983 Belenenses 16 (2)
1983–1985 Sesimbra 35 (1)
1985–1987 Comércio e Indústria 27 (Cool
Total 94 (13)

certainly not as glamorous as his managerial clubs thats for sure
Back to top Go down
Lord Melbury

PostSubject: Re: Time For a Boycott?   Time For a Boycott? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 07, 2015 7:19 pm

Cheers, rather like a Portuguese Warnock then Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Time For a Boycott?   Time For a Boycott? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 07, 2015 10:55 pm

I see it was announced as 6,000 today !

My arse more like 4,500 -5 , Still if Jimmy boy and his spin doctors tell you it is standard practice to cheat the attendances then who are the simple janner to heckle him out on it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Time For a Boycott?   Time For a Boycott? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 07, 2015 11:18 pm

Punchdrunk wrote:
I see it was announced as 6,000 today !

My arse more like 4,500 -5 , Still if Jimmy boy and his spin doctors tell you it is standard practice to cheat the attendances then who are the simple  janner to heckle him out on it.

Don't they announce it as the total tickets sold including season tickets or something like that even if they don't turn up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Time For a Boycott?   Time For a Boycott? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 12:57 am

FY 310 wrote:
Greenskin wrote:

Indecently, I have now ended my five year boycott of attending games coz we is sh1t & have now thrown my weight behind the new boycott to starve brent out  cheers  

He did more than translate. Mourinho coached the players, managed reserve games and used to compile what Bobby Robson described as 'the best scouting reports I had ever read'.

Mouinho always had high ambitions in management, he was already coaching youth teams and was manager of another Portuguese side when Lisbon said they needed a bilingual coach to work with Robson. Mourinho obviously jumped at the chance to study a managerial great close up.

Patrick Barclay has written a very good book about Mourinho's drive to become the best manager in the game. Incidentally when Mourinho when he completed his UEFA courses and badges, he was taught by another managerial great: our very own Paul Sturrock.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Time For a Boycott?   Time For a Boycott? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 1:23 am

Iggy wrote:
ejh wrote:

Are you serious? Mid table after three feckin years, the chairman is a feckin joke and couldn't run a piss up in a brewery, Brent out.
Boycott on along with six nations, fire lit, nice cuppa and I've still got £50 in my pocket that I wouldn't have if I went to the footy.

We have had a wobble but that was precipitated by a major defensive crisis (injuries to Hartley and Nelson), being beholden to parent clubs and loans (lengthy wrangles over O'Connor, Bobby Reid, Kellett), both aspects interfering with our difficult Christmas.

We now have 17 games with our solid defence back together, our midfield screen back in place and our important loans committed until the end of the season. 2 points is the gap we need to close.

Perhaps you need more constructive faculties to realise where a side is in the table isn't always the fairest reflection on a chairman (and only the chairman). Just as last week the lesson was that one goal didn't make Olly Lee the next Paul Gascoigne.

A vast percentage of clubs have a lot more to worry about than Argyle under Brent. The idea of some kind of protest is just embarrassing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Time For a Boycott?   Time For a Boycott? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Time For a Boycott?
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next