Greenskin
Tgwu
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Tringreen

Tringreen

Southend match thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 5:52 pm

ZYPH wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
Be grateful we have a club........ doff your caps to the fine gentleman............laud the Deepthroating Windsor Boys who saved the club..........get down to the Avivafest............rattle your buckets............be happy with the clusterfuck.................accept that the largest city club never to have made the top flight, will never be any better than the biggest club in Devon & Cornwall...............

Aviva got it so right. Geddon  No 

Come on Tring give it a rest and think beyond your own boring views... and remember it's football not just personalities.

Shaddap Zyph and try to step out of the janner mindset of revelling in mediocrity and being shafted by suits and self promoting parochial wannabes.
I was born and raised in Plymouth but feel no affinity with the insular, blinkered mentality.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 5:53 pm

Sherdian is doing a good job, i had big doubts about him a few months back, but i'm more than happy to be proved wrong!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 5:56 pm

ejh wrote:
Angry wrote:
ejh wrote:
Angry wrote:
ejh wrote:
How has Nathan Thomas acquired the nickname 'doubtful'?

In the bible one of jesus's followers doubted his resurrection when the others told him he they saw him he said he had to see it to believe it. So thats where the term doubting/doubtful thomas comes from.

As nicknames go, that is shocking!

It goes someway to establishing the identity of the prat making up these names though.

I always thought it was some young kid, an intern, a 20 - 30 year old managing the twitter account to make Argyle trendy. It's probably someone a lot older actually - either that, or some bible basher.

The 7,000 + crowd is encouraging, haven't had that in a long while.

i was told it was rick cowdrey but im yet to be certain of this.

I think the biblical reference kind of backs that theory up.

No young employee without much status would have gotten away with running this universally irritating and unpopular twitter teamsheet announcement for two years, and not had a quiet word in the ear to stop it.

Cowdery is just about one of the few senior managers at Argyle that can afford to have a shitty idea and impose it on everyone without rebuke.

I did think it was someone younger, but someone of the younger 'media studies' graduate profile probably wouldn't have come up with 'Doubtful' for Nathan Thomas.

Also i dont think anyone who wasnt in fear of his job would continue to annoy fans every game with these nicknames or insist on calling luke mccormick super luke (*luke) when its disrespectful.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 5:58 pm

It would be somewhat surprising if after coming out of admin some time ago, a club of Argyle's size and 21st century history, with the resultant attendance figures being second only to ex PL Pompey, didn't eventually start to win a few games in this dogshite division.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 5:59 pm

Sufferedsince68 wrote:
ZYPH wrote:
punchdrunk wrote:
ZYPH wrote:
A draw against high flying Southend is a good result......you wouldn't think so with all the belly aching going on here....get a grip of yourselves and support the team.

God give me strength

You need to see that John Sheridan is doing his best to build something at Argyle...whatever you think of what else is going on....give some credit to what is happening on the pitch and either support the team or just keep your views to yourself.

Surely there are others on this moaning site that support the team and can think beyond their own personal views.

ZYPH, you dont support sheridan enough to go on a regular basis then? you just want to moan about this forum, which you are happy to use on a daily basis.

So what are you saying.....that if I don't moan I'm not entitled to post on here.

I'm not into going regularly to home games ....450 mile round trips are not my idea of fun anymore and at my age I've done over 60yrs of supporting, so it is other supporters opportunity to now do their share....hopefully without constant moaning.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 6:00 pm

Fair comment Iggy.
I'm happy when Argyle are showing something, and I'm probably the most optimistic person the world has ever seen, and nothing will stop me calling a good team when I see one. I felt a tickle and pricked my ears. But the tickle seems to be back to the Wednesday dressing room.

BBC radio Devon giving it the Twitter "optimism" as you call it. I just call it filtered corporate bull masquerading as a sling shot of average opinion. Probably why Twitter is so popular, it can be controlled and filtered somewhat better than other  social media like this forum. Maybe ATD should get a Twitter account up and running again to push. I bet Nool would try and get several media twitter accounts to block it.
@Only1Argyle ?   @Only1ATD might be required.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 6:07 pm

Has anyone mentioned that Lavery got a late brace for his 'real' club against Leeds today ?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 6:09 pm

Tringreen wrote:
ZYPH wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
Be grateful we have a club........ doff your caps to the fine gentleman............laud the Deepthroating Windsor Boys who saved the club..........get down to the Avivafest............rattle your buckets............be happy with the clusterfuck.................accept that the largest city club never to have made the top flight, will never be any better than the biggest club in Devon & Cornwall...............

Come on Tring give it a rest and think beyond your own boring views... and remember it's football not just personalities.

Shaddap Zyph and try to step out of the janner mindset of revelling in mediocrity and being shafted by suits and self promoting parochial wannabes.
I was born and raised in Plymouth but feel no affinity with the insular, blinkered mentality.

Tring I have my own opinions of recent history at Home Park and other peoples problems do not interest me at all......it's Argyle that is important to me, not those on eitherside of this PASOTI/ATD argument which completely dominates too many peoples view of what at the end of the day is only a game of football....there are other more important things in life to get stewed up about than who owns or doesn't own Pasoti etc,etc,etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 6:09 pm

Tringreen wrote:
Has anyone mentioned that Lavery got a late brace for his 'real' club against Leeds today ?

a few of us in the lavery recalled thread did at the time. Safe to say he wont be coming back.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 6:11 pm

Tringreen wrote:

Saw his goals tringy, he looks a proper player, dont think we will see him again in a argo shirt.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 6:15 pm

Tringreen wrote:

I have Tringy. Well, I referred to it. Just goes to show why we had such a good Holiday program. Won 3, drew 1 when he played. He took his goals very well today, very confident. Out of our reach, as will be any player of any weight for many many years.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 6:17 pm

Very hard fought game against a useful Southend team who were well organised and committed,no mugs going forward either.There weren't that many clear cut chances but both teams will rue their failure to make the most of a bagful of free kicks awarded for fouls around the edge of the penalty area.Closest for Argyle was a brilliant save from their keeper to claw the ball back from crossing the line early on and they hit the post late on [Guerrieri again,i think].Argyle's goal must have taken a big deflection judging by the way it looped over the keeper,their goal had a suspicion of offside from where i was sat,difficult to tell though.Argyle certainly missed the ability of Lavery to get behind the defence but very unlikely that he'll return after his expoits today and this is an area that needs to be addressed quickly if Argyle are to seriously challenge,although i see they still went up a place today.Difficult to pick out anyone outstanding but Purrington did very well again and looks a prospect.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 6:18 pm

ZYPH wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
ZYPH wrote:
Tringreen wrote:

Tring I have my own opinions of recent history at Home Park and other peoples problems do not interest me at all......it's Argyle that is important to me, not those on eitherside of this PASOTI/ATD argument which completely dominates too many peoples view of what at the end of the day is only a game of football....there are other more important things in life to get stewed up about than who owns or doesn't own Pasoti etc,etc,etc.

If Argyle is important to you , you would be concerned that nefarious activities off the pitch will inevitably impact negatively upon the present and the future of the club. If it is just a game of football to you and you are either incapable of, or unwilling to view the bigger picture, please don't try to blinker everyone else.
If you want to merely talk about poor football , ffs stay on Pasoti. That's what they do best.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 6:32 pm

Winter Green wrote:
Tringreen wrote:

I have Tringy. Well, I referred to it. Just goes to show why we had such a good Holiday program. Won 3, drew 1 when he played. He took his goals very well today, very confident. Out of our reach, as will be any player of any weight for many many years.

I don't dispute that Lavery played a big part in the good results over Xmas and he looks a very fine prospect indeed but in fairness to the other players,the better results started to come long before the festive period.I do believe it's 2 defeats from 17 games now and Lavery in fact played in both games that were lost,so maybe it isn't as black and white as all that.Argyle certainly missed his pace today but to say that he was the sole reason behind the improved results is probably a harsh judgement IMHO.Having said that,interesting to see that Scunthorpe were able to shell out £300k for Madden this week and signed Hayes as well-Hayes did eight tenthe of feck all during his stay at HP but duly scored twice for Scunthorpe today.Funny old game.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 6:38 pm

Scunny are the best team in this league by a mile now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 6:45 pm

Tringreen wrote:
ZYPH wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
ZYPH wrote:
Tringreen wrote:

If Argyle is important to you , you would be concerned that nefarious activities off the pitch will inevitably impact negatively upon the present and the future of the club. If it is just a game of football to you and you are either incapable of, or unwilling to view the bigger picture, please don't try to blinker everyone else.
If you want to merely talk about poor football , ffs stay on Pasoti. That's what they do best.

It never crossed my mind that I could be 'blinkering other peoples opinions'.....just remember Tring that this site is proud of calling itself DEMOCRATIC....what you are saying is.... only democratic within the boundaries that we want it to be....anti-everything that is PLYMOUTH ARGYLE/PASOTI/MANAGEMENT....you probably will still moan about the tea urn lady...why not she must be in on the act as well.

You will drive away all opinion that is free thinking....and you will end up with nothing but ex-PASOTI posters who just go on and on and on....I can understand why sensible has stopped posting....you can only take so much banging your head against a brick wall....I'll probably stop posting myself soon ......there's only so much negativity a person can take.....I'll miss Pepsi's word game....but not much else that's for sure.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 6:48 pm

Again, fair comment Greenskin, I have no reason or desire to deny Sheridan a bit of praise for his efforts against the odds, and have felt that some appreciate some of the passing that has been going on for a while and the eventual return of actually looking like we might score.
But I pick up on momentum and energy, that's how I understand the world.
Football clubs receive the waves the same as we all do. The trick is to ride them well. Brent's rearguard policy is as likely to catch a cold as a wave. One has to ride luck in football, so Lavery is a big set back and illustrates so well why Brent's way forward is flawed. I wish Reid well, but he'll be gone too at the end of the season without some sort of investment in the team.
A good crowd today. Couldn't hear them from my Central Park allotment though. I've got a glut of parsnips, and spent the afternoon with earphones, a fork, and a few tonnes of cow muck. I walked up to the park with my brother who went to the game today, having pocketed a season ticket for the day. Have yet to get his report.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 7:16 pm

ZYPH wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
ZYPH wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
ZYPH wrote:
Tringreen wrote:

It never crossed my mind that I could be 'blinkering other peoples opinions'.....just remember Tring that this site is proud of calling itself DEMOCRATIC....what you are saying is.... only democratic within the boundaries that we want it to be....anti-everything that is PLYMOUTH ARGYLE/PASOTI/MANAGEMENT....you probably will still moan about the tea urn lady...why not she must be in on the act as well.

You will drive away all opinion that is free thinking....and you will end up with nothing but ex-PASOTI posters who just go on and on and on....I can understand why sensible has stopped posting....you can only take so much banging your head against a brick wall....I'll probably stop posting myself soon ......there's only so much negativity a person can take.....I'll miss Pepsi's word game....but not much else that's for sure.

You're on ATD posting an opinion are you not? - So how on earth is anyone that disagrees with you, threatening the democratic status of this site?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 7:22 pm

ZYPH wrote:

Oh, cheer up Zyph. Tringy's harmless, and he's miles away. Opinion is opinion.  Very Happy 
Mind you, I don't think Pepsi's word game has any place in a self respecting democratic community.
Was it Brezhnev that said of the West "give them pop music, football and Pepsi's word game and they'll be happy" ?
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 8:15 pm

So was 1 -1 a good result today? Probably not, given that we should be winning home matches, even against the might of Sarfend. Especially if we now have pretensions of reaching the play-offs.

Looking on the bright side, we would probably have lost this sort of game last year. Not that that's much to be grateful for.

Personally, I was grateful it was a nice day and I was able to get out on the golf course.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 8:21 pm

1-1 v a decent automatic chasing side that could well win the league.

How do you see that as a bad poor result.

We earned a solid draw, we aren't the best team in the division ffs! A fair result, a decent result.

Accrington,  Torquay,  Northampton - these are the sides you kick yourself for not beating at home.

If Hull fans were pissed off for a 1-1 home draw with Chelsea, Arsenal or Man City, you would think exactly the same
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 8:35 pm

GOB wrote:
punchdrunk wrote:
ZYPH wrote:
A draw against high flying Southend is a good result......you wouldn't think so with all the belly aching going on here....get a grip of yourselves and support the team.

God give me strength

A draw today against Southend would have been a good result if we were in a relegation spot, but to say it was a good result for a  team playing at home and looking to get in a play off position seems like a pretty stupid thing to say.
Southend were 4th before the start of play today, with one loss in 11 in all competitions and 7 wins out of their last 10 aways. Not a bad result by any means, certainly not the sort of game we HAVE to win at all.

That said, they didn't look like a team that high in the league at all. They were more or less there for the taking actually and if we attacked with a bit more pace and momentous we could have won. Can't personally agree that the club are to blame for not getting Lavery. Wednesday obviously need him as today shows and there's nothing much that can be done about that. Banton was the best we could get and we did well to get him. He was rubbish today too though. Shouldn't have started until he got more fitness and certainly not out left where he was out of the game.

Best players= Trotman who was an absolute rock in defence and Hourihane who had the almost complete midfield game, doing about 3 jobs at once and doing all of them well. We got a good point (imo) against a well organised and successful side. If Banton can regain form and fitness then I don't see why he can't replace Lavery's goal contribution. The play-offs are possible, but I would say not probable. Much stranger things have happened but we're more likely not to make them than to make them- slightly.
Back to top Go down
Dane

Dane

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 8:42 pm

A team with any aspirations to go up needs to beat the top sides, anyone that thinks today was a good result still has the same small time mentality that got us into this mess in the first place

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 8:48 pm

The squad still neeeds strengthening to mount any serious playoff push. One player wont do that so some need a reality check.
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 9:16 pm

The playoffs are no big deal anyway, we could lose like we did under Shilton. Automatic promotion has got to be the target.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Southend match thread
Page 3 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next