mouldyoldgoat
Chemical Ali
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22 ... 26  Next
AuthorMessage
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

Coronavirus and Football - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus and Football   Coronavirus and Football - Page 18 EmptySun Apr 26, 2020 10:43 am

Just watched Andrew Marr ask Raab about football starting up again and he didn't look at all enthusiastic about it and just said they would have to fulfil a lot of criteria before we could talk abut that happening. The FA like the business people are just pinning their hopes on blind faith than any actual reality.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus and Football   Coronavirus and Football - Page 18 EmptySun Apr 26, 2020 10:46 am

Tringreen wrote:
In response to Punchey's missive........The Nordic countries seem to be successful enough.

They don't tolerate corruption and for the last 70 plus years have managed to work with regulated free market capitalism, to provide welfare states and opportunities for everyone, that are the envy of the world. And yes, entrepreneurs can make a lot of money............but are obliged to pay their taxes, which are high.

Free , quality healthcare, education and social care. Trade unions that work for their members/sectors but are not allowed to hold the country / businesses to ransom. The government steps in. Those not happy with the deal are retrained for other skills.

Call it what you like,it works, irrespective of whether the government is left or right of centre.

It has even been suggested that Corbyn would be a mainstream social democrat in their systems.

People and the planet before unregulated capitalism or communist dictatorships.

Not only that but their people are fully supportive of paying high tax as they can see the benefits. I am fully supportive of the principle of paying tax but am less than happy that loads of it is siphoned off to the people that don't need it.
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus and Football   Coronavirus and Football - Page 18 EmptyMon Apr 27, 2020 10:56 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Punchdrunk

Punchdrunk

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus and Football   Coronavirus and Football - Page 18 EmptyMon Apr 27, 2020 11:40 am

I dont understand why they put so much money into that pitch, it's not as if it was in bad shape beforehand. Back in the late 80,s early 90's when the whole of the goal areas and centre circle was mud and sand, they used to roll it before matches.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus and Football   Coronavirus and Football - Page 18 EmptyMon Apr 27, 2020 12:54 pm

Teams will be allowed up to five substitutes under FIFA proposal when football resumes

Teams will be able to make up to five substitutes under a new proposal from FIFA to help cope with the return to action amid the coronavirus pandemic, the world governing body has stated.

The substitutions will be allowed at a maximum of three slots plus the half-time interval to avoid unnecessary stoppages, but are being proposed in recognition of the long lay-off players have had due to competitions being suspended, and the anticipated high volume of matches when and if play resumes.Teams will be able to make up to five substitutes under a new proposal from FIFA to help cope with the return to action amid the coronavirus pandemic, the world governing body has stated
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus and Football   Coronavirus and Football - Page 18 EmptyMon Apr 27, 2020 1:18 pm

Punchdrunk wrote:
I dont understand why they put so much money into that pitch, it's not as if it was in bad shape beforehand. Back in the late 80,s early 90's when the whole of the goal areas and centre circle was mud and sand, they used to roll it before matches.

Trouble is half of our squad today would get injured just warming up on a pitch like that.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus and Football   Coronavirus and Football - Page 18 EmptyMon Apr 27, 2020 2:59 pm

League Two chairmen are putting their differences aside in an attempt to work together and agree on a way forward for the 2019/20 season.

Football has been suspended in England since March 19, a few days before the government introduced its own wide-ranging social lockdown due to the coronavirus crisis.

Since then, seasons at National League level and below have been cancelled, leaving the Premier League and the EFL’s three divisions unresolved.

Despite several video meetings between clubs and the EFL, we are still no closer to knowing if and when seasons will resume – although the EFL did reaffirm on Saturday that completion is still the priority.

A swift conclusion will be helped in part by the various owners and chairmen working together to agree a path forward – and that does seem to be happening so far.

Both Scunthorpe United chairman Peter Swann and Grimsby Town director Philip Day say that working relationships are currently good across League Two – with clubs putting to one side the day-to-day rivalry, with opposing backroom set-ups usually as fiercely competitive as the action on the pitch.

Mr Swann said: “Of course everyone wants to look after their own club. It is difficult to get everyone together because, don’t forget, these clubs are competing with one another every day of the week normally in the season.

“You’re trying to buy players from the other teams, you’re trying to beat the other teams – but generally we have all got a good relationship with one another when we meet.

“We have put all our differences aside and are trying to come up with decisions now.

“Every club, as a model, is run a different way. We as owners, as the entrepreneurs and businessmen we are, have different ideas - so getting the same opinion is very difficult.

“But this is about teamwork now.”

Grimsby Town director Mr Day agreed that League Two clubs have been willing to put aside their own club’s best interests for the greater good.

He said: “I think we are working very well together.

“There was one suggestion on our last call that we should bring the season to an end and declare it void, with no promotion and no relegation.

“One of the clubs in a promotion place said they would be content to go along with that if it was for the betterment of the league and football.

“I thought that was a very healthy attitude.”
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus and Football   Coronavirus and Football - Page 18 EmptyMon Apr 27, 2020 4:32 pm

Colchester United chairman Robbie Cowling has revealed he's taken the "very difficult decision" to release a number of senior players due to the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
Striker Frank Nouble and captain Luke Prosser have both been allowed to leave, as have Ryan Jackson and Brandon Comley.
In a statement, Cowling admitted he'd have loved to have offered them all new deals under normal circumstances, but wasn't prepared to "gamble" with people's livelihoods or the club's future.
A number of academy players will now be drafted into the first team squad when football returns.
The U's were sixth in League Two when the season was suspended.
"The club has a proud record of always paying its players in full and on time. We achieve this because I will never sign a contract if I can’t commit to fulfilling it. I just won’t gamble with other people’s livelihoods or with the club," Cowling said.

"It is for that reason that I have had to take the very difficult decision of not re-signing a number of players that under normally circumstances I would have been determined to re-sign.
"I appreciate the decision will make the team less capable when the season does resume but it is very unlikely that we will be the only club to take such a step.
"I wanted to make the decision as early as I could to give those players that are being released a head start in what will be a very difficult environment for out of contract players. They find themselves in this difficult situation through no fault of their own and I wish every one of them well."
Cowling also told fans that he wasn't prepared to "sugar coat how difficult things are for Colchester United" but insisted he was "confident" the club would get through these tough times.
"I’m not going to sugar coat how difficult things are for Colchester United. Things were not easy beforehand when the club relied on financial support from my other businesses," said Cowling.
"Obviously, things recently got much more difficult and not just for the club but also for my other businesses that normally support it.
"I’m confident that Colchester United will get through this crisis, but we will do so because we are part of a football family that is pulling together."
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus and Football   Coronavirus and Football - Page 18 EmptyMon Apr 27, 2020 4:42 pm

Former Plymouth Argyle manager Derek Adams doesn’t believe the 2019/20 season can be completed.
The Scot, who is now boss at League Two side Morecambe, believes that contract situations will make resuming the current campaign too difficult.
In addition to contracted players, whose deals expire on June 30, his club have five loan players making up part of their side and three players on multiplicity contracts.
Argyle also have five players signed on loan, Alex Palmer from West Brom, George Cooper form Peterborough United, Josh Grant from Chelsea, Tyreeq Bakinson from Bristol City and Ryan Hardie from Blackpool.
Adams also stated the importance of sporting integrity, something Argyle owner Simon Hallett has also cited as being highly important with any decisions going forward.
Speaking to Herald Scotland, Adams said: “There are a lot of players out of contract at the end of June and managers want to try and get their focus on the end of this season or focus on the start of a new season. “Until we get a bit of clarity on it, which is difficult, it’s difficult to make those decisions.

“I don’t think we can continue this season. From a Morecambe point of view we’ve got three players on multiplicity contracts, five players on loan from other clubs.
“That’s eight players, seven of whom are involved in my pool of 18 for a Saturday. Are we able to keep them, are we not, past these dates?
“Then you’ve got players out of contract. It’s a whole host of different troubles only from a contract standpoint, that doesn’t even look into the virus and social distancing.
“There’s got to be a level of sporting integrity there, too. Clubs should really have the squad they had at the beginning of March going into the last games of the season.
“We’ve got to work on the scenario that the season will be finished, which is what we’re doing.
“But we’ve also got to consider that it won’t be and we have to plan for next season. We’ve got to cover all avenues.”
Morecambe currently find themselves second bottom of the League Two table but 10 points clear of bottom club Stevenage, who occupy the only relegation place this season.
So it might come as a surprise that Adams, who was sacked as Argyle manager a year ago tomorrow, is keen for the remaining games to be played.
It would take quite a turnaround in Stevenage’s form were they to surpass Morecambe in the table with just nine games left to play.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus and Football   Coronavirus and Football - Page 18 EmptyMon Apr 27, 2020 8:30 pm

Del boy has a vested interest in the season not finishing.  But it is obvious most league one and two teams are in no fit state to complete this season behind closed doors or otherwise.  Either null and void the season or finish it now with final positions as they are.  Dragging it out is pointless.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus and Football   Coronavirus and Football - Page 18 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:47 am

Agree Freathy, but for all leagues, it's obscene hipocrisy for the Premier league to be be encouraged by the goverment to restart.
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus and Football   Coronavirus and Football - Page 18 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 8:00 am

akagreengull wrote:
Agree Freathy, but for all leagues, it's obscene hipocrisy for the Premier league to be be encouraged by the goverment to restart.

It wont start Gull no matter what the Premier League claim. The minute any match starts whilst social distancing still exists than every sport across the country will see an explosion of people thinking whats good for them is good for us whether footie golf rugby tennis you name it all and sundry will be across the parks

Beyone me why the leagues are still waiting. There will be no football in 2020
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus and Football   Coronavirus and Football - Page 18 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 11:33 am

And there shouldn't be Harve this pandemic is beyond sport for most people, the global corporations are the ones behind the scenes keeping the debate alive.
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus and Football   Coronavirus and Football - Page 18 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 12:23 pm

Comes a point though regarding Hallett that with no football remotely on the horizon this year and obviously no inbound season ticket sales (which am guessing would normally have started next week) how long he will continue to bank roll this scenario
Brent would have long ago found a way to monetise the situation with a Waitrose in the centre circle by now
Back to top Go down
bellend

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus and Football   Coronavirus and Football - Page 18 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 12:55 pm

Hallett has said end of June. After that, who knows? Anyone with half a brain cell knows there'll be no football played for a helluva long time. Apparently only 5 players will be under contract so all the others better start looking for shelf stacking jobs.
Reality will start to bite for a lot of overpaid distinctly average footballers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus and Football   Coronavirus and Football - Page 18 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 2:48 pm

france has cancelled their seasons and they wont resume till september.

its only a matter of time till all follow suit.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus and Football   Coronavirus and Football - Page 18 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 2:57 pm

Angry wrote:
france has cancelled their seasons and they wont resume till september.  

its only a matter of time till all follow suit.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Fair play to them really. No fuckin about. No speculation. No contact sports before September.
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus and Football   Coronavirus and Football - Page 18 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 5:18 pm

How will football outside the prem ever begin again with no fans to pay for it? No vaccine = no football.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus and Football   Coronavirus and Football - Page 18 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 5:39 pm

sufferedsince 68 wrote:
How will football outside the prem ever begin again with no fans to pay for it? No vaccine = no football.

A vaccine is still some way off just because of the timeline involved. What is needed here and now is a 'therapy' treatment. One that will stop the immune system from creating a "cytokine storm" in a Covid-19 patient. You get that and the world is a different place.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus and Football   Coronavirus and Football - Page 18 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 6:49 pm

If uncle Bill and auntie Melinda are anything to do with said vaccine - they can do one!!
Back to top Go down
Punchdrunk

Punchdrunk

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus and Football   Coronavirus and Football - Page 18 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 8:47 pm

I can't understand why there is a set timeline for finding a vaccine, do they already know how to produce one but are held back by red tape and if so feckin why?

Maybe they havnt the foggiest idea about where to start but if that's the case why are they quoting 1-2 years? It could be 2 years or 200 years FFS.

Whatever the case I fear by the time a 'solution' arrives the horse will already have bolted and football just like any other business that has no punters will die out almost totally.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus and Football   Coronavirus and Football - Page 18 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 10:01 pm

Punchdrunk wrote:
I can't understand why there is a set timeline for finding a vaccine, do they already know how to produce one but are held back by red tape and if so feckin why?

Maybe they havnt the foggiest idea about where to start but if that's the case why are they quoting 1-2 years? It could be 2 years or 200 years FFS.

Whatever the case I fear by the time a 'solution' arrives the horse will already have bolted and football just like any other business that has no punters will die out almost totally.

they got to see if what they produce works and how we;; and what side effects if any are over a period of time thats why it will take time. Last thing they can do is rush it and we have another gulf war syndrome type outbreak.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus and Football   Coronavirus and Football - Page 18 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2020 9:05 am

Angry wrote:
Punchdrunk wrote:

they got to see if what they produce works and how we;; and what side effects if any are over a period of time thats why it will take time. Last thing they can do is rush it and we have another gulf war syndrome type outbreak.

Slackly also they are pretty sure they can provide some kind of vaccine but it's how long it will work for is one of the main problems. It has to be long term or it's next to useless.
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus and Football   Coronavirus and Football - Page 18 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2020 9:41 am

Testing required....remember thalidomide.....too much rushing could bring another horror story and the many court cases that it brought about....just a little patience needed to get it right.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus and Football   Coronavirus and Football - Page 18 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2020 10:57 am

Sorry Zyph, you had a repeat post on so I deleted one and they both want - if you want to re post - apologies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus and Football   Coronavirus and Football - Page 18 Empty

Back to top Go down

Coronavirus and Football
Page 18 of 26Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22 ... 26  Next