Greenskin
Tringreen
Mock Cuncher
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Olympic Football Empty
PostSubject: Olympic Football   Olympic Football EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 8:37 am

No Scots or Irish to be in the lineup. Sorry Jock but I think you guys have done us Brits a favor lol!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Olympic Football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Football   Olympic Football EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 8:47 am

No Beckham either. He's picked Micah Richards instead. What Micah Richards can add that Beckham can't, I have no idea. Beckham could fulfil that Pirlo role, give massive PR for an Olympic sport that's not exactly renowned for attracting that much attention and he could also give invaluable experience to the squad - and it's a young squad. Stuart Pearce is an idiot - he once put David James up front in a Premier League match... go figure. Beckham did so much for the Olympic bid and a load of PR to promote it since we won the games.

The public would have loved Beckham on the pitch and it's supposedly "OUR GAMES".
Back to top Go down

Olympic Football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Football   Olympic Football EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 8:51 am

Yeah I saw that this morning. I know the Scottish FA didn't want any Jocks considered, but Pearce was free to pick some if he wanted, so it is just a case of we're a little bit more shit than England.

Still, when the GB team get humped by any half decent team, nobody can blame us Laughing

I love the Olympics, but even if there were 4 or 5 Scots in the team, Olympic football would have ranked right up there with Womens football and synchronised swimming Sleep

Edited to add, it has now gone up in my estimation since Sir David Beckham has been left out. The absolute most overrated footballer of my lifetime, and according to some rumours, the reason why Katie Holmes is divorcing Tom Cruise. Apparently their friendship is so close that Skinny Spice and Katie were just trophy wives for the bezzie mates Razz

That is just a rumour though, just like the reason she is divorcing Tom is because he refuses to go up on her lol!
Back to top Go down

Olympic Football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Football   Olympic Football EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 8:58 am

Will you be supporting the Olympic football squad then Jock? clown

Hairy, yeah Beckham would give a boost to the Olympics but we're not the Olympics promotion agents, I would sooner have a medal.

Bobby Charlton up front I say clown
Back to top Go down

Olympic Football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Football   Olympic Football EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 9:00 am

Greenjock wrote:
David Beckham has been left out. The absolute most overrated footballer of my lifetime

I know you don't get to watch Argyle much but do you watch any football at all? You're mental.

115 England caps. 265 appearances for Man Utd (Alex Ferguson's Man Utd), 116 appearances for Real Madrid (who bought him for £25m). I've never seen a better crosser of the ball than Beckham and when he was at Madrid, he moved into the centre and became their play maker alongside Zidane.

I don't care what you think of his underpants adverts, his tattoos, his wife, where he lives, who he's friends with or how many cars and how much cash he owns. As a footballer, he's been a consistent;y World Class footballer for more than 20 years.
Back to top Go down

Olympic Football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Football   Olympic Football EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 9:02 am

She's got plastic titties, that's never done it for me.
Back to top Go down

Olympic Football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Football   Olympic Football EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 9:08 am

hairy j wrote:
Greenjock wrote:
David Beckham has been left out. The absolute most overrated footballer of my lifetime

I know you don't get to watch Argyle much but do you watch any football at all? You're mental.

115 England caps. 265 appearances for Man Utd (Alex Ferguson's Man Utd), 116 appearances for Real Madrid (who bought him for £25m). I've never seen a better crosser of the ball than Beckham and when he was at Madrid, he moved into the centre and became their play maker alongside Zidane.

I don't care what you think of his underpants adverts, his tattoos, his wife, where he lives, who he's friends with or how many cars and how much cash he owns. As a footballer, he's been a consistent;y World Class footballer for more than 20 years.

He was a very good footballer, who with his looks and superstar wife, became a money-spinner for any team that signed him. Whatever any club paid out for him in wages and transfer fees, they recouped so much more than that because of who he was, not how good a player he was.

Messi or Ronaldo would not bring in the same revenue to a club as Beckham has done, and Beckham is not fit to lace either of their boots.

If "Soccer" allowed tactical substitutions for corners and free-kicks, he would be extremely valuable to have on the bench, but his positioning was crap, he was hardly lightning quick, and in all my time watching football I never saw him take a full back on and beat them.

Other than that he was pretty good, well average anyway.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Olympic Football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Football   Olympic Football EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 9:42 am

He was shit for England.

Ruining our chances '98, bottling tackles against Brazil 2002, missing penalties.

Whadda jerk.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Tringreen

Tringreen

Olympic Football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Football   Olympic Football EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 9:57 am

David [I'm praaaad to play for my country] Beckam. Decent right foot, otherwise, nothing more than a well marketed Essex boy.

Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Olympic Football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Football   Olympic Football EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 9:59 am

Greenjock wrote:
hairy j wrote:
Greenjock wrote:

He was a very good footballer, who with his looks and superstar wife, became a money-spinner for any team that signed him. Whatever any club paid out for him in wages and transfer fees, they recouped so much more than that because of who he was, not how good a player he was.

Messi or Ronaldo would not bring in the same revenue to a club as Beckham has done, and Beckham is not fit to lace either of their boots.

If "Soccer" allowed tactical substitutions for corners and free-kicks, he would be extremely valuable to have on the bench, but his positioning was crap, he was hardly lightning quick, and in all my time watching football I never saw him take a full back on and beat them.

Absolutely agree with you there Jock,he was part of that group of players idiotically labelled the "golden generation" whose true talent failed to meet the billing.Like you say,very good player but no way was he in the same class as the truly great midfielders of his era such as Zidane,Figo,Rivaldo etc.In my time of following England,there have only been two midfielders who aspired to being true greats-Bobby Charlton,indisputably one of the very best in world football,and Paul Gascoigne,whose temperament unfortunately let him down but whose exquisite talent even then allowed him to play in two major semi finals for England,a feat achieved by very few,including any member of the golden generation.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Olympic Football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Football   Olympic Football EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 10:20 am

What about Ray Wilkins ? lol!

Back to top Go down

Olympic Football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Football   Olympic Football EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 10:34 am

Greenskin wrote:
Greenjock wrote:
hairy j wrote:
Greenjock wrote:

Absolutely agree with you there Jock,he was part of that group of players idiotically labelled the "golden generation" whose true talent failed to meet the billing.Like you say,very good player but no way was he in the same class as the truly great midfielders of his era such as Zidane,Figo,Rivaldo etc.In my time of following England,there have only been two midfielders who aspired to being true greats-Bobby Charlton,indisputably one of the very best in world football,and Paul Gascoigne,whose temperament unfortunately let him down but whose exquisite talent even then allowed him to play in two major semi finals for England,a feat achieved by very few,including any member of the golden generation.

To be fair Beckham did have his moments of genius but as you say GS, there's the wannabee greats and the true greats, Beckham will never be up there with the likes of Charlton etc. but then, maybe that would be different if England had actually won something?

Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Olympic Football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Football   Olympic Football EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 10:47 am

For a moment there I thought Becks may have given Katie Holmes one.

He would have rocketed in my estimation, had that been the case...
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

Olympic Football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Football   Olympic Football EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 3:10 am

beckham IS & always will be vastly overrated player - cant wait for his knighthood - services to english football - uk taxpayer ? left 'english league football in 2004 ?

always amazed me he went for posh when geri is much better looking
Back to top Go down

Olympic Football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Football   Olympic Football EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 7:02 am

Aw bless.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Still Pearce has been given the job of managing the team at the Olympics, and it's up to him who he picks, not bleddy Lord Coe and the suits.
Back to top Go down

Olympic Football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Football   Olympic Football EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 10:12 am

hairy j wrote:
No Beckham either. He's picked Micah Richards instead. What Micah Richards can add that Beckham can't, I have no idea. Beckham could fulfil that Pirlo role, give massive PR for an Olympic sport that's not exactly renowned for attracting that much attention and he could also give invaluable experience to the squad - and it's a young squad. Stuart Pearce is an idiot - he once put David James up front in a Premier League match... go figure. Beckham did so much for the Olympic bid and a load of PR to promote it since we won the games.

The public would have loved Beckham on the pitch and it's supposedly "OUR GAMES".

Micah Richards can defend and can tackle..........Beckham cannot do either..........I don't see a place for multi-millionaires in Olympic football tournaments.

Beckham equals Pirlo...good grief I nearly choked on my toast, what a joker you are.........I think your dad needs to have a word with you.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Olympic Football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Football   Olympic Football EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 10:30 am

No matter how you look at it, it is a PR disaster for everyone concerned by omitting Beckham.

The actual events are farcical anyway. Multi-millionaire professional footballers shouldn't be competing for Gold Medals, and that goes for every other full-on professional sportsman.

Pearce should have just picked him and given him 45 minutes here and there. It would have kept eveyone happy, because like it or not, Beckham is the biggest sporting icon this country has had for many years, so Coe and Co would have been able to get their PR machine working overtime for the benefit of everybody, really.

Not that I really give a feck - I've purposely made sure I'm gonna be in sunnier climes for the full duration of the whole event.... sunny sunny sunny
Back to top Go down

Olympic Football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Football   Olympic Football EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 11:02 am

He is part of the whole Olympic PR machine anyrate....without wasting a spot in the football team, which would limit is usability.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

Olympic Football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Football   Olympic Football EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 12:07 pm

He is loss to the team!

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

Olympic Football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Football   Olympic Football EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 12:10 pm

Czarky's right, football (especially) doesn't belong in the Olympics. Mind you seeing they're having a struggle to sell tickets it wouldn't surprise me to see it dumped in the future.

I'm not sure the IOC does loss leaders.
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

Olympic Football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Football   Olympic Football EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 11:59 am

GregCampbellFanClub wrote:
beckham IS & always will be vastly overrated player - cant wait for his knighthood - services to english football - uk taxpayer ? left 'english league football in 2004 ?

always amazed me he went for posh when geri is much better looking

agreed, posh like shaggin a bag of bones, ginger geri looked like a dirty one..

becks was good as a young un, saw him in th pl reserves at notts county way back when there was only one spotty virgin, never rated him as a superstar
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk
merse

Olympic Football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Football   Olympic Football EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 12:40 pm

Sneinton Green wrote:

agreed, posh like shaggin a bag of bones

Ssssssh ~ they'll make 'em include it like another of those new fangled "Olympic Sports" like Beach Volleyball.........I'm just waiting for them to include sand castle building now. Rolling Eyes

Including past it veteran footballers is just like putting Sebastian Coe back in the athletics squad; so let's go the whole hog and have Roger Bannister on a mobility scooter! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Olympic Football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Football   Olympic Football EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 1:25 pm

Greenjock wrote:
hairy j wrote:
Greenjock wrote:

Beckham was an awesome player, people have no problem saying that Pirlo and Cassandro are good with a cross, Beckham was as good if not better, and is a model player when it comes to fitness.
Back to top Go down

Olympic Football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Football   Olympic Football EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 1:47 pm

So Beckham is fit and can cross a ball?

Surely a spot in the football hall of fame along with Pele, Maradonna, Cruyff, Best, Messi, Platini and Ronaldo then, plus dozens of fantastic players from before I was born Sleep
Back to top Go down

Olympic Football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Football   Olympic Football EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 3:59 pm

He's still better than anything to come out of Scotland though Jock Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Olympic Football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Football   Olympic Football Empty

Back to top Go down

Olympic Football
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next