tigertony
seadog
Les Miserable
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Errington Empty
PostSubject: Errington   Errington EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 12:29 pm

Clearly at loggerheads with Sheridan who is treating him like a nuisance.

Posters on pasoti seem to be taking Sheridan's side.

Having just read a book on Brian Clough, written by a local hack who wrote the sports pages of the Nottingham paper, the warmth of Clough to the journo is evident. The journo complains he had to wait very long amounts of time (sometimes) outside his office for a conversation or a quote, and had to suffer terrific bollockings and whisky fuelled rants (often in front of the players), but they had a relationship whereby they spoke on a daily basis. They knew each others phone numbers, and even used to talk after Match of the Day. They weren't best friends, but it was a professional relationship with warmth in it, both knew they needed the other, and worked it to suit both of their purposes. The bloke had the run of the corridors at Nottingham Forest, and knew where Clough's office was.

It is apparent that Sheridan gives local media a few scraps of information on a Thursday and that is it. He is refusing any more than that.

Given that Bray has arrived, played a match, got injured, and gone home, in between two press conferences a week apart - it is a perfect example of where a half an hour a week relationship with the media is not sufficient.

Why is Sheridan treating Errington (and by extension the fans) with such disregard?

Errington has typically been more of a sycophant than a critic of the club, so if he is taking exception to the unnecessary shouldering from the manager then it must be a considerably more distant approach than any other manager he has dealt with. At the end of the day, the Herald is a daily paper - and modern news coverge is all about rolling 24/7 news. If Sheridan is going to close himself off, and attempt to starve the Herald of a story, what is to stop them giving their back page to Albion, or the divers, or the Raiders?

Hopefully Sheridan can be persuaded that open publicity is good for the club, and his approach isn't helpful to anyone.
Back to top Go down

Errington Empty
PostSubject: Re: Errington   Errington EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 12:34 pm

'Ere we go again Rolling Eyes

IN SHERRY WE TRUST Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Errington Empty
PostSubject: Re: Errington   Errington EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 12:44 pm

Yeah but then again if you came home from work and found Sheridan in bed with you wife, you'd probably tuck him in Razz
Back to top Go down

Errington Empty
PostSubject: Re: Errington   Errington EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 12:46 pm

He talks utter bollocks and a poor ecuse of a journalist with no interest in the club and has done for years using his wife who works or at least did so as a source.. Im not supprised Sheridan has fecked him off im amazed no one else has before hand.

Brent's herald needs a reporter who wants to report actual facts and ask questions
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

Errington Empty
PostSubject: Re: Errington   Errington EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 1:22 pm

ejh wrote:
Yeah but then again if you came home from work and found Sheridan in bed with you wife, you'd probably tuck him in Razz

A low blow. Dragging another members family into the debate is unacceptable.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

Errington Empty
PostSubject: Re: Errington   Errington EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 1:27 pm

Poor quality debate always drifts to shite.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

Errington Empty
PostSubject: Re: Errington   Errington EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 1:27 pm

Angry wrote:
He talks utter bollocks and a poor ecuse of a journalist with no interest in the club and has done for years using his wife who works or at least did so as a source.. Im not supprised Sheridan has fecked him off im amazed no one else has before hand.

Brent's herald needs a reporter who wants to report actual facts and ask questions

He's not the most searching reporter in the world but his match reports aint bad and his radio commentary is ok, better than Webby anyway!!
Back to top Go down

Errington Empty
PostSubject: Re: Errington   Errington EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 1:31 pm

Les Miserable wrote:
Angry wrote:

He's not the most searching reporter in the world but his match reports aint bad and his radio commentary is ok, better than Webby anyway!!

utter silence is better than webby lool
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

Errington Empty
PostSubject: Re: Errington   Errington EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 2:07 pm

Argyle don't need Errington or the Herald. I like the way JS keeps his cards close particularly with transfers. Thursday is press day so Thrusday is press day. Finish!
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Errington Empty
PostSubject: Re: Errington   Errington EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 2:55 pm

Brian Clough was nice to journalists.

I've fecking heard it all now! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

Errington Empty
PostSubject: Re: Errington   Errington EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 4:19 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Brian Clough was nice to journalists.

Same as he wouldn't talk to agents Laughing

I remember a game where Shilts had been superb and earnt Forest? or Derby? a win/draw? and the chap interviewing said ''So Mr Clough Shilts was superb and saved the day for you'' to which he replied ''Thats why I pay him'' Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Errington Empty
PostSubject: Re: Errington   Errington EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 5:20 pm

ejh wrote:

Tuck him in, wait for him to finish, cook him a full English, give him £50 and then drop him home.

A poor response ejh, stick to the dour posts, attempted humour(however tasteless) just isn't your forte.
Back to top Go down

Errington Empty
PostSubject: Re: Errington   Errington EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 6:13 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Brian Clougfotwas nice to journalists.

Clough made himself available for the local media on a daily basis, and had them travel on the team coach to away games to be in and around him and the players.

That's not the same as being nice, which is not a word I used, and neither is the story of dragging a reporter who criticised his tactics into his dressing room to tear him apart in front of the players.
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

Errington Empty
PostSubject: Re: Errington   Errington EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 6:44 pm

AstiSpumante wrote:
ejh wrote:

Tuck him in, wait for him to finish, cook him a full English, give him £50 and then drop him home.

A poor response ejh, stick to the dour posts, attempted humour(however tasteless) just isn't your forte.

Oi - leave ejh alone. He's still learning his humour trade from me. OK ejh thats the homework done - 10/10 for that one. Laughing Tomorrow we'll work on photo humour.
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

Errington Empty
PostSubject: Re: Errington   Errington EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 7:57 pm

Chris Errington's job is to report on all things Argyle. He is battling against round the clock news, forums and twitter in which to be first with a scoop. It is an almost impossible task. A once a week media session is nowhere near enough. Why can't the manager understand his predicament and help him out with a few titbits. Sheridan is manager of the local football team not MI5.
Back to top Go down

Errington Empty
PostSubject: Re: Errington   Errington EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 8:11 pm

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
Chris Errington's job is to report on all things Argyle. He is battling against round the clock news, forums and twitter in which to be first with a scoop. It is an almost impossible task. A once a week media session is nowhere near enough. Why can't the manager understand his predicament and help him out with a few titbits. Sheridan is manager of the local football team not MI5.

good journalist have sources to get stories if we must have daily news from argyle i mean god forbid no one in the sports section thinks of giving the Raiders, Devils or Albion some coverage in its stead. Besides why should sheridan tell him everything? we dont need to know the ins and outs of what he is thinking every day till we get literally non stores spamming the back pages just to fill it. if there is news to tell he will tell its not john's job to provide the local rag thats dying on its arse daily updates for a reporter to spin his job is to manage the team and get results.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Errington Empty
PostSubject: Re: Errington   Errington EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 8:47 pm

If doing media isn't the part of the job that you enjoy, (which for Sheridan it appears it isn't) then it follows that you're not going to wanna speak to a local hack any more than you're obliged to.

Add that to a scenario of the local hack making little snidey digs at Sheridan through Twatter and his paper, then it's not the biggest surprise that Errington ain't gonna get the inside track as much as he would like, or as much as he may have had in the past.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

Errington Empty
PostSubject: Re: Errington   Errington EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 9:09 pm

Sheridan never looks comfortable in filmed interviews and I guess as czarks suggests isn't keen on giving info to someone who has been critical of him. Luggy was quite open with the press (interviews in his hot-tub etc) and some of his staff fed info to the press and fans also (one of Maxwell's misdemeanours was apparently giving the Herald too much inside info). With Sheridan its more a closed shop and the info coming out of Home Park is quite minimal.
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

Errington Empty
PostSubject: Re: Errington   Errington EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 9:17 pm

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
Why can't the manager understand my predicament and help me out with few quid towards my head gasket fix. Errington knew the ropes when choosing his career so why should someone from another occupation help him?
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

Errington Empty
PostSubject: Re: Errington   Errington EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 9:24 pm

Thank God I'm lacking the nasty mindset required for this forum.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

Errington Empty
PostSubject: Re: Errington   Errington EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 9:40 pm

errington has been too pally with the club or rather towed the owners line for many years.
the media were too busy brown nosing sturrock & stapes. now its brent.

BRENT OUT NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down

Errington Empty
PostSubject: Re: Errington   Errington EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 9:43 pm

tigertony wrote:
Rollo Tomasi wrote:
Why can't the manager understand my predicament and help me out with few quid towards my head gasket fix. Errington knew the ropes when choosing his career so why should someone from another occupation help him?

The club needs the media as much as the media needs the club.

It's all well and good reserving your time purely for pafc.co.uk and @only1argyle, but those information streams are preaching to the converted.

The Herald is the gateway to 'would be' Argyle supporters. The Plymouth public, who probably don't read the club website to see what happened to Alex Bray. Who were there when we had 16,000 and now have more like 6,000.

Let the media promote the club as far and wide as possible.

This insular, closed minded, almost paranoid attitude from Sheridan really helps no one.

Errington has no previous of being awkward or hostile. Whereas Sheridan looks very very uncomfortable in front of a camera, itching his ears and avoiding eye contact.

Regardless a 10 minute convo with Errington really shouldn't be beyond him, to get a few on the record quotes. I'm surprised after all this time they are not familiar beyond only seeing each other in the press room once a week.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Errington Empty
PostSubject: Re: Errington   Errington EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 7:57 am

ejh wrote:
tigertony wrote:
Rollo Tomasi wrote:

It's all well and good reserving your time purely for pafc.co.uk and @only1argyle, but those information streams are preaching to the converted.

The Herald is the gateway to 'would be' Argyle supporters. The Plymouth public, who probably don't read the club website to see what happened to Alex Bray. Who were there when we had 16,000 and now have more like 6,000.

This insular, closed minded, almost paranoid attitude from Sheridan really helps no one.

Errington has no previous of being awkward or hostile. Whereas Sheridan looks very very uncomfortable in front of a camera, itching his ears and avoiding eye contact.

Regardless a 10 minute convo with Errington really shouldn't be beyond him, to get a few on the record quotes. I'm surprised after all this time they are not familiar beyond only seeing each other in the press room once a week.

Say it enough times and I'm sure it'll become ATD fact... Rolling Eyes

"Insular, closed minded, ...paranoid". Jeez, we're talking about a journo not getting as many quotes as maybe he'd like, that's all.

If Errington had been a bit more bullish and forthright in the way he's questioned the club about the HHP debacle, instead of tippy-toeing around the subject, I may have had a touch more sympathy.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Errington Empty
PostSubject: Re: Errington   Errington EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 9:03 am

Czarcasm wrote:
ejh wrote:
tigertony wrote:
Rollo Tomasi wrote:

Say it enough times and I'm sure it'll become ATD fact... Rolling Eyes

"Insular, closed minded, ...paranoid". Jeez, we're talking about a journo not getting as many quotes as maybe he'd like, that's all.

If Errington had been a bit more bullish and forthright in the way he's questioned the club about the HHP debacle, instead of tippy-toeing around the subject, I may have had a touch more sympathy.

I would surmise that one reason why Sheridan is rather suspicious of the Herald in general and not just of Errrington in particular would be the forthright comments made by Danis Salman in his column.Haven't got a problem with them myself but you can understand the resentment felt by a manager at criticism made by someone who did not have either the ability or the courage to have a go at management himself. Anyway,it's a mere spat compared to the long running battle which Tony Waiters had with Hambly and Lawer back in the days of yore.I don't think people like Ferguson or Dalglish have enjoyed cordial relationships with the media in the past either,so maybe paranoia can be endemic in the profession and isn't confined to Sheridan.

Correct about Errington being toadyingly supportive and non critical of the HHP proposals.Symptomatic of local journalists attitude over the years,i guess the exception was when Dan the Man banned Hambly from HP and he had to watch the matches from a crane perched over the Devonport end.Bring back Dan,Chris would soon get to know the meaning of unco-operation then.
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

Errington Empty
PostSubject: Re: Errington   Errington EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 9:38 am

I bow to your superior knowledge in that Salmon had never the courage nor the ability to be a manager. But what you're suggesting is that, for example, only an ex Prime Minister can criticise the Prime Minister. Sheridan needs to grow up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Errington Empty
PostSubject: Re: Errington   Errington Empty

Back to top Go down

Errington
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next