Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers...... You choose....

Go down 
+21
Coxside_Green
jabba the gut ecfc
Greenskin
Damon.Lenszner
argyle_till_i_die
lawnmowerman
Jethro
mouldyoldgoat
seadog
Dane
argyl3
Chemical Ali
LondonGreen
Peggy
Czarcasm
gasser9
Dougie
green_genie
Tringreen
Elias
mannameadbabe
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
Dougie

Dougie

A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers......  You choose.... - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers...... You choose....   A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers......  You choose.... - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 3:14 pm

Mmmm.  All that is very interesting.  For a man that doesn't play games or do politics with the football club.  

I can't find one public utterance from the President saying it was a great deal.  Perhaps Postey or The Snooper can double check for me.

I find it disturbing when things are done in dark corners and I include being urge to take a stance via PM in that.  I imagine The President would be bothered by say Prince Charles writing to ministers in private.  And knowing how wet behind the ear some of the bum fluffed Forza Verde are imagine them getting a personal message from the club president and 2nd greatest living janner.  I suspect they would be honoured and willing to tow the line.

Don't like this one bit.
Back to top Go down
jabba the gut ecfc

PostSubject: Re: A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers...... You choose....   A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers......  You choose.... - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 5:20 pm

GOB wrote:
....he is a scheming and treacherous pimple on the ass of a skunk...
Sorry, GOB - I'm stealing that one.

I dare your lawyers to find me. (Nikkkkkk could probably recommend somebody if you're interested).
Back to top Go down
jabba the gut ecfc

PostSubject: Re: A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers...... You choose....   A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers......  You choose.... - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 5:33 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
The Daddy of them all betrayal-wise was Brent's spurious £400,000 valuation for a 20% stake (but with no representation at boardroom level or refence to the club accounts) of a club soon to have no assets, £5m in debt and trading at a loss. At that point it was crystal clear that all the fine words about openness, transparency, supporter representation and community engagement were, quite simply, worse than utter piffle...
It worked though didn't it? It's not uncommon to see the AFT being castigated as a bunch of timewasters or somesuch for cruelly spurning dear James and his incredibly generous offer of a lorryload of thin air for 400K. I recall a similar argument being made in the comments section of the Scrolls of Akkeron a while back - the gist of it being that the middle-aged pretender offered the AFT the fan involvement he promised, only for the barstewards to throw it back in his face.
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers...... You choose....   A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers......  You choose.... - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 9:00 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Chris Webb becoming President saw absolute confirmation that he had changed hats and was no longer representing fans, which he did as AFT leader, but was now representing the club in name (and of course Brent in practice). It was openly done and I have no problems with that at all.

What I do have problems with was his, and others, role in the Deep Throat business. In the context of Argyle and supporter representation I can think of nothing more deceitful, calculating or treacherous for anybody, let alone somebody who came from Webb's background, to do. Webb should have resigned as club President immediately and if he wasn't prepared to he should have been dismissed.

But even given the bare-faced shame attached to that scabby treachery I still think it is small beer in the betrayal stakes because ultimately Webb is a powerless individual who doesn't matter.

The Daddy of them all betrayal-wise was Brent's spurious £400,000 valuation for a 20% stake (but with no representation at boardroom level or refence to the club accounts) of a club soon to have no assets, £5m in debt and trading at a loss. At that point it was crystal clear that all the fine words about openness, transparency, supporter representation and community engagement were, quite simply, worse than utter piffle.

That was the key moment. That was when any pretence that Brent was a philanthropist here for the good of everybody became even less credible than a fanciful notion.

And nothing that Brent has said or done since then has given me cause to re-assess my opinion.
How did Webb get to be on the AFT to begin with? That has always puzzled me, complete unknown not only joining but becoming AFT leader thanks to resignations we may or may never know the truth about.

I also have to question whether Webb ever represented the fans, even as AFT leader. Wasn't he responsible for giving AFT funds away? Bearing in mind I'd never heard of him until he was part of AFT, he has always come across as representing a motive that has favoured JB all the way.

While Webb might not matter now (none of it does now), he was key at the time in winning over 'support'.

As said, none of it matters now, I just can't believe Webb has ever represented the fans. I don't even believe he is/was a supporter, just an opportunist aided and abetted by others.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers...... You choose....   A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers......  You choose.... - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 9:48 pm

Greenjock wrote:
mcfry wrote:
Am I right in thinking that the leader of the AFT is sat in there aswell?
Andy? No he's not there. In fact I have a feeling he didn't go to the game due to ill health. That might be wrong but he's definitely not in the Directors Box.
Ah no I thought Ed was, oh well wrong again
So is that Ed I see?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers...... You choose....   A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers......  You choose.... - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 10:32 pm

mcfry wrote:
Greenjock wrote:
mcfry wrote:
Andy? No he's not there. In fact I have a feeling he didn't go to the game due to ill health. That might be wrong but he's definitely not in the Directors Box.
So is that Ed I see?
Not sure I don't know him and have only seen his photo when he was running, although I was supposed to meet up with him recently to talk about Hooper the Snooper spying on me and my mother but I couldn't make the meeting. If he's in the Directors Box then I'm glad that I couldn't meet up with him.

I think he's like the official PASB leader or spokesman and a Trust board member.
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers...... You choose....   A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers......  You choose.... - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 10:51 pm

Just a suspicion, I believe Ed is one of a huge number (in respective terms) of older people who just want to see the stadium completed. Not necessarily a bad egg but possibly a bit selfish. He doesn't strike me as someone trying to grab the headlines.
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers...... You choose....   A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers......  You choose.... - Page 7 EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 12:58 am

No nest of vipers here for anyone interested.  Maybe the power outage was expected?  Directors box outta bounds for photograpy anyway (apparently)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Is Jimmy ok?  I kinda miss him in a sarcastic 'where's the karma' wankerish way.  Obviously he should be doing the Hartlepooles & Newports and not just bulging his box with the big games.

**edit** a set from the fanboy is on its way.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers...... You choose....   A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers......  You choose.... - Page 7 EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 6:51 am

As soon as the Windsor Boys got their self promoting heads together, the reluctant one fuelled the flames of their personal ambitions and the club became a dimwitted Avivafest. More buckets than brains.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers...... You choose....   A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers......  You choose.... - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 8:07 pm

Greenjock wrote:
mcfry wrote:
Greenjock wrote:
mcfry wrote:
So is that Ed I see?
Not sure I don't know him and have only seen his photo when he was running, although I was supposed to meet up with him recently to talk about Hooper the Snooper spying on me and my mother but I couldn't make the meeting. If he's in the Directors Box then I'm glad that I couldn't meet up with him.

I think he's like the official PASB leader or spokesman and a Trust board member.
Ah ok
I have just seen another photo which shows that the man I thought might of been Ed is not
It appears that its someone called Aidan Maher, looking at the GOS photos, although I have no idea who he is
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers...... You choose....   A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers......  You choose.... - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 8:18 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ed is the guy on the left, definately not on the right cheers
Back to top Go down
Dingle

PostSubject: Re: A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers...... You choose....   A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers......  You choose.... - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 11:50 pm

Aidan Maher is an ex-player who saved a baby who fell off the Torpoint Ferry. Aidan and the baby were both guests and came on the pitch at half time. Ed should be flattered that he was mistaken for Aidan as he's about 30 years older.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers...... You choose....   A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers......  You choose.... - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 9:07 pm

Well I thought they looked similar lol
fourth row back, centre, light grey suit
Back to top Go down
swampy

PostSubject: Re: A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers...... You choose....   A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers......  You choose.... - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 11:08 pm

Dingle wrote:
Aidan Maher is an ex-player who saved a baby who fell off the Torpoint Ferry.  Aidan and the baby were both guests and came on the pitch at half time.  Ed should be flattered that he was mistaken for Aidan as he's about 30 years older.
Remember he signed from Everton the season after England won the World Cup. the 1966-67 season. At the end of the season he presented me and my primary school team with our winners medals after we beat Torpoint 4-1 in a local area final. Only thing I won in footy I reckon, I was pretty crap really and so were most teams I played for.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers...... You choose....   A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers......  You choose.... - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 6:56 am

swampy wrote:
Dingle wrote:
Aidan Maher is an ex-player who saved a baby who fell off the Torpoint Ferry.  Aidan and the baby were both guests and came on the pitch at half time.  Ed should be flattered that he was mistaken for Aidan as he's about 30 years older.
Remember he signed from Everton the season after England won the World Cup. the 1966-67 season. At the end of the season he presented me and my primary school team with our winners medals after we beat Torpoint 4-1 in a local area final. Only thing I won in footy I reckon, I was pretty crap really and so were most teams I played for.
Just come across the tail end of this thread - remember Aiden, small ginger haired left winger? Was Alan Welsh on the right? Also got him mixed up with Hughie Reed who I know died in a while back - time does play games on your mind!! Often dream about the anticipation on way to North Road Station to meet yer mates for the train to Eastville - knowing that walk from Temple Meads and back fraught with danger, take me back please!! Hahahahahahh!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers...... You choose....   A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers......  You choose.... - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 7:03 am

Me and my mates were jumped on that walk back in the 70s by about 20 or 30 Rovers fans that spilled out of a cafe, luckily about 15 cars pulled up full of Argyle fans and beat the crap out of them.

That was when Rovers had a 'proper' stadium and before it burnt down. At least they had the reason of a fire that provided them with decades of lower league football, unlike us where it's just plain greed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers...... You choose....   A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers......  You choose.... - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 8:15 am

Think it was the battle of Fishponds when the Argyle fans got attacked outnumbered by Rovers mob - I was still at school at the time so the older lads got the hammering and we all had to disperse down any little road that looked safe - I legged it on my own down one and only stopped running when I was confronted with a fence into an alotment, saw a couple storming down the road hoping they were Greens. Wrong, I took a right kicking and to this day can feel a dent in my cheek from a boot!! Those were the days!! Hahahahahah!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers...... You choose....   A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers......  You choose.... - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 8:23 am

I think that the visits to Eastville were my best away match moments, every one has a story to be told. Do you remember being bricked by the barstewards stood on the motorway?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers...... You choose....   A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers......  You choose.... - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 8:29 am

GOB wrote:

I think that the visits to Eastville were my best away match moments, every one has a story to be told. Do you remember being bricked by the barstewards stood on the motorway?
No, but our train got bricked at a disused station back to the centre when they put us on at Stapleton Road!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers...... You choose....   A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers......  You choose.... - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 8:46 am

What about that hypnotic house gas woft from the works next door - luved it!! Also remember an Easter Tuesday game up there before the M5 was built and our coach got there with 20mins to go, parked right outside the Tote End and everyone piled in free but came piling out just as quick as the Rovers fans realised!! Gas, brill away days!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers...... You choose....   A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers......  You choose.... - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 8:53 am

I think I only went to Eastville once by train, the cafe thing on the walk back to Temple Meads was a bit off putting!

I remember hitchhiking and a lorry driver picking us up at Marsh Mille and dropping us off right outside Eastville at 5 in the morning with 10 hours to kill and us hiding our scarfs tucked up in our Levi jackets!

I go past Ikea very often these days and I always feel a tinge of sadness for Rovers, it was an old and traditional stadium that they had and was so much better that the modern synthetic 'developments'.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers...... You choose....   A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers......  You choose.... - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

A Directors' Box - or a nest of vipers...... You choose....
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7