Freathy
shonbo
Chemical Ali
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Chemical Ali

Griffiths and Gorman sign Empty
PostSubject: Griffiths and Gorman sign   Griffiths and Gorman sign EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 5:09 pm

New players

Quote :
WOLVES' teenager Johnny Gorman and Welsh veteran Rhys Griffiths have been added to the Argyle squad a week before the new season kicks off at Home Park.
Striker Rhys joins on a one-year deal from Port Talbot for a first shot at the Football League at the age of 32 after years of leading the goalscoring charts in the semi-pro League of Wales.

Midfielder Johnny, 19, is at the other end of his career. He has played 10 games as a professional - nine of those matches full internationals for Northern Ireland.

He comes to Home Park on a youth loan until January 6 next year.

Rhys, who is putting on hold his career as a firefighter to become a full-time professional, has trained with Argyle this summer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths and Gorman sign   Griffiths and Gorman sign EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 5:10 pm

I just can't get excited about signing a player from Port Talbot, especially as he's described as a veteran, is 32 and has never palyed league football before!

Happy to be proved wrong mind
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths and Gorman sign   Griffiths and Gorman sign EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 5:15 pm

Welcome to both
Back to top Go down
shonbo

shonbo

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths and Gorman sign   Griffiths and Gorman sign EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 5:19 pm

Block3Green wrote:
Welcome to both
seconded
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths and Gorman sign   Griffiths and Gorman sign EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 5:27 pm

Info on Gorman (from wiki). He was a youth player at Man City (2002-03) then spent 6 years at Man Utd-

Quote :
Gorman joined Wolves Academy in 2009, after six years at Manchester United.[1] During this time he earned numerous caps at various Northern Ireland junior levels.[2]

Despite having never played a senior game at club level, on 26 May 2010, he made his international debut, aged 17 years and 222 days, for Northern Ireland in a 0–2 friendly defeat to Turkey played in Connecticut, USA.[3][4] He made his competitive international debut in the Euro 2012 qualifiers: a 1–0 victory in Slovenia on 3 September 2010.[5]

Gorman attended Repton School in Derbyshire, for whom he played in the 2010 Independent Schools Football Association Boodles Cup Final against Shrewsbury School.[6] During his studies, he won the "Michael Bristow Academy Scholar of the Year" and "Wolves' Academy Player of the Year" awards for the 2010-11 season,[7] as well as finishing runner-up in the Daily Telegraph/Aviva-sponsored "School Sport Matters Awards 2010 - Male Student of the Year" award.[8]

Gorman made his league debut in a 1–2 defeat at Norwich City in the Premier League on 24 March 2012.[9]

He is contracted to Wolves until summer 2013

Johnny Gorman
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths and Gorman sign   Griffiths and Gorman sign EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 5:39 pm

At least Johnny Gorman sounds like he could add some improvement to this shockingly bad 'team.'

The 32 year old part timer from Port Talbot, however.....
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths and Gorman sign   Griffiths and Gorman sign EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 6:02 pm

Quote :
as well as finishing runner-up in the Daily Telegraph/ Aviva -sponsored "School Sport Matters Awards 2010 - Male Student of the Year" award.[8] [b]

He was made for us...
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths and Gorman sign   Griffiths and Gorman sign EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 6:07 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:
Info on Gorman (from wiki). He was a youth player at Man City (2002-03) then spent 6 years at Man Utd-

Quote :
Gorman joined Wolves Academy in 2009, after six years at Manchester United.[1] During this time he earned numerous caps at various Northern Ireland junior levels.[2]

Despite having never played a senior game at club level, on 26 May 2010, he made his international debut, aged 17 years and 222 days, for Northern Ireland in a 0–2 friendly defeat to Turkey played in Connecticut, USA.[3][4] He made his competitive international debut in the Euro 2012 qualifiers: a 1–0 victory in Slovenia on 3 September 2010.[5]

Gorman attended Repton School in Derbyshire, for whom he played in the 2010 Independent Schools Football Association Boodles Cup Final against Shrewsbury School.[6] During his studies, he won the "Michael Bristow Academy Scholar of the Year" and "Wolves' Academy Player of the Year" awards for the 2010-11 season,[7] as well as finishing runner-up in the Daily Telegraph/Aviva-sponsored "School Sport Matters Awards 2010 - Male Student of the Year" award.[8]

Gorman made his league debut in a 1–2 defeat at Norwich City in the Premier League on 24 March 2012.[9]

He is contracted to Wolves until summer 2013

Johnny Gorman

Sounds a bit more like it.Very unusual for a pro footballer to come from a public school background.Educated wanker! lol!

Welcome to Johnny and Rhys,got my doubts about the latter but i wish him every success in his time at Argyle.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths and Gorman sign   Griffiths and Gorman sign EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 6:18 pm

Freathy wrote:
At least Johnny Gorman sounds like he could add some improvement to this shockingly bad 'team.'

The 32 year old part timer from Port Talbot, however.....

I agree with the Freathster.. Gorman could become a shining light in an horrendously inadequate squad.

With regards to Griffiths I have major doubts that a LOW Journeyman can add the sort of firepower required for a squad that has lost 10-0 to professional opposition this pre season. I suppose thats what a Division 4 Competitive Budget buys you these days.

Good luck lads believe me you will need it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths and Gorman sign   Griffiths and Gorman sign EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 6:37 pm

Cheap old bloke never played league football, and a cheap young bloke who's never played league football, fit in well with our non league dugouts, fletcher out!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths and Gorman sign   Griffiths and Gorman sign EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 6:58 pm

Very keen to see Gorman play to see what he can do. Griffiths will have alot of pressure on his shoulders i just hope he can cope with it.

Best of luck to both here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths and Gorman sign   Griffiths and Gorman sign EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 7:11 pm

Whilst new players are welcome,that's27 players on the books now.Far too big a squad,by league division 2 standards considering only 11 can start a match.There's going to be hell of a lot getting paid to sit in the grandstand on a saturday afternoon.Not good whichever way you look at it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths and Gorman sign   Griffiths and Gorman sign EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 7:14 pm

oddball wrote:
Whilst new players are welcome,that's27 players on the books now.Far too big a squad,by league division 2 standards considering only 11 can start a match.There's going to be hell of a lot getting paid to sit in the grandstand on a saturday afternoon.Not good whichever way you look at it.

Jed H-P is out on loan for 3 months to Bideford according to the the O/S and i believe a few others will leave on loan too.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths and Gorman sign   Griffiths and Gorman sign EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 7:29 pm

oddball wrote:

And nearly all of them are at best BS South/Evostick league standard. Carl the clueless can't get rid of them cos who would want them?
Back to top Go down
oxfordgreen

oxfordgreen

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths and Gorman sign   Griffiths and Gorman sign EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 7:33 pm

Freathy wrote:
oddball wrote:

And nearly all of them are at best BS South/Evostick league standard. Carl the clueless can't get rid of them cos who would want them?

You say that but how much of that level football have you watched. I saw alot of Oxford City last season they won promotion from Evostick prem into BS North. Our players are alot better quality than that.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths and Gorman sign   Griffiths and Gorman sign EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 8:04 pm

Griffiths joins from a "semi-pro" league-he's had a full time job as a fireman FFS

What the f**k is a "semi-pro" ? Does he get semi-booked for committing a foul? And semi-suspended for several semi-bookings? Am I a semi-alcohlic 'cos I go to the pub occasionally?
Or semi-unemployed because I don't work on Sundays, or semi-malnourished every time I feel a bit peckish?

He had a full time job as a fireman, therefore his football has not (until now) been as a professional.

Perhaps Harry and his management team are semi-crap, we have a semi-competitive budget and will get semi-promoted this season-or more likely semi-relegated.
Back to top Go down
Warny

Warny

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths and Gorman sign   Griffiths and Gorman sign EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 8:08 pm

Griffiths should jump ahead of Feeney and Chadwick immediately. I can see Fletch persisting with 4-4-2 so I'd team Griffiths up with Lecointe. He will have a lot of pressure placed on him from the first game. Gorman I don't know what to think. I'll remain 'whelmed' until I've seen them in full battle conditions.

The squad is in desperate need of trimming though. It's bloated and it seems we haven't learnt lessons from the recent past about having a large squad made of mostly filler.
Back to top Go down
Old Timer

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths and Gorman sign   Griffiths and Gorman sign EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 8:11 pm

I have a friend who supports a welsh team and says we are lucky to get Ryss Griffiths , never heard of the other one but look foward to seeing him tommorrow night , if Carl the creative genius decides to let either of them play.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths and Gorman sign   Griffiths and Gorman sign EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 8:18 pm

oxfordgreen wrote:
Freathy wrote:
oddball wrote:

You say that but how much of that level football have you watched. I saw alot of Oxford City last season they won promotion from Evostick prem into BS North. Our players are alot better quality than that.

They hide it well then
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths and Gorman sign   Griffiths and Gorman sign EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 8:28 pm

oxfordgreen wrote:
Freathy wrote:
oddball wrote:

A few of our present squad were humbled against an Evostick Southern League side live on national TV OG.

The worst performance I have ever witnessed as an Argyle fan.

Sadly the lessons from that awful night have still not been learnt.
This Squad are just as bad and Superfans are still loitering the directors box pig
Back to top Go down
oxfordgreen

oxfordgreen

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths and Gorman sign   Griffiths and Gorman sign EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 8:35 pm

Freathy wrote:
oxfordgreen wrote:
Freathy wrote:
oddball wrote:

They hide it well then

Ok if you think that but you can't really compare our players to that level if you don't watch games at those levels. If you said BS Prem then i would have agreed that a few of are players are around that level.
Back to top Go down
oxfordgreen

oxfordgreen

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths and Gorman sign   Griffiths and Gorman sign EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 8:37 pm

Arch Stanton wrote:
oxfordgreen wrote:
Freathy wrote:
oddball wrote:

A few of our present squad were humbled against an Evostick Southern League side live on national TV OG.

The worst performance I have ever witnessed as an Argyle fan.

Sadly the lessons from that awful night have still not been learnt.
This Squad are just as bad and Superfans are still loitering the directors box pig

Yes they did. That was the" best their team has performed" (from their own fans) and that was are lowest moment before we made additions to our team.
Back to top Go down
Flat_Track_Bully

Flat_Track_Bully

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths and Gorman sign   Griffiths and Gorman sign EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 8:46 pm

If the kitty really is empty, then loan signings are going to be the way forward. The lad sounds promising, so lets see how he turns out. Another couple of good loanees might make the difference.

The squad size thing is a bit bizarre. We have around 25 players, but it doesn't feel like we really have much in the way of 'options'. I suppose that there is a preponderance of first/second year pros in the squad, so the wage level isn't probably as bad as a '25 man squad' sounds. Loan a few of the young 'uns, like Chenoweth, Vassel and Copp, out and bring in a few loanees that can fit into the first team.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths and Gorman sign   Griffiths and Gorman sign EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 9:25 pm

It's 26 players in total.

Goalkeepers
1 Jake Cole
13 Ollie Chenoweth
20 Rene Gilmartin

Defenders
2 Durrell Berry
3 Robbie Williams
5 Darren Purse
4 Maxime Blanchard
14 Onismor Bhasera
17 Curtis Nelson
18 Ladjie Soukouna
23 Jamie Richards

Midfielders
6 Conor Hourihane
8 Luke Young
15 Paul Wotton
16 Jamie Lowry
19 Joe Lennox
24 Jordan Copp
26 Jed Harper-Penman
28 Johnny Gorman

Strikers
7 Paris Cowan-Hall
9 Nick Chadwick
10 Rhys Griffiths
11 Warren Feeney
21 Matt Lecointe
22 Jared Sims
25 Isaac Vassell

Back to top Go down
Old Timer

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths and Gorman sign   Griffiths and Gorman sign EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 9:30 pm

God that is a patheticaly weak squad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths and Gorman sign   Griffiths and Gorman sign Empty

Back to top Go down

Griffiths and Gorman sign
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next