Freathy
mouldyoldgoat
Coxside_Green
Tgwu
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Griffiths Signs - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Griffiths Signs   Griffiths Signs - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 9:59 pm

None of us have the slightest idea what offers this bloke may or may not have had previously but as always it comes down to having to be bad news for Argyle. Not everyone craves for a career change. This bloke has made a pretty good living with a day job and a pretty good living from football if you add them both together financially. But, perhaps he has come to a stage in his life where he just wants to have a go at the league game just to prove to himself before he can no longer do it that he could have if he had wanted to. We approached and made him an offer which other clubs didn't at this point in time so it is with Argyle that he has taken his chance. Why can't that be the truth of the matter just as easily.
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths Signs   Griffiths Signs - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 10:13 pm

Sensible, we've had conflicting references to his past. Some say he has turned down previous leagues opportunites whilst the man himself is quoted as saying this is a dream move come true. Who to believe eh. Just a pity our professional football club appears to be no longer in the business of signing professional players.

I've not seen contract details obviously...is he our 1st part-timer?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths Signs   Griffiths Signs - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 10:19 pm

A dream move to Plymouth Argyle.Haven't heard that in all my time supporting Argyle.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths Signs   Griffiths Signs - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 10:44 pm

Conflicting references from whom exactly Coxside? This bloke has hardly been on the radar of Argyle supporters for years has he. In fact there is really little known about him at all. There is absolutely no evidence to say he hasn't had offers just as easily as there is no evidence that says he has. I'm saying he may well have had some and am basing that on his goal scoring record in the Welsh league. I am suggesting my "last go" analogy is just as easily believable and any other. How about he thought it was too late ergo the offer from a league club, in this case Argyle is a dream come true at this later stage in his life. Why not believe that? Because it's Argyle and we shouldn't believe anything good in anything that happens.
Back to top Go down
Highwayman

Highwayman

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths Signs   Griffiths Signs - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 10:53 pm

Can't find the link anymore but fairly sure it was Wycombe and/or Tranmere. Good luck to him regardless.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths Signs   Griffiths Signs - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 10:53 pm

Griffiths gets his lines straight out of the book of football quotations.There is little known about him...au contraire Rodney I think most fans could give you an exact run down of his goals for the last six seasons.Thing is not one professional club in the whole country would touch him with a barge pole until Argyle came along.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths Signs   Griffiths Signs - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 11:06 pm

This is taken from Wikepedia (which gives even more impressive stats on his career in Wales):

"Possible Transfers

In December 2006 there was a possible transfer to Wrexham but Griffiths chose to remain semi-pro at Llanelli.
In December 2007, he had a successful trial period on loan to Swiss club Aarau, during which he also scored in a friendly match. Neither club agreed on a transfer, therefore Griffiths finished his season in Wales.
"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths Signs   Griffiths Signs - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 11:08 pm

And taken from a BBC report on his return to Port Talbot:

"Griffiths was linked with a possible transfer to Wrexham in December 2006, but he chose to remain semi-pro at Llanelli.
And Wales assistant coach Osian Roberts said on Twitter he knew of two League Two clubs who wanted to sign the striker this summer
."
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths Signs   Griffiths Signs - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 11:12 pm

I think he could be a good signing for us. Big players can do well in this league, and at 32 he seems to know how to play the game. He may only have 2 - 3 seasons in him (as a pro) but if he scores at least 10 goals next season it's a good gamble.

I much prefer this signing than Cowan Hall.?

Last edited by Chemical Ali on Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
downthetrack

downthetrack

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths Signs   Griffiths Signs - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 11:12 pm

Would you rather him.or Cureton or Gow ?I know who i would have. Razz
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths Signs   Griffiths Signs - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 11:15 pm

Cureton may score but didn't do so well in his loan spell. Gow is a luxury player who can look good against crap sides but goes missing too often (and is a lazy bastard).
Back to top Go down
downthetrack

downthetrack

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths Signs   Griffiths Signs - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 11:19 pm

So was Nards.Don't be jealous
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths Signs   Griffiths Signs - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 11:20 pm

Ac mae hyn gan Youtube yw'r clincher argyhoeddiadol.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths Signs   Griffiths Signs - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 11:23 pm

Well there you go Del Boy (Oddball). Apparently two clubs would have signed him in league football. Shows how much us supporters know eh! You clearly don't know that much about him then. If you know about his goal scoring in the last six seasons then perhaps you could give me chapter and verse without looking it up on which matches he scored in and which ones he didn't. Personally I'd never heard of him until he was given a trial with Argyle and how many had I wonder.
Back to top Go down
Flat_Track_Bully

Flat_Track_Bully

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths Signs   Griffiths Signs - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 11:26 pm

Can't help thinking that it might have been better to wait till we saw him in one of the friendlies coming up against bigger clubs with better players before deciding whether to offer him a contract. However, if he's an improvement on Feeney/Chadwick in terms of goalscoring then at least that would be a plus.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths Signs   Griffiths Signs - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 11:27 pm

knecht wrote:

He does speak a bit of Welsh.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths Signs   Griffiths Signs - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 11:31 pm

Keepitgreen wrote:
He does speak a bit of Welsh.

Is that what it is? I thought there had been a flu epidemic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths Signs   Griffiths Signs - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 11:32 pm

knecht wrote:
And taken from a BBC report on his return to Port Talbot:

"Griffiths was linked with a possible transfer to Wrexham in December 2006, but he chose to remain semi-pro at Llanelli.
And Wales assistant coach Osian Roberts said on Twitter he knew of two League Two clubs who wanted to sign the striker this summer
."

He was 26 yrs old when Wrexham were "possibly" going to sign him.

With regards to the quote from Mr Roberts, wanted or showed an interest in signing him there is a big difference between the two.

My own personal opinion is that Argyles was the only firm offer on the table and he has managed to secure a career break from Gwents finest pole in order to finally achieve his dream.
The fact remains he has been banging goals in for fun in a pretty average non league setting and no one has signed him on professional terms before.

I wish the fella good luck but I am not expecting him to reach the dizzy heights of a double figure goal return set against the hairy assed time served 6 footers he is going to be up against in Division 4 thats for sure.

Last edited by Arch Stanton on Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
downthetrack

downthetrack

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths Signs   Griffiths Signs - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 11:34 pm

knecht wrote:

Scrape the barrel I've seen bigger crowds at Topsham.
Back to top Go down
Highwayman

Highwayman

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths Signs   Griffiths Signs - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 11:35 pm

Found this about Feeney & thought it funny lol!

Warren Feeney Song

"We love our Itsy Bitsy,
Teeny Weeny,
Baldy Headed,
Warren Feeney,
Plays in Dundee and he can't score a goal!"

To the tune of Yellow Poka Dot Bikini.

Northern Ireland's Green & White Army sang this in Slovenia

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths Signs   Griffiths Signs - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 11:36 pm

I agree with your first two sentences, Arch. I was just looking for 'evidence' rather than uninformed speculation.

Like Brent and Fletcher, I think the jury is still out on Griffiths but even if he comes up with a quarter of the goals he has scored, it will have been a good signing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths Signs   Griffiths Signs - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 11:37 pm

downthetrack wrote:
Would you rather him.or Cureton or Gow ?I know who i would have. Razz

I'd rather have Rory Fallon back than either of those two Razz

Cureton went to school with my granddad and he was slow back then. I'd back Feeney to score more.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths Signs   Griffiths Signs - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 11:47 pm

knecht wrote:
I agree with your first two sentences, Arch. I was just looking for 'evidence' rather than uninformed speculation.

Like Brent and Fletcher, I think the jury is still out on Griffiths but even if he comes up with a quarter of the goals he has scored, it will have been a good signing.

You need to be cute as a target man in this Division and I dont believe he has gained enough experience from LOW football and or coaching in the past to survive week in week out against blood and snotter centre halves.

Maybe Fletch could bring in Mickey Evans, Tommy T or Barry Hayles for a bit of one on one coaching with the guy.

Im not knocking him for pursuing his life long dream but at 32 it must be difficult to suddenly change your style of play in order to compete sucessfully against far superior opposition then he has been used to up to now.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths Signs   Griffiths Signs - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 7:11 am

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
Well there you go Del Boy (Oddball). Apparently two clubs would have signed him in league football.
Burton Albion and Dagenham.

geek
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Griffiths Signs   Griffiths Signs - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 7:12 am

Highwayman wrote:
Found this about Feeney & thought it funny lol!

Warren Feeney Song

"We love our Itsy Bitsy,
Teeny Weeny,
Baldy Headed,
Warren Feeney,
Plays in Dundee and he can't score a goal!"

To the tune of Yellow Poka Dot Bikini.

Northern Ireland's Green & White Army sang this in Slovenia

Force a verdict will love that one.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Sponsored content