Mock Cuncher
mouldyoldgoat
Rickler
Chemical Ali
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage

Big news tomorrow? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big news tomorrow?   Big news tomorrow? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 9:58 am

Rather puzzling, to say the least.

Everyone present on Twitter and other social media streams are mentally prepared for instant updates and prepared to react accordingly.

So to use Twitter in a way that creates a buzz of expectation and then roll out notably underwhelming news (for us, anyway), is a little bit "Boy Who Cried Wolf", really.

The "Did You Know" meme is already a tad tedious.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big news tomorrow?   Big news tomorrow? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 10:08 am

This country, it's 'communiction' networks and businesses, have become nothing more than half a million little children jumping up and down, shouting .... Me ..Me... give me your attention, not them. I'm afraid Argyle's little pigtails look a bit ratty at the moment, and I'm just not very impressed with the antics.

There are some things you just can't polish, no matter how much you employ a few locals as door to door salesmen.

Last edited by Penz on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gasser9

PostSubject: Re: Big news tomorrow?   Big news tomorrow? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 10:08 am

Tringreen wrote:
'Exciting times ahead' lol!

As usual, all spin and no substance. Preaching to the converted.

Well for the first time since I joined this site I have found something I can agree with you on.

Totally underwhelming!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big news tomorrow?   Big news tomorrow? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 10:09 am

Puzzling not really just downright poor PR work.El Prez now trotting out the line"Buy a season ticket and we might get that elusive striker for the number 10 shirt".End of last season it was "Stay off the pitch and the club wont be subject to a fine so more money to sign that elusive striker"...Moved the goalposts but its still the same old record.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Big news tomorrow?   Big news tomorrow? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 10:11 am

Doesn't seem to come from the Peter Jones school of comms. Would expect more from someone like him.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Big news tomorrow?   Big news tomorrow? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 10:11 am

Season ticket/ membership packages must be selling slower than anticipated. I think thelast figure quoted for membership packages was around the 3500 mark- but how many are green/ green+?

Keeping pretty much the same poor squad as last season, underwhelming player signings and Carl's utterances about failure in the transfer market isn't going to get many floaters to sign up.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Big news tomorrow?   Big news tomorrow? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 10:12 am

gasser9 wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
'Exciting times ahead' lol!

As usual, all spin and no substance. Preaching to the converted.

Well for the first time since I joined this site I have found something I can agree with you on.

Totally underwhelming!!!

You wanna try agreeing with me more often. I'm usually accurate in my estimations.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big news tomorrow?   Big news tomorrow? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 10:15 am

Yes, it could be the poor season ticket sales are the REAL reason for no decent signings as yet, all part of strict budgetary control. I could of told them that if they had asked.
If they're not careful, the club will end up making the same mistake as the present government is making with the economy. Healthy plant growth needs a lot of soil preparation and nutrients.... not a miserly retreat to the shed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big news tomorrow?   Big news tomorrow? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 10:32 am

Dougie wrote:
Doesn't seem to come from the Peter Jones school of comms. Would expect more from someone like him.

I was thinking that too. doesn't seem like his style at all. Is he behind any of the comms coming from the club. Last time round he did a good job of it and I was expecting more of the same but it all looks a bit lame at the moment. In fact it has more in common with the Stapleton school of PR.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Big news tomorrow?   Big news tomorrow? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 10:40 am

Maybe Nikkk should purchase a few hundred memberships and give them to the Nool to hand out to deserving cases ?

Even some minor cash backed ambition from the top might help.

The club has such a terrible image that none but the terminally addicted are going to be interested.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big news tomorrow?   Big news tomorrow? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 11:10 am

And of course, with this silly headline "membership" thing that doesn't neccessarily have anything to do with seaon tickets as such, the club run an even greater risk of falling foulf of the accessibility thing I have kept harping on about in the past.

Whenever I speak about Argyle to non regulars in the city, it's amazing how many have still believed it's not possible to go to a game on the spur of the moment if you haven't pre purchased a ticket. This membership thing will only make that misconception accross the city even worse. You start giving the impression that i's a "members' club" and you run the risk of it becoming an insignificant ghetto.... we all know nowadays anyway how crowds no longer increase dramatically after a few wins, that was always the case in the past.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big news tomorrow?   Big news tomorrow? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 11:14 am

It gone down a storm on Facebook and over the road as well.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I can't believe Chris has trotted out the line about a new striker if people buy more shirts and memberships though!

This smacks of the club thinking we had a player in the bag but the deal has fallen through or stalled. Maybe it is/was Connell and it may still go through?

If it is, I think it was be a great signing for us, even if some of the praise for him is over the top! I mean he scored 11 goals in Division 4 last season for the runaway winners who would be creating a lot more chances for him that we would.

The other player rumour I saw was Paul Robinson, formerly of Bolton, who is supposedly training with us. A 33 yr old left-back cheers

If there is or was no other big news, I would say we all have a case for sueing the club for false advertising, and I still maintain that Newell leaving a spud on his dinner plate would've been more sensational.
Back to top Go down
swampy

PostSubject: Re: Big news tomorrow?   Big news tomorrow? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 11:18 am

oddball wrote:
Puzzling not really just downright poor PR work.El Prez now trotting out the line"Buy a season ticket and we might get that elusive striker for the number 10 shirt".End of last season it was "Stay off the pitch and the club wont be subject to a fine so more money to sign that elusive striker"...Moved the goalposts but its still the same old record.
What do you expect now he is the unofficial spokesperson for the club? Remember when he used to be fighting on behalf of the fans.? Far more suited to that he was.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Big news tomorrow?   Big news tomorrow? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 11:19 am

I agree with that Penz. The pay on the day premium is a nonsense. And the inclusivity is further magnified by the Gasboard set up. The way Argyle dealt with a big crowd last year also put people off. The barriers to football going need to come tumbling down if clubs like Argyle are going to thrive or just survive.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big news tomorrow?   Big news tomorrow? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 11:27 am

Greenjock wrote:

I can't believe Chris has trotted out the line about a new striker if people buy more shirts and memberships though!

This smacks of the club thinking we had a player in the bag but the deal has fallen through or stalled. Maybe it is/was Connell and it may still go through?

If it is, I think it was be a great signing for us, even if some of the praise for him is over the top! I mean he scored 11 goals in Division 4 last season for the runaway winners who would be creating a lot more chances for him that we would.

The other player rumour I saw was Paul Robinson, formerly of Bolton, who is supposedly training with us. A 33 yr old left-back cheers

If there is or was no other big news, I would say we all have a case for sueing the club for false advertising, and I still maintain that Newell leaving a spud on his dinner plate would've been more sensational.

My thoughts exactly Jock.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Big news tomorrow?   Big news tomorrow? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 11:28 am

As posted on the Connell thread, it doesn't appear to be anything other than Twitter bollocks (don't tell Smiffy/X Isle) according to the local Swindon rag.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Big news tomorrow?   Big news tomorrow? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 11:31 am

Only at Argo can no news be big news. Not even the Avivas are impressed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big news tomorrow?   Big news tomorrow? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 11:36 am

Maybe that's why the news wasn't accompanied by:

Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Big news tomorrow?   Big news tomorrow? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 11:44 am

Greenjock wrote:

Laughing

Andy_S's anger is always a great soother to my own problems.

Quote :
One assumes that that will be the Head of Communications then.

I give you the Rick Cowdery!

I did hear, some time ago, that Cowdery was actually buggering off to take up some post in the church.

Can't be gone quick enough, imho of course!
I wonder if this is because Rick ignored PASOTI's advice regarding the ATD/Brent thing.

Or if there's any other reason to put his angry hat on his angry (Ghost??) head regarding the communications chap given nothing to communicate,
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Big news tomorrow?   Big news tomorrow? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 11:47 am

Greenjock wrote:

Now I would expect ATD to be sceptible about things and its telling that the normally 'ok with whatever the club does'-ers I not fallen in behind this one. What is equally telling is those still being oh so accepting of towing the line.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big news tomorrow?   Big news tomorrow? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 11:50 am

Mock Cuncher wrote:
Greenjock wrote:

Laughing

Andy_S's anger is always a great soother to my own problems.

Quote :
One assumes that that will be the Head of Communications then.

I give you the Rick Cowdery!

I did hear, some time ago, that Cowdery was actually buggering off to take up some post in the church.

Can't be gone quick enough, imho of course!
I wonder if this is because Rick ignored PASOTI's advice regarding the ATD/Brent thing.

Or if there's any other reason to put his angry hat on his angry (Ghost??) head regarding the communications chap given nothing to communicate,

The GHOST, is only brought out for really angry occasions, and he's stopped monitoring my log on and off times because it was a total waste of his anger.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Big news tomorrow?   Big news tomorrow? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 11:53 am

Angry_S is Florrie not sure about Ghost.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big news tomorrow?   Big news tomorrow? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 11:54 am

Well that was as big an anti-climax as when the forza crappa flag was unveiled for the first time.

Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Big news tomorrow?   Big news tomorrow? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 11:55 am

What is amusing is the fact that these ambitious control freaks continue to get away with it.

As I have said before, 'In the land of the blind, the one eyed Aviva boy is king.'

Meanwhile, on Pasoti's Little Brother, there has been one word only today................ 'end'............... says it all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big news tomorrow?   Big news tomorrow? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 12:13 pm

I was talking to a bloke this morning in the queue in my village shop whose sister knows someone whose next-door neighbour has a good source at Argyle. Apparently before the end of today there will be another MAJOR announcement from Argyle so keep watching the site for up-dates.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big news tomorrow?   Big news tomorrow? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Big news tomorrow?
Page 3 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next