Czarcasm
Angry
Freathy
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Grovehill

The new manager thread - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 23, 2023 6:57 pm

Nobody mentioned John Carver?

Was No 2 to Paul Mariner at a difficult time for the Club. Currently helping turn base metal into gold as No 2 to Steve Clarke in the Scotland set up.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 23, 2023 7:02 pm

great start to the new era  at stoke  0-0 against millwall

19 attempts at goal 1 on target compared to millwalls 2 attempts and 1 on target

Grovehill wrote:
Nobody mentioned John Carver?

Was No 2 to Paul Mariner at a difficult time for the Club. Currently helping turn base metal into gold as No 2 to Steve Clarke in the Scotland set up.

hes a great coach/assistant he isnt a good manager. he proven that a few times. He was fantastic here and given mariner (god rest his soul) was completely out of his depth and clueless when the board appointed him manager/head of coaching after spending all of his coaching days in the states he was exactly what he needed and the players.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 24, 2023 10:38 am

There is a great deal of urgency needed with this appointment. I know Hallett won't release much in the way of funds for much needed strengthening in January, particularly up top and defence, but we could still look at loans (we can do this as loan players will likely be sent back e.g. Warrington and I think we're also likely to lose Azaz as Villa will get offers for him). We don't have the luxury of time for a long drawn out recruitment process.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 24, 2023 12:00 pm

Freathy wrote:
There is a great deal of urgency needed with this appointment.  I know Hallett won't release much in the way of funds for much needed strengthening in January, particularly up top and defence, but we could still look at loans (we can do this as loan players will likely be sent back e.g. Warrington and I think we're also likely to lose Azaz as Villa will get offers for him).  We don't have the luxury of time for a long drawn out recruitment process.

Warrington is unfortunate but yes his loan should be cancelled. With the form of Houghton and Randall in that defensive midfield position he just hasnt been able to get game time or take advantage of the time he has been given.

while i agree we do need to hire a new manager asap i dont want us to rush it as we need the right man so we cant skip the due diligence stage. We have gotten it right the last 4 times we hired a new manager (Sheridan, Adams, Lowe and $cuhmacher) so i believe we will get the right guy and he is given at least a few weeks in january to go over the squad before going into the market for what he feels we need.
Back to top Go down
Graiser

Graiser

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 24, 2023 12:18 pm

I don’t buy this no transfer funds left, i don’t expect the club to state otherwise as that sends out the wrong message to other prospective selling/loaning clubs
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 24, 2023 2:09 pm

Heard a strong rumour that Exeter's Gary Caldwell will be the next Argyle Manager £200k Compensation.

Hallett held out for more, but that was as much as they could raise!
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 24, 2023 9:29 pm

Graiser wrote:
I don’t buy this no transfer funds left, i don’t expect the club to state otherwise as that sends out the wrong message to other prospective selling/loaning clubs
I dont buy it either there should be plenty of money sloshing about up there now the money they have earnt in the last few years they have earnt a tidy some with prize money for promotion & winning the title the money from the government for the pandemic that’s without increase of season ticket sales and that’s without this season with home park sold out for every game this season that’s without big name concerts during the summer I could go on and on wasn’t there a youth player or academy player that got sold to chelsea for a fee …I could go on…they have earnt tidy some since hallett & parky begged the fans to keep there season ticket money ..so does that answer question there should be plenty up there time to repay them fans Mr hallett
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 26, 2023 11:33 am

Updated odds.... I've trimmed the list down as 50/1 and 80/1 odds arent going to be serious contenders. (from sky bet correct as of 26/12)

Gus Poyet 9/4
Leighton Baines 7/2
Dean Holden 9/2
John Eustace 9/2
Neil Warnock 7/1
Paul Cook 15/2
Nathan Jones 10/1
Gaute Helstrup 12/1
Richie Wellens 14/1
Scott Parker 14/1
Brian Barry-Murphy 16/1
Dick Schreuder 16/1
Per Mertesacker 16/1
Lilian Nalis 20/1
Luke Williams 20/1
Michael Duff 20/1
Jimmy Thelin 25/1
Nigel Pearson 25/1
Steve Cotterill 25/1
Alex Neil 33/1
Damien Duff 33/1
Gary Rowett 33/1
John Mousinho 33/1
Karl Robinson 33/1
Tony Mowbray 33/1
Paul Heckingbottom 40/1

I wouldnt be happy if Gus Poyet (currently managing the Greek national team) got the job to be honest. Hasnt done much since he was brighton manager where he got himself sacked for off field incidents.  Other than Nathan Jones, John Eustace and Tony Mowbray no one is really screaming hire him to me. Nalis could be an interesting appointment not sure what he has done managing wise or what he has been up to coaching wise since he left us to scream hire him to me bar that he once played here.

Last edited by Angry on Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Graiser

Graiser

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 26, 2023 11:49 am

Looking like it’s Eustace
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 26, 2023 12:24 pm

Warnock till the end of the season for me, he'll keep us up and it will be a pretty seamless transition as he's already a part of the club in all but name, wouldn't require top to bottom changes and a horde of new back room staff coming in at a tricky time of year either, I'm also quite keen on his get into em, fcuk em up approach Very Happy
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 26, 2023 1:15 pm

I believe per mertersacker now head of Arsenals  youth academy has put in a application for the job as he wants to try his hand at management in his own right tbh his done a good with the youth academy as well that might just tick all the boxes for Hallett & co
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 28, 2023 5:06 pm

Interviews for the next Argyle manager are expected to take place next week, with the club aiming for an appointment before the FA Cup third round tie against Sutton United at Home Park on Saturday, January 6.

PL
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 29, 2023 2:59 pm

Going to be a bit awkward when the candidates ask about the January budget
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 29, 2023 8:50 pm

Freathy wrote:
Going to be a bit awkward when the candidates ask about the January budget

Surely a good coach's first job is to make sure he's getting everything he can out of the players available?

Anyone can say "Yeah, I'll make the team better if you give me a few million to spend on players"

I'd say anyone put off by a low budget isn't really worth having.

Having said that, there's few Managers in the Premier who improve players, most just buy in good players.

I suspect there are more good coaches in the Third Division than in the Premier League
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 30, 2023 10:45 am

the current top ten odds as of 30/12 for the job....

Gus Poyet 9/4 (why?)

Dean Holden 9/2 (again why?)

Scott Parker 9/2 (did good at fulham and bournemouth while in this league shite in the prem but thats not a concern for us at the moment cant crack belgium either but hey ho but his backroom team he always has with him are all at spurs so if he comes he comes alone which may not be a good thing but could be a good appointment)

Leighton Baines 6/1 (what am i missing about this guy that hes so high up the list despite having no experience and managing a shite youth team? maybe one for the future but not now)

John Eustace 13/2  (good odds worth a punt at that could be a good appointment too may need a keith downding type assistant to give him more experience)

Neil Warnock 7/1 (i have this funny feeling the club will appoint him till the end of the season)

Michael Duff 10/1 (if he comes whittaker will be off as he doesnt rate him)

Gaute Helstrup 11/1 (no idea who he is so cant comment)

Nathan Jones 12/1 (would be a good appointment went for the job before and missed out to del bhey)

Paul Cook 12/1 (if we where league one he would be ideal not sure how he would do in the championship)
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 31, 2023 1:48 pm

Over on pasoti they getting excited that it could be Mark Cooper. Had to look him up. Been managing since 2004 with 11 clubs, mostly non-league and with a pretty average record. Currently at Yeovil who are in the division above Plymouth Parkway FFS! Only pasoti would get excited at something like that. Jeeezuz wept I really hope Hallett won't go THAT cheap!
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 31, 2023 2:04 pm

Freathy wrote:
Over on pasoti they getting excited that it could be Mark Cooper.  Had to look him up.  Been managing since 2004 with 11 clubs, mostly non-league and with a pretty average record.  Currently at Yeovil who are in the division above Plymouth Parkway FFS!  Only pasoti would get excited at something like that.  Jeeezuz wept I really hope Hallett won't go THAT cheap!
No fook that that would show super sighs real ambition that lol
John Eustice would be my choice with a decent assistant with him also
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 31, 2023 2:08 pm

Angry wrote:
Updated odds.... I've trimmed the list down as 50/1 and 80/1 odds arent going to be serious contenders.  (from sky bet correct as of 26/12)

Gus Poyet 9/4
Leighton Baines 7/2
Dean Holden 9/2
John Eustace 9/2
Neil Warnock 7/1
Paul Cook 15/2
Nathan Jones 10/1
Gaute Helstrup 12/1
Richie Wellens 14/1
Scott Parker 14/1
Brian Barry-Murphy 16/1
Dick Schreuder 16/1
Per Mertesacker 16/1
Lilian Nalis 20/1
Luke Williams 20/1
Michael Duff 20/1
Jimmy Thelin 25/1
Nigel Pearson 25/1
Steve Cotterill 25/1
Alex Neil 33/1
Damien Duff 33/1
Gary Rowett 33/1
John Mousinho 33/1
Karl Robinson 33/1
Tony Mowbray 33/1
Paul Heckingbottom 40/1

I wouldnt be happy if Gus Poyet (currently managing the Greek national team) got the job to be honest. Hasnt done much since he was brighton manager where he got himself sacked for off field incidents.  Other than Nathan Jones, John Eustace and Tony Mowbray no one is really screaming hire him to me. Nalis could be an interesting appointment not sure what he has done managing wise or what he has been up to coaching wise since he left us to scream hire him to me bar that he once played here.
blimey there’s a few shockers on that list FFS
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 31, 2023 2:16 pm

I'd have any of them on that betting odds list over Mark Cooper. He's not only on the managerial merry-go-round but the NON-LEAGUE manager merry-go-round FFS! I can't believe the excitement building on paosti that Hallett could actually hire this person. WTF is wrong with them?
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 31, 2023 2:25 pm

I wonder if Lee Carsley is in the frame. Not mentioned much, but has done a great job with England Under 21's and is a highly rated coach. Possibly with Baines as his assistant? Would be known to Dewsnip.

Succession planning seems to be the Argyle way.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 31, 2023 2:48 pm

Freathy wrote:
Over on pasoti they getting excited that it could be Mark Cooper.  Had to look him up.  Been managing since 2004 with 11 clubs, mostly non-league and with a pretty average record.  Currently at Yeovil who are in the division above Plymouth Parkway FFS!  Only pasoti would get excited at something like that.  Jeeezuz wept I really hope Hallett won't go THAT cheap!

ffs bet they still want luggy back for a 3rd spell too. I wouldnt have thought Cooper would even get on the shortlist unless there are serious financial problems we dont know about that can only afford someone like him.

wonder if they want Lee Johnson considered after he got sacked yesterday after 22 games in charge after all he had our Youth Team manager Darren Way as his assistant so naturally he's top runner
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 31, 2023 2:56 pm

Angry wrote:
Freathy wrote:

ffs bet they still want luggy back for a 3rd spell too. I wouldnt have thought Cooper would even get on the shortlist unless there are serious financial problems we dont know about that can only afford someone like him.

If Argo were in the financial brown stuff I'd have thought they'd probably stick with Nance and Dewsnip for now. I really hope Mark Cooper is just a completely unfounded rumour and nothing more otherwise we are down for definite. Jeez this is bad.
Back to top Go down
MTM

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 31, 2023 2:57 pm

Cooper is a good shout. Doing a great job at Yeovil town. Ticks all the boxes. What’s not to like?
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 31, 2023 3:02 pm

MTM wrote:
Cooper is a good shout. Doing a great job at Yeovil town. Ticks all the boxes. What’s not to like?

I'll bite. What boxes does he tick exactly?
Back to top Go down
MTM

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 31, 2023 3:08 pm

Mostly the square ones but there could be others.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The new manager thread   The new manager thread - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

The new manager thread
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next