GreenSam
Czarcasm
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Pete1886

Pete1886

The New Grandstand - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The New Grandstand   The New Grandstand - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 7:23 pm

How will access work when the redevelopment is underway? It won't from the front of the stadium that's for sure. My betting is that it will be down the side of the Lyndhurst and from behind the stadium.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The New Grandstand   The New Grandstand - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 8:13 pm

Greenjock wrote:
hairy j wrote:
Scaremongering poppycock on this thread. One thing good about the Brent deal when he took on the club are these plans. Central Park needs something other than open green spaces that are used only in the Summer months by people and all year round by dog walkers and joggers.

People come out with - what do we need an ice rink for! Because we don't have one is the answer and it all adds to the city as it is a resource. What do we need a conference hall for! Same reason. It'll create jobs and add to the city.

As an Argyle fan I'd love it if he ploughed money into the club but as a resident, the other stuff is more important.

There will be a grandstand and it'll be a massive improvement on what is there now.

I take it you don't live adjacent to home park then?

Of course icerinks add to a city, and conference halls if you attend geeky gaming conferences in costume, but only in the right place. I don't live in Plymouth but I know it needs developing, I also know how little green there is left in Britain and spoiling parks is all too common.

I have a feeling that if it were anyone other than James Brent submitting these plans there would be widespread outrage. In fact I'm so outraged I'm going for a dump!

I agree wih Hairy to an extent but there are plenty of brownfield sites to build an ice rink.the horrid staples building for example the staples building.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: The New Grandstand   The New Grandstand - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 9:06 pm

Pete1886 wrote:
How will access work when the redevelopment is underway? It won't from the front of the stadium that's for sure. My betting is that it will be down the side of the Lyndhurst and from behind the stadium.

Correct
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The New Grandstand   The New Grandstand - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 9:27 pm

Jock, Plymouth has an abundance of parks all over the place and if not parks then green spaces. Central Park is used by a few and protected as usual by nimbys who, having bought a property near a football ground spend some of their Saturdays trying to park cars anywhere so that others can't. If you like picking your way around dog shit then you are welcome to Central Park as it is. It is also fairly central in the City and a good place to join sporting venues together in my opinion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The New Grandstand   The New Grandstand - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 9:34 pm

It's a park. Parks shouldn't be built on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The New Grandstand   The New Grandstand - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 9:34 pm

Bollocks. Central Park are the bequeathed lungs of the city and should be protected as such. I would rather the club moved to Ivybridge than develop mass fast food establishments.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The New Grandstand   The New Grandstand - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 9:52 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
Jock, Plymouth has an abundance of parks all over the place and if not parks then green spaces. Central Park is used by a few and protected as usual by nimbys who, having bought a property near a football ground spend some of their Saturdays trying to park cars anywhere so that others can't. If you like picking your way around dog shit then you are welcome to Central Park as it is. It is also fairly central in the City and a good place to join sporting venues together in my opinion.

Missing the point.

Plymouth city centre is full of crumbling empty concrete monstrosities which could support his ventures , if this is going to be built why on central park? Why do we need this when half of the bottom of town is empty?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The New Grandstand   The New Grandstand - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 10:02 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:

Well perhaps more should be made of the park but once these green spaces are gone they never come back.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: The New Grandstand   The New Grandstand - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 10:29 pm

Hugh Watt wrote:
Sensiblegreeny wrote:

Missing the point.

Plymouth city centre is full of crumbling empty concrete monstrosities which could support his ventures , if this is going to be built why on central park? Why do we need this when half of the bottom of town is empty?

Jamesy Boy don't wanna build in that part of town next to tacky market stalls. He wants to build in Central Park next to (the £43 million monstrosity) the Life Centre.
Can't blame him, I guess.

What I don't get is the ice rink thing. If Brent was going to build an Arena that could accommodate the same sort of capacity as the Pavilions, and then really push to start up an Ice Hockey team with the ambition of competing Nationally, I'd be impressed. But this pissy-arsed rink is going to be some half-baked recreational facility that will barely serve any more purpose than the one in the Pavilions does at the minute. The Pavilions rink is dying of death anyway. I don't understand the need for another. If you are going to build in Central Park - especially if it exceeds the footprint of the current carpark, there needs to be a totally compelling case for it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The New Grandstand   The New Grandstand - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 10:40 pm

There was a time when Plymouth was nought but green fields and if nobody had built anything then green fields it would have stayed and Plymouth would not exist. It's just my opinion and I don't expect others to neccessarily agree to anything being done with Central Park. I happen to think this isn't neccessarily a bad development and I have no problem with some of the park being used for sporting type ventures and things that can be used by people within the City and coming to the City to spend a few quid. It isn't as if parks are treated very well either as places for kids to play. I live very close to one and watch the cars arrive with the dogs every day. A lot of these dog owners don't pick up and some even think the kids trying to play on their dog shit box is an inconvenience. A pertinent question might be to those objecting "what do you do in Central Park and how often".

The bottom half of the City Centre is a tad tired to say the least and that area is a different argument to this one. Eventually a lot of it will be developed with no doubt some form of housing or other. The concept of this whole area being for nothing other than pubs, shops and theatre type venues is not sustainable. The rent for these properties is not attractive hence them being empty. It isn't as if the City Centre is the centre of the City either.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: The New Grandstand   The New Grandstand - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 10:49 pm

How many Bingo halls does Plymouth have?

Does it need another one at HP?

It will be interesting to see what 'ventures' Brent keeps for himself within the Grandstand developement, and those that Argyle will collect revenue streams from?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The New Grandstand   The New Grandstand - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 11:16 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Hugh Watt wrote:
Sensiblegreeny wrote:

Missing the point.

Jamesy Boy don't wanna build in that part of town next to tacky market stalls. He wants to build in Central Park next to (the £43 million monstrosity) the Life Centre.
Can't blame him, I guess.

What I don't get is the ice rink thing. If Brent was going to build an Arena that could accommodate the same sort of capacity as the Pavilions, and then really push to start up an Ice Hockey team with the ambition of competing Nationally, I'd be impressed. But this pissy-arsed rink is going to be some half-baked recreational facility that will barely serve any more purpose than the one in the Pavilions does at the minute. The Pavilions rink is dying of death anyway. I don't understand the need for another. If you are going to build in Central Park - especially if it exceeds the footprint of the current carpark, there needs to be a totally compelling case for it.

I don't think Brent is particularly bothered about home park, the council want something built up there to augment their hideous life centre ad don't want to pay for it themselves. In return he gets the bits he really wants for naff all.

An example of development for the sake of it is Leeds armouries, what that little area of town offers that nowhere else does is beyond me. But development in this country is all about creating opportunities for people To spend money they haven't got pretending to be people they aren't.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The New Grandstand   The New Grandstand - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 6:58 am

Rickler wrote:

It will be interesting to see what 'ventures' Brent keeps for himself within the Grandstand developement, and those that Argyle will collect revenue streams from?

I can think of two.

There isn't going to be a bingo hall there either.

With regard to the green spaces issue - if you travel for twenty minutes on the bus out of Plymouth you can reach Dartmoor. Get on a ferry and you can go to Mt Edgcumbe. There's Saltram, Devonport Park, Ham Woods, Coypool, Staddiscombe, Wembury, Woodland Wood, Mount Batten and the Hoe, Devils Point... compared to other cities, we have a wealth of green/open spaces.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: The New Grandstand   The New Grandstand - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 7:09 am

hairy j wrote:
Rickler wrote:

I can think of two.

Dane. wrote:
The new grandstand is to have the well publicised ice rink attached. But in addition it will be having a bingo hall and children's indoor play area similar to jump

Source : buildersconference.co.uk/

You Vs Dane then....

Who is correct?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The New Grandstand   The New Grandstand - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 7:14 am

Bollocks to the Ice Rink and Bollocks to the School or whatever it is, i can just see it in 10 years time.......3 or 4 new developments shadowing the now condemned and decrepit Grandstand, Argyle struggling to stay in the Blue Square South and Brent the vermin will be plotting to develop the last few acres of Central Park into a Cinema. If the Devil could cast his net................................
BRENT OUT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The New Grandstand   The New Grandstand - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 7:43 am

punchdrunk wrote:
Bollocks to the Ice Rink and Bollocks to the School or whatever it is, i can just see it in 10 years time.......3 or 4 new developments shadowing the now condemned and decrepit Grandstand, Argyle struggling to stay in the Blue Square South and Brent the vermin will be plotting to develop the last few acres of Central Park into a Cinema. If the Devil could cast his net................................

I am glad you substantiated your articulate argument with a salient and cogent reflection. I would imagine that people who enjoy ice-skating would welcome an ice-rink. You should welcome a school of any kind Punchy - I'd suggest you attend one at some point. They teach you stuff.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: The New Grandstand   The New Grandstand - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 8:06 am

hairy j wrote:
punchdrunk wrote:

I am glad you substantiated your articulate argument with a salient and cogent reflection. I would imagine that people who enjoy ice-skating would welcome an ice-rink. You should welcome a school of any kind Punchy - I'd suggest you attend one at some point. They teach you stuff.
lol! Wondered when that one was coming.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The New Grandstand   The New Grandstand - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 8:26 am

hairy j wrote:
Rickler wrote:

I can think of two.

With regard to the green spaces issue - if you travel for twenty minutes on the bus out of Plymouth you can reach Dartmoor. Get on a ferry and you can go to Mt Edgcumbe. There's Saltram, Devonport Park, Ham Woods, Coypool, Staddiscombe, Wembury, Woodland Wood, Mount Batten and the Hoe, Devils Point... compared to other cities, we have a wealth of green/open spaces.

Strange argument. If you get on a bus for twenty minutes you can see plenty of green?

If I get on a bus for twenty minutes I can go to Bristol zoo, doesn't make me feckin Tarzan.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: The New Grandstand   The New Grandstand - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 8:59 am

If the ice-rink at the Pavilions were booked up for weeks in advance and they were queuing round the block to use it, I could kinda understand it. But that simply ain't the case (a friend of mines mother works there).

The only logical explanation is that it is simply a pledge from Brent to replace what's being bulldozed. FFS if you're going to build summat, make it worth building. Not just another recreactional facility to replace one that barely gets used. I bet it's pig-ugly too, so as to stay in keeping with the Industrial look of the Life Centre, which has all the asthetics of a Coal-Fired Power Station!

(Just getting myself in to proper grump-mode in prep for this avo) Very Happy Mad
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: The New Grandstand   The New Grandstand - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 10:10 am

The city is lucky that it is immediately surrounded by plenty of countryside including the country's biggest National Park and 100's of miles of natural unspoiled coast line but that is no reason to give up the city's own green spaces. The more the better.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The New Grandstand   The New Grandstand - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 11:21 am

Freathy wrote:
The city is lucky that it is immediately surrounded by plenty of countryside including the country's biggest National Park and 100's of miles of natural unspoiled coast line but that is no reason to give up the city's own green spaces. The more the better.

this.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The New Grandstand   The New Grandstand - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 11:55 am

All that space on the Hoe. What a waste. A big Tesco's up there would bring people into the centre and revitalise the Barbican. Come to think of it - knock down all those old buildings down there and we could have a Pilgrim Fathers theme park. More money for Plymouth. That would bring the tourists in.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: The New Grandstand   The New Grandstand - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 12:32 pm

do not forget there are plans for redeveloping the land where the vet is.

When I was growing up the park with the boating pond and a good size play area

was well used, when I got older (that another story) cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The New Grandstand   The New Grandstand - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 12:50 pm

knecht wrote:
All that space on the Hoe. What a waste. A big Tesco's up there would bring people into the centre and revitalise the Barbican. Come to think of it - knock down all those old buildings down there and we could have a Pilgrim Fathers theme park. More money for Plymouth. That would bring the tourists in.

we need the luftwaffe to level plymouth city centre out again and just rebuild it from scratch. Concrete toilet sums it up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The New Grandstand   The New Grandstand - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 6:12 pm

Yes and i walked my dog this morning all the way through Central Park up past the ground and down through to the bottom of Barn Park road and was not "dodging dogshit" as Sensible Greeny melodramatically put it, in fact i didn't see any dog shit at all...mainly due to the bins every 2-300 meters,but the dog shit issue is for another day.
PAFC is merely just a smokescreen for James Brent and his evil empire building.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The New Grandstand   The New Grandstand - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The New Grandstand
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next