argyl3
Tringreen
Tgwu
VillageGreen
39 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage

Club starts interviews for vacant manager role - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Club starts interviews for vacant manager role   Club starts interviews for vacant manager role - Page 11 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 11:27 am

Angry wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:
Angry wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:
I would be happy with either of them.

Adams clearly has something about him as getting Ross County to the level they have is no mean feat. He must have impressed Brent and Co with his application and interview to still be in the running. He is not exactly a household name in English football so he must have done something to get this far.

I don't think any of us had heard of Jones until a few weeks ago. Again, he must have impressed with his preparation and maybe he will bring a professionalism to Argyle that we have been lacking for a long time. I think Jones will get it, and hopefully he will be our Eddie Howe.

His cv looks like mourinhos compared to the other names mentioned which just shows how far our rep has fallen under Brent in recent years that we cant attract even a decent crop of applicants these days that arent either put off by the lack of funds and ambition from Brent or the location of Plymouth and its league status.

Not really. Brian McDermott and Neil Warnock have both managed in the Premiership in the last few years. If one of our rivals was attracting names like that we would be asking questions as to why we couldn't do the same. The budget may well put them off, but they would be deluded if they thought that a 4 division team would be paying anything other then 4th division wages.

But did those two actually apply for the job? the media linked them but Warnock himself said he wasnt interested for a number of reasons and McDermott was always a pipe dream to prize him away from Arsenal to come here in our current state.

We will probably never know, but there must have been a reason why those 2 names were linked, and not the 100s of other ex-premiership managers.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Club starts interviews for vacant manager role   Club starts interviews for vacant manager role - Page 11 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 11:28 am

I think somebody said it only takes a few tweets to the bookies to link anyone!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Club starts interviews for vacant manager role   Club starts interviews for vacant manager role - Page 11 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 11:45 am

Frank Bullitt wrote:
Angry wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:
Angry wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:
I would be happy with either of them.

Adams clearly has something about him as getting Ross County to the level they have is no mean feat. He must have impressed Brent and Co with his application and interview to still be in the running. He is not exactly a household name in English football so he must have done something to get this far.

I don't think any of us had heard of Jones until a few weeks ago. Again, he must have impressed with his preparation and maybe he will bring a professionalism to Argyle that we have been lacking for a long time. I think Jones will get it, and hopefully he will be our Eddie Howe.

His cv looks like mourinhos compared to the other names mentioned which just shows how far our rep has fallen under Brent in recent years that we cant attract even a decent crop of applicants these days that arent either put off by the lack of funds and ambition from Brent or the location of Plymouth and its league status.

Not really. Brian McDermott and Neil Warnock have both managed in the Premiership in the last few years. If one of our rivals was attracting names like that we would be asking questions as to why we couldn't do the same. The budget may well put them off, but they would be deluded if they thought that a 4 division team would be paying anything other then 4th division wages.

But did those two actually apply for the job? the media linked them but Warnock himself said he wasnt interested for a number of reasons and McDermott was always a pipe dream to prize him away from Arsenal to come here in our current state.

We will probably never know, but there must have been a reason why those 2 names were linked, and not the 100s of other ex-premiership managers.

Warnock gets linked everytime because of 1996 and will get linked again and again till he truly retires.  mcdermott i imagine was media speculation that caught on as he woud have been the ideal candidate for the job if he was in the running for real.

and yes seadog thats pretty much how it works someone yesterday even got guy branston in the running on 25/1 all from a tweet. ill try and find it and post a link to it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] might have to click on the tweets to get the full convos
Back to top Go down
X Isle

X Isle

PostSubject: Re: Club starts interviews for vacant manager role   Club starts interviews for vacant manager role - Page 11 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 12:38 pm

ejh wrote:
sufferedsince 68 wrote:
The sussex Wise man definetly does not want Dezza Adams,but loves up and coming Jesus Jones ? erm ..... GO DEZZA!!!!

X Isle changes his mind daily. Apparently we should have got it over and done with a week ago and just hired Cocko who was clearly the man for the job. Then he read a bit about McDermott and decided he was probably better. Now he's decided Jones is the man because England U21s let him put the cones out.

The fact is, if you want a proven winner who is most likely to get Argyle promoted next season - I can't see much past Derek Adams as having the best CV for the job. Norwich hired a candidate with similar experience (Hamilton Academicals instead of Ross County) and they have not so far regretted it one bit.

This is day 12 of a constantly evolving process, but hey, when did the truth get in the way of a good myth lol!

You're right on the three names I've fancied only for Jones read Jones or Cocko, there's a Rizla paper between them as the same thing that appeals for one appeals for the other, a new approach with fresh ideas, a fresh man's enthusiasm and no 'baggage'. The pair both have additional pluses, Cocko 'getting' Argyle and Jones the broader spread of environments he's worked in. McDermott only came in when his name was linked and went as soon as it was removed, and why wouldn't it, he was the stand out candidate, his CV is excellent.

What's so wrong with keeping an open mind during an evolving process anyway?

Through that evolving process we're allegedly down to two, Jones and Adams, and I've stated my preference.

As Angry has outlined the case for Adams is weakened by exactly where all this 'vast and glorious' experience has been gained. Worse for me are the 'noises off stage' about his methods and man management. We already struggle to attract players down to Plymouth but just try attracting new players if you add in his dubious reputation with players.

That's why I'm now in the Jones(/Cocko) camp, and I don't see that journey as being unreasonable.

And as for SS68's post, it just evidences the stereotypical narrow ATD 'contrary Mary' syndrome...X Throbber/PASOTI/Newell/Brent would prefer 'A' so i'll go with 'B'. It does seem that's the thought process for reaching conclusions at the more rabid end of ATD sometimes, that's just a bit sad really. Being your own man and forming opinions based on your own thoughts is more worthy of respect.
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: Club starts interviews for vacant manager role   Club starts interviews for vacant manager role - Page 11 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 1:11 pm

So do we think we will know who got the gig today or more waiting ?
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Club starts interviews for vacant manager role   Club starts interviews for vacant manager role - Page 11 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 1:24 pm

Former Argyle 'star' Keith Lasley backs Derek Adams -

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: Club starts interviews for vacant manager role   Club starts interviews for vacant manager role - Page 11 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 1:29 pm

Keith who ???
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Club starts interviews for vacant manager role   Club starts interviews for vacant manager role - Page 11 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 1:35 pm

Jethro wrote:
Keith who ???

Lasley....as in Keith Lasley....ex-Argyle player.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Club starts interviews for vacant manager role   Club starts interviews for vacant manager role - Page 11 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 1:36 pm

zyph wrote:
Jethro wrote:
Keith who ???

Played about 6 times if i remember
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: Club starts interviews for vacant manager role   Club starts interviews for vacant manager role - Page 11 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 1:55 pm

Angry wrote:
zyph wrote:
Jethro wrote:
Keith who ???

Played about 6 times if i remember

Explains why I don't remember him,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Club starts interviews for vacant manager role   Club starts interviews for vacant manager role - Page 11 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 2:10 pm

X Isle wrote:
ejh wrote:
sufferedsince 68 wrote:
The sussex Wise man definetly does not want Dezza Adams,but loves up and coming Jesus Jones ? erm ..... GO DEZZA!!!!

X Isle changes his mind daily. Apparently we should have got it over and done with a week ago and just hired Cocko who was clearly the man for the job. Then he read a bit about McDermott and decided he was probably better. Now he's decided Jones is the man because England U21s let him put the cones out.

The fact is, if you want a proven winner who is most likely to get Argyle promoted next season - I can't see much past Derek Adams as having the best CV for the job. Norwich hired a candidate with similar experience (Hamilton Academicals instead of Ross County) and they have not so far regretted it one bit.

This is day 12 of a constantly evolving process, but hey, when did the truth get in the way of a good myth lol!

You're right on the three names I've fancied only for Jones read Jones or Cocko, there's a Rizla paper between them as the same thing that appeals for one appeals for the other, a new approach with fresh ideas, a fresh man's enthusiasm and no 'baggage'. The pair both have additional pluses, Cocko 'getting' Argyle and Jones the broader spread of environments he's worked in. McDermott only came in when his name was linked and went as soon as it was removed, and why wouldn't it, he was the stand out candidate, his CV is excellent.

What's so wrong with keeping an open mind during an evolving process anyway?

Through that evolving process we're allegedly down to two, Jones and Adams, and I've stated my preference.

As Angry has outlined the case for Adams is weakened by exactly where all this 'vast and glorious' experience has been gained. Worse for me are the 'noises off stage' about his methods and man management. We already struggle to attract players down to Plymouth but just try attracting new players if you add in his dubious reputation with players.

That's why I'm now in the Jones(/Cocko) camp, and I don't see that journey as being unreasonable.

And as for SS68's post, it just evidences the stereotypical narrow ATD 'contrary Mary' syndrome...X Throbber/PASOTI/Newell/Brent would prefer 'A' so i'll go with 'B'. It does seem that's the thought process for reaching conclusions at the more rabid end of ATD sometimes, that's just a bit sad really. Being your own man and forming opinions based on your own thoughts is more worthy of respect.

You're entitled to your views, my point is though you have passionately campaigned for three different potential managers in about 7 days. And not just to say you like the cut of their jib, but passionately explain how and why that manager is absolutely perfect for Argyle. So you have a fickle record and get seduced by your imagination a bit too easily, if you don't mind me saying so - and how you imagine a manager will be isn't always how it pans out (what board ever intentionally appoints a 'bad' candidate?).

With regards to Jones, I will get fully behind the bloke if it is him, but it is getting tiresome hearing how he is a top prospect, destined for a decorated career in management, and we need to get him in NOW. How can you or anyone else really forecast that? The only thing you can judge a manager's potential for success is their history, the results they achieved at certain clubs under certain circumstances. Jones has nothing to judge him on - and a young Eddie Howe image is not really enough to be given one of the top jobs in League Two, if not League One. That's just my opinion.

To be convinced Jones will take us up, you either have to use a massive leap of faith, or be totally convinced by his brilliant interview, of which none of us are a party to. So I don't understand how so many fans can really be so convinced Jones is our man when there is so little to judge him on.
Back to top Go down
X Isle

X Isle

PostSubject: Re: Club starts interviews for vacant manager role   Club starts interviews for vacant manager role - Page 11 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 2:44 pm

And likewise, you are entitled to yours EJH.

Everything is a gamble ultimately and no-one would ever get a chance if 'lack of experience as a #1' is a disqualification.

Re: Jones specifically, to qualify "nothing to judge him on" I maybe have a geographical advantage that others don't. Not a criticism, just an observation. I live a stone's throw from BHA's training set-up in Shoreham and my daughters boyfriend did his degree placements there and at St. Mary's. OK so I haven't seen it first hand (although I saw him many times jogging locally with hyypia after training) but I trust what I'm told about his coaching, his drive, his man management and his methods from someone who has. That's backed up with what my Albion friends at work tell me and what I've read over the years when I periodically visit 'North Stand Chat'.

None of that makes me a world leading authority on the guy, no-one is for any of the candidates, but it has provided an insight that others don't benefit from. Why didn't I advocate him 'from the off'? easy. Why the hell would such a prospect drop two leagues to leave a state of the art set up for Argyle? Only when eventually confirmed as being involved did my belief that this bloke will one day amount to something as a manager became relevant to the process.

As for the passion of my 'campaigning', your word not mine, that's just my way. No-one's opinion carries any weight on t'internet messageboards, it's all huff, puff & guff.
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: Club starts interviews for vacant manager role   Club starts interviews for vacant manager role - Page 11 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 3:49 pm

17.00 Nathan Jones
Back to top Go down
X Isle

X Isle

PostSubject: Re: Club starts interviews for vacant manager role   Club starts interviews for vacant manager role - Page 11 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 3:54 pm

harvetheslayer wrote:
17.00 Nathan Jones

Based on?

Not questioning it, just fleshing it out.

Skynet, great track record, just posted a subtle hint that the decision is made and it's the announcement we're now waiting for....

skynet wrote:
I wonder what the delay is in announcing the new manager.

Last edited by X Isle on Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Club starts interviews for vacant manager role   Club starts interviews for vacant manager role - Page 11 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 4:02 pm

I wonder what the delay is in the all knowing Skynet announcing who the new manager is?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Club starts interviews for vacant manager role   Club starts interviews for vacant manager role - Page 11 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 4:04 pm

Rickler wrote:
I wonder what the delay is in the all knowing Skynet announcing who the new manager is?

A disagreement between the Nooligans as to who will run the parody Twitter account.
Back to top Go down
X Isle

X Isle

PostSubject: Re: Club starts interviews for vacant manager role   Club starts interviews for vacant manager role - Page 11 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 4:12 pm

'Nooligans', love it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: Club starts interviews for vacant manager role   Club starts interviews for vacant manager role - Page 11 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 4:19 pm

X Isle wrote:
harvetheslayer wrote:
17.00 Nathan Jones

Based on?

Skynet, great track record, just posted a subtle hint that the decision is made and it's the announcement we're now waiting for....

skynet wrote:

No need to flesh it out. One Manager One Name
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Club starts interviews for vacant manager role   Club starts interviews for vacant manager role - Page 11 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 4:20 pm

harvetheslayer wrote:
17.00 Nathan Jones

then at 1701 in honour of jesus jones the new forza nerde song to replace bob marley if it comes about

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Club starts interviews for vacant manager role   Club starts interviews for vacant manager role - Page 11 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 4:21 pm

harvetheslayer wrote:
X Isle wrote:
harvetheslayer wrote:
17.00 Nathan Jones

Based on?

skynet wrote:

No need to flesh it out. One Manager One Name

one life you got to do what you should
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Club starts interviews for vacant manager role   Club starts interviews for vacant manager role - Page 11 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 4:26 pm

Brighton website

Xlsle  

Reliable intelligence that the manager decision has been made but nothing on who just yet.

Also low grade intelligence that it's Jones with an announcement at 1700.

Any whispers your end? (save for the Hinshelwood 2+2 thing, we got that)
Back to top Go down
X Isle

X Isle

PostSubject: Re: Club starts interviews for vacant manager role   Club starts interviews for vacant manager role - Page 11 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 4:35 pm

Worth a try, nest pas? fishing

Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Club starts interviews for vacant manager role   Club starts interviews for vacant manager role - Page 11 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 4:38 pm

Really enjoying the suspense tbh can't they hold off a few more hours
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Club starts interviews for vacant manager role   Club starts interviews for vacant manager role - Page 11 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 4:44 pm

Brighton & Hove Albion no.2 Nathan Jones is being backed to become Gillingham's new manager as Paul Scally's search goes on

Brighton & Hove Albion assistant manager Nathan Jones is the new bookies favourite to take over at Gillingham.

The 41-year-old coach has worked his way up from managing the ladies at Yeovil to being no.2 at the Championship club.

Jones was briefly in charge of Brighton, on a caretaker basis following Sami Hyypia’s departure, leading the club to a win and a draw during his brief tenure.

Gills chairman Paul Scally has described his next managerial appointment as “crucial” and the new man will have the task of saving the Gills from relegation to League 2.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Club starts interviews for vacant manager role   Club starts interviews for vacant manager role - Page 11 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 4:46 pm

It seems like I'm the only one struggling to get excited, not even a semi jocolor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Club starts interviews for vacant manager role   Club starts interviews for vacant manager role - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

Club starts interviews for vacant manager role
Page 11 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next