SwimWithTheTide
Chemical Ali
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Sparkk

Sparkk

The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread   The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 7:24 am

There's no way Bezzie was worse than Reckord (and probably others). For his faults, at least he would try to get forward and he had a decent left foot and could put in a cross. As someone else mentioned, he couldn't have been that bad to be part of such a dominant team.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread   The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 7:27 am

Sparkk wrote:
There's no way Bezzie was worse than Reckord (and probably others). For his faults, at least he would try to get forward and he had a decent left foot and could put in a cross. As someone else mentioned, he couldn't have been that bad to be part of such a dominant team.

It is just going back to my original point that I made in as much as the side under Hodges which stagnated in this division for seasons was probably a stronger squad then our current one.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread   The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 7:47 am

Bessie was a good attacking full back (who obviously benefitted playing under sturrock playing attacking overlapping full back football) but defensively wasn't the best. He was a year below me at school and I always thought he was a decent bloke. His Dad also taught me Latin too (perhaps that should be in mundane).

As mentioned above Sheffield Wednesday was too big a move for him, but he would have been on a far better wage and think he had a three year contract and signed for them on a Bosman so would have had a decent signing on fee.

I don't think he's our worst ever LB- Blackman, Reckord, Jim Beglin and there's probably others, were far worse.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread   The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 8:00 am

Rufus Brevett
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread   The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 8:50 am

Punchdrunk wrote:
Rufus Brevett

to be fair to him he came to be a backup to the young Gilbert mainly. It wasnt planned that the young fool would swan off elsewhere so afterwards.

I still say Beswetherwick was the worse left back
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread   The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 9:16 am

Chris Webb: comeon argoyle fansth give et everyfing, innum

Hasn't Pursey given the scrawny freak a slap yet
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread   The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 9:25 am

Pafcintheplace wrote:
Chris Webb: comeon argoyle fansth give et everyfing, innum

Hasn't Pursey given the scrawny freak a slap yet

THE chris webb reminds of a z list celeb trying anything to stay relevant.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread   The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 9:35 am

Chemical Ali wrote:
Bessie was a good attacking full back (who obviously benefitted playing under sturrock playing attacking overlapping full back football) but defensively wasn't the best. He was a year below me at school and I always thought he was a decent bloke. His Dad also taught me Latin too (perhaps that should be in mundane).

As mentioned above Sheffield Wednesday was too big a move for him, but he would have been on a far better wage and think he had a three year contract and signed for them on a Bosman so would have had a decent signing on fee.

I don't think he's our worst ever LB- Blackman, Reckord, Jim Beglin and there's probably others, were far worse.

By the time Beglin came to us he was the worst professional footballer I have ever seen set foot on a pitch. He couldn't do a damned thing. Nothing at all. At least Bessie could, and did, run up and down a bit. That makes him 20x the player Beglin was.

Bessie was also a far better player than Padi Wilson.

Bessie's probably not even in our Top 100 Most Crap Ever Player list.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread   The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 9:35 am

He reminds me of a scrawny toothy grinned yokel  lol! 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread   The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 9:50 am

Hard to beat Blackman at being shite at LB. Even when he played LB, he played anywhere BUT LB - up the pitch, overlapping at crazy times, in centre midfield way out of position. Blackman's only skill seemed to be in dribbling and holding on to the ball for ridiculously long amounts of time, with end product a distant ambition.

Therefore my memories of Blackman are of a hopelessly out of position winger, who dribbled further and further away from his position without every really delivering anything. A huge walking risk, who could barely defend even if he was there. I think he spent about 3 games at LB, 2 more at LM, and that was enough for Shez. Not an awful footballer, but not a LB - just a left footed player who couldn't get into a team anywhere else.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread   The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 10:20 am

The bar opened at 10am at Asti manor and the first of many has already been sunk drunken  have a good one lads and lasses going to the game cheers 

'ere we go 'ere we go 'ere we go  jocolor 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread   The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 10:40 am

holding a derby game at 1500 is a risky risk considering the number of idiots who will be drunk and want to start trouble by then
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread   The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 10:44 am

Was that a dig at me Angry ? Care to step outside for a damn good thrashing  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread   The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 11:01 am

AstiSpumante wrote:
Was that a dig at me Angry ? Care to step outside for a damn good thrashing  Very Happy 

in a minute lol

no it wasnt a dig at you, usually these sorts of games are held earlier to avoid groups drinking and causing probs. Not fans like yourself more the football factory wannabes.
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread   The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 11:06 am

does anyone have a link to either tv coverage of the game or a radio devon link to use please ta in advance
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread   The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 11:12 am

Angry wrote:
AstiSpumante wrote:

in a minute lol

no it wasnt a dig at you, usually these sorts of games are held earlier to avoid groups drinking and causing probs. Not fans like yourself more the football factory wannabes.

Yeah I know what you mean Angry.................Plaaaaaaaaaastic hardmen !!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread   The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 11:55 am

Jethro wrote:
does anyone have a link to either tv coverage of the game or a radio devon link to use please ta in advance

Don't think you'll find it on TV anywhere and I believe radio Devon can only be heard locally unless you can pick it up on the net somehow so it all depends where you are Jeff.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread   The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 12:21 pm

Punchdrunk wrote:
I can remember the 'turnaround' protest at Mansfield against Mad Dan.

I would have Dan back in a flash over the Tapeworm.

Dan the Man had his flaws, but if he could get involved again, then things would happen..
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread   The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 12:24 pm

Angry wrote:
holding a derby game at 1500 is a risky risk considering the number of idiots who will be drunk and want to start trouble by then

Don't think the KO time makes any difference, as those that seek trouble and confrontation will find it whatever the day and time..
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread   The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 12:28 pm

Gutted that i can't make the game, as bloody skint [friends offered to loan me monies to go, but i turned them down].

So it is one or two horror dvds and Sparksy on the radio today for me then 0:(..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread   The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 12:29 pm

VillageGreen wrote:
Angry wrote:

Don't think the KO time makes any difference, as those that seek trouble and confrontation will find it whatever the day and time..

It does when these sort of games are held at 1245 as yobs dont have time to get drunk and the troubles casued are usually controlled compared to a 1500.

3 riot vans i've seen rushing past me today already.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread   The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 12:37 pm

Angry wrote:
VillageGreen wrote:
Angry wrote:

It does when these sort of games are held at 1245 as yobs dont have time to get drunk and the troubles casued are usually controlled compared to a 1500.

I know on games like today [and other high ranking fixtures] that they patrol the City Centre and Mutley, often going in to the main pubs there.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread   The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 12:42 pm

VillageGreen wrote:
Angry wrote:
VillageGreen wrote:
Angry wrote:

I know on games like today [and other high ranking fixtures] that they patrol the City Centre and Mutley, often going in to the main pubs there.

they still patrol yes thats a given but there job is far easier to keep on top of it with an earlier kickoff than allowing yobs to drink from dawn till kickoff and patrol then.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread   The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 12:47 pm

Riot vans in a hurry as the tea has been made.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread   The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 1:12 pm

who is going to use the seldom used chat room for today's game?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread   The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The A38 Dual Carriageway Derby Match Thread
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next