Chemical Ali
Mock Cuncher
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

RIP THAI GREEN Empty
PostSubject: RIP THAI GREEN   RIP THAI GREEN EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 12:42 pm

Very sad news

"Phil Coleman (aka Thai Green) died in Derriford Hospital on 19 April. He was 61.

Phil was a life-long Argyle supporter whose visits to Home Park began in the early 1960s and continued on and off until his final attendance against Cheltenham two weeks before his death. Throughout his life, wherever he lived, he avidly followed the fortunes of Argyle, suffering as all true supporters do the rollercoaster of emotions generated by the highs and lows of the team's league position and results. In recent times, he was a subscriber to 'Argyle Player' and was resolutely undisturbable during the match commentaries that enabled him to participate at one remove in the agony and ecstasy of each game that he could not attend personally. Several years ago, he began teaching English in Thailand, hence the soubriquet which he used to engage in debate and comment on Pasoti. Like many other supporters, his views were often contentious, subjective, flawed, inconsistent and combative, but, also like the others, he enjoyed the cut and thrust of debate and bore goodwill to most, if not all, his interlocutors. In so engaging, he enjoyed the shared passion which lies at the heart of being a true supporter. Like so many others, he agonised in recent times over the consequences of the abysmal mismanagement of the previous regime that saw Argyle reduced to its current historically low position. Again, like many others, he contributed as he could to try to help alleviate the financial burden of the innocent staff victims of Argyle's financial disintegration. He welcomed the rescue by James Brent and was optimistic about what lay ahead.

Unfortunately, in 2010 he was diagnosed with Mesothelioma, a form of lung cancer resulting from exposure to asbestos, typically 30-40 years previously. Sadly, as many Pasoti members will be aware, although comparatively rare on a national scale, there is a Mesothelioma 'hotspot' around Plymouth as asbestos was widely prevalent in Devonport Dockyard and on the ships of the Royal Navy. Ironically, in Phil's case, it was impossible to determine how he had been contaminated as he had never knowingly lived or worked in an asbestos environment.

Throughout his final illness, he enjoyed exemplary support and care from medical professionals, especially at the medical practice in Wadebridge where he lived, from Macmillan nurses whose outstanding support and skills are justifiably legendary, from the Oncology team at Derriford and, in his final few days, from the entire team at Brent Ward. Phil benefited to the very end from that highest quality of care for which, at its best, the NHS is the envy of the world.

He is survived by his wife Marilyn, his life partner of 40 years, whose support and efforts enabled him to enjoy the varied and often complicated life that he did. Although not a football supporter herself, she accompanied Phil to the last couple of matches at Home Park as he was by then too weak to attend on his own. Phil was pleased that she claimed that she had actually enjoyed the experience of being part of the 'Green Army'!" - Mike Coleman
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

RIP THAI GREEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP THAI GREEN   RIP THAI GREEN EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 12:45 pm

Sad

RIP.

Perspective, etc.

Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

RIP THAI GREEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP THAI GREEN   RIP THAI GREEN EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 12:47 pm

Terribly sad news. Sad

Sleep well and god bless. RIP fellow pilgrim.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

RIP THAI GREEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP THAI GREEN   RIP THAI GREEN EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 12:48 pm

RIP Thai Green/ Phil

Never met him but he seemed a thoroughly nice guy. A sad loss for the Green Army.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

RIP THAI GREEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP THAI GREEN   RIP THAI GREEN EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 12:48 pm

Sad news. Shared a few PMs with him. Liked the cut of his gib. Thoughts go out to his family.
Back to top Go down

RIP THAI GREEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP THAI GREEN   RIP THAI GREEN EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 12:49 pm

RIP Thai.

A brave man.
Back to top Go down

RIP THAI GREEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP THAI GREEN   RIP THAI GREEN EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 12:50 pm

Never met him but came across a gentle and thoughtful individual. Very sad news.

Rip Phil.
Back to top Go down

RIP THAI GREEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP THAI GREEN   RIP THAI GREEN EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 12:50 pm

Very sad news. RIP Phil.
Back to top Go down

RIP THAI GREEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP THAI GREEN   RIP THAI GREEN EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 12:52 pm

I have three friends with cancer at the moment - one of whom has Mesothelioma. He has already lost one of his lungs.

I had hoped Thai Green's story would turn out better.

Sad news.
Back to top Go down
Damon.Lenszner

Damon.Lenszner

RIP THAI GREEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP THAI GREEN   RIP THAI GREEN EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 12:53 pm

I only knew Thai Green from his postings which were passionate and heartfelt. He held his head high and always posted with dignity and sincerity, even in the face of the vitriolic abuse that came his way. RIP Pilgrim.
Back to top Go down

RIP THAI GREEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP THAI GREEN   RIP THAI GREEN EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 12:54 pm

Dreadful news.

Rest in peace, Phil.
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

RIP THAI GREEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP THAI GREEN   RIP THAI GREEN EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 12:59 pm

Damon.Lenszner wrote:
I only knew Thai Green from his postings which were passionate and heartfelt. He held his head high and always posted with dignity and sincerity, even in the face of the vitriolic abuse that came his way. RIP Pilgrim.

My thoughts entirely. Rest in peace, Phil.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

RIP THAI GREEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP THAI GREEN   RIP THAI GREEN EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 1:00 pm

A man who clearly said what he meant and meant what he said. I really warmed to him in the short time he has been in contact with us on ATD.

One of his last postings on ATD , a month ago.

Thai green

Replies: 328
Views: 10001
Search in: The Mayflower Subject: Anyone else had a letter from Philip Ross Solicitors ?. Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:36 pm
Greenjock wrote:
A cnut isn't offensive, it's not even a word ffs!

Hello Jock ( Pete ),

I lived on a small island in Orkney for many years, so Old Norse was all around me then, Cnut was famous as a King, of Denmark, England and Norway, hence the Old Norse connection. He died in 1035, I believe his bones are in Winchester. We ( as a Nation ) knew him as Canute, King Canute. But he was a Cnut in Norway and Denmark.

So when I see Cnut I am reminded of this amazing King, I am happy to use this name.

RIP Pilgrim.

Back to top Go down

RIP THAI GREEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP THAI GREEN   RIP THAI GREEN EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 1:02 pm

RIP. A very dignified and thought provoking poster. A man I wish I'd met.
Back to top Go down
shonbo

shonbo

RIP THAI GREEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP THAI GREEN   RIP THAI GREEN EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 1:12 pm

Indeed I echo the sentiments expressed above.
RIP TG
Back to top Go down

RIP THAI GREEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP THAI GREEN   RIP THAI GREEN EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 1:21 pm

very sad to hear of phil's/thai green's passing he was a great poster on here and will be missed.

Im sure he will join the great terrace in the sky of Argyle fans singing for the greens.

cancer is evil

Back to top Go down

RIP THAI GREEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP THAI GREEN   RIP THAI GREEN EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 1:23 pm

Totally numb at this news. I spoke fairly regularly with Phil by PM and he was just the most optimistic and caring person to speak to.

He would deflect all talk of his illness and ask about mine instead.

He also saw past my ranting sweary stuff and knew I wasn't just a troublemaker. We spoke about allsorts and he was a knowledgable and interesting man to chat with.

RIP Phil I really hope that you are now pain free and with friends and family. I'm proud to have known and spoken to you even if it wasn't in the REAL world.

My thoughts are with your family.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

RIP THAI GREEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP THAI GREEN   RIP THAI GREEN EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 1:33 pm

Oh dear- very sad news. A guy I'd had a few exchanges with on here and came across as a lovely guy. RIP Phil.
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

RIP THAI GREEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP THAI GREEN   RIP THAI GREEN EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 1:39 pm

Very sad news. A man who cared passionately about his football team despite his illness and wasn't afraid to say what he thought.

RIP Phil
Back to top Go down

RIP THAI GREEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP THAI GREEN   RIP THAI GREEN EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 2:03 pm

RIP to a passionate Argyle fan.

Respect
Back to top Go down

RIP THAI GREEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP THAI GREEN   RIP THAI GREEN EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 2:05 pm

Sad news indeed, shame you had to pass whilst the club is in upheaval, but rest assured there are enough of us that felt like you did and we will carry on the fight and make Argyle great again, I hope you are able to see that from where you are, my thoughts are with your family, All hail king Cnut, I will always think of you when I see his name.
Back to top Go down

RIP THAI GREEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP THAI GREEN   RIP THAI GREEN EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 3:00 pm

Bollocks, what desperately sad news. RIP fella. Always seemed like one of the good guys.
Back to top Go down

RIP THAI GREEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP THAI GREEN   RIP THAI GREEN EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 3:02 pm

Reading this makes me gutted and even though we all knew what was coming it's still a shock.

RIP mate, we've lost one of the good guys but we'll be more determined to fight for what's right for PAFC.

Best wishes to his family, they should know that Thai was well thought of.
Back to top Go down

RIP THAI GREEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP THAI GREEN   RIP THAI GREEN EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 3:04 pm

Perhaps in memory of Thai Green (excluding argyle winning on Saturday) we could donate a few quid to a charity of the families choosing when its known or if not to cancer research UK?

Also, Thai was a strong supporter of the trust so i hope a few of you who haven't done so do sign up for the trust more so now than ever.

Last edited by Angry of Mayfair on Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

RIP THAI GREEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP THAI GREEN   RIP THAI GREEN EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 3:07 pm

Angry of Mayfair wrote:
Perhaps to honor thai green (excluding argyle winning on saturday) is that we could donate a few quid to a charity of the families choosing when its known or if not to cancer research uk?

Good idea and maybe a change of "Thought for the Day" because I am sure that Thai is in all of our thoughts today.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

RIP THAI GREEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP THAI GREEN   RIP THAI GREEN Empty

Back to top Go down

RIP THAI GREEN
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next