Peggy
Greenskin
Chemical Ali
Czarcasm
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage

Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies   Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 9:43 pm

Thatcher did not withdraw all British presence from the Falklands. I worked at the NATO place in Northwood on the Commander-in-Chief's staff and I absolutely know there was an RM contingent there before the invasion by Argentina. The "Warship" was an unarmed ship and never a ship of war even though it had the letters HMS before it's name. There was never a warship based there with the exception being an occasional visit by one every so often. This was the case under the Labour party previously in power also. Some people beed to get a few facts right if they are going to quote them.

Thatcher was a marmite character to some degree. Somehow though she was never quite hated for all of the things she did as much as was not liked for all of them either. The Tory party, as with the current one, got voted in after the Labour party destroyed the British economy once again. To get out of the shit you have to make difficult decisions and people will get hurt in the process. I didn't agree with all that her Government did but I didn't disagree with it all either. When she came in the interest rate on a mortgage was 15% caused exclusively by the previous lot. Inflation was going through the roof. When she went out I had managed to pay off my mortgage and any savings I had grew rather than disappeared. The strikes over nothing had stopped even if things had gone a bit far the other way. In a nutshell, like it or not I was better off and even felt better off. The sale of the nationalised industries, or at least most of them was a mistake but they were so inefficient and badly run it wasn't much of a surprise they were got rid of.

I'm actually not surprised at some of the posts on here given the normal outbursts but whilst I can understand she was not the bees knees for some people I would say she was by no means the worst PM this Country has ever had. Most people think Churchill was one of the greatest but if they looked at his overall record and not just the wartime bit they might change their mind. Blair was a self publicising tw@t in comparison. He helped start a war and lied and lied to the Country. Where is he now? Taking a fecking huge pay cheque for being an ambassador in the region he helped to half destroy. I have never been a follower of one political party but in this case I speak as I find. She wasn't my mother or Mrs so in real terms it means little to me but she was somebodies and a bit of respect and unblinkered comment might not go amiss.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies   Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 9:45 pm

punchdrunk wrote:
i have never firmly been a supporter of Maggie nor an ardent Tory she lowered top rates of income tax from 95 per cent to less than 50 per cent. She denationalized the heartland of the British economy. She sold off council houses as a means of establishing a secure foundation for property-owners. The Falklands war was a close run thing given, i think a lot of people dont really know just how close to defeat we were at one point.
Margaret Thatcher was so much despised by many Britons, that much is true, credit where credit is due... she created an environment where one succeeds or fails on the basis of hard-work and ability, not on inheritance, patronage, or a social security blanket from the cradle to the grave.

Rip Maggie

Unless you were a miner! In which case she destroyed you, destroyed your spirit and community, and the North still hasn't recovered, nor parts of Wales.

I have a grudging respect for her balls as Czarcasm says, addressing the nation just after the Grand Hotel bombing to show the IRA she wasn't bothered by them took amazing courage, but she affected my family in a big big way. No help whatsoever for our family with a disabled child I can tell you.

Much like the bastards now, not everyone on benefits wants to be there and some deserve much more than they are going to get now.

She ensured a whole generation of rich people continued to get an awful lot richer. Anyone who could afford shares back then were given a licence to print money with the things she privatised, and she was responsible for utter cnuts like Geoffrey Archer making millions for nothing.

Cerbera's a huge fan of hers. Nuff said really.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies   Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 9:46 pm

Peggy * wrote:
Never started a war? Have you not heard of the Falklands?

I think you'll find it was a "conflict" & was it was started by General Galtieri, not Thatcher who only did what was right in defending UK sovereign territory.

I hate to think what would happen if the same thing happened today with all the lily livered metropolitan liberal politicians of all persuasions that falsely claim to represent the UK's best interests.

Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies   Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 9:48 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
It's common knowledge she was advised in some quarters against sending the task force. There were bound to be differing takes on the situation when it was as serious as it was. But she wasn't acting unilaterally.

The public gave their view on it at the next General Election, which she won in a landslide.

The alternative was poor old Michael Foot's Labour. Her not winning the 1983 election was never in reality going to happen but the Falklands made it a landslide.

I had no time for Thatcher at all but I have to admire her utter determination to unwaveringly follow her beliefs to change the country beyond all recognition. Unlike those slimey, repulsive creatures bl**r, c*meron and cl*gg who believe in nothing apart from engaging in murderous wars that are nothing to do with us to feed their own vanity and enslaving the country to the EU and international banking. Now they ARE scum.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies   Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 10:03 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
Thatcher did not withdraw all British presence from the Falklands. I worked at the NATO place in Northwood on the Commander-in-Chief's staff and I absolutely know there was an RM contingent there before the invasion by Argentina. The "Warship" was an unarmed ship and never a ship of war even though it had the letters HMS before it's name. There was never a warship based there with the exception being an occasional visit by one every so often. This was the case under the Labour party previously in power also. Some people beed to get a few facts right if they are going to quote them.

Thatcher was a marmite character to some degree. Somehow though she was never quite hated for all of the things she did as much as was not liked for all of them either. The Tory party, as with the current one, got voted in after the Labour party destroyed the British economy once again. To get out of the shit you have to make difficult decisions and people will get hurt in the process. I didn't agree with all that her Government did but I didn't disagree with it all either. When she came in the interest rate on a mortgage was 15% caused exclusively by the previous lot. Inflation was going through the roof. When she went out I had managed to pay off my mortgage and any savings I had grew rather than disappeared. The strikes over nothing had stopped even if things had gone a bit far the other way. In a nutshell, like it or not I was better off and even felt better off. The sale of the nationalised industries, or at least most of them was a mistake but they were so inefficient and badly run it wasn't much of a surprise they were got rid of.

I'm actually not surprised at some of the posts on here given the normal outbursts but whilst I can understand she was not the bees knees for some people I would say she was by no means the worst PM this Country has ever had. Most people think Churchill was one of the greatest but if they looked at his overall record and not just the wartime bit they might change their mind. Blair was a self publicising tw@t in comparison. He helped start a war and lied and lied to the Country. Where is he now? Taking a fecking huge pay cheque for being an ambassador in the region he helped to half destroy. I have never been a follower of one political party but in this case I speak as I find. She wasn't my mother or Mrs so in real terms it means little to me but she was somebodies and a bit of respect and unblinkered comment might not go amiss.

Probably the most sensible post of the day on the subject
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies   Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 10:04 pm

Gert Loinz wrote:
Sensiblegreeny wrote:

Probably the most sensible post of the day on the subject

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies   Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 10:16 pm

Greenjock wrote:
punchdrunk wrote:
i have never firmly been a supporter of Maggie nor an ardent Tory she lowered top rates of income tax from 95 per cent to less than 50 per cent. She denationalized the heartland of the British economy. She sold off council houses as a means of establishing a secure foundation for property-owners. The Falklands war was a close run thing given, i think a lot of people dont really know just how close to defeat we were at one point.
Margaret Thatcher was so much despised by many Britons, that much is true, credit where credit is due... she created an environment where one succeeds or fails on the basis of hard-work and ability, not on inheritance, patronage, or a social security blanket from the cradle to the grave.

Rip Maggie

Unless you were a miner! In which case she destroyed you, destroyed your spirit and community, and the North still hasn't recovered, nor parts of Wales.I have a grudging respect for her balls as Czarcasm says, addressing the nation just after the Grand Hotel bombing to show the IRA she wasn't bothered by them took amazing courage, but she affected my family in a big big way. No help whatsoever for our family with a disabled child I can tell you.

Much like the bastards now, not everyone on benefits wants to be there and some deserve much more than they are going to get now.

She ensured a whole generation of rich people continued to get an awful lot richer. Anyone who could afford shares back then were given a licence to print money with the things she privatised, and she was responsible for utter cnuts like Geoffrey Archer making millions for nothing.

But then Jock,the Thatcher era certainly wasn't the only one in which decisions were made which caused upheaval and distress.I come from a [Labour voting] family which has strong historical roots in working on the railways.The Beeching report caused many of them to take early retirement,make unwanted moves to other industries in faraway places or simply get made redundant.All around the country,communities which which were based on the presence of a railway [Halwill Junction,Woodford Halse,Melton Constable] were destroyed and have never recovered in some cases. Although initiated by a Tory government,most of the cuts made were actually made under Labour,who did stuff all to reverse the process in spite of promises made in the 1964 election.No doubt you could go through all of the various era's in which Labour was in power and find similar examples in different industries,Thatcher sure wasn't the first politician and won't be the last to make such far reaching and devastating decisions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies   Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 10:17 pm

Greenjock wrote:
punchdrunk wrote:

Rip Maggie

Unless you were a miner! In which case she destroyed you, destroyed your spirit and community, and the North still hasn't recovered, nor parts of Wales.

I have a grudging respect for her balls as Czarcasm says, addressing the nation just after the Grand Hotel bombing to show the IRA she wasn't bothered by them took amazing courage, but she affected my family in a big big way. No help whatsoever for our family with a disabled child I can tell you.

feck me Jock, she didn't write all his books aswell did she?
Back to top Go down
Flat_Track_Bully

Flat_Track_Bully

PostSubject: Re: Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies   Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 10:22 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

"There is absolutely nothing wrong with loathing Margaret Thatcher or any other person with political influence and power based upon perceived bad acts, and that doesn't change simply because they die. If anything, it becomes more compelling to commemorate those bad acts upon death as the only antidote against a society erecting a false and jingoistically self-serving history."

No tears from me. Her 'economic recovery' was as just as phony and fragile as Brown's. Her administration started the large scale transfer of wealth from the poor to the rich reversing the social progress made after WW2. Of course subsequent leaders, nominally representing either Labour or Tories, have continued along the same path, but the existence of their destructive actions don't make hers any less nasty.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/

PostSubject: Re: Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies   Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 10:28 pm

Flat_Track_Bully wrote:

"There is absolutely nothing wrong with loathing Margaret Thatcher or any other person with political influence and power based upon perceived bad acts, and that doesn't change simply because they die. If anything, it becomes more compelling to commemorate those bad acts upon death as the only antidote against a society erecting a false and jingoistically self-serving history."

Shucks. What a pity. Many will probably have to wait decades before letting Blair have it with both barrels then.
Back to top Go down
Flat_Track_Bully

Flat_Track_Bully

PostSubject: Re: Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies   Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 10:34 pm

Gert Loinz wrote:

Shucks. What a pity. Many will probably have to wait decades before letting Blair have it with both barrels then.

Well we can live in hope. Is he still earning coin working as a 'peace envoy'? That's got to be the sickest piece of political irony there's been.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/

PostSubject: Re: Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies   Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 10:34 pm

With luck the International Courts will get to see Mr Blair long before his demise.
Back to top Go down
Ken Adams

PostSubject: Re: Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies   Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 10:35 pm

Theres disliking someone and then theres speaking ill of the dead. She may not have been everyones cup of tea but shes now passed on. In death show a little respect for her and the family. Unfortunately a few of you are coming across as complete tw@ts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies   Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 10:43 pm

Gert Loinz wrote:
Greenjock wrote:
punchdrunk wrote:

Rip Maggie

feck me Jock, she didn't write all his books aswell did she?

lol! Nah I think it was a primary school kid who wrote most of them.

Politics is a shit subject to talk about without people falling out.

She undoubtedly helped a lot of people but also caused a hatred that I don't think will ever be equalled in a prime minister, so it depends how it worked out for you personally I guess.

A lot of my judgement of her comes from having a father, grandfather and uncle who worked in the coal mines, and my uncle was a Militant Tendency area something or other in Nottingham. He was battered black and blue at one battle, but he would definitely have been giving as good as he got.

The weird thing was my father was a Tory voter because of her, something I couldn't get my head around, but then he'd already moved to Cornwall to work in the tin mines a couple of years before Thatcher led the Tories.

Like Greenskin says though much in politics started years before the actual breaking point we hear most about.

It'll all calm down once her funeral is over and everyone will go back to concentrating on what's happening now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies   Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 10:44 pm

Ken Adams wrote:
Theres disliking someone and then theres speaking ill of the dead. She may not have been everyones cup of tea but shes now passed on. In death show a little respect for her and the family. Unfortunately a few of you are coming across as complete tw@ts.

If you think that Ken you obviously haven't seen Facebook and other social media. What's being said on here is feck all compared to some of the stuff I've seen.
Back to top Go down
shonbo

shonbo

PostSubject: Re: Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies   Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 10:47 pm

Ken Adams wrote:

Here here. LOve her or loathe her, she was a true leader who led, unlike the charlatans that followed her and were in it for themselves. Blair being the worst of the lot.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies   Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 10:50 pm

A bit more respect should be shown, this woman left both children and grandchildren remember.

Margaret Thatcher was a disaster for the working class and off course the Coal and Mining industries however she did seek to make 'achievement' attainable for all in a more free economic structure.

She did divide society in to rich and poor and perhaps her politics replicated another Victorian age but she did act like a true leader when standing up to Argentina to protect the nationality of Brits on the Falklands, as well as doing her part to crush communism.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies   Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 10:53 pm

Pitbull wrote:
A bit more respect should be shown, this woman left both children and grandchildren remember.

Margaret Thatcher was a disaster for the working class and off course the Coal and Mining industries however she did seek to make 'achievement' attainable for all in a more free economic structure.

She did divide society in to rich and poor and perhaps her politics replicated another Victorian age but she did act like a true leader when standing up to Argentina to protect the nationality of Brits on the Falklands, as well as doing her part to crush communism.

communism hasnt been crushed its still alive in alot of countries
Back to top Go down
Ken Adams

PostSubject: Re: Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies   Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 10:58 pm

Greenjock wrote:
Ken Adams wrote:

If you think that Ken you obviously haven't seen Facebook and other social media. What's being said on here is feck all compared to some of the stuff I've seen.

Sorry jock i dont dabble in facebook, call me old fashioned. I was brought up to show respect for others, especially in death. Maybe if you and others read back what you have written in the morning you may reconsider some rather choice words.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies   Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 11:05 pm

Ken Adams wrote:
Greenjock wrote:
Ken Adams wrote:

Sorry jock i dont dabble in facebook, call me old fashioned. I was brought up to show respect for others, especially in death. Maybe if you and others read back what you have written in the morning you may reconsider some rather choice words.

I know I won't, but that's just me and my experience at her hands.

If you're telling me it was wrong of Jews to celebrate the news that Hitler had been killed or Jimmy Savile's victims then I have to disagree. She wasn't a mass murderer or a paedophile, to my knowledge, but she did affect one helluva lot of people for years and years.

She thought of Nelson Mandela as a terrorist, yet was happy to befriend people like General Pinochet.

I still don't think I've posted anything that bad about her, in fact I would say that I've been pretty restrained.

Take a good look at soem of the comments under this Elvis Costello song about her.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies   Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 11:06 pm

It's a big mistake to think she was a disaster for the working class Pitbull because that is by no means true of everything done under her. It is also not that true about her making rich people rich and poor people poorer.

In every society the rich are needed to provide the means of work for others. Without them nothing would happen. Greedy bastards they may be but a necesity also. There are many people now who have an inheritance thanks to her policy of selling off council housing to the sitting tenants. In theory not a bad idea where you dispose of older property and make it an incentive for the people living in that house to own something they would never have aspired to. The flaw was not using the capital receipts to build new homes and therefore running down social housing numbers. But, despite a promise to release these capital receipts if elected, the Labour party never gave the go ahead to build. Ergo the shortage continues today. As for the Unions, it was them who brought down the previous Labour Government by a series of national strikes. The streets for those who remember it were overflowing with rubbish and rats in many places as one example. What she did was take them on and curb their enthusiasm for downing tools. It then for some time went the other way where the employer got the upper hand and wasn't that fair either. What both sides can't seem to do is compromise in any way so it was ever thus that one or the other held sway.

Re-writing history is never a good thing and it is amazing how memory clouds over time. Maggie was a right hard nut in political terms but there again sometimes a hard nut is needed. Churchill in WWII springs to mind. A person for the times but not for all time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies   Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 11:07 pm

Pitbull wrote:

Cobi to be fair you were born in 1997 or so and are relying on what others have said or written.

Plus you were the one who said that Nick Griffin wasn't a racist, so lets not get too political eh Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies   Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 11:16 pm

Greenjock wrote:
Pitbull wrote:

Cobi to be fair you were born in 1997 or so and are relying on what others have said or written.

Plus you were the one who said that Nick Griffin wasn't a racist, so lets not get too political eh Razz

i forgot about that little gem lol

besides alot of youngsters are coming out with simular stuff like cobi and their argument for feeling the way they do is they werent alive when hitler was killing jews but they still think that was wrong too!

thatcher maybe alot of things to alot of people but linking her to hitler is just wrong imo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies   Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 11:33 pm

The difference being that Hitler was a mega global story and is taught in history even to this day. Thatcher was not involved in global war and history isn't taught about her. No school to my knowledge teaches about the Falkland war for example. The thoughts of youngsters is coloured by parents and grandparents whose own ideas on the subject are often myth and what was printed after she went. They pick on one aspect and ignore the whole. As loads of people don't like marmite then it's not surprising lots think Thatcher was a tyrant who destroyed. My parents always voted Labour. If you asked them why it was because they thought they were working class and that was the sole reason. Nothing about policies or what was happening at the time around them. It just seemed a sin for them to think otherwise in their eyes. My mother thought Cameron was slimy but Blair wasn't. Reason being one was Tory and the other Labour. If ever pressed they both decided Politics wasn't worth talking about.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies   Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 11:38 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
The difference being that Hitler was a mega global story and is taught in history even to this day. Thatcher was not involved in global war and history isn't taught about her. No school to my knowledge teaches about the Falkland war for example. The thoughts of youngsters is coloured by parents and grandparents whose own ideas on the subject are often myth and what was printed after she went. They pick on one aspect and ignore the whole. As loads of people don't like marmite then it's not surprising lots think Thatcher was a tyrant who destroyed. My parents always voted Labour. If you asked them why it was because they thought they were working class and that was the sole reason. Nothing about policies or what was happening at the time around them. It just seemed a sin for them to think otherwise in their eyes. My mother thought Cameron was slimy but Blair wasn't. Reason being one was Tory and the other Labour. If ever pressed they both decided Politics wasn't worth talking about.

comparing her to hitler is wrong no matter how much diatribe you which to spin
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies   Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Thatcher, Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher Dies
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next