Chemical Ali
Nick
Rickler
Mock Cuncher
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Private Eye - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Private Eye   Private Eye - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 10:09 pm

Whereas with you Ricks, we all know you are Roger Rickler (The demon tickler) from the Westaway Sausage factory.

We all have your contact details (well, email anyway as [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]) and address as Westaways c/o Chipolata Bros, Links Lane, Plympton.

lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Private Eye   Private Eye - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 10:18 pm

So Private Eye has taught everybody what about Brent? That he is a hardnosed businessman which is why he got to be rich in the first place? Well blow me that's news isn't it. Why seeing it in black and white in a magazine should cause such angst when that was known already is slightly bizaar. Now if somebody had suggested if you upset him he would eat your children then I might just get why people appear put out by this. I will wait till something bad is done at Argyle before I will join the compulsory "I hate Brent" posting brigade.
Back to top Go down
merse

PostSubject: Re: Private Eye   Private Eye - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 10:20 pm

Greenjock wrote:
merse wrote:

Nobs like Nool might pick up habits but they don't have friends!

He's Brent's friend and secretary now.

Now I've got this vision of Nool sitting on Brent's lap and taking shorthand! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Private Eye   Private Eye - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 10:28 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The bit that rings alarm bells for me is "... and build homes in the grounds". The rest seems fair enough.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Private Eye   Private Eye - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 10:53 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
So Private Eye has taught everybody what about Brent? That he is a hardnosed businessman which is why he got to be rich in the first place? Well blow me that's news isn't it. Why seeing it in black and white in a magazine should cause such angst when that was known already is slightly bizaar. Now if somebody had suggested if you upset him he would eat your children then I might just get why people appear put out by this. I will wait till something bad is done at Argyle before I will join the compulsory "I hate Brent" posting brigade.
That he's not some charitable rich man who is looking to preserve things important to the SW community (as he claimed was his reason behind his interest in buying PAFC).

I don't hate him, I'm just deeply suspicious.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

PostSubject: Re: Private Eye   Private Eye - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 11:16 pm

I'm curious now as to this hate claim, it's not been mentioned on ATD. Is there something going on in the pasoti clan regarding a hate campaign directed at James, SG?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Private Eye   Private Eye - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 11:27 pm

It doesn't prove anything of the sort. Since when did he claim to be charitable? He stated he wanted to preserve a football side for the City of Plymouth but never said he was a charity to do it. What state was this building in when he got it from Torbay Council? As I understand it they had let it fall into disrepair so clearly were not that bothered about it when they owned it. I just wish the people who jump on the Brent bashing bandwagon, and there are those that do just because it's Brent, came up with something a bit more tangible to kick him with. Just having a kick for kicking sake is tedious and pointless.

It is sufficient that people are watching him and what he does having had severe finger burning from the previous encumbants of the Boardroom. When or if he step out of line then fine, have a pop and very loudly too. But not just for being James Brent. There is absolutely nothing in the Private Eye story to raise a storm in Plymouth and very little that was not already known in Plymouth either. At the moment I'm in neutral in my feelings about Brent. I'm not about to look for an excuse to have a bash where a reason doesn't rightly exist but I'm also not about to give him unconditional trust either. If this is the best the serial bashers can come up with then it is a bit on the weak side.

Before pressing "send" I've just seen GOB's post. I think there is a bit of a hate campaign going on yes and on here. Some people seem to post nothing but negative things regarding Brent but I have yet to see any real cause for this. Lots of people wanted the staff to be paid all monies due upfront. So would I have wanted that also. OK that didn't happen and Brent drove a hard bargain whilst completing his aquisition but he hasn't become the two headed monster some would have you believe he is in disguise either. I think some on here look for something to moan about regarding Brent and grasp at any straw going to do so. Perhaps if they kept their powder dry until there was something worthwhile getting upset about it might seem a little more measured and even handed. Just my observation.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Private Eye   Private Eye - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 11:38 pm

ahhh right lol!
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Private Eye   Private Eye - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 6:50 am

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
It doesn't prove anything of the sort. Since when did he claim to be charitable? He stated he wanted to preserve a football side for the City of Plymouth but never said he was a charity to do it. What state was this building in when he got it from Torbay Council? As I understand it they had let it fall into disrepair so clearly were not that bothered about it when they owned it. I just wish the people who jump on the Brent bashing bandwagon, and there are those that do just because it's Brent, came up with something a bit more tangible to kick him with. Just having a kick for kicking sake is tedious and pointless.

It is sufficient that people are watching him and what he does having had severe finger burning from the previous encumbants of the Boardroom. When or if he step out of line then fine, have a pop and very loudly too. But not just for being James Brent. There is absolutely nothing in the Private Eye story to raise a storm in Plymouth and very little that was not already known in Plymouth either. At the moment I'm in neutral in my feelings about Brent. I'm not about to look for an excuse to have a bash where a reason doesn't rightly exist but I'm also not about to give him unconditional trust either. If this is the best the serial bashers can come up with then it is a bit on the weak side.

Before pressing "send" I've just seen GOB's post. I think there is a bit of a hate campaign going on yes and on here. Some people seem to post nothing but negative things regarding Brent but I have yet to see any real cause for this. Lots of people wanted the staff to be paid all monies due upfront. So would I have wanted that also. OK that didn't happen and Brent drove a hard bargain whilst completing his aquisition but he hasn't become the two headed monster some would have you believe he is in disguise either. I think some on here look for something to moan about regarding Brent and grasp at any straw going to do so. Perhaps if they kept their powder dry until there was something worthwhile getting upset about it might seem a little more measured and even handed. Just my observation.

The company he keeps concerns me, as a rightly cynical, long standing but lapsed supporter of PAFC.

Only time will tell if he is to be a good custodian of the club but the fact that he seems to believe that the likes of the local activists are representative of the ambitions of the wider support, does not fill me with optimism or excitement. Quite the opposite in fact.
Back to top Go down
merse

PostSubject: Re: Private Eye   Private Eye - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 7:51 am

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
What state was this building in when he got it from Torbay Council? As I understand it they had let it fall into disrepair so clearly were not that bothered about it when they owned it.
I think there is a bit of a hate campaign going on yes and on here. Some people seem to post nothing but negative things regarding Brent but I have yet to see any real cause for this. Lots of people wanted the staff to be paid all monies due upfront.
So would I have wanted that also. OK that didn't happen and Brent drove a hard bargain whilst completing his aquisition...............

OK three points I would take you up on Sensiblegreeny:

What was the state of Oldway? It had not "fallen into disrepair" for sure, it was no different to any other iconic, classic and historical building in that it consumes huge amounts of money in maintainance which is what the local authority were so keen to offload ~ hence the deal they sought. But that DOES NOT mean denying the public access to what had become a public facility and source of much love and pride in the community. As for building homes in the grounds ~ a definite no, no and anyone carpetbagging such a public asset contemplating that obviously has no regard for the community.

People posting negative comments: The sole purpose of supporting a football club is to gain pleasure from it's existence, hence a new owner who blatantly invests nothing in the prime reason for that club existing is going to attract negativity, indeed suspicion when people ask the question ~ "if he has bought our club but does not intend to do his level best to maintain it's current level of status, what are his REAL motives?"

Paying the staff their monies due: Don't try and tell me that Akkeron with all their accumulated assets cannot make these payments in total and in an honourable way to people who, without their labours being carried out; there would not have been a business for him to carpet bag in the first place. Brent is not a philanthropist but a "hard nosed businessman" as you rightly describe him. Therefore that businessman is morally obliged to pay the staff he has acquired through acquisition of the company as part of that acquisition.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Private Eye   Private Eye - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 8:49 am

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
Since when did he claim to be charitable?

I'm not sure James Brent's ever claimed to be charitable, although he has said some good stuff about working for the benefit of the community.

But at least one poster over there's been making much of the fact that he donated his fee from the defunct City Centre Management Company (or whatever it was called) to charity, and suggested that other monies might go the same way.

I've no axe to grind one way or the other, apart from agreeing with others that the staff should have been paid every penny due at the earliest opportunity.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Private Eye   Private Eye - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 9:11 am

GOB wrote:
I'm curious now as to this hate claim, it's not been mentioned on ATD. Is there something going on in the pasoti clan regarding a hate campaign directed at James, SG?

For example, my pointing out that because Matt Lecointe scored for England his price would go up when we sell him (and everybody knows we will), according to Postey this is me using every available opportunity to rubbish JB. I am sceptical of his motives, I hope he comes good for the club, but will believe it when I see it, but no hate campaign.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Private Eye   Private Eye - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 9:15 am

As far as I'm aware, though, the issue was that the Players' Union refused to allow any deal to pay the 'ordinary' staff without doing the same for the players. That would have meant many thousands of pounds extra.

I've said all along he was a hard-nosed businessman but that doesn't mean he isn't out to make Argyle a viable club. They're not exclusive. With all my usual caveats about rich people and a more equitable society, I'd still say that he is delivering what he promised to deliver. I shall withhold any major criticism or praise for a while - it's too early to tell either way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Private Eye   Private Eye - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 11:08 am

I think that Brent would be happy to see Argyle as a successful club but that it doesn't figure in his bucket list as some would like to impress.

It's a case of making as much dosh as possible and if Argyle do well then great, but if Argyle doesn't do well it'll be "Oh well".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Private Eye   Private Eye - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 11:21 am

knecht wrote:
As far as I'm aware, though, the issue was that the Players' Union refused to allow any deal to pay the 'ordinary' staff without doing the same for the players. That would have meant many thousands of pounds extra.

I've said all along he was a hard-nosed businessman but that doesn't mean he isn't out to make Argyle a viable club. They're not exclusive. With all my usual caveats about rich people and a more equitable society, I'd still say that he is delivering what he promised to deliver. I shall withhold any major criticism or praise for a while - it's too early to tell either way.

And why couldn't he have paid the players their full wages as well when he bought the club? That's my issue with him. It's not like he couldn't afford to pay it off in one lump sum, rather than rely on fans donating some of their hard earned pittance of a wage compared with his millions.

Then it would have been a clean slate with the club able to use any profits from player sales/ cup runs instead of having to handicap ourselves for the next 5 years.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Private Eye   Private Eye - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 11:34 am

Brent seems to be using the convenient card for not forking out and dosh.

It was convenient that cheating prevented him form jumping into the transfer market in January to give the club a greater chance of survival.

It's convenient that there are fans willing to shell out to keep the club going and to pay the staff wages.

It's convenient that there are fans willing to take over and run the club (GASB).

It's convenient that the Players' Union refused to allow any deal to pay the staff.

It's convenient that Reid had to be sacked and be replaced by a cheaper option.

I predict a convenient miniature Grandstand as we will be either in the lowest division or the Conference. Is it a coincidence that all these conveniences add up to Brent forking out as little dosh as possible for his hotel and developments?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Private Eye   Private Eye - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 12:01 pm

Babbs is making some very interesting and eye opening points on Pasoti. To me it seems that the club still retains millions of debt that cannot be serviced and will possibly place the club in a very vulnerable position in the future?
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Private Eye   Private Eye - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 12:57 pm

It certainly won't get serviced by 4k Avivas if we're relegated.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Private Eye   Private Eye - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 1:10 pm

GOB wrote:
Babbs is making some very interesting and eye opening points on Pasoti. To me it seems that the club still retains millions of debt that cannot be serviced and will possibly place the club in a very vulnerable position in the future?

Me too, the trouble is that when you try and ask questions it is moaning, keep asking questions that don't get answered it then turns into a hate campaign. Grovey has been asked to come and meet Brent face to face to ask all his questions or shut up, the trouble is the more people dodge questions the more inquisitive it makes me, I mean a cynical person would say they don't want questions as they know we wouldn't like the answers.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Private Eye   Private Eye - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 1:18 pm

GOB wrote:

Whats also is interesting is that never an answer to his queries. Some of which have a huge impact on the football side of things. Nothing. There is utter silence. Compare and contrast with the response Grovehill gets. He gets shouted down, called names, told his questions have been answered many times and offered a meet and greet with JB.

Now you might think that Baba would get a reasoned response as I'm sure there are people who know the answer or even the same offer to discuss it with Brent if he's that concerned. But nothing nada from those close to the deal and close to Brent now.

As far as I can tell the club have to still pay some unkonwn sum to Lombard and the Council from any development profits, still pay the Trust, still pay Mastpoint unsecured debt from TV money, there is a question mark over Mastpoint/Roy Gardner secured loans (see Pasoti), still pay the players and staff deferred wages and still fund a competent football team in which ever League we are in next year.

Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Private Eye   Private Eye - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 1:41 pm

Dougie wrote:
GOB wrote:

Whats also is interesting is that never an answer to his queries. Some of which have a huge impact on the football side of things. Nothing. There is utter silence. Compare and contrast with the response Grovehill gets. He gets shouted down, called names, told his questions have been answered many times and offered a meet and greet with JB.

Now you might think that Baba would get a reasoned response as I'm sure there are people who know the answer or even the same offer to discuss it with Brent if he's that concerned. But nothing nada from those close to the deal and close to Brent now.

As far as I can tell the club have to still pay some unkonwn sum to Lombard and the Council from any development profits, still pay the Trust, still pay Mastpoint unsecured debt from TV money, there is a question mark over Mastpoint/Roy Gardner secured loans (see Pasoti), still pay the players and staff deferred wages and still fund a competent football team in which ever League we are in next year.

Brent will not answer questions on issues concerning money and liabilities etc. He said as much on the BBC interview last month.
Back to top Go down
merse

PostSubject: Re: Private Eye   Private Eye - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 4:21 pm

merse wrote:

The repayment of defaulted wages and salaries over five years at 1.5% interest betrays a hard nosed and belligerent approach to business and the blackmail of Tony Campbell further proof.

Of course Brent's belligerence impacted on Campbell's bid to buy control of Weymouth Football Club which has now been off loaded by their very own "owner with ulterior motives" George Rolls, to local man Nigel Biddlecombe.

Campbell was quoted as saying at the time:

"Weymouth is a lot bigger currently than many clubs playing in the Football League,.
If you look at Weymouth's gates when they were in the Conference, they were probably higher than about eight clubs currently in the Football League. So potentially it is a club that has the capacity to play league football."

Bigger than that many Football League clubs? Oh really, who do you think he was talking about there then? A bit more gate potential as a Football League club should they ever get there granted, but "bigger"? no, I think they might out do fellow seaside clubs Torquay and Morecambe on midweek gates; but that's about their ceiling I would say.

I think his judgement is flawed there.................what was the general opinion of him as the COO of Plymouth Argyle?
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: Private Eye   Private Eye - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 5:26 pm

merse wrote:
merse wrote:

The repayment of defaulted wages and salaries over five years at 1.5% interest betrays a hard nosed and belligerent approach to business and the blackmail of Tony Campbell further proof.

Of course Brent's belligerence impacted on Campbell's bid to buy control of Weymouth Football Club which has now been off loaded by their very own "owner with ulterior motives" George Rolls, to local man Nigel Biddlecombe.

Campbell was quoted as saying at the time:

"Weymouth is a lot bigger currently than many clubs playing in the Football League,.
If you look at Weymouth's gates when they were in the Conference, they were probably higher than about eight clubs currently in the Football League. So potentially it is a club that has the capacity to play league football."

Bigger than that many Football League clubs? Oh really, who do you think he was talking about there then? A bit more gate potential as a Football League club should they ever get there granted, but "bigger"? no, I think they might out do fellow seaside clubs Torquay and Morecambe on midweek gates; but that's about their ceiling I would say.

I think his judgement is flawed there.................what was the general opinion of him as the COO of Plymouth Argyle?

His position as COO was nothing more than a made-up 'jobs for the boys' position as far as I'm concerned. His sole purpose for loitering around the club was to keep an eye on Kagami's investment (supposedly). Once RAG & Toad joined the board, which effectively gave them full control alongside Kagami, it just made sense to give him a full-time role and a wage. He isn't a football man, never has been. I guess he has learnt a few things along the way though and seen an opportunity to make some money. He was also part of a bid to take over Rushden & D? before they got wound up.
Back to top Go down
merse

PostSubject: Re: Private Eye   Private Eye - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 9:50 pm

Coxside_Green wrote:
I guess he has learnt a few things along the way though and seen an opportunity to make some money. He was also part of a bid to take over Rushden & D? before they got wound up.

R&D (or rather Nene Park has) has been a can of worms with a few familiar "faces" sniffing around the site on which there is fantastic potential to develope a sporting academy with hotel accommodation as well as expansive indoor facilities already in situ.
Gary Calder who was CE at Weymouth and was involved with George Rolls the most recent owner of Weymouth at Cambridge United. He was also briefly involved with R&D before they went bust. The business Calder planned to develope at Weymouth had far more potential for success in Northants and so he moved his ideas there. I suspect Calder and Rolls go back in time to their days at Leyton Orient together years ago and as I said they were together too at Cambridge United where Rolls made Martin Ling's life hell.

Now of course Rolls has bought Kettering off Imran Ladak who has moved them out of Rockingham Road and into Nene Park but gone bust, whilst he has disposed of Weymouth ~ expect Calder to roll up at Kettering soon.

Is Kagami Japanese? Because there was a strong Japanese interest in Nene Park recently in conjunction with The Glenn Hoddle Academy ~ but the financial backing from Japan never materialised. Sounds a bit familiar to me.

So do you reckon Tony Campbell is "in" with this lot then?
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: Private Eye   Private Eye - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 10:45 pm

merse wrote:
Is Kagami Japanese? Because there was a strong Japanese interest in Nene Park recently in conjunction with The Glenn Hoddle Academy ~ but the financial backing from Japan never materialised. Sounds a bit familiar to me.

So do you reckon Tony Campbell is "in" with this lot then?

Yes Kagami is Japanese. TBH I've not got a clue about The Glenn Hoddle Academy (my knowledge of football related stuff elsewhere is completely naff these days due to real lack of interest in the game at large) so couldn't answer if TC was involved with that or not. TC's involvement with R & D was from last May onwards.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Private Eye   Private Eye - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Private Eye
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2