Elias
Tgwu
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Greenskin

Greenskin

AFC Wimbledon JPT thread. - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AFC Wimbledon JPT thread.   AFC Wimbledon JPT thread. - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 10:36 pm

ejh wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
ejh wrote:
I know we're not allowed to bring up Sheridan, but winning 3-2 after going 2-0 down....??

#breathoffreshair #winning #alwaysscoringmorethanyou

Not a question of not being allowed, just that it's a fecking bore. Am I allowed to point out that Argyle beat league 1 play off chasers Swindon 3-2 in the JPT last season?

#selectivememory#simplisticismymiddlename#

Anyway, well done to DA and the team, lets hope this years draw is better than Coventry away last season.

Shez doesn't manage to win from behind in about two seasons, Derek Adams does it in three games. No even counting Forest Green either.

I think that is a cause for celebration, but each to their own. If you'd prefer to gloomily shake your whisky in the corner of a darkened room thinking of the great football under JS, I'll leave you to it!!

Wasn't thinking anything other than what a daft 'apporth you are sometimes, in all truth. I don't drink whisky either-even if I did, a JPT win wouldn't really be the stimulus to crack open the Bells, meritorious though tonight's effort was. Did you celebrate the win over Swindon last year as a matter of interest?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AFC Wimbledon JPT thread.   AFC Wimbledon JPT thread. - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 10:36 pm

If players stay fit, and some Mandaric doesn't appear on the horizon spreading his poison, this team are going up.

A good team is easy to spot from very early on. Couldn't care less about the JPT though. A poor man's Devon Professional Bowl.
Very, very rare for an Argyle team to show so well, so early in the season. Word might get around quite quickly so as the attendances actually climb quite quickly for a change. That should help the feel good factor for Adams to work with. Man of the moment.

My boycott of Brent's Home Park will still stand for all the other reasons, but I guess I'll have to take in a couple of away games sooner than I had anticipated. I do like the movement and swashbuckling ways of the new players, from the little I've seen.
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: AFC Wimbledon JPT thread.   AFC Wimbledon JPT thread. - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 10:40 pm

Sheridan done a similar job to what Pulis done for us 8-9 years ago. Saved us from inevitable relegation, made us difficult to beat and cut out the deadwood. Just like under Pulis, much of the football was dull but there were also some exceptional performances, Pompey, Exeter, Fleetwood away, Morecambe etc.

Just like Holloway, Adams has benefitted from the previous manager's work, able to immediately bring in a few of his own players and mix it up with the decent players already here. Let's just hope if we're still up there come January the board doesn't sell off our playing assets.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AFC Wimbledon JPT thread.   AFC Wimbledon JPT thread. - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 10:41 pm

Mock Cuncher wrote:
Well, I'm happy for him.

It's different circumstances than the Shez though. Remember he's inherited a top 7 side, whereas Shezza took over Fletcher's bag of shite.

Not sure if this is a tongue in cheek post or not?

Sheridan's team last season was certainly top 7 quality. It just goes to show the importance of a manager's philosophy and energy and how it transmits to the players, in my opinion.

Under Sheridan not only did we hardly ever come back from a goal down, we didn't even look like we understood it was possible. We were unable to change things at all, or fight our way out of a situation.

Under Derek Adams, aside from the football bring a lot more entertaining, we can respond to a goal down by stepping it up a notch. DA changes his tactics during games, and whether we are winning or losing it has an impact.

Correct me if I am wrong but we have been in losing positions four times under Derek Adams: Forest Green Rovers friendly, Gillingham in the League cup, Pompey and Wimbledon tonight. In two of those games we came back from two goal deficits to win. In one we had about 3 mins of time left. So Portsmouth was the only game we were comprehensively beaten over the 90, and even in that one we got a goal back!!

Let's just agree that it probably isn't going to be another two years before we come back from a losing position after tonight, and privately celebrate in our own little ways that we can handle going a goal or two behind without throwing in a towel.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AFC Wimbledon JPT thread.   AFC Wimbledon JPT thread. - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 10:46 pm

Excellent point about Pulis, Coxside. Pretty much how it is.
I really can't think of any way Brent could get away with that in January, even with the Pasoti faithful. He will probably "sacrifice" Reid, is my guess.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AFC Wimbledon JPT thread.   AFC Wimbledon JPT thread. - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 10:49 pm

Greenskin wrote:
ejh wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
ejh wrote:
I know we're not allowed to bring up Sheridan, but winning 3-2 after going 2-0 down....??

Not a question of not being allowed, just that it's a fecking bore. Am I allowed to point out that Argyle beat league 1 play off chasers Swindon 3-2 in the JPT last season?

Anyway, well done to DA and the team, lets hope this years draw is better than Coventry away last season.

Shez doesn't manage to win from behind in about two seasons, Derek Adams does it in three games. No even counting Forest Green either.

I think that is a cause for celebration, but each to their own. If you'd prefer to gloomily shake your whisky in the corner of a darkened room thinking of the great football under JS, I'll leave you to it!!

Wasn't thinking anything other than what a daft 'apporth you are sometimes, in all truth. I don't drink whisky either-even if I did, a JPT win wouldn't really be the stimulus to crack open the Bells, meritorious though tonight's effort was. Did you celebrate the win over Swindon last year as a matter of interest?

Course I did, as with any Argyle win. But the Swindon win wasn't ground breaking in many ways, was it? We went 3-0 up, Lewis Alessandra brace, Smalley scored a cracker, and from 3-0 up we conceded two and hung on.

The JPT win tonight was done in a fashion that our previous manager, in two seasons, couldn't achieve (Pasoti informs it was 913 days since last achieved in a competitive match). A win from a losing position. And it was done within a month of Adams's season.

Reasons to be cheerful, surely?
Back to top Go down
mikes

PostSubject: Re: AFC Wimbledon JPT thread.   AFC Wimbledon JPT thread. - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 11:01 pm

Just to confirm

Brunt scored the second from a Wylde(?) cross after neat interplay from a throw in level with the box down left wing.

McHugh scored the third after a corner(?) that the keeper punched way up in the air. It was dropping right to him and thankfully the Dons defenders took too long to react. McHugh looked mighty pleased to have scored and ran behind that goal to celebrate in front of the Green Army. He nearly had a fourth too after a slick passing move down the right.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: AFC Wimbledon JPT thread.   AFC Wimbledon JPT thread. - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 11:05 pm

ejh wrote:
Mock Cuncher wrote:
Well, I'm happy for him.

It's different circumstances than the Shez though. Remember he's inherited a top 7 side, whereas Shezza took over Fletcher's bag of shite.

Sheridan's team last season was certainly top 7 quality. It just goes to show the importance of a manager's philosophy and energy and how it transmits to the players, in my opinion.

Under Sheridan not only did we hardly ever come back from a goal down, we didn't even look like we understood it was possible. We were unable to change things at all, or fight our way out of a situation.

Under Derek Adams, aside from the football bring a lot more entertaining, we can respond to a goal down by stepping it up a notch. DA changes his tactics during games, and whether we are winning or losing it has an impact.

Correct me if I am wrong but we have been in losing positions four times under Derek Adams: Forest Green Rovers friendly, Gillingham in the League cup, Pompey and Wimbledon tonight. In two of those games we came back from two goal deficits to win. In one we had about 3 mins of time left. So Portsmouth was the only game we were comprehensively beaten over the 90, and even in that one we got a goal back!!

Let's just agree that it probably isn't going to be another two years before we come back from a losing position after tonight, and privately celebrate in our own little ways that we can handle going a goal or two behind without throwing in a towel.
Hmm. AFC Wimbledon are a team we already beat this season, and lost their midfielder and the replacement midfielder to injury tonight.

I'm 'appy, of course I am, but unless it becomes a trend, then you can put it down to one of those things
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: AFC Wimbledon JPT thread.   AFC Wimbledon JPT thread. - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 11:10 pm

ejh wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
ejh wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
ejh wrote:

Course I did, as with any Argyle win. But the Swindon win wasn't ground breaking in many ways, was it? We went 3-0 up, Lewis Alessandra brace, Smalley scored a cracker, and from 3-0 up we conceded two and hung on.

The JPT win tonight was done in a fashion that our previous manager, in two seasons, couldn't achieve (Pasoti informs it was 913 days since last achieved in a competitive match). A win from a losing position. And it was done within a month of Adams's season.

Sure. But it was you who brought the comparison between managers up with the implication that some people wouldn't be happy about Argyle winning because they happened to back Sheridan to the end of his tenure.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AFC Wimbledon JPT thread.   AFC Wimbledon JPT thread. - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 11:27 pm

Greenskin wrote:
ejh wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
ejh wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
ejh wrote:

Sure. But it was you who brought the comparison between managers up with the implication that some people wouldn't be happy about Argyle winning because they happened to back Sheridan to the end of his tenure.

I brought Sheridan up purely because we all know a win under the circumstances (being 2-0 down) would not have happened under him. The rest is all in your head I'm afraid - the not allowed to bring up Sheridan part refers to a debate on Pasoti recently where a dozen posters got their knickers in a twist because someone dared say that life under Adams is better than it was with Sheridan.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AFC Wimbledon JPT thread.   AFC Wimbledon JPT thread. - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 11:35 pm

Mock Cuncher wrote:
ejh wrote:
Mock Cuncher wrote:
Well, I'm happy for him.

Hmm. AFC Wimbledon are a team we already beat this season, and lost their midfielder and the replacement midfielder to injury tonight.

I'm 'appy, of course I am, but unless it becomes a trend, then you can put it down to one of those things

Looking at my amateur data compilation, we've come back in half the games we've been losing in under Adams to win the game.

Small sample size, but already a lot better than 0 in many dozens across two seasons, where if we went a goal behind we weren't winning and we knew it.

You can see under DA, even if this is a honeymoon period which will peter out, the team has great counter attacking potential with a number of outlets. We've seen DA successfully shake the tactics up a number of times. All together our team result doesn't overly rest on whether Reuben is playing well or not, which sadly came to define the Sheridan era all to well for me. It's a simple statement, but Greenskin calls me simple anyway so it won't disappoint.
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: AFC Wimbledon JPT thread.   AFC Wimbledon JPT thread. - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 12:41 am

Can't we just move on from Sheridan. If you need comparisons then lets compare DA to John Hore, David Kemp, Kevin Hodges etc etc. Shez got us from bottom to 10th and then 7th and while I'll be the first to accept that under Shez we were so so unpredictable and we couldn't fightback after going behind he did improve season on season. He's left - he's gone - history! Lets move on! This team is rather good and I feel this season could be it. Lets hope so.
Oh and fans concerned about RR in January! I'm more concerned about Jervis, Carey, Nelson and even Del Bhoy!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AFC Wimbledon JPT thread.   AFC Wimbledon JPT thread. - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 1:10 am

tigertony wrote:
Can't we just move on from Sheridan. If you need comparisons then lets compare DA to John Hore, David Kemp, Kevin Hodges etc etc. Shez got us from bottom to 10th and then 7th and while I'll be the first to accept that under Shez we were so so unpredictable and we couldn't fightback after going behind he did improve season on season. He's left - he's gone - history! Lets move on! This team is rather good and I feel this season could be it. Lets hope so.
Oh and fans concerned about RR in January! I'm more concerned about Jervis, Carey, Nelson and even Del Bhoy!!!!

exactly why the club need to start new contract talks now rather than wait till jan.
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: AFC Wimbledon JPT thread.   AFC Wimbledon JPT thread. - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 1:18 am

Off to a flyer for the Season. This team is going places. Thanks to the Pompey Game average in league already over 8,000 which will quickly rise to 10,000 staying in top 3 and playing attractive football.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: AFC Wimbledon JPT thread.   AFC Wimbledon JPT thread. - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 1:43 am

Didnt argyle have a great start 79-80 and finish dismally in 7th place ? Won first ten ganes maybe...
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: AFC Wimbledon JPT thread.   AFC Wimbledon JPT thread. - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 1:44 am

Forgot to add great win over the treehugging protest phoney club. Lovely jubbly
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AFC Wimbledon JPT thread.   AFC Wimbledon JPT thread. - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 6:54 am

Really can't get used to this you score 2 and we'll score 3 - absolute, no surrender!! Del Bhey & co, please continue!!
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: AFC Wimbledon JPT thread.   AFC Wimbledon JPT thread. - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 7:20 am

I think it would have been nigh on impossible to follow Fletchers tenure immediately with the kind of players/style that Adams has brought to the club. We needed solidity at the back to stave off a relegation nightmare. Shez gave us that. Adams had moved us on from an attacking perspective foreshore. Long may that continue.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AFC Wimbledon JPT thread.   AFC Wimbledon JPT thread. - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 7:40 am

It's a great start and winning games will unite the team on and off the pitch very quickly. The real test will be in January when injuries and suspensions kick in. But after all these years of shite let's enjoy it while we can.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: AFC Wimbledon JPT thread.   AFC Wimbledon JPT thread. - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 8:00 am

Agreed Frank...

I  rarely comment on playing matters because I rarely see us play...

But even I will butt in here and say that from the little footage I have seen, and from what I read, there is a radical difference with this team than from any other Argyle team since administration?

Who knows how it will pan out?  Lots of teams - and managers - have started in bright fashion and then floundered.  But one thing is for sure at the moment.  The fans have 'hope' that the team and manager can do well, and that is one thing that has been missing for yonks...

Hope certainly isn't enough to get us promoted, but until another reality kicks in, it's better than anything else experienced with Argyle since admin.

Live in it...
Back to top Go down
hippo

PostSubject: Re: AFC Wimbledon JPT thread.   AFC Wimbledon JPT thread. - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 8:30 am

Rickler wrote:
Agreed Frank...

I rarely comment on playing matters because I rarely see us play...

But even I will butt in here and say that from the little footage I have seen, and from what I read, there is a radical difference with this team than from any other Argyle team since administration?

Who knows how it will pan out? Lots of teams - and managers - have started in bright fashion and then floundered. But one thing is for sure at the moment. The fans have 'hope' that the team and manager can do well, and that is one thing that has been missing for yonks...

Hope certainly isn't enough to get us promoted, but until another reality kicks in, it's better than anything else experienced with Argyle since admin.

Live in it...

Spot on, it feels different this year, hope and excitement, long may it continue.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AFC Wimbledon JPT thread.   AFC Wimbledon JPT thread. - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 8:55 am

Czarcasm wrote:
I think it would have been nigh on impossible to follow Fletchers tenure immediately with the kind of players/style that Adams has brought to the club. We needed solidity at the back to stave off a relegation nightmare. Shez gave us that. Adams had moved us on from an attacking perspective foreshore. Long may that continue.

That's fair - to an extent. Sheridan did keep us up - eternally grateful for that....though with the caveat that we had to rely on other results to achieve survival, rather than ensuring it ourselves.

The following season he took us safely to mid-table by making us hard to beat (a la Pulis) but last season he had clearly run out of the few ideas he had in the first place. Average manager; thanks but no thanks.

It suits some agendas to put all problems on the current board and all success on the manager. The truth is more grey than some people on this board would like.

No more from me on the previous set-up.....just happy to see us winning, especially showing the nuts to come back from 2 down away from home.

If our manager gets poached, it'll be because we've been promoted. I can live with that.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: AFC Wimbledon JPT thread.   AFC Wimbledon JPT thread. - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 9:21 am

Angry wrote:
sufferedsince 68 wrote:
Mock Cuncher wrote:
Well, I'm happy for him.

Spot on Mock, if it was'nt for Lord Shez we would be playing Forest Green in league matches! He saved us from the Brent/Fletcher non league drop foreshore.

Absolutely fools who are quick to re write his time here should remember what he inherited to what he left behind.

Yup. How that team stayed up will always be a mystery. And during his two full seasons here we were never in the slightest danger of relegation, which was some achievement for a club that had finished 21st or lower for five consecutive seasons. We owe him a lot.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: AFC Wimbledon JPT thread.   AFC Wimbledon JPT thread. - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 9:29 am

Innocent Egbunike wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

That's fair - to an extent. Sheridan did keep us up - eternally grateful for that....though with the caveat that we had to rely on other results to achieve survival, rather than ensuring it ourselves.

The following season he took us safely to mid-table by making us hard to beat (a la Pulis) but last season he had clearly run out of the few ideas he had in the first place. Average manager; thanks but no thanks.

It suits some agendas to put all problems on the current board and all success on the manager. The truth is more grey than some people on this board would like.

No more from me on the previous set-up.....just happy to see us winning, especially showing the nuts to come back from 2 down away from home.

If our manager gets poached, it'll be because we've been promoted. I can live with that.

Without wishing to drag up boring old arguments [the statement about relying on either teams to stay up is simplistic rubbish BTW Smile ], which seems to be the modus operandi of one or two of the more gloatingly self-satisfied posters on here and elsewhere, it could also be said that there have been agendas in the past where the reverse has applied in the manager/board balance- maybe there is some historical reasoning behind the apparently one sided approach. Let's see what transpires over this and the next season or two before whacking off too enthusiastically about the underlying state of affairs at Home Park. It looks as though the board have done well in appointing DA and due credit to them for that but one promotion and then either stagnation or regression won't be good enough AFAIC-the club must push on from there and aim to be Swansea rather than Rotherham-seen too many promising managers down here either get shafted or bugger off elsewhere when they realised that they weren't going to be backed sufficiently to meet their ambitions.
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

PostSubject: Re: AFC Wimbledon JPT thread.   AFC Wimbledon JPT thread. - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 10:04 am

Innocent Egbunike wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

That oft spouted statement always makes me smile. It could be said that every team relies on the results of others to "achieve" anything, be it survival, mid table mediocrity, promotion or league champions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AFC Wimbledon JPT thread.   AFC Wimbledon JPT thread. - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

AFC Wimbledon JPT thread.
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next