Czarcasm
Greenskin
Tgwu
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tgwu

Curtis Nelson-appointed Empty
PostSubject: Curtis Nelson-appointed   Curtis Nelson-appointed EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 7:57 pm

Curtis Nelson appointed Plymouth Argyle captain at the age of only 21

DEFENDER Curtis Nelson will captain Plymouth Argyle next season - at the age of only 21.

Nelson replaces Conor Hourihane, who was sold to League One outfit Barnsley for £200,000 in June, as the Pilgrims’ skipper.

He made his debut for the Pilgrims aged 16 and has gone on to make 143 first team appearances.

Nelson was Argyle’s 2013/14 young player-of-the-year and signed a new contract with the club earlier this summer, which takes him through to the summer of 2016.

Defender Peter Hartley, a close season capture from Stevenage, will be Nelson’s vice-captain.

Meanwhile, goalkeeper Luke McCormick, now in his second spell at Home Park, has been named as Argyle’s club captain.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Nelson-appointed   Curtis Nelson-appointed EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 10:21 pm

Good move i would say,may help to mature Nelson even more than in the past couple of seasons.Must admit that when i saw that Hartley was being mooted for the captaincy,horrible visions of another Northern Centre back by the name of Swan came into my mind. affraid What a shithouse.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Nelson-appointed   Curtis Nelson-appointed EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 10:23 pm

happy about Curtis being given the Armband however i dont feel its right given what luke did that he should hold the club captain role however meaingless a title it is like being argyle president.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Nelson-appointed   Curtis Nelson-appointed EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 7:16 am

McCormick being named club captain isn't the best decision by the club. As a person ( I've met him a couple of times) he's a really nice fella and if he didn't have the 'history' he'd be the perfect club captain. But the past can't simply be whitewashed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Nelson-appointed   Curtis Nelson-appointed EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 10:01 am

Nelson - perhaps the most shy and quiet player in the first team?

Sheridan must have some sort of grand plan to develop his leadership qualities and character. It brought confidence to hourihane's game and made him an infinitely better player.

We can only assume Hartley will be doing all the yelling and organising, whoever the captain is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Nelson-appointed   Curtis Nelson-appointed EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 11:50 am

Agree about Luke - nice guy and good keeper but shouldnt be club captain. Not great for either the club or him in my opinion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Nelson-appointed   Curtis Nelson-appointed EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 1:09 pm

Or the cynic in me would suggest that Nelson has been made captain so that we can lever a bigger fee from any club that buys him, that thought crossed my mind with Hourihane as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Nelson-appointed   Curtis Nelson-appointed EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 1:28 pm

Iggy wrote:
Or the cynic in me would suggest that Nelson has been made captain so that we can lever a bigger fee from any club that buys him, that thought crossed my mind with Hourihane as well.

You have a good point here.
Back to top Go down
125+1

125+1

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Nelson-appointed   Curtis Nelson-appointed EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 3:22 pm

Iggy wrote:

Lets hope so.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Nelson-appointed   Curtis Nelson-appointed EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 4:01 pm

Womble wrote:
Agree about Luke - nice guy and good keeper but shouldnt be club captain.  Not great for either the club or him in my opinion.

Tactless!
Back to top Go down
125+1

125+1

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Nelson-appointed   Curtis Nelson-appointed EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 1:04 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
McCormick being named club captain isn't the best decision by the club. As a person ( I've met him a couple of times) he's a really nice fella and if he didn't have the 'history' he'd be the perfect club captain. But the past can't simply be whitewashed.

No the past cannot be whitewashed but its time people moved on.

Its different if you are the parents of the deceased, but even they have moved and no longer comment in The Shit (SUN) newspaper who were infatuated by McCormick at one time.

Its not tactless or bad for the club.

Its just another thing for people to moan about on here like they do with everything and anything.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Nelson-appointed   Curtis Nelson-appointed EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 2:08 pm

125+1 wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

Its different if you are the parents of the deceased, but even they have moved and no longer comment in The Shit (SUN) newspaper who were infatuated by McCormick at one time.

Its just another thing for people to moan about on here like they do with everything and anything.

sorry but someone convicted of causing death by drink driving of two children isnt club ambassador material to me no matter how pointless a title it maybe.

He maybe a very Good keeper and by all accounts is a nice guy who happend to make a dreadful mistake with terrible consequences and has showed total remorse for what ever since, served his time and reformed inside and by that alone he has earn't his second chance outside prison not against him having that right.
That doesnt mean however that what he did should be whitewashed and forgotten about like bbc staff of the 70's did for presenters and for the club to give him a role that puts him in the spotlight is not a good idea at all and will backfire at some point. As ejh said below this keep him out of the spotlight and let him concentrate on keeping it was working well then.

Last edited by Angry on Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:44 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : elaborating a point)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Nelson-appointed   Curtis Nelson-appointed EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 2:29 pm

Whilst I do not judge McCormick for that tragedy, I do agree that placing him in any captaincy role does neither Luke or the club any favours.

McCormick is better off left out the limelight, away from a senior position at the head of the club, and left to concentrate on his day job of catching footballs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Nelson-appointed   Curtis Nelson-appointed EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 6:35 pm

it begins

Pretty much a 50/50 article on the matter it has to be said unlike the sun's one im sure.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Nelson-appointed   Curtis Nelson-appointed EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 1:18 am

Angry wrote:
it begins

Pretty much a 50/50 article on the matter it has to be said unlike the sun's one im sure.

Such unnecessary media attention.

I'm sure Luke loves having this all dragged up again.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Nelson-appointed   Curtis Nelson-appointed EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 7:15 am

125+1 wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

No it isn't (though it gives you a chance to moan at the perceived moaners, so not all bad eh?)

It was and is a bad idea, precisely because it gives the tabloids a stick to hit us with.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Nelson-appointed   Curtis Nelson-appointed EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 10:15 am

125+1 wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

do you REALLY believe that ? Clueless & Doomed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Nelson-appointed   Curtis Nelson-appointed EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 10:47 am

ejh wrote:
Angry wrote:
it begins

Such unnecessary media attention.

I'm sure Luke loves having this all dragged up again.

The club put him in that spotlight knowing the backlash it could cause, The mirror at least reported on the story fairly not seen the sun's.

The poll on the site shows it being 50/50 for and against. I imagine someone(s) with previous for doing it has been busy voting in masses to boost the yes vote on there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Nelson-appointed   Curtis Nelson-appointed EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 3:52 pm

the racist daily mail had chimed in with a twitter laced version of the mirror's report

oddly enough the reporter of this article took a selfie of herself while driving which is circulating around twitter atm.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Nelson-appointed   Curtis Nelson-appointed EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 6:11 pm

Of course Luke could have turned the honour down. Must be completely comfortable with himself to say yes.

The club are obviously completely comfortable from being happy to re-sign him, the ludicrous and twonkish Only1Argyle only to happy to use the SuperLuke moniker in its crappy and puerile team line ups to asking him to be club captain.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Nelson-appointed   Curtis Nelson-appointed EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 7:06 pm

It's the club's own fault for re signing him in the first place, Goalkeeper issues have never been at the front of the playing squad's problems anyhow imho.
They knew full well that bringing him back would bring with it bad publicity issues, but for then to make him Club Captain deserves all the bad press that comes swinging they're way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Nelson-appointed   Curtis Nelson-appointed EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 7:47 pm

Punchdrunk wrote:
It's the club's own fault for re signing him in the first place, Goalkeeper issues have never been at the front of the playing squad's problems anyhow imho.
They knew full well that bringing him back would bring with it bad publicity issues, but for then to make him Club Captain deserves all the bad press that comes swinging they're way.

Some talk about him having this role as a second chance in life but he had that with his career and family. How much more does he warrant!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Nelson-appointed   Curtis Nelson-appointed EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 9:09 pm

Angry wrote:
Punchdrunk wrote:

Some talk about him having this role as a second chance in life but he had that with his career and family. How much more does he warrant!

Like I said mate ...an absolute howler to make him club captain.
Talk about painting a target on the club or what !!
Back to top Go down
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Nelson-appointed   Curtis Nelson-appointed EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 9:23 pm

Angry wrote:
Punchdrunk wrote:

"Some talk". You mean the woman who wrote the article? It's a rehashed news story from when he rejoined the club that the tabloids are releasing to fill the gaps in their gutter paper. "How much more does he warrant". Jesus. Are you dictating some moral limitations on what he is allowed to achieve in his career? Like you say, he's been fortunate enough to have a second chance in life; and his ability to be rehabilitated and regain freedom is that. Does he need to halt or stop that career if it suddenly becomes too good? Only 5 clean sheets allowed this season Luke, or else you're having too good a time. Promotion Luke? Oh no, you know you're not allowed that. FFS, he's back in the best job he knows and is free to excel as much as possible within it... Not like this is excelling, it's an internal role with a few extra responsibilities within the squad. He's not the public figurehead, that's Curtis and Hartley is vice to that. Talk about a feckin mountain out of a molehill.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Nelson-appointed   Curtis Nelson-appointed EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 9:34 pm

spowell92 wrote:
Angry wrote:
Punchdrunk wrote:

"Some talk". You mean the woman who wrote the article? It's a rehashed news story from when he rejoined the club that the tabloids are releasing to fill the gaps in their gutter paper. "How much more does he warrant". Jesus. Are you dictating some moral limitations on what he is allowed to achieve in his career? Like you say, he's been fortunate enough to have a second chance in life; and his ability to be rehabilitated and regain freedom is that. Does he need to halt or stop that career if it suddenly becomes too good? Only 5 clean sheets allowed this season Luke, or else you're having too good a time. Promotion Luke? Oh no, you know you're not allowed that. FFS, he's back in the best job he knows and is free to excel as much as possible within it... Not like this is excelling, it's an internal role with a few extra responsibilities within the squad. He's not the public figurehead, that's Curtis and Hartley is vice to that. Talk about a feckin mountain out of a molehill.

The incident in question is hardly a molehill is it Powelly?!!
Nobody is questioning his talent although the hysterical claims that you read on the farmyard about him being the best in the lower leagues are exaggerated to say the least.
Many fans were unhappy to see him back after what happened (including me), but to then see him made club captain has cheesed many off.
I don't think people are wrong for bringing it to public attention.

Last edited by Punchdrunk on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Curtis Nelson-appointed   Curtis Nelson-appointed Empty

Back to top Go down

Curtis Nelson-appointed
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next