HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Labour Party Manifesto Pledge

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Damon.Lenszner

Damon.Lenszner

Labour Party Manifesto Pledge Empty
PostSubject: Labour Party Manifesto Pledge   Labour Party Manifesto Pledge EmptyTue May 14, 2013 11:26 am

"The Tory Council has built on Central Park against the will of local residents. We will restate our commitment to protect Central Park as ‘Plymouth’s Green Lung’."

On another thread Graham reminded us of the actual Labour Party manifesto pledge that became the reason for 'no building on Cottage Field'. Ignoring Cottage Field for a moment, how can the HHP development (ice-rink, hotel, shops, restaurants, school, cinema) be justified in the words of the above pledge?

Posted here as a political rather than a football question.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Labour Party Manifesto Pledge   Labour Party Manifesto Pledge EmptyTue May 14, 2013 11:29 am

It's an interesting turn of phrase. I'm guessing that if local residents object to a 24/7 business being built in the park their concerns and objections will outweigh all others.
Then, though it's not entirely easy for me to follow, you have the wraparound road network that would according to poster Stuart_C require even more of the green lung of Central Park to be built upon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Labour Party Manifesto Pledge   Labour Party Manifesto Pledge EmptyTue May 14, 2013 11:58 am

Make no mistake, with all these desired new schools, cinemas, hotels, food, retail etc etc, the access road would be very busy all day, every day. We're not talking a motorists right to quietly slip into Victoria Park in Bath at 7am to park for the day by the petunias. Consequently, the developer will try anything to route the road right away from the proposed new private businesses.

What better plan then to route the noise and fumes pasteven more parts of the park rather than the new businesses. How selfish can you be ?
Quiet privatised parks, sunrises and views, nationalised litter, fumes and noise.

For anyone who knows their REAL history, this sort of rip off has been going on for centuries. For one example, just look into how, why, and when the railways have bobbed between private and public hands throughout their existence and at what price. Institutionalised duck shoot every couple of generations.
Back to top Go down
Flat_Track_Bully

Flat_Track_Bully

PostSubject: Re: Labour Party Manifesto Pledge   Labour Party Manifesto Pledge EmptyTue May 14, 2013 12:59 pm

Damon.Lenszner wrote:
"The Tory Council has built on Central Park against the will of local residents. We will restate our commitment to protect Central Park as ‘Plymouth’s Green Lung’."

On another thread Graham reminded us of the actual Labour Party manifesto pledge that became the reason for 'no building on Cottage Field'. Ignoring Cottage Field for a moment, how can the HHP development (ice-rink, hotel, shops, restaurants, school, cinema) be justified in the words of the above pledge?

Posted here as a political rather than a football question.

You're being niave if you expect a political party to stand by its election pledges. Anyway the pledge just says that they will 'restate our commitment', no actual firm promises, it just one of those wishy-washy phrases that people use when they have no actual intention of sticking to a principle, but want to sound like they do.

On a related point I believe the Tories have altered the planning laws to make it much harder for councils to refuse planning permission for these sorts of developments.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/

PostSubject: Re: Labour Party Manifesto Pledge   Labour Party Manifesto Pledge EmptyTue May 14, 2013 1:01 pm

wasnt it Tudor Evans that wanted the life centre?
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Labour Party Manifesto Pledge   Labour Party Manifesto Pledge EmptyTue May 14, 2013 3:35 pm

Evil rapist jailed for eight years for attacking teenager in Central Park

Would we get more incentient like this with all the late entertainment-taking place in a big open parkland.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Labour Party Manifesto Pledge   Labour Party Manifesto Pledge EmptyTue May 14, 2013 4:38 pm

Tgwu wrote:
Evil rapist jailed for eight years for attacking teenager in Central Park

Would we get more incentient like this with all the late entertainment-taking place in a big open parkland.

That's a frankly bizarre point to raise. Baffling.

The land belongs to Brent so technically, the PCC owned land isn't being built on. In addition, the Life Centre is smaller than the old Mayflower Centre and Pool so technically, there's more open space than there was before.

I would urge anyone with concerns to contact the Council - they will reply to you. It isn't a closed shop as some would have you believe. Add to that the concept of a co-operative council - that's the main thrust of all the manifesto pledges - the public are being urged to have a hand and a voice in running PCC.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Labour Party Manifesto Pledge   Labour Party Manifesto Pledge EmptyTue May 14, 2013 4:55 pm

hairy j wrote:
The land belongs to Brent so technically, the PCC owned land isn't being built on. In addition, the Life Centre is smaller than the old Mayflower Centre and Pool so technically, there's more open space than there was before.

I would urge anyone with concerns to contact the Council - they will reply to you. It isn't a closed shop as some would have you believe. Add to that the concept of a co-operative council - that's the main thrust of all the manifesto pledges - the public are being urged to have a hand and a voice in running PCC.

To be technically precise, a small part of PCC land is being built on. More importantly, land owned by PCC and leased to the club is being built on. That's where the school & retail units come into the equation.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Labour Party Manifesto Pledge   Labour Party Manifesto Pledge EmptyTue May 14, 2013 5:04 pm

hairy j wrote:
That's a frankly bizarre point to raise. Baffling.
Not necessarily Hairy.
I'm sure I don't have to tell someone as awesome as you that where there is a massive change of use, and especially where several new licensed premises are involved, it's a valid concern for a neighbourhood. I for one as a Central Park allotment tenant am rather concerned. Or have you not seen the change that has happened to Mutley Plain and North Hill since the Blairite licensed pavement culture failure resulted in more harm than good. I lived through the licensed explosion there and decided to move.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Labour Party Manifesto Pledge   Labour Party Manifesto Pledge EmptyTue May 14, 2013 6:46 pm

I live near Mutley and it has changed a lot. I'm not sure it's that bad - I never feel threatened walking through there at night. To suggest people are going to be raped due to a cinema being out there is frankly bonkers - the development isn't another Warner Village. But again, what that has to do with rape is beyond me.

And knecht, I agree with what you've posted and it's correct however, the space has increased with the Life Centre build - people assume it's the other way.

I'm still annoyed with the club that the stand is so small. I'll never change my mind - no matter what else they put there.
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Labour Party Manifesto Pledge   Labour Party Manifesto Pledge EmptyTue May 14, 2013 10:22 pm

A manifesto is simply an item of convenience used by a party when it wants to get elected.

Parties will fall back on it when they don't want to do something, and conveniently ignore it when it suits.

Am I getting cynical in my older years?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Labour Party Manifesto Pledge   Labour Party Manifesto Pledge Empty

Back to top Go down

Labour Party Manifesto Pledge
Page 1 of 1