Mapperley, darling
pepsipete
swampy
Mock Cuncher
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Argyle's greatest moment Empty
PostSubject: Argyle's greatest moment   Argyle's greatest moment EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 11:50 am

If asked I would probably have said it was the trip to Wembley but thinking about it that really wasn't the "greatest moment", it was just the best day out and it was after all just a third placed spot for promotion out of the lowest division. So I suppose it has to be the FA Cup semi at Villa Park but thinking about it again, I think the League Cup quarter final may have been more glorious back in the 70s when we gave a thrashing to several Division 1 clubs, or for the youngens, the Premier League.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Argyle's greatest moment   Argyle's greatest moment EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 11:50 am

The moment James Brent bought 'The Club Which Wouldnt Die' fore shore.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
swampy

PostSubject: Re: Argyle's greatest moment   Argyle's greatest moment EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 11:55 am

GOB wrote:

If asked I would probably have said it was the trip to Wembley but thinking about it that really wasn't the "greatest moment", it was just the best day out and it was after all just a third placed spot for promotion out of the lowest division. So I suppose it has to be the FA Cup semi at Villa Park but thinking about it again, I think the League Cup quarter final may have been more glorious back in the 70s when we gave a thrashing to several Division 1 clubs, or for the youngens, the Premier League.
Wasn't it the semi final we made in the 70's? Villa Park was the greatest occasion for me purely because we were just 90 minutes from THE Cup Final and the national exposure brought home the significance of the occasion, to be the first 3rd tier team to make an FA Cup final at Wembley. Yes Darlo at Wembley was a fantastic day out but always at the back of my mind was that the occasion was bigger than the match itself in importance.

Last edited by swampy on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: Argyle's greatest moment   Argyle's greatest moment EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 12:17 pm

The FA Cup win 1984 at West Bromwich. They paraded their new management team of Johnny Giles and Nobby Stiles and there was Argyle with Johnny Hore, won 1 ~ 0 with a Tynan goal, and never really looked like loosing.
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: Argyle's greatest moment   Argyle's greatest moment EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 1:35 pm

pepsipete wrote:
The FA Cup win 1984 at West Bromwich. They paraded their new management team of Johnny Giles and Nobby Stiles and there was Argyle with Johnny Hore, won 1 ~ 0 with a Tynan goal, and never really looked like loosing.

i enjoyed the wembley 96 day out, even though i got pisssed the night before and spent much of the train journey int shitter., but this -above- stands out for me too
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk
Han Solos Other Ship

Han Solos Other Ship

PostSubject: Re: Argyle's greatest moment   Argyle's greatest moment EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 1:36 pm

For those of us not over the hill yet gotta be the QPR game.

Also for me when we went top of the league after beating Wednesday away was a gr8 moment
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Argyle's greatest moment   Argyle's greatest moment EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 10:04 am

Difficult to pick out one,this is my personal top ten in no particular order;

1.Smashing Bristol City 4-0 to gain promotion in 1985-86

2.QPR game and Triggers goal in 2004

3.Fantastic away wins and days out against WBA and Derby in the cup run to the semi's [don't count the semi itself,because we lost]

4.The best game of the run to the league cup semi final for me was the 4-0 hiding dished out to Pompey in the second round,didn't see the away wins,must have been brilliant to have been at those games though

5.Colchester at home in the play off semis under Warnock,electric atmosphere,much better than Wembley [too much tension and a crap game] IMHO.

6.Winning at Bristol City in 2008 for the first time in decades-Roooooooooooory!

7.Paul Mariner's debut against Rochdale-5-0 win and you just knew that something special had been started-i would include his entire career at Argyle as a highlight

8.5 up in 17 minutes against Chesterfield under Sturrock

9.Winning 3-2 at Sunderland after being a goal down in 30 seconds-Chadders!

10.Brilliant atmosphere and classic breakaway goal by Sinclair against Derby in the 5th round of the cup under Holloway-also Sinclairs goal at Barnet that year.

Doesn't really answer the original question [i think the semi final run would have to be the best bearing in mind the importance of the competition at national level] but what the hell,need something to cheer us up in these grim times.
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: Argyle's greatest moment   Argyle's greatest moment EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 10:34 am

Was there for all your top ten and agree with them, was also at QPR for a 3-0 win in the league cup run, brilliant but somebody threw my special Argyle hat into the river.
Back to top Go down
Han Solos Other Ship

Han Solos Other Ship

PostSubject: Re: Argyle's greatest moment   Argyle's greatest moment EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 11:03 am

Seeing old Nialls face after we beat Sunderland away was brilliant. He honestly expected them to hammer us 10-0 "Me boys 'ul give em a roight hoidin to be sure!"

lol
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: Argyle's greatest moment   Argyle's greatest moment EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 12:37 pm

Come on lads, who do you think you are fooling ?

Be honest, one of your dog lucky wins over the mighty ECFC must be your No.1.

I see mention of a run out at Wemberlee aginst the mighty Darlo, purleeze, you have had a couple of 3rd Div championships and some great cup wins including a semi final, a run about agin Darlo wouldn't even come close unless we are talking day trippers here.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Argyle's greatest moment   Argyle's greatest moment EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 12:48 pm

OK , it was going to Watford [nearest club to Tring along with Luton] for league matches when we had Mariner & Rafferty up front........................ and 'knowing' we were going to win . A rare feeling following Argo away from home.

Typically, we gave him to Ipswich for a crocked Peddelty, a hopeless Austin and enough cash to feed the useless board prawn sandwiches for the rest of the season.

Some things never seem to change at Gnome Park.................. in fact, they get worse Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Tringreen on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle's greatest moment   Argyle's greatest moment EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 1:58 pm

I think that the two Championships have to be the top ones for me because I followed them with my boys, sharing those moments with them gave them extra meaning. The City game in the late eighties was a real good one and the WBA game.
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: Argyle's greatest moment   Argyle's greatest moment EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 3:51 pm

the divison 2 season christ that had some ups and downs,
Back to top Go down
GraveDigger

GraveDigger

PostSubject: Re: Argyle's greatest moment   Argyle's greatest moment EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 6:45 pm

Derby away in the quarter final replay, won 1-0 at the old Baseball Ground, great night and atmosphere. Also Ian Stonebridges last minute goal against Exeter to make it 3-2, with Buster Phillips crossing the ball, class.
Back to top Go down
Lost_In_France

PostSubject: Re: Argyle's greatest moment   Argyle's greatest moment EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 7:20 pm

Argyle's greatest moment? When Ian Newell is removed from the director's box.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Argyle's greatest moment   Argyle's greatest moment EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 7:23 pm

The 1983/84 FA Cup Semi-Final,1985/86 promotion winning side (spanking Bristol City at home in front of thousands),the two seasons where Argyle finished as Champions,what happy days.....

Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: Argyle's greatest moment   Argyle's greatest moment EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 10:46 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

this has got to be up there Laughing
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: Argyle's greatest moment   Argyle's greatest moment EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 10:48 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or this
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle's greatest moment   Argyle's greatest moment EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 9:03 am

I've been going since 86. For me it was beating Man City in 87/88 at home 3-2. We were 2-0 down at half time and City were one of the favourites to go up that year and they beat Huddersfield 10-1 the same season. We won 3-2 in the end. Man City filled the away end with fans and inflatable bananas - as a then 11 year old, it was the best game I'd ever seen.

Another one was the game where Chadwick scored for Everton against us in the cup. I was in Prague with my ex and we watched it wearing Argyle kits in a pub - we got free drinks all night bought for us from a load of Evertonians on a stag weekend.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Argyle's greatest moment   Argyle's greatest moment EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 9:13 am

hairy j wrote:
I've been going since 86. For me it was beating Man City in 87/88 at home 3-2. We were 2-0 down at half time and City were one of the favourites to go up that year and they beat Huddersfield 10-1 the same season. We won 3-2 in the end. Man City filled the away end with fans and inflatable bananas - as a then 11 year old, it was the best game I'd ever seen.

Another one was the game where Chadwick scored for Everton against us in the cup. I was in Prague with my ex and we watched it wearing Argyle kits in a pub - we got free drinks all night bought for us from a load of Evertonians on a stag weekend.

You and your ex took your argyle kit to Prague? Full kit? Please say yes. Hairy J - FKW.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle's greatest moment   Argyle's greatest moment EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 9:16 am

Just the shirts. I last owned a full kit when I was 10. Sorry to disappoint you. It was also -5 over there at the time so shorts wouldn't have been a great idea.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Argyle's greatest moment   Argyle's greatest moment EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 9:18 am

No sorry, I'm not having it. I've just amended the link.

Who's your Prem team? Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle's greatest moment   Argyle's greatest moment EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 12:10 pm

Football fans who support their local side but have a 'premier league' team are wank splats.
Back to top Go down
Han Solos Other Ship

Han Solos Other Ship

PostSubject: Re: Argyle's greatest moment   Argyle's greatest moment EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 1:04 pm

That Mickey goal amirite in thinking it wouldn't have counted if it didn't hit the keeper?
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Argyle's greatest moment   Argyle's greatest moment EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 1:13 pm

Han Solos Other Ship wrote:
That Mickey goal amirite in thinking it wouldn't have counted if it didn't hit the keeper?

Yep,the keeper couldn't have known the laws,if he left the ball the goal would have not stood.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Argyle's greatest moment   Argyle's greatest moment Empty

Back to top Go down

Argyle's greatest moment
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next