+2
Freathy
Elias
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Elias

Elias

Just the ghosts of Saturday Empty
PostSubject: Just the ghosts of Saturday   Just the ghosts of Saturday EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 9:38 am

Was listening to the track 'Ghosts of Saturday' sung by an argyle fan in 2001.

He refers to Home Park being a 'football theme park' where football was once played.
How apt it is 11 years on.

Who'd have thought it ?

Tommy Tynan, Jumbo Jack, Mariner & Rafferty, & Sammy Black, they are all gone & there are never coming back'.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just the ghosts of Saturday   Just the ghosts of Saturday EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 9:50 am

Lord Aviva wrote:
Was listening to the track 'Ghosts of Saturday' sung by an argyle fan in 2001.

He refers to Home Park being a 'football theme park' where football was once played.
How apt it is 11 years on.

Who'd have thought it ?

Tommy Tynan, Jumbo Jack, Mariner & Rafferty, & Sammy Black, they are all gone & there are never coming back'.

That song was written and performed by Tyhee Slim, whose occasional musings on pasoti were notable for their clarity and consistency in describing the failings of successive Boards in haveing any ambition. He was particular scathing in describing why things will never change. He's one of the few pasoti posters whose thought I would seek out and read whenever I saw that he'd posted something; it's a pity that he's not more prolific, and I'd love to see him contributing on here, too.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Just the ghosts of Saturday   Just the ghosts of Saturday EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 9:55 am

I will never forget Mansfield away in 2001 when his band were playing in a pub near the ground, mansfield fans couldnt believe their eyes, pub packed by an argyle fans band & rammed with argyle fans------in their home pub.

SUPERB!

Havent seen him at a game since 2010 at Hilsboro', probably like 000's of other exiles in recent years found something better to do..........
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Just the ghosts of Saturday   Just the ghosts of Saturday EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 10:04 am

Lord Aviva wrote:
I will never forget Mansfield away in 2001 when his band were playing in a pub near the ground, mansfield fans couldnt believe their eyes, pub packed by an argyle fans band & rammed with argyle fans------in their home pub.

SUPERB!

Havent seen him at a game since 2010 at Hilsboro', probably like 000's of other exiles in recent years found something better to do..........

I was there! It was the first game of the 2001/2 season back in in Div 2/L1. I though the band were called Jam Roll?? or something? The outnumbered Mansfield fans in the pub were singing "you're supposed to be away!"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just the ghosts of Saturday   Just the ghosts of Saturday EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 10:08 am

Freathy wrote:
Lord Aviva wrote:

SUPERB!

I was there! It was the first game of the 2001/2 season back in in Div 2/L1. I though the band were called Jam Roll?? or something? The outnumbered Mansfield fans in the pub were singing "you're supposed to be away!"

Jelly Roll Jackson and the Boogie Kings iirc. They played some gigs in Plymouth during the last days of the Macauley Empire, as part of the protests against Dan the Man.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Just the ghosts of Saturday   Just the ghosts of Saturday EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 10:39 am

I know he is a big Tom Waits fan, from the days when PMs were still private on the faaaaarm.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just the ghosts of Saturday   Just the ghosts of Saturday EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 12:05 pm

Andy_Symons wrote:
Freathy wrote:
Lord Aviva wrote:

SUPERB!

Jelly Roll Jackson and the Boogie Kings iirc. They played some gigs in Plymouth during the last days of the Macauley Empire, as part of the protests against Dan the Man.

Not sure if this is correct but didn't they have regular gig at The George, Roborough? Not my sort of sound but anyone know any internet links? cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just the ghosts of Saturday   Just the ghosts of Saturday EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 12:31 pm

Think his name is Neil Jenkins

Had a few pints and a chat in the late 90,s early 2000,s Good lad so he is. Think he used to work for radio Nottingham or whatever the local radio station is in that area
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just the ghosts of Saturday   Just the ghosts of Saturday EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 4:57 pm

Yes, that's the fella. A good mate, with a brilliant sense of humour. He - and the rest of the band, although he's now in a different band - lives in Mansfield, hence the 2001 gig (during which I got up and sang with them, but only in the chorus).

I think he's pretty much had it with football now, or at least with Argo.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Just the ghosts of Saturday   Just the ghosts of Saturday EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 5:38 pm

Peggy wrote:
Yes, that's the fella. A good mate, with a brilliant sense of humour. He - and the rest of the band, although he's now in a different band - lives in Mansfield, hence the 2001 gig (during which I got up and sang with them, but only in the chorus).

He still posts on PASOTI but nearly always on terraces,not the main board.He certainly understood the Argyle syndrome,one of my favourite posters.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Just the ghosts of Saturday   Just the ghosts of Saturday EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 6:03 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Peggy wrote:

He still posts on PASOTI but nearly always on terraces,not the main board.He certainly understood the Argyle syndrome,one of my favourite posters.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And if you peruse the posts following Slim's heartfelt and spot on assessment, you will see that people like him and most of us are in a minority.

Why actually study the history and 'think', when you can blame 'Hollowords' and paint a mural ffs ! ?
Back to top Go down
Daz Evans

Daz Evans

PostSubject: Re: Just the ghosts of Saturday   Just the ghosts of Saturday EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 6:18 pm

Found that song and ballad of a fat man by accident on my iPod the other day and was just thinking how apt they are for the Argyle of now! Also wondered if anyone else would remember this song...obviously a yes!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just the ghosts of Saturday   Just the ghosts of Saturday EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 11:09 pm

He was back and forth with me on PM a week or so ago - you'll be pleased to hear that he's doing fine and embarking on a degree course at Nottingham Uni next year.

His cogent analysis of the Argyle Malaise on PASOTI back in the Sturrock hey-day was both lucid and correct - he'd been there when the promise of the Waiters team was frittered away, when the Board failed to build on what had been achieved on the pitch.

Ten years ago, I respected the value of his experience when he compared the Sturrock rise to the Waiters era and the risks of a repeat of that failure, but I expected us to do a better job this time around. But we didn't.

That learning experience frames my current opinion on things - hence my recent postings on the harsh realities of our position, both now and historically.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just the ghosts of Saturday   Just the ghosts of Saturday EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 11:29 pm

I was at that Mansfield away game.

It was the first time keepers couldn't pick up back passes, which is about as much as I can remember about the v dreary game.

Mansfields a hell hole and was a stark reminder for me how low we had fallen back then, but its nowhere near the level of shit we find ourselves in now.

Did I say Mansfield's a shithole?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just the ghosts of Saturday   Just the ghosts of Saturday EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 6:58 am

Being thankful that we have a club to support aside this malaise is more alive and kicking than it ever has been. At least with previous regimes they waited until we were in a good position in the old league two before bottling it, nowadays Brent thinks that mid table in this dog shit league is too far too fast.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just the ghosts of Saturday   Just the ghosts of Saturday Empty

Back to top Go down

Just the ghosts of Saturday
Page 1 of 1