PostSubject: Re: David Norris   David Norris EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 7:08 pm

Quote :
The exit of Norris means Portsmouth now have six players

lol!

They'll still wallop us in the league cup though
Back to top Go down

David Norris Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Norris   David Norris EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 7:32 pm

It sems to me that the precedent of the Argyle ground breaking kerfuffle and eventual 'unplanned' employee wage deferment is having it's effect on Portsmouth employees. They're off, as quick as they can ... no future in being vulnerable to the new admin culture wher employees pay the biggest price, and becoming part of Cameron's employer friendly Big Society, if you have the marketability to jump to another boat.

I haven't followed this latest part of Pompey's debacle, but are they going to do a Rangers ?
All I know is there are clubs ( sorry, owners ) that do the admin thing, and some are weighed down by it all for years, like Wednesday and us, and some aren't, like Southampton.
It isn't as simple as saying it's all about finding a fake sheik, it's about the deal done at source, at the time, and it's all about the relationship between the administrators, the previous owners, and new owners, to which, the club's employees and fans are not invited.
The initial Portsmouth deal suggested they would do an Argyle/wednesday, rather than a Southampton. I guess justice is all about how marketable you are in London, and that is the only thing moneyed people are interested in ...... nothing else whatsoever. They'll be down with us shortly ... nothing attractive about a couple of old Naval ports mentioned in a few old movies, with a base population to curdle your milk in 5 minutes.
Back to top Go down

David Norris Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Norris   David Norris EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 7:40 pm

Met a die hard Pompey fan at the weekend . He thinks they are finished . its going to happen to a big Club sooner rather than later .
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

David Norris Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Norris   David Norris EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 7:49 pm

So Portsmouth aren't going to be that club then! Very Happy

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

David Norris Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Norris   David Norris EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 7:55 pm

It certainly seems that way GG.
For years, the money game made it possible for overspending businessmen gambling on the Premiership millions, to jump ship, and there was monetary confidence enough for a new gambler to take over, try his hand and pay back the previous gambler, if not the poor old local traders.
Now that's all gone, you're right GG, one of these clubs are going. Mind you, does it matter ? Pompey have a support base similar to ours, if now a bit better due to recent successes under 'Arry. Looking at our no mans' land thing staring us in the face, I would take a new club anyday, say three divisions down, with a totally new start. The fans will still be there, just as they are for Wimbledon. I really believe it's what we should have done. The small creditors get nothing in these processes, I believe the big people should have got nothing. I still feel dirty about it all, and am now not kindly disposed to this latest property man who is no better than the last lot, trying his hand at big profit on the back of what is in essence just a Plymouth community sports club.
Back to top Go down

David Norris Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Norris   David Norris EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 8:14 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is the guy I,m worried about ...... NOT !
Back to top Go down

David Norris Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Norris   David Norris EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 8:14 pm

Tal Ben Haim is on £36k a week and has an image rights deal with the club reported to be near £1.6m.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

David Norris Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Norris   David Norris EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 8:31 pm

That Kanu bloke will be there until the end.They will have to winkle that b*gger out.Maybe Argyle will put in a cheeky bid?
Back to top Go down

David Norris Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Norris   David Norris EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 8:39 pm

It'll be like trying to dethrone the talentless Windsors or Gadafis, used to a gig they couldn't get anywhere else.
Back to top Go down

David Norris Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Norris   David Norris EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 8:43 pm

Penz...it has to be said so I'll say it...the Windsors do like a gig or two.
Back to top Go down

David Norris Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Norris   David Norris EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 9:33 pm

hairy j wrote:
Tal Ben Haim is on £36k a week and has an image rights deal with the club reported to be near £1.6m.

Wow that is serious money! I just read a little about him and he signed a 4 year contract on those wages just as Portsmouth first went into liquidation. This is the danger of signing someone on a long contract if you are one of the smaller fish in the Premier League.

I would try signing players on performance related contracts which meant a higher wage in one league, which would drop if the club gets relegated, and rises again if they are promoted. If the player won't sign on those terms feck em, not really team players are they? £36k a week while Pompey are on the verge of folding and currently planning for life in League 1, where his agent has already categorically stated he won't play anyway.
Back to top Go down

David Norris Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Norris   David Norris EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 9:53 pm

Greenjock wrote:
hairy j wrote:

Wow that is serious money! I just read a little about him and he signed a 4 year contract on those wages just as Portsmouth first went into liquidation. This is the danger of signing someone on a long contract if you are one of the smaller fish in the Premier League.

I would try signing players on performance related contracts which meant a higher wage in one league, which would drop if the club gets relegated, and rises again if they are promoted. If the player won't sign on those terms feck em, not really team players are they? £36k a week while Pompey are on the verge of folding and currently planning for life in League 1, where his agent has already categorically stated he won't play anyway.

£1.872m a year. A total outlay of £7.488m over those 4 years not including any bonuses or the hilarious loyalty bonus. Most players will get a signing on fee too and they tend to be around 6 months pay so you could even add on another £1m to that. He would have probably cost the club close to £10m if you add his alleged image rights deal to that over 4 years. He won't get it all though as they're going broke if he doesn't waive all that.

Kanu's owed £3m in wages too and Norris was also named as one of their remaining high earners. I'd expect him to have been on £15,000 a week. Liam Lawrence was signed as was Dave Kitson and both were Premier LEague players at one point. The figures are mind boggling for a League 1 club.

Tal Ben Haim, £10m over 4 years and he's made 55 appearances for the club so far. If he was paid off in full (he won't be), he's got £180,000 a game. He's not exactly Messi is he either?

Back to top Go down

David Norris Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Norris   David Norris EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 9:57 pm

Best for all if the club went to the wall then.They'll return.and Argyle could progress into the second round of the league cup,not that I would be happy if the match didn't go ahead.
Back to top Go down

David Norris Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Norris   David Norris EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 10:03 pm

Good signing for Leeds, he'll do well there.
Back to top Go down

David Norris Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Norris   David Norris EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 10:04 pm

oddball wrote:
Penz...it has to be said so I'll say it...the Windsors do like a gig or two.

And one thing's for certain ... they'll make darn sure someone else is rowing it.
Back to top Go down

David Norris Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Norris   David Norris EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 10:10 pm

hairy j wrote:
Greenjock wrote:
hairy j wrote:

£1.872m a year. A total outlay of £7.488m over those 4 years not including any bonuses or the hilarious loyalty bonus. Most players will get a signing on fee too and they tend to be around 6 months pay so you could even add on another £1m to that. He would have probably cost the club close to £10m if you add his alleged image rights deal to that over 4 years. He won't get it all though as they're going broke if he doesn't waive all that.

Kanu's owed £3m in wages too and Norris was also named as one of their remaining high earners. I'd expect him to have been on £15,000 a week. Liam Lawrence was signed as was Dave Kitson and both were Premier LEague players at one point. The figures are mind boggling for a League 1 club.

Tal Ben Haim, £10m over 4 years and he's made 55 appearances for the club so far. If he was paid off in full (he won't be), he's got £180,000 a game. He's not exactly Messi is he either?

But this is where we get into dodgy areas. For instance, it was a well known money trick when South Africa was headed toward the end of it's disgusting regime and moneyed people wanted to hightail it out of there with all their ill gottens, and beat the capital export embargo, they invented movies with budgets of millions employing average to no hoper actotrs on huge galactic salaries. Guess what happened when said emigres met up with said actors' agents in New York ?
Jeez knows what has been going on in the traditional brown envelope game of pro football over the last 20 years since the Premiership .... I hate to think.
Back to top Go down

David Norris Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Norris   David Norris EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 10:44 pm

Penz wrote:
hairy j wrote:
Greenjock wrote:
hairy j wrote:

But this is where we get into dodgy areas. For instance, it was a well known money trick when South Africa was headed toward the end of it's disgusting regime and moneyed people wanted to hightail it out of there with all their ill gottens, and beat the capital export embargo, they invented movies with budgets of millions employing average to no hoper actotrs on huge galactic salaries. Guess what happened when said emigres met up with said actors' agents in New York ?
Jeez knows what has been going on in the traditional brown envelope game of pro football over the last 20 years since the Premiership .... I hate to think.

Some staggering figures and like Penz alludes to, what else goes on unaccounted for in this multi-billion pound business? Tapping up is a given, Rangers wages situation is hardly likely to have been unique and how much would it cost to ensure a manager and/or a couple of important players/ a referee is on board a plan to even guarantee one single goal which could earn someone millions, and how much could it affect a football club over the course of the season that one solitary goal?

Whatever the price for a Premier League goal to be guaranteed before kick-off, it would take such a lesser amount in say League 2 to make a club go out of business, so that a far eastern gang can make a no risk £10 million or so. Anytime goalscorer on a midfielder for instance would probably be around 3 or 4-1 odds. If you offer an ageing League 2 centre back £50k to deliberately handle the ball in the area, and the goalkeeper £20k to make a pathetic attempt at saving the penalty, how much of a slpash would that make on a weekend of football where say United played Liverpool?

That guaranteed goal could promote or relegate a club at the end of the season, and that isn't far fetched.
Back to top Go down

David Norris Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Norris   David Norris EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 6:01 am

That's totally off topic Jock but if you're interested in stuff like that, read this book.
There's a section covering the time floodlights were going out and it also covers Leeds Utd at the time of their administration. It's a little bit tabloid with some of the kiss and tell stories - it features Rooney's expose when he was visiting prostitutes - but it's interesting to see how close to crime and gangsters some of our clubs are.
Back to top Go down

David Norris Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Norris   David Norris EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 6:52 am

hairy j wrote:
That's totally off topic Jock but if you're interested in stuff like that, read this book.
There's a section covering the time floodlights were going out and it also covers Leeds Utd at the time of their administration. It's a little bit tabloid with some of the kiss and tell stories - it features Rooney's expose when he was visiting prostitutes - but it's interesting to see how close to crime and gangsters some of our clubs are.

Thanks Hairy. I did meander from the topic I suppose, ATD tends to do that to you, but it was sort of linked to Penz's comment about dodgy brown envelopes and football, in a long lost cousin kind of way scratch

I'll have a look at the book as I like a good old fashioned bit of scandal, like the theory about Venkys and Blackburn, where it has been claimed that they do not really own Blackburn, and are just figureheads for Jerome Anderson who is a Glaswegian agent, and long time friend of Steve Kean who it is said also owns a stake in the club, and they are systematically syphoning off millions of pounds from the club, and will continue to do so with the parachute payments they are due from being relegated.

I couldn't find the piece that was written on it all by a Blackburn fan, but this article touches on it and the strange way that Jerome Anderson and Steve Kean seem to be able to do as they please and Kean still keeps his lucrative job even though Blackburn were awful and relegated without putting up much of a fight, and Anderson makes a packet out of signing barely used players, including his own son!

Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

David Norris Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Norris   David Norris EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 7:04 am

greengenes wrote:

The blokes a complete loon, but I tell you what, he's got balls. Back when Wembley was being developed England played Macedonia at St Marys Stadium in a Euro qualifier. He was in the next block over from us, resplendent in all his Pompey regalia, including that hat and his f*cking bell. He was getting pushed shoved and getting sly little digs from pretty much all the people around him for most of the match. The stewards were all obviously local S'ton fans too 'cos they just let it happen. He basically took it all, didn't react, and just carried on ringing his bell. I hate Portsmouth with a passion, but I felt sorry for him that night.

And England were shit.
Back to top Go down

David Norris Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Norris   David Norris EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 7:13 am

Czarcasm wrote:
greengenes wrote:

The blokes a complete loon, but I tell you what, he's got balls. Back when Wembley was being developed England played Macedonia at St Marys Stadium in a Euro qualifier. He was in the next block over from us, resplendent in all his Pompey regalia, including that hat and his f*cking bell. He was getting pushed shoved and getting sly little digs from pretty much all the people around him for most of the match. The stewards were all obviously local S'ton fans too 'cos they just let it happen. He basically took it all, didn't react, and just carried on ringing his bell. I hate Portsmouth with a passion, but I felt sorry for him that night.

And England were shit.

At least he's a character I suppose. Not many left in these sanitised times and it's a wonder he hasn't had his bell confiscated on Health and Safety grounds by now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

David Norris Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Norris   David Norris Empty

Back to top Go down

David Norris
Page 1 of 1