downthetrack
Tringreen
Mock Cuncher
Nick
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage

Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 3 EmptyThu May 17, 2012 7:49 pm

You can use the review for caught out as well. If there is a faint nick and the keeper catches it, sometimes they use the stump mic to see if it picks up any sound. When a spinner is on and there are loads of fielders around the batsman, quite often they appeal for caught when it looks like it has come off the pad.

I think it's how football should go. Wouldn't need to take as long as reviewing a wicket, but just for if the ball is over the line and maybe offsides. Would prevent all the crap decisions we've seen lately and I don't think it would slow the game down that much.

It was about 250-9 which is pretty good really, but the ball was swinging a lot so maybe about 50 more than it should've been. Swann dropped a sitter that should've got Chanderpaul out quite early and he's now the number 1 ranked batsman in the world and was about 80 odd not out at the end. If he can keep the strike tomorrow as much as possible, he can hang around for hours so hopefully they get the last wicket first thing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 3 EmptySun May 27, 2012 5:42 pm

I have a confession to make.

I have just been out in the field and played a very enjoyable game of cricket with Joe.
Back to top Go down
Nick

Nick

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 3 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 8:17 am

Cerbera wrote:

I have just been out in the field and played a very enjoyable game of cricket with Joe.

Get yourself to Chippenham on Saturday. We're having an inter-club friendly and will probably be short of the full 22!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 3 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 8:24 am

There's a bit of difference throwing a tennis ball (albeit a red one) underarm to an eight year old holding the appropriately sized bat; and donning full whites and walking out like Sir Donald Bradman!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 3 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 8:34 am

Cerbera wrote:

Right, who are you and what have you done with Cerbera? Joe will suss you out in no time as soon as you forget his chocolate cake.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 3 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 9:41 am

Cerbera wrote:
There's a bit of difference throwing a tennis ball (albeit a red one) underarm to an eight year old holding the appropriately sized bat; and donning full whites and walking out like Sir Donald Bradman!!

You need to bowl a heavy ball,back of a length,with reverse inswing,which grips the surface then gets big on the batsman,preferably in the corridor of uncertainty,bringing the slips into play,bowled with a slower ball action,finding the right areas with the correct execution of plans and delivered at express,throat ball pace before you can call yourself a true cricketer.
Back to top Go down
Nick

Nick

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 3 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 10:09 am

Greenskin wrote:
Cerbera wrote:

You need to bowl a heavy ball,back of a length,with reverse inswing,which grips the surface then gets big on the batsman,preferably in the corridor of uncertainty,bringing the slips into play,bowled with a slower ball action,finding the right areas with the correct execution of plans and delivered at express,throat ball pace before you can call yourself a true cricketer.

Have you been watching me play, Greenskin? lol!
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 3 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 10:18 am

Nick wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Cerbera wrote:

Have you been watching me play, Greenskin? lol!

Afraid not,Nick.I was just describing my own stock-in-trade delivery.Funnily enough though,it always seemed to send the wicket keeper scrambling a couple of yards down the leg side.He couldn't read it properly you see,had him proper confoozed,it did.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 3 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 10:49 am

Greenskin wrote:
Cerbera wrote:

I've put that through Google translate and I'm still no further forward. I know it looks like English, but I'm not sure.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 3 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 3:54 pm

I was always a good fielder who could bowl a bit, and bat a bit less.

I'd imagine I'm not even a good fielder any more.

Anyone watching the Test? Easy stuff, but Strauss is looking good this summer (mind, if it was so easy why hasn't anyone else got 2 centuries?).
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 3 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 4:18 pm

Mock Cuncher wrote:

Anyone watching the Test? Easy stuff, but Strauss is looking good this summer (mind, if it was so easy why hasn't anyone else got 2 centuries?).

Mock puts the mock on,Strauss out just as i read this post.This test was essentially decided in the last session of yesterdays play,the West Indies must uncover a couple of decent top order batsmen [Gayle and Sarwan?]-if the do,i think they could be genuinely competitive again,especially if the nonsense with the IPL is sorted out-Narine and Bravo senior could also have made a difference in this series.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 3 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 4:20 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Cerbera wrote:

My Granny could've hit that wi' a stick o' rhubarb.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 3 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 5:03 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Mock Cuncher wrote:

Mock puts the mock on,Strauss out just as i read this post.This test was essentially decided in the last session of yesterdays play,the West Indies must uncover a couple of decent top order batsmen [Gayle and Sarwan?]-if the do,i think they could be genuinely competitive again,especially if the nonsense with the IPL is sorted out-Narine and Bravo senior could also have made a difference in this series.

I'm not sure Gayle could even play test cricket anymore. He wouldn't know how to defend or play for a draw, not that he was ever that defensive.

It's a shame for the rest of their test team who fight for their places instead of chasing big bucks in the IPL, that he only has to say the word and he would walk straight back into their team. He's making a fortune in the IPL but Pietersen played some games before returning in time for the tests. I would tell Gayle to do one and pick some talented youngsters who want to play for the Windies.

Not sure why Sarwan isn't playing, when he's over here playing county cricket anyway? He would make a difference to their batting. They're definitely improving after years of shit, but it must be sickening for their older fans after years of Sobers, Clive Lloyd, Viv Richards, Greenidge, Haynes and all the great fast bowlers.

Since Lara, Walsh and Ambrose retired they have been awful.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 3 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 6:44 am

The difference is Jock, that England contracts are worth a lot of money compared to those of the West Indies.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 3 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 7:00 am

Tringreen wrote:
The difference is Jock, that England contracts are worth a lot of money compared to those of the West Indies.

That's where being proud of representing your county comes in. The IPL throw money around like confetti to retired superstars so play for your country for a few years and then cash in when International cricket gets a bit too much. I'm a traditionalist and I like to see a bit of loyalty coming before money, but that's a rarity these days.

The great Windies team of the late 70's and early 80's were offered a kings ransom to play in South Africa, and I think only Colin Croft of any note took the dollar, and his International career was over. He had taken 125 wickets in just 27 test matches, so would have gone on to be one of the highest wicket takers in test history at the time. Luckily for the Windies they had Holding, Marshall, Roberts and Garner anyway, so he wasn't really missed. If these guys and Viv Richards had also taken the money route the great Windies team of the time wouldn't have happened.

If you haven't seen it already, the film Fire in Babylon is fascinating.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 3 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 8:32 am

Greenjock wrote:
Tringreen wrote:

That's where being proud of representing your county comes in. The IPL throw money around like confetti to retired superstars so play for your country for a few years and then cash in when International cricket gets a bit too much. I'm a traditionalist and I like to see a bit of loyalty coming before money, but that's a rarity these days.

The great Windies team of the late 70's and early 80's were offered a kings ransom to play in South Africa, and I think only Colin Croft of any note took the dollar, and his International career was over. He had taken 125 wickets in just 27 test matches, so would have gone on to be one of the highest wicket takers in test history at the time. Luckily for the Windies they had Holding, Marshall, Roberts and Garner anyway, so he wasn't really missed. If these guys and Viv Richards had also taken the money route the great Windies team of the time wouldn't have happened.

True enough about South Africa but Richards,Holding,Roberts,Greenidge etc took the Packer option though, Jock.Not that they were the only test side to be decimated for a couple of years-cricketers in all countries were not that well paid at the time-but they took the money nonetheless.I always get the feeling that Holding is a bit reticent when he talks aboout Gayle and the other WI players who chose the IPL-he hasn't really got a leg to stand on.Talking of which;

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 3 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 9:41 am

Greenskin wrote:
Greenjock wrote:
Tringreen wrote:

True enough about South Africa but Richards,Holding,Roberts,Greenidge etc took the Packer option though, Jock.Not that they were the only test side to be decimated for a couple of years-cricketers in all countries were not that well paid at the time-but they took the money nonetheless.I always get the feeling that Holding is a bit reticent when he talks aboout Gayle and the other WI players who chose the IPL-he hasn't really got a leg to stand on.Talking of which;

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That's brilliant. Not out lol. Yeah I glossed over the Packer circus there, but almost everyone decent joined up. The Fire in Babylon film explains it really well. Once a few star names went it opened the floodgates and they all signed up.

I wasn't aware how bad the racism they faced in Australia was until I saw the film. It was common place to have bananas thrown at them and unbelievable comments aimed at them, and that was just from Dennis Lillee Razz

Croft was far worse though actually playing in South Africa during apartheid. Unforgivable really. At the time they weren't well paid and Viv Richards was literally offered millions to go over and play but he turned it down.

Fantastic soundtrack as well if you like reggae.

Do you remember an all-rounder challenge tournament on tv? Botham, Hadlee, Kapil Dev, Imran Khan and w couple of others? They had a certain amount of overs batting and lost runs each time they got out, and then they bowled a few overs and scored points for each wicket. It must have been early 80's and I think it was on the ITV show with Dickie Davis. Good fun to watch as there were some amazing all-rounders all playing at that time.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 3 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 5:15 pm

I was never any good at cricket. My bowling and batting were terrible. I couldn't hit a donkey's ar*e with a banjo!

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 3:19 pm

Greenjock wrote:
Nick Compton of Somerset is in cracking form so far this season. He's scored 99 and 133 in the two County Championship matches played so far, and today is currently 92 not out against Nottinghamshire.

Last season he scored over 1000 runs in the County Championship, averaging over 50, but was overshadowed by Marcus Trescothick's amazing season. With Andrew Strauss struggling for form, Englands top order could do with a shake-up. Compton is a number 3 batsman really so I can't see him replacing Strauss, but if Ian Bell doesn't score runs early this season I would give him a go.

He's another South African born cricketer, but he has been in England for years now, and is the Grandson of none other than Dennis Compton.

I also think this is Somerset's year, as they have been knocking on the door in recent seasons, but the addition of Philander as their overseas player should be just what they need to win the title. I also think that they will do well in the one day competitions, especially the 20/20 which they won a couple of years ago and were runners up last year. For the 20/20 competition they have also recruited Chris Gayle who is probably the most explosive batsman in the world. They already have a brilliant batting line-up, although Trescothick hobbled off injured yesterday, but with Gayle, who's also a tidy spin bowler, they should win this year and I will be going to see a few games. Haven't been for a couple of years now but it's a cracking day out at Taunton drinking in the sun, and my suggestion for a out of season freak meet.

Real shame that due to the bad weather yesterday in Worcester, that Compton missed out on being the first man to score 1,000 first class runs before the end of May. Typically he's now passed the milestone and is currently 72 not out, but of course it's 1st June.

Still he's playing brilliantly this season and I'm sure that Cerbera is suitably impressed with his exploits.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 6:18 pm

Greenjock wrote:
Greenjock wrote:
Nick Compton of Somerset is in cracking form so far this season. He's scored 99 and 133 in the two County Championship matches played so far, and today is currently 92 not out against Nottinghamshire.

Last season he scored over 1000 runs in the County Championship, averaging over 50, but was overshadowed by Marcus Trescothick's amazing season. With Andrew Strauss struggling for form, Englands top order could do with a shake-up. Compton is a number 3 batsman really so I can't see him replacing Strauss, but if Ian Bell doesn't score runs early this season I would give him a go.

He's another South African born cricketer, but he has been in England for years now, and is the Grandson of none other than Dennis Compton.

I also think this is Somerset's year, as they have been knocking on the door in recent seasons, but the addition of Philander as their overseas player should be just what they need to win the title. I also think that they will do well in the one day competitions, especially the 20/20 which they won a couple of years ago and were runners up last year. For the 20/20 competition they have also recruited Chris Gayle who is probably the most explosive batsman in the world. They already have a brilliant batting line-up, although Trescothick hobbled off injured yesterday, but with Gayle, who's also a tidy spin bowler, they should win this year and I will be going to see a few games. Haven't been for a couple of years now but it's a cracking day out at Taunton drinking in the sun, and my suggestion for a out of season freak meet.

Real shame that due to the bad weather yesterday in Worcester, that Compton missed out on being the first man to score 1,000 first class runs before the end of May. Typically he's now passed the milestone and is currently 72 not out, but of course it's 1st June.

Still he's playing brilliantly this season and I'm sure that Cerbera is suitably impressed with his exploits.

Surely he must be in contention for the England team? Bairstow was far from convincing against Roach and he'll get more of the same when Steyn and Morkel get going. I see KP has retired from OD cricket-shame really,great entertainer,presumably the IPL has had a major bearing on his decision.Saw a possible replacement last night,a real short arsed little chap called Taylor,he plays for Notts and i think is captain of the England Lions.Blimey he could hit-Harry Pilling on speed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 7:07 pm

I think they've gone with Bairstow because he's more of a big-hitter, well when he gets in he is, whereas Compton is more like Trott and occupies the crease and accumulates runs without taking too many risks.

Compton deserves a chance with the way he's playing, and he scored over 1,000 runs last year so he's no flash in the pan, but Bairstow has played 20/20 and 1 day matches for England so was always favourite for the last batting place. I can't see England changing a winning team for the 3rd test against the Windies, but if Bairstow doesn't get many for the 3rd game hopefully Compton will get the nod for the South Africa tests.

It looks like KP has thrown his toys out of the pram because he wasn't allowed to pick and choose what games he played. It's all very well saying you need a rest from limited overs games, but he chooses to play in the IPL and earn a whack doing it. So he's going to play in the IPL for Delhi, possibly play in the 20/20 Champions League, and then play in the Aussie Big Bash tournament.

He will earn a fortune doing it, but it's a shame he's decided to retire from England limited overs matches. I wish he had at least waited until after the one-dayers against Australia and South Africa, and then the 20/20 World Cup later this year, but it looks like he was trying to prove a point.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 6:48 am

Greenjock wrote:
I think they've gone with Bairstow because he's more of a big-hitter, well when he gets in he is, whereas Compton is more like Trott and occupies the crease and accumulates runs without taking too many risks.

Compton deserves a chance with the way he's playing, and he scored over 1,000 runs last year so he's no flash in the pan, but Bairstow has played 20/20 and 1 day matches for England so was always favourite for the last batting place. I can't see England changing a winning team for the 3rd test against the Windies, but if Bairstow doesn't get many for the 3rd game hopefully Compton will get the nod for the South Africa tests.

It looks like KP has thrown his toys out of the pram because he wasn't allowed to pick and choose what games he played. It's all very well saying you need a rest from limited overs games, but he chooses to play in the IPL and earn a whack doing it. So he's going to play in the IPL for Delhi, possibly play in the 20/20 Champions League, and then play in the Aussie Big Bash tournament.

He will earn a fortune doing it, but it's a shame he's decided to retire from England limited overs matches. I wish he had at least waited until after the one-dayers against Australia and South Africa, and then the 20/20 World Cup later this year, but it looks like he was trying to prove a point.

Maybe trying to force the ECB's hand. They have the ridiculous ruling that you have to be available for both 50 and 20 overs cricket, when KP would probably still play the 20/20's if they allowed him to.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 9:46 am

I'd have gone Patel. Did OK over the winter. Man in possession and don't think he'd shirk a challenge.

Either that or finally give Bopara another go.

Or maybe Carberry.

But I'd hold back on Bairstow/Taylor/Hales for another year or two. This series against RSA is too important in shaping the next few years at the top of the pile.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 10:31 am

Bopara was injured, not sure if he still is now.

The trouble is the next series after SA is in India and the selectors probably won't want to try someone inexperienced in international cricket out there.

That probably leaves Patel as the best option if Bopara doesn't play this summer.

Compton has played for the English lions side already but it's nothing like playing against SA or India in India.

I wonder what Cerbs thinks?
Back to top Go down
Nick

Nick

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 12:12 pm

Finally playing in my first game today after a succession of cancellations and gaps in the fixture list. Tis a friendly against Holton & Weatley from Oxfordshire way. Looks like it'll be hooning it down before close of play.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Cricket thread just for Cerbera
Page 3 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next