Mock Cuncher
Nick
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Greenskin

Greenskin

Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 10 EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 2:27 pm

Good late come back by England today,watching this am i didn't think they would ever take a wicket.Haven't seen it yet but Dhoni would seem to have been unlucky to be run out for 99.All about a quick clean up tomorrow and then handling the pressure-can't see any reason why England shouldn't bat big in the second innings and close out the series.
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 10 EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 2:30 pm

I learnt something new today, if your bat is on the crease, you're out. It has to be past it.

Never too old to learn.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 10 EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 2:31 pm

Charlie Wood wrote:
I learnt something new today, if your bat is on the crease, you're out. It has to be past it.

Never too old to learn.

Yep,as the old umpires used to say,"the line's mine".
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 10 EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 11:05 am

RIP in peace Tony Greig.

Too young, seemed fit as a fiddle not so long ago.

Puts the internet into perspective, etc.

Seriously though.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 10 EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 11:42 am

Very fine all rounder,somewhat controversial figure.Biggest mistake was to say that he was going to make the West Indies "grovel" before the series in 1976,not really the most diplomatic remark for a white South African to make and rammed very firmly down his throat by Holding,Roberts,Richards and a few others.He was heavily involved in World Series Cricket,which unquestionably changed the face of cricket for ever,he was basically ostracised by the cricket establishment afterwards and went to Australia,where he reinvented himself as a forthright commentator.Not everyones cup of tea but he certainly made an impact in all areas and will be sadly missed.RIP Tony.
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 10 EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 1:03 pm

He was a larger than life character, the sort the cricket establishment didn't like. He famously launched a tirade against the ECB when he heard one of the members making a comment about a potential England player...'well he may be able to play, but is he a gentleman?'

Bothamesque in his approach - or was Botham Greigesque? Anyway, RIP Tony Greig.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 10 EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 1:22 pm

Loved his commentary, but I'm a bit young to remember him playing really.

I did watch a great documentary about the West Indies team of the 70's and 80's where it showed Greig saying he wanted to make the Windies grovel.

Going out to face Holding, Marshall, Garner and Roberts after saying that, without a helmet or much protection other than his pads and England cap, was either very brave or very stupid.

He will be sadly missed.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 10 EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 1:28 pm

Fire in Babylon. Great film, great clips of yesteryear, very inspiring.

Saw one about the Afghan cricket team's rise to prominence too. Enjoyed that as well - fair play to them. Discussed it further on my fabulously average blog (if you cant be both'd to click, then summary = very good):

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Roar.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 10 EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 2:08 pm

Mock Cuncher wrote:
Fire in Babylon. Great film, great clips of yesteryear, very inspiring.

Saw one about the Afghan cricket team's rise to prominence too. Enjoyed that as well - fair play to them. Discussed it further on my fabulously average blog (if you cant be both'd to click, then summary = very good):

Roar.

That's the one. Definitely worth watching and it's about much more than cricket. If you're a white honky dude who taps their feet to reggae it's a great soundtrack too.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 10 EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 4:26 pm

Greenjock wrote:

I did watch a great documentary about the West Indies team of the 70's and 80's where it showed Greig saying he wanted to make the Windies grovel.

Going out to face Holding, Marshall, Garner and Roberts after saying that, without a helmet or much protection other than his pads and England cap, was either very brave or very stupid.

He will be sadly missed.

They didn't have the protective gear in those days.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 10 EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 5:22 pm

Tringreen wrote:
Greenjock wrote:

He will be sadly missed.

They didn't have the protective gear in those days.

True but he still didn't have to say that to get their backs up. Andy Roberts with a slightly slower than usual bouncer which Greig thinks is easy to pull or hook, followed by him bending his back and targetting Greig's throat at 90mph affraid
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 10 EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 5:31 pm

I don't remember any of the South African ex pats ever giving their home contry a hard time over appartheid, even Basil, I might be wrong.
Greig was a strange one, definitely his own man, good fun to watch as a batsman ... there was never a bat big enough. A boring bowler to watch, but overall a plus for the cricket circus that employed him. petersen probably moulds his attitude on him.... pay day is all important. Sad news though and he shouldn't have smoked so heavily ... he would be alive this morning..
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 10 EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 2:44 pm

Test Match Special commentator Christopher Martin-Jenkins has died of cancer at the age of 67.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 10 EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 4:17 pm

Tgwu wrote:
Test Match Special commentator Christopher Martin-Jenkins has died of cancer at the age of 67.

I've only just found out what he looked like but I could pick his voice out of a thousand people. Brings back memories of warm and wet Summer days and cold and dark early Winter mornings. RIP, one of the classic commentators. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 10 EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 4:25 pm

He was a great writer, one of my favourites.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 10 EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 5:18 pm

Remember CMJ doing some TV commentary during the Botham Ashes series,he wasn't really comfortable with the role,far better suited to radio.Classic commentator on there,as recognisable in his own way as Johson or Arlott.He was a pretty good player himself for Surrey seconds i believe,which could only have added to his insight into the game,and his son Robin was a very high class county all rounder for Sussex.Sad news,i knew he was ill but didn't realise it was that bad.RIP CMJ.
Back to top Go down
hippo

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 10 EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 7:55 pm

I enjoyed listening to him on the radio, RIP CMJ, I didn't even know he was ill.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 10 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 8:27 am

He was so professional on the radio. No larking about from him.

I liked the way that describing play was the most important thing, not regaling listeners with stories from years ago, he left that to the others on the whole.

He was cricket through and through despite not being a world class player himself, whereas Aggers tries to big up his career when he was distinctly average really.

Seems to be that nearly all of the old guard have gone now and it will soon be all former England captains doing the commentating, whether they have a personality or not.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 10 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 9:09 am

Slice of chocolate cake, my dear old thing ?
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 10 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 12:48 pm

NZ 1st Innings 45 all out v SA at Capetown this morning !
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 10 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 2:17 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
NZ 1st Innings 45 all out v SA at Capetown this morning !

My lads, not that I'm a glory hunter or owt. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 10 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 5:25 pm

Shane Warne and Marlon Samuels bust up.

It's just not cricket old chap:

Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 10 EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 6:38 pm

Greenjock wrote:
Shane Warne and Marlon Samuels bust up.

It's just not cricket old chap:

Damned Colonials,no idea of how to behave.Bit similar to the incident where Dennis Lillee kicked Javed Miandad up the arse.Good fun though really.

Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 10 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 9:18 pm

Doom and gloom! Compton b Southee 0.We're doomed to a humiliation!

Cook's bat looks about a yard wide,though.Hope i haven't put the jinx on him.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 10 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 9:23 pm

Any sort of total close to 300 and we'll win this game.

Maybe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

Cricket thread just for Cerbera
Page 10 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next