downthetrack
Tringreen
Mock Cuncher
Nick
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage

Cricket thread just for Cerbera Empty
PostSubject: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 2:20 pm

Nick Compton of Somerset is in cracking form so far this season. He's scored 99 and 133 in the two County Championship matches played so far, and today is currently 92 not out against Nottinghamshire.

Last season he scored over 1000 runs in the County Championship, averaging over 50, but was overshadowed by Marcus Trescothick's amazing season. With Andrew Strauss struggling for form, Englands top order could do with a shake-up. Compton is a number 3 batsman really so I can't see him replacing Strauss, but if Ian Bell doesn't score runs early this season I would give him a go.

He's another South African born cricketer, but he has been in England for years now, and is the Grandson of none other than Dennis Compton.

I also think this is Somerset's year, as they have been knocking on the door in recent seasons, but the addition of Philander as their overseas player should be just what they need to win the title. I also think that they will do well in the one day competitions, especially the 20/20 which they won a couple of years ago and were runners up last year. For the 20/20 competition they have also recruited Chris Gayle who is probably the most explosive batsman in the world. They already have a brilliant batting line-up, although Trescothick hobbled off injured yesterday, but with Gayle, who's also a tidy spin bowler, they should win this year and I will be going to see a few games. Haven't been for a couple of years now but it's a cracking day out at Taunton drinking in the sun, and my suggestion for a out of season freak meet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 5:15 pm

Compton is now 155 not out. Get him in the England team.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 5:51 pm

Somerset declare on 445 for 2, with Compton 204 not out. A first innings lead of 283, having bowled Notts out for 162.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 9:45 pm

Definitely up for a Freak Meet at the County Ground - like you say Jock, it's a cracking day out; maybe a get together for one of the T20 games?
Back to top Go down
Nick

Nick

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 10:12 pm

Cracking stuff from Compton indeed. But forget the Freak Meet in Taunton, come to Hardenhuish Park instead - Chippenham CC looking good for a shot at the WEPL title Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 11:20 pm

Andy_Symons wrote:
Definitely up for a Freak Meet at the County Ground - like you say Jock, it's a cracking day out; maybe a get together for one of the T20 games?

Definitely Andy. A hot Sunday freak meet. I'll look at the fixtures and see who's up for it. Nick, I mean real cricket!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 9:16 am

I started to read this thread but I must have dozed off.....

More fruit cake anyone?

Oh look! A pigeon right at silly mid on.

Splendid cup tea by the way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 9:22 am

Cerbera wrote:
I started to read this thread but I must have dozed off.....

More fruit cake anyone?

Oh look! A pigeon right at silly mid on.

Splendid cup tea by the way.

So that's a 'maybe' for a cricket FM ?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 9:25 am

Actually, if I have to endure cricket, then pleasantly pissed at a T20 would be the least painful way.

I can always bring Joe's Nintendo DS Smile
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 9:29 am

The best thing about cricket is the writing.

Wisden 2012 Almanack waiting for me when I get back.

I'd imagine (Lord) Selvey from the Graun will feature.

queen
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 9:31 am

Mock Cuncher wrote:
The best thing about cricket is the writing.

Wisden 2012 Almanack waiting for me when I get back.

I'd imagine (Lord) Selvey from the Graun will feature.

queen

Sadly, we lost the best writer of the lot last year. Peter Roebuck could describe cricket in a way only matched by Cardus and CLR James.
Back to top Go down
Nick

Nick

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 8:45 am

Going to the T20 game between Glous and Somerset on Thursday 14th June if anyone is in the Bristol area!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 9:54 am

I might be able to make that Nick. I'll let you know
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 10:32 am

Dammit!

Would loved to have been there!

Going to be in a French field watching the Le Mans 24 hour race.

Next time perhaps?
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 10:36 am

I'll be in the UK for 3 weeks in July if there are any suitable matches for a pi$$ up, I mean meet up !
Back to top Go down
Nick

Nick

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 1:24 pm

Greenjock wrote:

Good stuff! It'll just be me and a mate (who lives next to the ground) and as much Thatcher's as it's humanly possible to drink in the available time!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 1:41 pm

Nick wrote:
Greenjock wrote:

Good stuff! It'll just be me and a mate (who lives next to the ground) and as much Thatcher's as it's humanly possible to drink in the available time!

Sounds good to me. I'll see what I can swing with the missus.

The game against Worcestershire on Sunday 1st July looks like an ideal freak meet, as it's a 2.30 start in Taunton. Should be over by 6.30-7.00 and it's £20 a ticket. I was trying to look and see how much a hospitality suite is but the link doesn't seem to work.

If anyone's interested in going, it's probably best to book in advance for T20 games, and a Sunday in July could be a great day out. The hospitality suites hold a maximum of 20 people, so can anyone who's interested let me know asap and I can see how much they cost.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 6:07 pm

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
downthetrack

downthetrack

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 8:08 pm

I'm up for a piss up at any sporting venue,even if it is with freak Argyle fans.
Back to top Go down
Nick

Nick

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 10:03 pm

Henry Olonga took part of our training session at the club tonight, then did a wee Q&A session in the club house afterwards. Twas good it was. He's been in Chippenham for a few days giving talks and doing his music thing.

1st July in Taunton also sounds like a good plan!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 10:05 pm

July 1st could be good for me too. If we can get a big enough group to get an Hospitality Box, I'd definitely be up for that. Might even bring Wife and #1 son, They love the T20's.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 10:53 pm

Hospitality suites for weekend T20 matches work out at £65 per person +vat. I have a PDF file with all the details on it, but can't seem to upload it. Not sure where I'm going wrong but I'm no computer expert.

It doesn't look that great for the money though, a cold buffet and half a bottle of wine each, so I think I would prefer to be out drinking in the sun personally.

Forgot to add a scorecard and a cream tea as well.

Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 8:27 am

Greenjock wrote:
Nick wrote:
Greenjock wrote:

Sounds good to me. I'll see what I can swing with the missus.

The game against Worcestershire on Sunday 1st July looks like an ideal freak meet, as it's a 2.30 start in Taunton. Should be over by 6.30-7.00 and it's £20 a ticket. I was trying to look and see how much a hospitality suite is but the link doesn't seem to work.

If anyone's interested in going, it's probably best to book in advance for T20 games, and a Sunday in July could be a great day out. The hospitality suites hold a maximum of 20 people, so can anyone who's interested let me know asap and I can see how much they cost.

I'm not arriving in the UK until the following week Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 12:13 pm

The other possibility then is July 15th which is a 40 over game against Scotland. If anyone is interested in going please let me know quickly so we can start to make plans. I could make either of these games so it makes no difference to me.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 12:19 pm

Greenjock wrote:
The other possibility then is July 15th which is a 40 over game against Scotland. If anyone is interested in going please let me know quickly so we can start to make plans. I could make either of these games so it makes no difference to me.

Don't change plans for me. The 20/20 sounds much more fun than Scotland !

I might go down for the two day game with the Saffers in July.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cricket thread just for Cerbera   Cricket thread just for Cerbera Empty

Back to top Go down

Cricket thread just for Cerbera
Page 1 of 11Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next