Dick Trickle
Greenskin
Dougie
AstiSpumante
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Your worst Argyle memory Empty
PostSubject: Your worst Argyle memory   Your worst Argyle memory EmptyThu Jun 02, 2016 9:09 am

After Wembers, it got me thinking how bad it can really get.
Mine is trudging home along Outland Road having seen the euphoria of Shilton arriving, shortly followed by being despatched to the next league down by the Walker Blackburn club that were on a totally different trajectory, heading for space.
I remember thinking how long it would take us to get promoted, even just back up to where we had just left  jocolor

And the answer was twelve years !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your worst Argyle memory   Your worst Argyle memory EmptyThu Jun 02, 2016 9:24 am

Going to Bradford for a midweek game when the Ciderman was in charge. We lost 3-1, Tommy was sent off, and I missed the last connecting train out of Bradford Interchange to get home. Ended up dossing in a real flea-pit of a bed and breakfast in Bradfords red light district. Got home the following afternoon, irked, dishevelled and relieved to have survived the experience.
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

PostSubject: Re: Your worst Argyle memory   Your worst Argyle memory EmptyThu Jun 02, 2016 11:56 am

Where to begin ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your worst Argyle memory   Your worst Argyle memory EmptyThu Jun 02, 2016 2:02 pm

Still Burnley '98. Cried.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your worst Argyle memory   Your worst Argyle memory EmptyThu Jun 02, 2016 2:12 pm

Stourbridge. Played off the pitch by a team about the level of Tiverton
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Your worst Argyle memory   Your worst Argyle memory EmptyThu Jun 02, 2016 2:22 pm

Brighton winning the League at Home Park and thinking that we were a million miles away from the team they had - strangely Brighton away in one of Kevin Hodges last games realising how so very very very poor we were under him - Dagenham and Redbridge FA Cup reply losing and Friio wearing white boots (its a small thing but stuck with me)
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Your worst Argyle memory   Your worst Argyle memory EmptyThu Jun 02, 2016 2:55 pm

Worst individual match was the 4-3 against Reading,3-0 up with 20 minutes to go. Worst sickener on a wider implication basis was the Burnley debacle-who knows where Argyle would have ended up had Shilts got us up and Dan was more inclined to open the purse strings.
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: Your worst Argyle memory   Your worst Argyle memory EmptyThu Jun 02, 2016 3:04 pm

Burnley was horrible however for pure shitty, couldn't give a feck and look how far we've sunk then 4-0 down away at Cheltenham at HT was pretty bad.
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: Your worst Argyle memory   Your worst Argyle memory EmptyThu Jun 02, 2016 5:58 pm

Already been mentioned but has to be the capitulation at Reading in 85/86 season from 3-0 up to lose 4-3 and Gorden Nisbet sent off
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Your worst Argyle memory   Your worst Argyle memory EmptyThu Jun 02, 2016 6:15 pm

There have been so many over the years. When I was very, very young, losing 9-0 at Stoke. My Dad was apoplectic.

Losing 7-2 at Bolton, the Cheltenham debacle (I was there) and the oft-mentioned Reading 4-3. Losing 5-1 at home to Brentford the first game of the season was a bummer.

Most recently, it was finding out Akos Buzacky was leaving. One of the best players in my view to wear an Argyle shirt - and it re-inforced the notion that we would never reach the Premier League as we couldn't hold on to our best players.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your worst Argyle memory   Your worst Argyle memory EmptyThu Jun 02, 2016 6:56 pm

Missing Friio's goal against QPR due to going to the toilet..... nearly pissed on the guy next to me as i reacted to the shaking of the devonport end lol
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Your worst Argyle memory   Your worst Argyle memory EmptyThu Jun 02, 2016 8:42 pm

I remember Brighton winning the title at Home Park too. Bloody hated it. Hundreds of 'em drunk on celebration celebrating wildly in our ground. Not right. I was fuming at the time. Getting quite arsey about it now.

There's nothing like getting your heart broken the first time though: Argyle 1 Notts County 4.

They played us off the park with Don Masson being about as brilliant as any player I ever saw play. I don't think I had seen us lose before - not like that anyway - and I cried all the way home.

14 Apr 1973

Argyle 1 - 4 Notts Co
Div 3
Home Park
Saturday, 14 Apr 1973 [43 years 2 months ago]

Team: Jim Furnell, Steve Davey, Colin Sullivan, John Hore, Peter Darke, Bobby Saxton, Ernie Machin, Derek Rickard, Jimmy Hinch, Alan Welsh, Ray Lugg.

Goals: Ernie Machin
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: Your worst Argyle memory   Your worst Argyle memory EmptyThu Jun 02, 2016 10:27 pm

The wretched 7-0 hammering at Brentford, letting. The club helping Newcastle celebrate promotion as we were relegated and losing 3-0 at home to Exeter also spring to mind
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: Your worst Argyle memory   Your worst Argyle memory EmptyThu Jun 02, 2016 10:30 pm

Last Monday.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your worst Argyle memory   Your worst Argyle memory EmptyThu Jun 02, 2016 10:46 pm

Scunthorpe at home. 3 -1 loss on a cold Tuesday night when they played in our,away kit in front of 3000. Sat there on my own thinking why the feck did my parents not move to Manchester.
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: Your worst Argyle memory   Your worst Argyle memory EmptyFri Jun 03, 2016 6:33 am

Losing 5-2 at home to Hull, watching Pat Dunne leaning against the post as the 5th flew in. My first relegation season. It was only October but I knew then we were going down.

Edit to add : Thanks to GOS I see we beat Aston Villa 2-1 in the first home game that 67/8 season in front of 20200, we ended the season beating Crystal Palace 2-1 in front of 4768, a sign of things to come. Success brings support not the other way round as some would have you believe.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Your worst Argyle memory   Your worst Argyle memory EmptyFri Jun 03, 2016 8:41 am

Monday.

Monday, Monday....
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Your worst Argyle memory   Your worst Argyle memory EmptyFri Jun 03, 2016 10:50 am

The Elm Park experience will never fade but receiving a PM on the farm from a current director in 2007, saying that Holloway had asked the fringe for financial backing to retain players and add to the squad when we were riding high in the Championship but when he found out that said fringe [I'll never hear a bad word about that man and his lovely family   ] had tried nothing, Holloway and his players were on their way out.

The farm propaganda machine went into overdrive, I was banned and Holloway became 'hollow words' 'hollow heart' etc etc and oh how they crowed when Argo won at Leicester !

Hull invested and were promoted to the Premier League.

Village idiots..............
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your worst Argyle memory   Your worst Argyle memory EmptyFri Jun 03, 2016 11:38 am

Monday took some beating but then you had to spend ten hours on a coach to really appreciate it. jocolor
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Your worst Argyle memory   Your worst Argyle memory EmptyFri Jun 03, 2016 12:32 pm

Amsterdamage wrote:
Monday took some beating but then you had to spend ten hours on a coach to really appreciate it. jocolor

indeed. 50 mins on the Met line, Beer in Baker St, 50 mins back home for more beer and the end of the cricket....................pain numbed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your worst Argyle memory   Your worst Argyle memory EmptyFri Jun 03, 2016 1:00 pm

First and last time I'll take a coach to the football, always been, train, shared driving, hitching or minibus. Would have been a piece of piss hitching back the other night wish I had.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your worst Argyle memory   Your worst Argyle memory EmptyFri Jun 03, 2016 4:24 pm

Doubt it. I wouldn't have picked up a Dalek at a motorway services in a million years. I wasn't going anywhere near Skaro.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your worst Argyle memory   Your worst Argyle memory EmptyFri Jun 03, 2016 4:26 pm

There was a star trek convention on in Earls Court and I'm sure most of them were dockies before they were Trekkies, and Mock was shorely heading back to the sarf hams in his coach and four?
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Your worst Argyle memory   Your worst Argyle memory EmptyFri Jun 03, 2016 4:32 pm

Seeing Argyle getting relegated to the bottom division for the first time.
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: Your worst Argyle memory   Your worst Argyle memory EmptyFri Jun 03, 2016 5:48 pm

Dorchester...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your worst Argyle memory   Your worst Argyle memory Empty

Back to top Go down

Your worst Argyle memory
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next