The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Tgwu

Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock Empty
PostSubject: Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock   Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock EmptyTue Mar 29, 2016 6:35 pm

This article brought many memories back from my childhood days, we used to follow the adults around some of these pubs on Boxing days, lead by a man playing a accordian. Started at the  Steam Packet (Owned by a close family member now) the  Standard - Morice Town Vaults - the Marlborough - the Fleet Club ( wedding reception) - the Lord Hood (Knock down by bus)- Cambridge Arms - Swans Inn - the Steam Packet - the Boots- Ark Royal - the Brown Bear ( the last beer just before I got married) - the Chapel - Beresford - Bristol Castle - Queen & Connie - the New Pier

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Boozy-old-Plymouth-pub-crawl-21-historic-Dockyard/story-29013751-detail/story.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock   Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock EmptyTue Mar 29, 2016 6:54 pm

Not sure if the bloke playing the accordion wasn't my old fella, I vaguely remember him leading a group of drinkers around the streets of Devonport and a group of kids latching on.
I think it also used to visit the crown and column round the back of the guildhall.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock   Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock EmptyTue Mar 29, 2016 7:21 pm

Graiser wrote:
Not sure if the bloke playing the accordion wasn't my old fella, I vaguely remember him leading a group of drinkers around the streets of Devonport and a group of kids latching on.
I think it also used to visit the crown and column round the back of the guildhall.

Went to school with a boy who lived in the Crown and Column, I think the family were called the Hills
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock   Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock EmptyTue Mar 29, 2016 7:46 pm

Interesting article, became quite familiar with some of those establishments in my dockyard days-remember the Prince of Wales as a spit and sawdust sort of place, i think the Keppels Head became part of the Complex pub later on. The Swan was a real ale pub, did my own dying swan act in there once. So sad to think of all the pubs that have gone in recent years, in my locality the Brentor Inn, Harvest Home, the Leg O'Mutton ,the Mucky Duck to name but a few have gone in comparatively recent times, looks like the Walkhampton Inn, the Royal Standard and the Leaping Salmon have major doubts about their future. Shame.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock   Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock EmptyTue Mar 29, 2016 8:08 pm

I can't remember the Royal Standard being up to much. I see it's up for sale yet again.
And I see the trout and tipple has had a large extension. They seem to do a fair amount of meals these days.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock   Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock EmptyTue Mar 29, 2016 8:18 pm

Funny Greenskin my family ran the Bedford inn in Sampford Spiney, (Bedford cottage now) before the son (my great grand father) moved to Devonport and took over the Red Cow in Barrack Street.

Last edited by Tgwu on Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock   Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock EmptyTue Mar 29, 2016 8:22 pm

Lord Biro wrote:
I can't remember the Royal Standard being up to much. I see it's up for sale yet again.
And I see the trout and tipple has had a large extension. They seem to do a fair amount of meals these days.

The Standard I knew was the one on the Queen St and Cannon St corner

Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock   Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock EmptyTue Mar 29, 2016 8:22 pm

Lord Biro wrote:

Seems to be about the only way that pubs around this neck of the woods survive now.The Blacksmiths at Lamerton,the Burrator,the Rock at Yelverton,Elephants Nest,Peter Tavy Inn,The Plough at Bere Ferrers etc certainly have that common thread-all have established a bit of a reputation for decent grub and seem to be doing quite well.Lots of factors involved in the decline of pubs of course-cheap supermarket beer,drink/driving,no smoking etc but local boozers that don't have food as at least a sideline are running a grave risk of closure,which i understand is sometimes not unwelcome with the owners.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock   Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock EmptyTue Mar 29, 2016 8:48 pm

Lord Biro wrote:

Always fancied the trout and tipple but never was in the right place at the right time. Leg o mutton used to do good beer but landlord was a bit miserable as far as I can remember
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock   Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock EmptyTue Mar 29, 2016 9:01 pm

Tgwu wrote:
Graiser wrote:

Went to school with a boy who lived in the Crown and Column, I think the family were called the Hills

i only lived a couple of houses away from the C&C and knew the Hills very well, I think there were 10 children, I knew Malcolm, Paul and Tony the most, not sure but I think there was only one daughter Jennifer.
Mum and Dad hill were Norah and Jack, happy days with that family
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock   Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock EmptyWed Mar 30, 2016 8:06 am

Not Demport but early 70s Stoke/ Millbridge was a ball - Stoke Vaults, Waterloo, Railway, Terminus,  Edgecumbe indelibly stamped in my youth!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock   Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock EmptyWed Mar 30, 2016 8:37 am

Lord Biro wrote:

Standard was a good pub up until the late eighties, Peter who ran it died in a light aircraft accident shortly after retiring and it's been shite ever since. Trout and Tipple was the Cottage Inn and a great market day pub where you could drink all day on a Wednesday or Friday, it's now owned by the girl from the Trout farm whos a cow, reading the trip advisor arguments between her and her customers is a laugh if you have an hour to kill. "The service was poor" she then replies with "oh no its not, I remember you, you had a great time" clueless and doomed. She's up for sale now.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock   Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock EmptyWed Mar 30, 2016 8:43 am

Stoke Vaults, two of my brother at different time ran it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock   Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock EmptyWed Mar 30, 2016 9:33 am

Tgwu wrote:

Remember Al and his young daughter who ran the Railway - cider ruins yer brains, wouldn't change a thing. Perhaps the night we decided to monkey hang the railway bridge and only one ended up in a heap below, only one guess, crazy days!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock   Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock EmptyWed Mar 30, 2016 10:57 am

Bandwagon wrote:
Tgwu wrote:

Remember Al and his young daughter who ran the Railway - cider ruins yer brains, wouldn't change a thing. Perhaps the night we decided to monkey hang the railway bridge and only one ended up in a heap below, only one guess, crazy days!!

I used to live opposite the Railway unforch was banned after a couple of weeks over a misunderstanding over a pool game. Used to love the pub crawl to HP through Stoke village.
The Swan in Devonport was one of my favourite Plymouth pubs Sunday lunchtime with fiddler Jennings (good ere innit?) and the boys was epic and quite often went through to Monday morning.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock   Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock EmptyWed Mar 30, 2016 11:03 am

Amsterdamage wrote:
Bandwagon wrote:
Tgwu wrote:

I used to live opposite the Railway unforch was banned after a couple of weeks over a misunderstanding over a pool game. Used to love the pub crawl to HP through Stoke village.
The Swan in Devonport was one of my favourite Plymouth pubs Sunday lunchtime with fiddler Jennings (good ere innit?) and the boys was epic and quite often went through to Monday morning.
What period was that, although I lived in whitleigh I used to go with Millbridge mates around 73/5 ish.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock   Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Bandwagon wrote:
Amsterdamage wrote:
Bandwagon wrote:
Tgwu wrote:

What period was that, although I lived in whitleigh I used to go with Millbridge mates around 73/5 ish.

Not as old as you Bandy (not that you'd know looking at us Very Happy ) around 1980 possibly as early as '78 but up into the mid eighties. My mate used to live near the Millbridge, crazy fooker with glasses whose hair all fell out. Happy daze.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock   Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock Empty

Back to top Go down

Boozy old Devonport pub crawl through 21 historic Dock
Page 1 of 1