6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

An Historic Day Empty
PostSubject: An Historic Day   An Historic Day EmptySat Jun 28, 2014 11:59 am

Today is the day that Archduke Franz Ferdinand was assassinated in Sarajevo in 1914. It was the start of events that led to the First World War.

The BBC takes a lot of flack over the way it does its job (sometimes quite rightly) but what a great idea to run a news item about what happened in 1914 as if it was happening now.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

An Historic Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Historic Day   An Historic Day EmptySat Jun 28, 2014 12:21 pm

The BBS do some fantastic stuff, there's no doubt about that. Unfortunately it's the fantastic stuff that the BBC make that up-holds a politically corrupt Government sponsored news media.
Back to top Go down

An Historic Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Historic Day   An Historic Day EmptySat Jun 28, 2014 5:43 pm

Gotta say though, the BBC coverage of Glastonbury is spot on, online.
Back to top Go down

An Historic Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Historic Day   An Historic Day EmptySat Jun 28, 2014 5:50 pm

One must get ones self to Glasto one year, before I'm too old.
Back to top Go down

An Historic Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Historic Day   An Historic Day EmptySat Jun 28, 2014 5:51 pm

My missus said last night that the sunset at Glasto looked brilliant, I said we are probably seeing something better than that as its being filmed by a Beeb cameraman who knows what filters to use, it was quite stunning light they captured though.
Back to top Go down

An Historic Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Historic Day   An Historic Day EmptySat Jun 28, 2014 5:59 pm

Person Of Interest wrote:
One must get ones self to Glasto one year, before I'm too old.

I say that every year but then I look at the rain pishing down there and I think "fek that"  clown 

It's hard to fault the camera work Iggy and for Internet coverage it's brilliant. Modern technology I guess. Still, it was better in the 70s  clown 
Back to top Go down

An Historic Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Historic Day   An Historic Day EmptySat Jun 28, 2014 6:19 pm

Can't wait for Metallica tonight. Not everyone's cup of Glasto tea, but suits me!! Rock drunk chickendance

Apparently my broad spectrum of musical taste never ceases to amuse wifey. One minute I'm listening to Cancer Bats, then The PLanets by Holst, then onto Fairport Convention, then Jack Johnson, followed by The Levellers!! rabbit 

I say whatever floats your boat!
Back to top Go down

An Historic Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Historic Day   An Historic Day EmptySat Jun 28, 2014 6:26 pm

I was thinking about going to Cropredy this year but it ties in with other commitments. I have seen the Levellers dozens of times, great band even if they are a little political.

Have you been to Beautiful Days POI? I keep mean to book every year but forget and all the bloody tickets get sold out!
Back to top Go down

An Historic Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Historic Day   An Historic Day EmptySat Jun 28, 2014 8:44 pm

GOB wrote:
I was thinking about going to Cropredy this year but it ties in with other commitments. I have seen the Levellers dozens of times, great band even if they are a little political.

Have you been to Beautiful Days POI? I keep mean to book every year but forget and all the bloody tickets get sold out!  

To be honest, Gob. I've never feckin heard of it!! clown 
Back to top Go down

An Historic Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Historic Day   An Historic Day EmptySat Jun 28, 2014 8:46 pm

Feck. Just googled it and the Levellers are playing but it's all sold out.

I hate you. deadhorse rabbit

Hey - that Cropredy looks interesting. I should get out more.
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

An Historic Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Historic Day   An Historic Day EmptySat Jun 28, 2014 8:49 pm

Mouldy posts about Franz Ferdinand and it's immediately all about pop music, ah the youth of today Very Happy 
Back to top Go down

An Historic Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Historic Day   An Historic Day EmptySat Jun 28, 2014 8:50 pm

GOB wrote:

I'll get tickets for us next year.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

An Historic Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Historic Day   An Historic Day EmptySat Jun 28, 2014 8:57 pm

Charlie Wood wrote:
Mouldy posts about Franz Ferdinand and it's immediately all about pop music, ah the youth of today Very Happy 

More like Bloody yoof of today Charlie!!  Mad 

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

An Historic Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Historic Day   An Historic Day EmptySun Jun 29, 2014 6:19 am

GOB wrote:

Deal!

Sorry Mouldy  clown 
Back to top Go down

An Historic Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Historic Day   An Historic Day EmptySun Jun 29, 2014 6:21 am

Charlie Wood wrote:

Pop music, POP FFS!

This isn't about POP, it's about culture doooood  lol! 
Back to top Go down

An Historic Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Historic Day   An Historic Day EmptySun Jun 29, 2014 9:17 am

Can't wait for Metallica tonight. Not everyone's cup of Glasto tea, but suits me!! Rock drunk chickendance

Apparently my broad spectrum of musical taste never ceases to amuse wifey. One minute I'm listening to Cancer Bats, then The PLanets by Holst, then onto Fairport Convention, then Jack Johnson, followed by The Levellers!! rabbit 

I say whatever floats your boat!
I love the Cancer Bats man.
Saw them at Reading 2012 for the first time, and then they played at White Rabbit in Plymouth early in 2013. Rock 
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

An Historic Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Historic Day   An Historic Day EmptySun Jun 29, 2014 11:47 am

GOB wrote:
GOB wrote:

Deal!

Sorry Mouldy  clown 

So you bloody should be!  Very Happy 

It's the way some threads go and I'm not too bothered.

Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

An Historic Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Historic Day   An Historic Day EmptySun Jun 29, 2014 11:54 am

The Beeb are alright, but there is nothing more nauseating than their Wimbledon coverage. It's tennis as a human interest story, with a bit of mild, plucky jingoism and a touch of Antiques Roadshow.

The coverage of the 'celebrities' in the 'Royal' Box made me want to vomit yesterday.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

An Historic Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Historic Day   An Historic Day EmptySun Jun 29, 2014 12:05 pm

Don't like tennis so I didn't see it.

Back to top Go down

An Historic Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Historic Day   An Historic Day EmptySun Jun 29, 2014 12:44 pm

I pride my self on my ability to not watch one second of tennis from Wimblebore each year. This year - so far so good.
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

An Historic Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Historic Day   An Historic Day EmptySun Jun 29, 2014 2:04 pm

mouldyoldgoat wrote:
Today is the day that Archduke Franz Ferdinand was assassinated in Sarajevo in 1914. It was the start of events that led to the First World War.

The BBC takes a lot of flack over the way it does its job (sometimes quite rightly) but what a great idea to run a news item about what happened in 1914 as if it was happening now.

Getting back to this, I've just spent some time learning more about my grandfather's WWI medals, which recently came to light amongst my late uncle's effects. The uncle who had the medals volunteered right at the start of WW2: I wonder how his father (another volunteer, who was in France almost continuously from 1914 til the end) felt about that ...

Not to glorify war in any way, but compared to those generations we haven't got a feckin clue.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

An Historic Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Historic Day   An Historic Day EmptySun Jun 29, 2014 2:46 pm

Peggy wrote:
mouldyoldgoat wrote:

Getting back to this, I've just spent some time learning more about my grandfather's WWI medals, which recently came to light amongst my late uncle's effects. The uncle who had the medals volunteered right at the start of WW2: I wonder how his father (another volunteer, who was in France almost continuously from 1914 til the end) felt about that ...

Not to glorify war in any way, but compared to those generations we haven't got a feckin clue.

Most true.I've been reading Paxman's book on WW1 in recent weeks-horrendous mutilations,mass killing,indescribable living conditions,forms of warfare not seen before such as Mustard gas,idiotic or callous decision making at all official levels-you name it,the ordinary Tommy had to put up with it.Certainly makes you grateful that our generation didn't have to face such abominations and should really put everything into perspective for future generations as well when bemoaning their lot.Bet it won't though.
Back to top Go down

An Historic Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Historic Day   An Historic Day EmptyMon Jun 30, 2014 10:24 am

How many of today's players would do the same as Jack Cock ? I'm struggling to imagine Jason Banton in the trenches.

Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

An Historic Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Historic Day   An Historic Day EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 10:53 pm

Missed bbc news item, is it available to watch anywhere ? More commemartion required for this event
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

An Historic Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Historic Day   An Historic Day EmptyWed Jul 02, 2014 12:04 am

Try this link.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

An Historic Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Historic Day   An Historic Day Empty

Back to top Go down

An Historic Day
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next