lawnmowerman
Freathy
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Greenskin

Greenskin

Southend match thread - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 5:19 pm

ejh wrote:
I don't know where Sheridan gets his reputation for being a one dimensional manager with no plan B from.

He gave Nathan Thomas a whole 3 minutes there to change the game and he didnt. See? Sheridan always told us he was overrated. It is not Sheridan's fault we can't score when Reuben is out of form, it has only been glaringly obvious when our top scoring midfielder has 2 goals.

How Thomas finds himself being treated like a spare part when he has directly changed at least 5 games for us last season with his goals, dribbles and assists - it is totally beyond me.

Like Luke Young, young players with talent but no physicality are better off out of Argyle, very sad but true state of affairs these days

Really? Bobby Reid and Kellett didn't give that impression when they were in the team.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 5:21 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Not bad but lack of away goals very worrying. Huge match next week which will shape the course of the rest of the season IMHO.

Hourihane scored his 11th goals of the season today, albeit this one from the penalty spot. If only,eh.

When you get a bid like £200,000 for a young captain who is glaringly too good for the standard, you just have to sell and move on.

Earth shattering bids like that come once in a generation, look at Exeter with Grimes they will tell you.

We just couldn't step in Hourihane's way to prevent him fulfilling his career ambition of fighting relegation in League One with his childhood idols Barnsley.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 5:21 pm

I have just read the thread on Pasoti .

The Aviva's think our current form is acceptable.

I',m going away for a cold bath..these people really are beyond help.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 5:26 pm

ejh wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Not bad but lack of away goals very worrying. Huge match next week which will shape the course of the rest of the season IMHO.

Hourihane scored his 11th goals of the season today, albeit this one from the penalty spot. If only,eh.

When you get a bid like £200,000 for a young captain who is glaringly too good for the standard, you just have to sell and move on.

Earth shattering bids like that come once in a generation, look at Exeter with Grimes they will tell you.

We just couldn't step in Hourihane's way to prevent him fulfilling his career ambition of fighting relegation in League One with his childhood idols Barnsley.

lol! You nearly whooshed me there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 5:26 pm

Greenskin wrote:
ejh wrote:
I don't know where Sheridan gets his reputation for being a one dimensional manager with no plan B from.

He gave Nathan Thomas a whole 3 minutes there to change the game and he didnt. See? Sheridan always told us he was overrated. It is not Sheridan's fault we can't score when Reuben is out of form, it has only been glaringly obvious when our top scoring midfielder has 2 goals.

How Thomas finds himself being treated like a spare part when he has directly changed at least 5 games for us last season with his goals, dribbles and assists - it is totally beyond me.

Like Luke Young, young players with talent but no physicality are better off out of Argyle, very sad but true state of affairs these days

Really? Bobby Reid and Kellett didn't give that impression when they were in the team.

They are from clubs way up the pyramid, therefore they are well better than the youngsters who are contracted to the club and the usual rules do not apply to them.

'Why develop youth when you can get one month loans from Championship academies whenever you want?', as Paul Tisdale once famously said.
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 5:34 pm

That nil nil is like a champions league point for me, i thought a stuffing was on the cards! still the gratefuls will be happy with our two points from twelve. Trust in Green Jim:geek:
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 6:29 pm

It's a decent point, however in light of our recent results we could've done with 3. Our next two home games are must wins if we're to get back on track and that won't be easy if we can't bleddy score.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 7:46 pm

The best team drew*.

*And that team wasn't us.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 7:59 pm

AstiSpumante wrote:
It's a decent point, however in light of our recent results we could've done with 3.

Basically the nub. Isolated it wasn't a bad day today.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 7:59 pm

Greenskin wrote:

Didn't you post some weeks back that we should ignore Reids high total because so many were pens? Hourihane is doing so well that Barnsley are very close to a relegation scrap.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 8:01 pm

A point away from home will suffice for today.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 8:02 pm

tigertony wrote:
Greenskin wrote:

Didn't you post some weeks back that we should ignore Reids high total because so many were pens? Hourihane is doing so well that Barnsley are very close to a relegation scrap.
If you take away penalties, Andy Cole scored more Premiership goals than Alan Shearer.

Completely irrelevant stat, but it amazed me!
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 8:18 pm

sufferedsince 68 wrote:
That nil nil is like a champions league point for me, i thought a stuffing was on the cards! still the gratefuls will be happy with our two points from twelve. Trust in Green Jim:geek:

If they do then they will need a good talking to .

2 from 12 is a disaster bordering on epic Proportions. The dreaded wobble has been hit it would appear and getting out of that wobble will take courage and strength, something that may have deserted the players just of late.

If the above is correct, then why have players lost courage and strength at a time when it was surely needed. Is this really the same side that was the form team in League Two not long ago [and that includes accounts of loan deals and injuries].

Mid-table obscurity any-one ?.

Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 8:28 pm

VillageGreen wrote:
sufferedsince 68 wrote:

If they do then they will need a good talking to .

2 from 12 is a disaster bordering on epic Proportions. The dreaded wobble has been hit it would appear and getting out of that wobble will take courage and strength, something that may have deserted the players just of late.

If the above is correct, then why have players lost courage and strength at a time when it was surely needed. Is this really the same side that was the form team in League Two not long ago [and that includes accounts of loan deals and injuries].

Mid-table obscurity any-one ?.

How can there be any team spirit unity etc, when three of the team are here short term? Brent must think all argyle fans are simple avivas. 7500 average for us, yet all the fans get is short term make do and mend loans.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 8:30 pm

tigertony wrote:
Greenskin wrote:

No I didn't actually. If you can find a post of mine where I stated that, then i'll stand outside the trust gazebo next Saturday with a dirty mack on and flash at any passing females, including women PC's. Think you got your wires crossed there old chap.

As for Hourihane-he actually was brought down for the penalty that he scored today, so that may well be another assist to add to his collection as well as the 11 goals, penalties or not [and I do believe the majority have not been penalties]. Interesting comment about the relegation scrap at Barnsley-I suppose it begs the question of where Barnsley [in a division higher than us] would be without his contribution. Can't really comment on their situation though-what I can comment on is the loss of player who clearly developed fast last season and whose contribution was key to Argyle's improvement and play off push last season, fruitless though it was ultimately and whose ability to get goals from midfield and create chances, notably through precise set play delivery, would have been worth far more than £200k this season. I said at the time of his departure that it was a thoroughly bad decision and one which the club may well rue in the long term-you definitely will be able to find some posts by yours truly to that effect if you can be arsed to look. I never swallowed the line about "can't keep an unhappy player" either-plenty of clubs have taken an opposite stance in the past and have benefitted from it in the long term-so much bullshit, a la the Stapes mantra about Norris going on strike if he couldn't get a move.
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 8:34 pm

On a positive note the new defender looked good and did very well apparently. Now, back to the moaning, if we lose Bob Reid, O'Connor and Kellett this month and even if we manage to find similar replacements it will be unsettling for the team while the new bheys settle in and gel with t'others, not ideal as we approach the nitty gritty end of the season.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 9:10 pm

We are shit and we are never going to get in to the play offs in a month of sundays.
Stop deluding yourselves and vent your anger at the real bad guys.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 11:16 pm

Will do a proper review in a munite, shattered and need a (non akcoholic) drink though.

What a horrendously long day, and I for one am not happy with that at all.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 11:33 pm

Glass half full: 2 points from 12? Who cares if the loanees stay or not?
Glass half empty: Without the loanees we're well and truly stuffed.

Reality: 2 points from 12.

Not good enough whatever the reason.

Of those games I suppose away at Newport and Southend were tough. The other two? Not the same at all.

We're now 11 points off top spot and desperately hanging on to a play-off position due to a poor Christmas (ish) period. Had we had a good one we'd be eyeing the title.

It's not too late yet and we could well pick up but the odds are against us unless the loanees either come back or are replaced like-for-like.

I still think this league is there to be won but we need to do far better than 2/12 to do it.

And with a tough game at home to play-off rivals Luton coming up doing nothing isn't really an option, is it?

Push has come to shove. Time for some off-pitch leadership or we might not even hit a play-off spot and then we'll have yet another bloody season in this God-awful division.

If ever a board needed to back their manager then that time is now.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 11:59 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:

It's not too late yet and we could well pick up but the odds are against us unless the loanees either come back or are replaced like-for-like.
I still think this league is there to be won but we need to do far better than 2/12 to do it.
And with a tough game at home to play-off rivals Luton coming up doing nothing isn't really an option, is it?
I agree with all 4 statements above.
What is good from today, or appears to be good so far, is that the loanees JS gets now are generally good. The new guy appeared to have some quality, fit in and play well. If any more loanees are of the same standard I'd be quietly content. Onwards with 20 games to go - the real business is about to start.
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 12:24 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
"I still think this league is there to be won"...............Absolutely, but not by us Francis.

"If ever a board needed to back their manager then that time is now"
...............Couldn't agree more.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 6:41 am

Greenskin wrote:
tigertony wrote:
Greenskin wrote:

No I didn't actually. If you can find a post of mine where I stated that, then i'll stand outside the trust gazebo next Saturday with a dirty mack on and flash at any passing females, including women PC's. Think you got your wires crossed there old chap.

As for Hourihane-he actually was brought down for the penalty that he scored today, so that may well be another assist to add to his collection as well as the 11 goals, penalties or not [and I do believe the majority have not been penalties]. Interesting comment about the relegation scrap at Barnsley-I suppose it begs the question of where Barnsley [in a division higher than us] would be without his contribution. Can't really comment on their situation though-what I can comment on is the loss of player who clearly developed fast last season and whose contribution was key to Argyle's improvement and play off push last season, fruitless though it was ultimately and whose ability to get goals from midfield and create chances, notably through precise set play delivery, would have been worth far more than £200k this season. I said at the time of his departure that it was a thoroughly bad decision and one which the club may well rue in the long term-you definitely will be able to find some posts by yours truly to that effect if you can be arsed to look. I never swallowed the line about "can't keep an unhappy player" either-plenty of clubs have taken an opposite stance in the past and have benefitted from it in the long term-so much bullshit, a la the Stapes mantra about Norris going on strike if he couldn't get a move.

Players and managers do tend to jump ship when their stock is high and they can see that the club is showing no cash backed ambition and is going nowhere fast.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 7:38 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Glass half full: 2 points from 12? Who cares if the loanees stay or not?
Glass half empty: Without the loanees we're well and truly stuffed.

Reality: 2 points from 12.

Not good enough whatever the reason.

Of those games I suppose away at Newport and Southend were tough. The other two? Not the same at all.

We're now 11 points off top spot and desperately hanging on to a play-off position due to a poor Christmas (ish) period. Had we had a good one we'd be eyeing the title.

Push has come to shove. Time for some off-pitch leadership or we might not even hit a play-off spot and then we'll have yet another bloody season in this God-awful division.

Resigned myself already to League 2 football next season.
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 9:44 am

Well that is an improvement, used to be conference football next season.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 9:59 am

Yay, look how far we've come. The trouble is that if we finish in eighth then this season will be lauded a success by some. Not feckin good enough our support should see us strengthen now not weaken our squad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Southend match thread
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next