Tgwu
sufferedsince 68
lawnmowerman
Freathy
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage

Southend match thread - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 12:38 pm

pepsipete wrote:
Well that is an improvement, used to be conference football next season.

Depends on how high you set the bar Pepsi.

The trouble with a large sector of the fanbase is that they accept shit far too readily.

"Decent point at Southend" !!!!?? after the Festive fiasco  Rant
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 1:10 pm

However high the bar is set.....you'll always find someone winging.....day after day after day.....it's like flogging a ......deadhorse .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 6:18 pm

Well, I'll be honest, I found that a disappointing point. Yeah some are happy and say 'they would have taken it' but imo that's just setting the bar too low. I know we aren't Real Madrid or anything but we shouldn't be pleased with 0-0 draws against anyone, let alone in this league against a team like this. If we want promotion then we have to do better.

We did enough to win the game. We should have done really. If Alessandra and Reid weren't both in poor form then I think we would be doing a hell of a lot better. The rest of the team put in a decent shift. They were bright, hungry for the ball and the supply was alright despite the fact we were missing Bobby. Personally think we need a new forward though because we can't have strikers with such little competition. Morgan clearly isn't that good and Thomas wont get the chance, and I remain unsure about Harvey despite me being a fan of the lad.

Anyway, player ratings..

McCormick - 8 - Good game, made a couple of smart stops including a stunner in the second half which I don't think made it onto the highlights somehow. Felt calm and assured throughout and despite the chances you knew it would be tough for Southend to beat him.
Nelson - 7 - Solid and calm. We've definitely missed him recently.
McHugh - 8 - Very good game. Didn't really see him get beaten at all - on ground or in the air. His willingness to throw anything in the way of the ball is very impressive too, his commitment will go a long way to any potential promotion push.
Flanagan - 6 - Clearly a rather average centre back. Pretty good in the air but not overly confident on the ground. Saw nothing to suggest he was or could be better than Aaron Bentley, so I see why Shez wasn't originally going to get someone in.
Mellor - 6 - Not at his best, messed up a few times but still causes problems. Assured defensively but he's been much better for us in the past.
Kellett - 8 - I was very critical of him in the past and his inability to defend but that's changed a lot. Still never the complete full back he's now added a bit more defensive security for his game and he terrifies teams going forward. Massively grown on me.
O'Connor - 7 - Good first half but a little unconvincing in the second, lost the ball a bit too much for me. Still vital to the team and we need to renew his loan.
Cox - 7 - Has an excellent footballing brain and really uses it to make up for his perhaps lack of agility compared to some. Strong tackles and does the simple things well but dropped off towards the end, occasionally being a bit careless on the ball.
Banton - 7 - 8 based on his first half and a 6 on his second. Looked tidy but I'm guessing he got tired. Can't work out if he had found his hunger again or he's putting himself in the shop window. Either way, it would be very harsh to drop him vs Luton.
Alessandra - 5 - His lack of pace is infuriating and he was offside so much I lost track. Not a good day for him, he's been ok recently but there was a noticeable dip yesterday. Fatigue? Id probably rest him for the next game.
Reid - 5 - Well we know he's not going anywhere if he plays like that. Put some effort in but nothing came off and not once did he really look like scoring - apart from missing one good chance from a corner. We desperately need another forward to compete with these two.

Blizzard - 5 - What a pointless sub in an end to end game. What was the point? I do like him but wrong sub at the wrong time yesterday.
Thomas - N/A - Far too late. What was the point?

Man of the Match - McHugh.

It was so obvious we were playing for a draw it was actually a little embarrassing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 6:23 pm

It would be kinder on Nathan if John just got rid of him now. Not knocking him and his ability because he could be an asset if given time in a team but he isnt playing at all and when he does it for a few minutes.

He is better off going now rather than in the summer same for Morgan who unlike Thomas will never get better.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 6:30 pm

Good point. If we get rid of Morgan/Thomas/Banton then it'll at least free up some wages. I don't mind any of them but remain unconvinced based on what I've seen.

Harvey looks to be leaving too based on his treatment.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 7:56 am

Quote from Jose on Flanagan

Flanagan - 6 - Clearly a rather average centre back. Pretty good in the air but not overly confident on the ground. Saw nothing to suggest he was or could be better than Aaron Bentley, so I see why Shez wasn't originally going to get someone in

Quote from Flanagan

Flanagan said: “A couple of the boys described it as like a play-off final. It was so end-to-end and pretty open.

“Both teams are pretty close to each other in the league and no-one wants to lose the game. There were a lot of chances.

“I think we should have slowed the game down a little bit and we put ourselves in a couple of situations.

Flanagan said: “Everywhere he (Sheridan) has been, he has always liked his teams to play football and I like to
Play football, so it makes sense

Read more here
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Southend match thread   Southend match thread - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Southend match thread
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5