+2
seadog
Sandford_Grecian
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sandford_Grecian

Sandford_Grecian

Location : Looking into the eyes of the beholder, and all I can see are £££££ signs :-)

Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011 Empty
PostSubject: Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011   Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 2:03 pm

There has been some great music released so far this year. Among my favourites are:

Go-Go Boots - Drive-By Truckers

Traivellers Joy - Emily Smith

Let England Shake - PJ Harvey

Bella - Teddy Thompson

The Secret Sisters - The Secret Sisters

Last Night On Earth = Noah And The Whale

Mali Denhou - Boubacar Traore

The King Is Dead - The Decemberists

Dust Bowl - Joe Bonamassa

Helplessness Blues - Fleet Foxes

The Visitation - Magnum

In Your Dreams - Stevie Nicks

John Wesley Harding - Thea Gilmore

Move Like This - The Cars

I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive - Steve Earle

You & I - The Pierces

This one is out June 13th, I'm lucky enough to have an advance copy, and is fast becoming my favourite

So Beautiful Or So What - Paul Simon

But my favourite so far this year is

No Witch - The Cave Singers

So what's your favourite release of 2011?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sandford_merlin

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011   Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 5:44 pm

Dust Bowl by Joe Bonnamassa is the only one from your list that I have - and a very good album it is.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011   Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 8:01 pm

Drive By truckers, qualiity!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011   Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 11:51 pm

Euthoric by Glasvegas

Superb
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011   Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 10:59 am

Not really into the music scene. Too lazy I suppose. Perhaps if I spent less time worrying about Argyle ? Love listening to classics down my local out here, Cream, Stones,Cocker etc and indulge in a spot of Karaoke, very occasionally.
I was lead singer in my college band circa 1969. I was the long haired, sexy lead singer...performed mainly Woodstock era covers.......... you wouldn't believe it to look at me now scratch
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011   Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 12:39 pm

Was in a skiffle group in the early fifties, playing Tea Chest and Washboard, Worried Man, John Henry, Tom Dooley and the like.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011   Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 1:25 pm

Favourite of the year: Blue - I can
Back to top Go down
Sandford_Grecian

Sandford_Grecian

Location : Looking into the eyes of the beholder, and all I can see are £££££ signs :-)

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011   Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 3:05 pm

Just got this one, and it really is very good, well worth searching out, especialy if you're looking for something different to the norm.

In Trance - Justin Adams & Juldeh Camara

Justin Adams came to prominence in the late 80's with Jah Wobble, and has since been guitarist with Robert Plant's Strange Sensation, as well as a solo artist & producer, (he produced Tinariwen's 1st opus). Justin is an English guitarist who plays in an African Styleee (Desert Blues), Juldeh Camara is a Gambian musician & Griot (Storyteller) it is a fabulous sounding album, released on Peter Gabriels 'Real World' label 9/10
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011   Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 7:26 pm

Sandford_Grecian wrote:
Just got this one, and it really is very good, well worth searching out, especialy if you're looking for something different to the norm.

In Trance - Justin Adams & Juldeh Camara

Justin Adams came to prominence in the late 80's with Jah Wobble, and has since been guitarist with Robert Plant's Strange Sensation, as well as a solo artist & producer, (he produced Tinariwen's 1st opus). Justin is an English guitarist who plays in an African Styleee (Desert Blues), Juldeh Camara is a Gambian musician & Griot (Storyteller) it is a fabulous sounding album, released on Peter Gabriels 'Real World' label 9/10

I like the Middle Eastern feel...................... all a bloke like me needs to top it off is a belly dancer or two !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011   Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 7:42 pm

I'm quite a music fan so I find these type of threads hard to respond to because I like pretty much everything and anything, but I do find that today's standards just don't tickle the pouch, it maybe an age thing!
Back to top Go down
Sandford_Grecian

Sandford_Grecian

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011   Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011 EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 12:27 pm

Santo Spirito Blues - Chris Rea if you can get hold of the deluxe edition then do so, 3 x awesome CD's from Mr Rea

Rockpango - Los Lonely Boys another superb blues rock album from the Texan boys
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011   Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011 EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 12:54 pm

Tony Joe White Shine, excellent low key blues and roots
Back to top Go down
Sandford_Grecian

Sandford_Grecian

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011   Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011 EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 1:04 pm

seadog wrote:
Tony Joe White Shine, excellent low key blues and roots

One of the most under rated singer song writers in the world.

Shine was however released in 2010 iirc lol!

Last edited by Sandford_Grecian on Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spilling)
Back to top Go down
Sandford_Grecian

Sandford_Grecian

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011   Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011 EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 2:10 pm

Just like the buses, since May iirc 'No Witch' by 'The Cave Singers' has been top of the pile for releases this year, then within a few days I come across two albums that have that WOW factor, and displace the previous mentioned from my no: 1 spot, those 2 are

Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa - Don't Explain
old school R&B, for the youngsters out there, that's Rhythm & Blues, (not rap & bollox), it also oozes soul man!!

An Appointment With Mr Yeats - The Waterboys
Possibly a career high water mark from them, oozes class from track 1 to 14
Back to top Go down
Sandford_Grecian

Sandford_Grecian

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011   Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011 EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 1:45 pm

Superheavy - SuperHeavy This new SuperGroup's debuit has really grown on me! Great fusion of Blues, soul, rock, reggae & world music, the Deluxe edition has 4 extra superb tracks on it, well worth outlaying that little extra cash for!!
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011   Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011 EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 2:35 pm

"Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa - Don't Explain" heard a track from them on this:

[url=Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa - Don't Explain]Salty Dog[/url]

2 hour podcast every week, I recommend it to you all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011   Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011 EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 3:27 pm

at the moment - "muziK" by Gilad Atzmon & the Orient House Ensemble
Back to top Go down
Sandford_Grecian

Sandford_Grecian

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011   Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011 EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 3:37 pm

funny man wrote:
at the moment - "muziK" by Gilad Atzmon & the Orient House Ensemble

I played a track of theirs on my radio show last week Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sandford_Grecian

Sandford_Grecian

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011   Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011 EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 11:29 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkZhNeaZCUY&feature=related

There have been some awesome blues released this year, here is just one of 'em

Open your mind and let your ears hear Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011   Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011 EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 11:44 am

Japanese Popstars, Control your allegience best album this year for me. Great collaberations with Robert Smith and Tom Smith from The Editors and this track which I love.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011   Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011 EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 12:53 pm

Gilad Atzmon in concert in our Arts Centre was the most exciting gig I have seen for some years. This is from his album "musik - Re-arranging the 20th Century". On stage he is vibrant, exciting, exhilarating and exhausting. His albums are more contemplative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY1Cs6CVu-o&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEDjgdjmCfA&feature=endscreen&NR=1

(I don't know how to do the illustrated link above).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011   Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011 EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 1:01 pm

funny man wrote:
Gilad Atzmon in concert in our Arts Centre was the most exciting gig I have seen for some years. This is from his album "musik - Re-arranging the 20th Century". On stage he is vibrant, exciting, exhilarating and exhausting. His albums are more contemplative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY1Cs6CVu-o&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEDjgdjmCfA&feature=endscreen&NR=1

(I don't know how to do the illustrated link above).

Not really my thing although I do think the saxophone is the coolest intrument. Read some of the comments and seems like this guy has some pretty controversial views and is a bit like Peter Ridsdale and Marmite, you either love them or hate them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011   Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011 EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 1:08 pm

He is an Israeli who has some very biting things to say about Zionism and (ahem) Israeli foreign policy. He describes his first feelings of discomfort when, as a soldier, he was required to "go" into a Palestinian refugee camp. Many of the accusations against him are that he is anti-semitic ( Rolling Eyes ). Having heard him talk, he is very careful to say that it is Zionism and the excesses of Israel's political/military stances he is against. He is also a PhD and all round clever clogs.

He also used to play with Ian Drury & The Blockheads. And plays with Sarah Gillespie. And has done a couple of albums with Robert Wyatt.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011   Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 11:23 pm

Best album of the year? Nero. You oldies wouldn't like it...dubstep.

Also quite like Noel Gallagher's stuff...and David Guetta's baselines are cropping up on a lot of songs I like!
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011   Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 7:06 am

Jeff Lang, oi Mock have a gander in Oz, young Oz chap, very good guitarist.

Langster

Carried in Mind
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011   Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011 Empty

Back to top Go down

Favourite Music Albums Released in 2011
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next