Go down 
+2
Mock Cuncher
Peggy
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Top Ten Albums of all time IYO Empty
PostSubject: Top Ten Albums of all time IYO   Top Ten Albums of all time IYO EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 9:45 pm

so if you were booted of atd and sent to a deserted island that i shall call plymouthvital football, what ten albums would you take with you to listen to for your whole time there?

for me i would ensure the ten albums on my i-pod would be

1) Oasis - (What's The Story) Morning Glory
2) Iron Maiden - Edward the Great
3) Keane - Hopes & Fears
4) Metallica- Black Album
5) The Smiths - The Queen is Dead!
6) Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
7) Travis - The Man Who
8,) The Killers - Hot Fuss
9) Manic Street Preachers - Forever Delayed
10) Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head

In truth i could take all the albums these ten bands made but ten is ten Smile

Last edited by Angry of Mayfair on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Albums of all time IYO   Top Ten Albums of all time IYO EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 9:59 pm

I will start it off with three

Rolled Gold -- The stones
Queen greatest hits
Brothers in arms -- Dire Straits

I will think more tomorrow
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Albums of all time IYO   Top Ten Albums of all time IYO EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:05 pm

No way am I going to get this down to ten. I'll perm any ten from these (today - it'd be different tomorrow)

Bowie - Station to Station
Vince Lee and the Big Combo - Call it What you Wanna
Marvin Gaye - What's going on
Magazine - Real Life (or maybe Secondhand Daylight)
Bruckner's Seventh
Underworld - Beaucoup Fish
Wire - Pink Flag
Shostakovich Fifth
Stranglers - The Raven
Amy Winehouse - Back to Black
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life
Frank Sinatra - anything, really
Billie Holiday - ditto
Happy Mondays - Pills and Thrills and Bellyache
Ian Dury - New Boots and Panties
The Bothy Band - Best of
Count Basie - anything
Kraftwerk - Computer World
Revolutionary Dub Warriors - Revolutionary Dub Warriors
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks

I'm taking a handful of singles, too, including You're a Lady by Peter Skellern.

All on vinyl, naturally.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Albums of all time IYO   Top Ten Albums of all time IYO EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:05 pm

Sgt Pepper's - Beatles
Pet Sounds - Beach Boys
London Calling - The Clash
Exile on Main Street - Rolling Stones
The Sun Sessions - Elvis
Kind Of Blue - Miles Davis
Blue - Joni Mitchell
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
Never Mind The Bollocks - Sex Pistols
Rhapsody in Blue - Gershwin
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Albums of all time IYO   Top Ten Albums of all time IYO EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:06 pm

Bugger! I forgot to put Abbey Road on Embarassed

Edit: And I want most of Gert's as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Albums of all time IYO   Top Ten Albums of all time IYO EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:19 pm

1. the STONE ROSES
2. DEXYS - searching for the young soul rebels
3. the SMITHS - the queen is dead
4. DEPECHE MODE - violater
5, the SPECIALS
6.LED ZEPPELIN 2
7.PUBLIC ENEMY - it takes a nation of millions
8.DAVID BOWIE - hunky dory
9.NEW ORDER - technique
10. the CLASH - sandanista

i think this thread could run and run bounce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Albums of all time IYO   Top Ten Albums of all time IYO EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:36 pm

Beggars Banquet. The Stones.
From the secret Laboratory. Lee Scratch Perry and Dub Syndcate.
Still Bill. Bill Withers.
The Stone Roses.
Lust For Life. Iggy Pop.
Apostrophe. Frank Zappa.
Revolver. The Beatles.
Leaders Of The Free World. Elbow.
Safe As Milk. Captain Beefheart and his magic band.
Now That's What I call Music '89.

Should have some Bowie in there, Hendrix, Islay Brothers, Cream, Led Zep, Pink Floyd.........."........
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Albums of all time IYO   Top Ten Albums of all time IYO EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:39 pm

Just do what I'm doing, Iggy - ditch the clothes and stuff and fill the suitcase with records!

(And lots of books.)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Albums of all time IYO   Top Ten Albums of all time IYO EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:46 pm

i picked up THE WALL,HOUSES OF THE HOLY and CODA albums in a charity shop today, 50 p each Laughing bounce lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Albums of all time IYO   Top Ten Albums of all time IYO EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:49 pm

Peggy * wrote:
Just do what I'm doing, Iggy - ditch the clothes and stuff and fill the suitcase with records!

(And lots of books.)

if you were booted off from here you wouldnt havve time to pack and 2face's website dont like to be kept waiting Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Albums of all time IYO   Top Ten Albums of all time IYO EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 11:06 pm

I think I would have to cheat and have some greatest hits albums to make the choice easier.

I would definitely have compilations of Muse, The Who, Athlete, Pink Floyd, The Jam/Paul Weller/Style Council, The Stone Roses, Stereophonics and The Chemical Brothers, with Attack of the Grey Lantern by Mansun and Forever Faithless.

That means not having The Manic Street Preachers, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks, Steve Miller Band, The Charlatans, Pulp, The Specials, The Smiths, The Cure, Radiohead, Turin Brakes, The Stranglers, Foo Fighters or Oasis/Noel's new band, which is pretty depressing really Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Albums of all time IYO   Top Ten Albums of all time IYO EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 11:30 pm

Schubert/Dietrich Fischer-Diskau & Gerald Moore - Winterreise
David Bowie - Ziggie Stardust
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Fred Astaire - Songs
Bach/Glenn Gould - Goldberg Variations
Stravinsky/Leonard Bernstein - Rite of Spring
Mahler/Simon Rattle - 5th Symphony
Miles Davis/Bizet - Porgy & Bess
Bizet/Tilson-Thomas - Porgy & Bess
Beatles - Abbey Road
Tom Waits - Blue Valentine

Ask me tomorrow and a different 10.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Albums of all time IYO   Top Ten Albums of all time IYO EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 12:34 am

In My Mind - The Cheeky Girls
Playing With Fire - Kevin Federline
Crazy Hits - Crazy Frog
Funny How Sweet Co-Co Can Be - The Sweet
Dance With Me - Reginald Bosanquet
The Millennium Prayer - Cliff Richard
Buzz - Steps
Bombalurina - Timmy Mallett
Solo - Brian Harvey
Ma! (He's Making Eyes At Me) - Lena Zavaroni
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Albums of all time IYO   Top Ten Albums of all time IYO EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 7:14 am

Radiohead - The Bends (strangely OK Computer always gets featured in the top 100 lists - The Bends is a million miles better)
Bjork - Post (not a single track is a skipper - that's unusual for a Bjork album as there's usually a few tracks that are very difficult to listen to/too experimental)
Roni Size/Reprazent - Reprazent (it's like a drum n' bass opera and it's a genre that is British - we invented it, nobody else can do it better and Roni Size is one of the most talented British musicians of all time - this made drum n' bass mainstream)
Anthrax - Sound of White Noise (the first album John Bush did with Anthrax - it's heavy - again, no skippers - amazing production)
System of A Down - Hypnotize (I love this band and rather than make a commercial album after they had a hit with their debut, they went almost opera with this - it's hard to pin a genre on this)
Jurrasic 5 - Jurrasic 5

Shit - got to go to work.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Albums of all time IYO   Top Ten Albums of all time IYO EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 7:43 am

Dusty in Memphis
Oasis - definitely maybe
Stone roses
Exile on Main Street
Led zeppelin 2
Who's Next
Beach boys pet sounds
Rubber soul or revolver
The wailers - catch a fire
Air - moon safari
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Albums of all time IYO   Top Ten Albums of all time IYO EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 8:23 am

Forever Faithless is a great shout.

Gonna echo The Clash - London Calling.

Also add in The Libertines.

I preferred OK Comp, hairy, just for Exit Music really.

Muse' Hullabaloo is excellent.

Gonna mention Royksopp as my favourite indie/electronica act, but wouldnt be able to narrow it down to a particular album...

Then a whole load of others...
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Flat_Track_Bully

Flat_Track_Bully

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Albums of all time IYO   Top Ten Albums of all time IYO EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 8:27 am

hairy j wrote:
Radiohead - The Bends (strangely OK Computer always gets featured in the top 100 lists - The Bends is a million miles better)

I'm glad it's not just me who thinks that! Not sure it would get in my top ten though.

Off the top of my head..

Holy Bible - Manic Street Preachers (Unbelievable listening to this in light of the turgid dad-rock they churn out these days)!
Mule Variations - Tom Waits
White Pony - Deftones
So tonight that I might see - Mazzy Star
Rage Against the machine - Rage Against The Machine
Third - Portishead
Secret House Against The World - Buck 65
Toxicity - System Of A Down
Taxidermy - Queen Adreena
Now I'm a cowboy - The Auteurs

Will probably remember a few other great ones just after I post this. There's probably at least 5 Tom Waits album I could put in there.

Back to top Go down
http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/
Peggy

Peggy

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Albums of all time IYO   Top Ten Albums of all time IYO EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 8:59 am

Today's ten:

Wire - Pink Flag
Joy Division - Closer
Leftfield - Leftism
RL Burnside - Come On In
The Skids - Scared to Dance
The Clash - Sandinista
Banco de Gaia - Iziqeh
Bent - The Everlasting Blink
Transglobal Underground - Yes Boss Food Corner
Orbital - the brown one
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Albums of all time IYO   Top Ten Albums of all time IYO EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 9:00 am

Flat_Track_Bully wrote:

Third - Portishead
Yah yah, fore shore.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Albums of all time IYO   Top Ten Albums of all time IYO EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 9:08 am

It amazes me the amount of cred that Oasis gets, I dont mind a bit of it and great live show, but top ten in about forty percent of people who posted here, wow.
I nearly had Boys don't cry by the Cure, and some Clash Is hard to leave out as is Marley, also Dummy by Portishead, never listened to third I must give it a go. I worked for Beth Givens from Portishead and shes lovely, she has got a home recording studio and was doing some work with the guy from talk talk, her voice is incredible, a real talent.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Albums of all time IYO   Top Ten Albums of all time IYO EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 10:05 am

Oasis have done some great stuff Iggy. Definitely Maybe is a classic album and easily their best, I can't stand Wonderwall and a few others, but they have had a few cracking tunes on other albums as well.

I can't really say that my list is my top ten because there are albums for different moods. Somedays I like a bit of Pendulum, Chemical Brothers or Japanese Popstars but the next I'll listen to Elvis Costello or Turin Brakes.

I love Pink Floyd and could play it most days without getting bored but another day and I want short snappy stuff like The Vaccines or The Specials.

Radiohead feature on lots of lists as well but for me half of their stuff is awful and the rest is brilliant so it's hard to say they're one of my favourite bands. The Doors are another band that I could quite happily never hear another track by them yet they are regarded as amazing. Maybe you had to be around at the time?

If I was pushed to say what album would you have if it was the only album you could keep I could cheat and say HAARP by Muse as it's them recorded live at Wembley, or Delicate Sound of Thunder which is Pink Floyd live, but for studio albums then I would lean towards Attack of the Grey Lantern by Mansun, Word Get's Around by Stereophonics or Vehicles and Animals by Athlete, all debut albums because I believe that a big percentage of the best music is created when the band are unknown and hungry. Hard for a multi-millionaire group to sing about struggling on the dole or being homeless.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Albums of all time IYO   Top Ten Albums of all time IYO EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 10:32 am

What Oasis did was put guitar music back in the pubs and clubs. For years indie was the domain of scruffy students and the 'gothiks' and the charts were crammed with horrid dance music. Definately maybe was a seminal album which changed the music landscape forever, not music because every track sounds like something you heard years ago.

I am always amazed that Dusty in Memphis isnt mentioned as much. Unfortunately she was Sort of damned by her association to fab Swinging London and some dodgy choices lot material previously for it to be taken seriously but Its a wonderful album by one of the all time greats
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Albums of all time IYO   Top Ten Albums of all time IYO EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 10:37 am

never heard the album so Im listening to that mansun lp at the mo. track one = all about eve 'phased', next two are awesome tracks. i'll give you my views as the lp progresses
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Albums of all time IYO   Top Ten Albums of all time IYO EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 10:54 am

starting to sound like elvis costello.....

not a bad thing
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Albums of all time IYO   Top Ten Albums of all time IYO EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 10:58 am

Mapperley, darling wrote:
starting to sound like elvis costello.....

not a bad thing

Stripper Vicar soon then.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Albums of all time IYO   Top Ten Albums of all time IYO Empty

Back to top Go down

Top Ten Albums of all time IYO
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next