simao
Charlie Wood
Czarcasm
GreenWhiteBlack
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

The Next Manager should be.... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Next Manager should be....   The Next Manager should be.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 10:49 am

I would be a little concerned that Newell's appointment as manager may interfere with his first priority as the owners chauffeur & Internet media publicist, not to mention his charity work.
Back to top Go down
merse

PostSubject: Re: The Next Manager should be....   The Next Manager should be.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 11:05 am

Czarcasm wrote:
Ling. He'd be cheap(ish), and is demonstrably light years ahead of Fletcher, with a fraction of the budget.

Why the feck would Martin Ling want to make a move like that? He's got a good job, is not seeking to make a move to somewhere with many more problems and a far inferior club ownership to employ him. I don't know how many of you know this, but he still maintains his family home in Hertfordshire and stays at his sisters in Exeter in order to do the Torquay job, so in reality the only sort of job that would lead him to seriously consider quitting Plainmoor would be with a club nearer home with a genuine commitment to playing the sort of football he does and has a demonstratable patience threshold and youth structure in place that would enable him to blood the sort of youngsters you see him doing at Torquay United.

To think he'd consider such a thing is to further emphasize the delusion of the Argyle faithful. Look for an experienced Conference manager who has been a success at that level like Terry Brown. If the right facilities and resources are made available, then a manager such as this can work on a proper League 2 type budget, it doesn't need to be excessive or out of sync with the modest 6,000 average support base. Others who who spring to mind are Graham Allner, Gary Simpson or Sammy McIlroy. They've been there, done it; worn the tee shirt AND been successful at it which is more to the point.

Leroy Rosenior? No way, good coach, nice fella but a poor organiser and manager of resources who insists on commuting to his jobs from his Portishead home whether that be Torquay or Brentford ~ he's been found out and earns his living in the media these days anyway suplemented by some academy coaching.

For God's sake, when clubs like Plymouth Argyle appoint managers they need someone on the board with a bit of insight, a lot of contacts and genuine football outlook on life.

Last edited by merse on Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Next Manager should be....   The Next Manager should be.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 11:05 am

Knowing Brent we'd end up with Dane Bunney
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Next Manager should be....   The Next Manager should be.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 11:08 am

Yea Man wrote:

20 personalities for the price of 1. Sounds about right. cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Next Manager should be....   The Next Manager should be.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 11:11 am

Yea Man wrote:

Well he is qualified. Cullompton lost 8-1 at home on Tuesday and he's fighting a relegation battle Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
merse

PostSubject: Re: The Next Manager should be....   The Next Manager should be.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 11:12 am

Colin Wanker would be cheap mind you ~ he'd play with himself! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: The Next Manager should be....   The Next Manager should be.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 11:35 am

merse wrote:
Colin Wanker would be cheap mind you ~ he'd play with himself! Laughing

If you consider what was widely reported as a considerable seven figure sum to come here after getting sacked by QPR, as cheap, then you're off your rocker.

A modicum of success in this division would see us getting gates (at least) in excess of three times what Torquay get.

Three times the gate = three times the budget. (Ok yeah, I know we still have historical debt etc.)

Three times the budget could quite comfortably see Ling offered twice the salary he's on now.

Merse, if you think Ling wouldn't crawl on bended knee all the way to Home Park for that, and a chance to lead a club proven to be able to sustain Championship football, then you are the delusional one!
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: The Next Manager should be....   The Next Manager should be.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 11:47 am

I actually think Newell would make a good appointment- then Nikkk could buy us a few players!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Next Manager should be....   The Next Manager should be.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 11:57 am

Chemical Ali wrote:
I actually think Newell would make a good appointment- then Nikkk could buy us a few players!

I noticed in Tuesday's programme that Alex Macdonald is sponsored by 'Nik Chris and Ian'. scratch
Back to top Go down
merse

PostSubject: Re: The Next Manager should be....   The Next Manager should be.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 1:31 pm

[quote="Czarcasm"]
merse wrote:
Merse, if you think Ling wouldn't crawl on bended knee all the way to Home Park for that, and a chance to lead a club proven to be able to sustain Championship football, then you are the delusional one!

As I said, deluded; where has your Billy Big Bollocks mentality got you in recent years then?
Back to top Go down
Sandford_Grecian

Sandford_Grecian

Location : Looking into the eyes of the beholder, and all I can see are £££££ signs :-)

PostSubject: Re: The Next Manager should be....   The Next Manager should be.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 2:31 pm

[quote="merse"]
Czarcasm wrote:
merse wrote:

As I said, deluded; where has your Billy Big Bollocks mentality got you in recent years then?
lol!

Ling would not look down, if he were to be after a move, which he is not, he'll take Torquay up within 2 more years, then he'll move on... upwards!! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sandford_merlin

PostSubject: Re: The Next Manager should be....   The Next Manager should be.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 4:23 pm

Luggy Wink
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: The Next Manager should be....   The Next Manager should be.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 4:42 pm

I wouldn't want Ling as manager, he sounds like a crap fish Laughing
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: The Next Manager should be....   The Next Manager should be.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 7:01 pm

I wouldn't exactly rule out Ling wanting to come here. Bigger budget to spend on players, bigger potential to take us up through the leagues, bigger basic salary for himself and his family too. He'd only have to get up half an hour earlier if he's staying in Exeter.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: The Next Manager should be....   The Next Manager should be.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 7:16 pm

[quote="merse"]
Czarcasm wrote:
merse wrote:

With respect, merely pointing out the vast difference in fanbase, budget, and salary potential between us and Torquay, hardly qualifies as Billy Big bollocks...lol

Basic maths and common sense is all that's really needed.
Back to top Go down
merse

PostSubject: Re: The Next Manager should be....   The Next Manager should be.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 8:10 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
With respect, merely pointing out the vast difference in fanbase, budget, and salary potential between us and Torquay, hardly qualifies as Billy Big bollocks...lol

Basic maths and common sense is all that's really needed.

It's not a career move though is it, it's a move downwards for (possibly) a bigger salary. Argyle have historical form for not knowing how to spend their supposedly big budget properly.................the free fall from Championship to League 2's basement proves that. Therefore the fan base means nothing and average crowds of six thousand is hardly stunning is it? Plenty of clubs can beat that at this level, Bradford City, Rotherham, Oxford United in League 2 to name just three. Swindon post Di Canio, where Ling and Shaun Taylor are highly thought of would be a likely destination for them if they came calling. Argyle are not in Swindon's league by a long chalk and you know that.

Basic maths regarding a bigger salary ~ possibly, but common sense in a football concept? Since when did being a Plymouth Argyle manager in League 2 suddenly become "common sense" when foresaking a better footballing infrastructure, better class of employers (football orientated directors versus a property speculator) and a crowd who recognise and appreciate the limitations of their club's lot compared with a bunch of delusionists who think they're supporting a "big " club and an owner who cleary knows nothing about football. Rolling Eyes

It's the type of job that would attract someone trying to make a mark in the game as Fletcher is doing ~ those are the harsh truths you have to face up to; and the truth is you DO need the sort of experienced manager I pointed out to you earlier; so if you're looking for experience you will only get it from amongst those out of work or seeking a raise in football status..

At his age, I bet you when Ling does depart it will be to a really big club as part of their development programme: think Tottenham Hotspur and the path that Alex Inglethorpe took and Reading where Eamon Dolan now works in that field. Any intelligent and experienced football professional will tell you there is far more salary and security doing a job like Inglethorpe' or Dolan's than dicing with the sack and long periods between jobs in the lower leagues for decidedly average money.

Last edited by merse on Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:30 pm; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Next Manager should be....   The Next Manager should be.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 8:14 pm

We always used to take torquays players and managers, but its so village! x
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Next Manager should be....   The Next Manager should be.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 8:25 pm

merse I have a serious question for you about attendances. Did you google it for the answer?

I just did and Argyle sit 4th behind..........the three you mentioned although the 3rd team only average around 60 more bums on seats. Plenty of clubs can beat Argyle for attendances in League 2?????? Torquay average 3000 less than Argyle.

I'm not arguing with your Ling wouldn't want to come here just your facts about finances and crowds.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Next Manager should be....   The Next Manager should be.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 8:30 pm

would be very happy to see Paul Ince join us
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: The Next Manager should be....   The Next Manager should be.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 9:03 pm

Hypothetically, if all clubs were showing the same levels in terms of form and results, only Bradford would possibly top Argyle for attendance. Which is no disgrace or surprise for a team in a city of over 400,000, that were giving season tickets away for silly money.

So yeah, when you consider the perpetual downward spiral we've had, losing 10,000 regulars fron our Zenith Championship season average of 16,700, then the fact that more than 6k still turn up to watch utter garbage week in, week out, is actually a quite decent following.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Next Manager should be....   The Next Manager should be.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 9:08 pm

I remember thinking why did Sturrock want to join Southampton when he had done so much for us. We were virtually into the Championship when he left, and Southampton were constantly battling relegation from the Premier League.

At the time I thought we would probably cross swords the following season and he was missing a chance to be part of something special.

The bottom line was money, and like it or not Merse, if we came calling for Martin Ling it would be for a darned sight more than he's on now and if the owner would open his substantial wallet, we could promise him decent funds to create his own team here.

I used to believe in loyalty but it doesn't really exist in football anymore and I would say Ling would come if given the opportunity. That's not being Billy Big Bollox, it's being realistic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Next Manager should be....   The Next Manager should be.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 9:21 pm

Pitbull wrote:

Don't think he'd come.

We're even smaller now than when he called us little Plymouth in the Championship.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: The Next Manager should be....   The Next Manager should be.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 9:26 pm

dont forget the 10k at bradford pay 100/150 a season for the privledge.
argyle fans pay more the 2.5 times that amount ! affraid
Back to top Go down
merse

PostSubject: Re: The Next Manager should be....   The Next Manager should be.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 10:09 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
merse I have a serious question for you about attendances. Did you google it for the answer?
I'm not arguing with your Ling wouldn't want to come here just your facts about finances and crowds.

Although I frequently use Google for research, this time I did not ~ I just knew that those clubs are better supported.

Martin Ling is just not the sort who would go chasing the dollar to the detriment of either his CV or long term security in the game. He worked for a very patient and loyal chairman in Barry Hearn at Orient and then for an absolute nightmare (he actually quit after just nine days in the job) in George Rolls at Cambridge; so I know he appreciates the genuine quality of board he has at Torquay even if he has had to galvanise them into thinking his way on the matter of urgency to get the job of rectifying the training ground problem underway.

The days of Argyle plundering a little old Torquay are gone ~ hopefully forever. I worked in professional football myself thirty years ago and believe me it is NOT all about money and short term opportunism, and I worked for a diamond of a chairman. The world of professional football is a nightmare of desperately poor employers and insecurity brought about by presssure of results and a finicky public. The privilege of working for a genuinely good bunch is worth a lot believe me. I enjoyed my eight years in the game, I have never wished to return to it though. All the enjoyment and participation I now get from football lays in player development and supporting my young son in his own efforts to be a professional footballer by way of mentoring him, transporting him and encouraging him to focus on the job in hand.

Managers are not players who by the very insecurity, exposure to injury and father time HAVE to maximise their earning potential in a short time span, managers can enjoy a lengthy career in the game if not always as managers; but directors of football or heading up development or scouting programmes once they have made their name as those tormented souls one sees in the technical areas.

Last edited by merse on Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: The Next Manager should be....   The Next Manager should be.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 10:16 pm

Pitbull wrote:

Don't want him. Anyone but him!

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Next Manager should be....   The Next Manager should be.... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Next Manager should be....
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2