Dougie
Tringreen
Tgwu
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Chemical Ali

TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 5:37 pm

On radio Plymouth last week JB said that the bobbys garden corner would be covered and connected to the Devonport. The other corner with barn park will be left open for service access.

JB also talked about potentially adding to the capacity of the stadium (I think i read, a second tier could be added to the lyndhurst) if required in the future, as Brighton are doing this season with the Amex. I think he also said that Plans might potentially be released end of the year/ early 2013.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 11:02 pm

Greenjock wrote:
oddball wrote:
So a bit of income from a stand is going to be the universal panacea to solving Argyle's financial problems.True you may get the odd banquet,wedding reception,but dont forget Brent's hotel will be right alongside competing for business as will all the hotels that are planned to be built in the city centre.Plus all these fancy restaurants on the Hoe waterfront,and Royal william Yard.They will all be doing banquets,conferences,wedding receptions.The extra revenue streams from the new stand wont amount to very much at all.In fact if the current drinks prices being charged in the argyle business lounge are anything to go by,then businesses may well avoid it.

Too true. There aren't enough zeezan's who would love to be proposed to at halftime against Torquay, whilst standing in the centre circle OMG, and have the reception at a fanfest or in the grandstand in June to avoid missing a game when the happy couple are on honeymoon.

That's not a dig at zz, I just mean she would be in a small minority of women who would want her wedding at home park. There are plenty of guys who think it would be a great idea, just watch don't tell the bride. One guy arranged to have the wedding at Alton towers. The bride was far from happy!

Becky (RIP) used to have alot to say about the value of conference facilities to the football club. She argued that it would be a difficult sell and not raise alot of money. However I think JB has been thinking about how much Exeter Chiefs bring in function catering and beer money. I think I read it was in the region of 700k a year and of course Argyle would be expected to do better.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 7:24 am

Dougie wrote:
Greenjock wrote:
oddball wrote:
So a bit of income from a stand is going to be the universal panacea to solving Argyle's financial problems.True you may get the odd banquet,wedding reception,but dont forget Brent's hotel will be right alongside competing for business as will all the hotels that are planned to be built in the city centre.Plus all these fancy restaurants on the Hoe waterfront,and Royal william Yard.They will all be doing banquets,conferences,wedding receptions.The extra revenue streams from the new stand wont amount to very much at all.In fact if the current drinks prices being charged in the argyle business lounge are anything to go by,then businesses may well avoid it.

Too true. There aren't enough zeezan's who would love to be proposed to at halftime against Torquay, whilst standing in the centre circle OMG, and have the reception at a fanfest or in the grandstand in June to avoid missing a game when the happy couple are on honeymoon.

That's not a dig at zz, I just mean she would be in a small minority of women who would want her wedding at home park. There are plenty of guys who think it would be a great idea, just watch don't tell the bride. One guy arranged to have the wedding at Alton towers. The bride was far from happy!

Becky (RIP) used to have alot to say about the value of conference facilities to the football club. She argued that it would be a difficult sell and not raise alot of money. However I think JB has been thinking about how much Exeter Chiefs bring in function catering and beer money. I think I read it was in the region of 700k a year and of course Argyle would be expected to do better.

Another reason to groundshare with Albion.

Rugby people can be trusted to drink anywhere in the stadium. drunken
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 7:34 am

You don't want Rugby anywhere near Home Park.

Before you know it, PAFC will also be sharing training facilities and Argyle will finally wake up one day to find out they are second fiddle in their own home.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 8:01 am

Chemical Ali wrote:
On radio Plymouth last week JB said that the bobbys garden corner would be covered and connected to the Devonport. The other corner with barn park will be left open for service access.

JB also talked about potentially adding to the capacity of the stadium (I think i read, a second tier could be added to the lyndhurst) if required in the future, as Brighton are doing this season with the Amex. I think he also said that Plans might potentially be released end of the year/ early 2013.

It is open in that the roof won't join up. This image was published in the Herald in June - second image on the site.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Here's a bigger version.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 8:09 am

Big queue to get in. By the time it's finished this is what our home games will look like. SORT OUT THE TEAM BRENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 8:12 am

Freathy wrote:
Big queue to get in. By the time it's finished this is what our home games will look like. SORT OUT THE TEAM BRENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 8:27 am

He does seem to think that there are literally thousands of pasty munching janners out there, who can't wait to part with their hard earned cash to watch inept lower league football.
Must be something to do with the impression given to him by his supposed tribal leaders.

Like kids let loose in a sweet shop .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 9:26 am

Tringreen wrote:
He does seem to think that there are literally thousands of pasty munching janners out there, who can't wait to part with their hard earned cash to watch inept lower league football.
Must be something to do with the impression given to him by his supposed tribal leaders.

Completely irrelevant. The current grandstand, empty Mayflower and the building behind the grandstand are not conducive to a 'successful' football club. Successful doesn't mean winning the Champions League final every single year; there's a fair amount of successful football clubs in this country that don't win anything. Having a club that's well supported, has a decent, modern ground that generates income on non-match days and a club that can be self sufficient is a success. Once that is in place, I am sure the team will improve (with or without Carl Fletcher) and we'll get back to where we all want us to be.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 9:54 am

hairy j wrote:
Tringreen wrote:

Completely irrelevant. The current grandstand, empty Mayflower and the building behind the grandstand are not conducive to a 'successful' football club. Successful doesn't mean winning the Champions League final every single year; there's a fair amount of successful football clubs in this country that don't win anything. Having a club that's well supported, has a decent, modern ground that generates income on non-match days and a club that can be self sufficient is a success. Once that is in place, I am sure the team will improve (with or without Carl Fletcher) and we'll get back to where we all want us to be.

So what would your criteria for success as far as on the field Argyle is concerned? Some of us believe that a city of this size,with a catchment area as good as anyones,should have spent at least some time in the top level of English football by now.In order to do that,fairly obviously you have to win promotion from the second tier,which i would suggest rather alters the perspective that successful clubs don't necessarily win anything-clubs of a similar size such as Norwich,Southampton,Coventry,Swansea,Reading etc have certainly won things higher up the scale than Argyle and you can bet your bottom dollar that if on field success did not come Argyle's way,then the stand would remain very much under utilised on match days in the long term.

BTW,do you have any forecasts,basic or otherwise,of how much income the new facilities would bring in? One of the biggest gripes i had with the organic growth brigade was that althouh they assured us that the projected facilities would make a material difference to the clubs progress,not a single projection of exactly how much revenue would be accrued was ever put forward,which made the proposals foggy and unsupportable as far as i was concerned-how could you possibly say if a policy is the way forward without at least some basic information about it's viability? Just wondering if there has been any work done to produce at least an estimate of how much this is worth to the club.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 10:01 am

Greenskin wrote:
hairy j wrote:
Tringreen wrote:

So what would your criteria for success as far as on the field Argyle is concerned? Some of us believe that a city of this size,with a catchment area as good as anyones,should have spent at least some time in the top level of English football by now.In order to do that,fairly obviously you have to win promotion from the second tier,which i would suggest rather alters the perspective that successful clubs don't necessarily win anything-clubs of a similar size such as Norwich,Southampton,Coventry,Swansea,Reading etc have certainly won things higher up the scale than Argyle and you can bet your bottom dollar that if on field success did not come Argyle's way,then the stand would remain very much under utilised on match days in the long term.

BTW,do you have any forecasts,basic or otherwise,of how much income the new facilities would bring in? One of the biggest gripes i had with the organic growth brigade was that althouh they assured us that the projected facilities would make a material difference to the clubs progress,not a single projection of exactly how much revenue would be accrued was ever put forward,which made the proposals foggy and unsupportable as far as i was concerned-how could you possibly say if a policy is the way forward without at least some basic information about it's viability? Just wondering if there has been any work done to produce at least an estimate of how much this is worth to the club.

Nail on head GS, but not to worry, the next administration and unlucky creditors will sort that out.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 10:14 am

in the football world you have GOT to spend money & plenty of it to achieve success.

those we currently look too for bench marks to aim for Soton, Swansea & Norwich will all find themselves in the mire with relegation from the top flight.

Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 10:22 am

GregCampbellFanClub wrote:
in the football world you have GOT to spend money & plenty of it to achieve success.

those we currently look too for bench marks to aim for Soton, Swansea & Norwich will all find themselves in the mire with relegation from the top flight.

Possibly so,but trying to avoid relegation from the top flight is still more succcessful than Argyle have ever been,surely thats the point?
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 10:30 am

cant disagree with that GS.

All 3 i mentioned made 3 excellent management appointments where as we er didnt.
Back to top Go down
IanIsInnocent

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 10:31 am

Why not just support Brent, afterall the man did save the club. Along with Chris Webb and Ian
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 10:31 am

It's hard when they talk about turnover rather than profit but Exeter Chiefs new ground makes enough to cover day to day running costs and overheads.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 10:33 am

So some fans wouldn't want us to emulate Swansea and have at least a couple of the seasons in the big time because of some possible, though certainly not probable, financial difficulties around being relegated from the Prem? Unless I'm mistaken Blackpool haven't suffered badly since being relegated. And it's better to have loved and lost and all that.....
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 10:39 am

The trick is to buy up & coming talent who will still be salebale assets rather spend a fortune on ageing duds, who demand huge contracts then do one.

Back to top Go down
Thai green

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 11:17 am

I do hope 'they' incorporate a lift system into the new Grandstand. As a disabled person it's not easy right now to get to your seat in the Grandstand. I cannot wait for this outdated uncomfortable and disabled unfriendly Grandstand to be knocked down.

Yes the time is right to finish Home Park.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 11:26 am

I want to see argyle in the top flight before the grim reaper appears at my door, i.m fifty two now brent so pull your finger out, stop talking about finishing the fvcking ground off and get on with it!sort out proper training facilities for the twenty first century, sack that useless manager, stop signing wank substandard non league players, get rid of the fat hangers on in the directors box, and last but not least get rid of those fvcking mickey mouse bungalows by the side of the pitch! it not much to ask for is it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 11:29 am

I really hate really wide threads.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 11:34 am

There are other big cities who have underachieving clubs. Bristol is a case in point. City did get into a play off final fairly recently but other than that, you have to go back to the 70s to see any kind of real success - they finished 13th in 1979. Bristol do have two clubs but they have a population of 430,000 and a massive catchment area just outside of the city. Rovers best finish was 6th in the second tier in 1959.

Just because you have a large population, doesn't mean you will automatically get massive crowds.

Interesting in terms of population - Walsall and Rotherham and Stockport are all larger in terms of population. They have bigger clubs nearby but they're still places with underachieving clubs who have that 'potential' to be very well supported.

GOB wrote:
I really hate really wide threads.

Apologies for the big image but I thought people would like to see a larger version than what was shown on the Herald website.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 11:37 am

Spot on Hairy, success dictates the crowd size, sustained success ensures it.

Considering Argyle's continuous pish poor record it's a miracle that anyone bothers to turn up at all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 11:43 am

Thai green wrote:
I do hope 'they' incorporate a lift system into the new Grandstand. As a disabled person it's not easy right now to get to your seat in the Grandstand. I cannot wait for this outdated uncomfortable and disabled unfriendly Grandstand to be knocked down.

Yes the time is right to finish Home Park.

It's often said that we should aspire to Norwich City's success as a 'smaller' club. Their facilities for supporters with disabilities are excellent. I hope we aspire to that sort of excellence. Excellent.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 11:46 am

GOB wrote:
Spot on Hairy, success dictates the crowd size, sustained success ensures it.

Considering Argyle's continuous pish poor record it's a miracle that anyone bothers to turn up at all.

It's the SLEEPING GIANT myth and the catchment area myth.

There's a million and one reasons why we don't fill the ground every home game but one of those reasons isn't the "apathetic janner" that, we as Argyle fans, seem to believe exists.

How many people who live in Plymouth are from Plymouth?
How many of those like football?
How many of those can afford the time and money to attend regularly?
How many of those want to go?

I know we have the Cornish contingent but the above list is the core support at Home Park and it's not this 20,000 people that James Brent/Chris Webb seem to think it is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next