Dougie
Tringreen
Tgwu
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Tgwu

TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK Empty
PostSubject: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 6:50 am

WORK on building a new and much-needed grandstand at Home Park will take longer than a season to complete, Plymouth Argyle's owner and chairman James Brent has admitted.

A planning application is set to be submitted to Plymouth City Council – the stadium's owners – by the end of this year, or early in 2013.

If that is approved, work on the new grandstand could start during the second half of next year.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 7:06 am

I have no problem with this at all. The proposed schedule is as you would expect. The grandstand is the major element for Argyle fans but for those that live in Plymouth, it'll improve that local area, create jobs and provide some unique leisure facilities. I've been pretty negative about a lot of what James Brent has put forward (sometimes just for comedic effect) but this is really positive.

The Life Centre is a decent enough facility but it's a little out of the way and once you'd had your swim/exercise, there's nothing in the local area to do after you've finished there - this will change that. In addition, I think we'll see further improvements to central park off the back of this too... it's all good news.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 8:06 am

When all the building is done Central Park will become the sporting mecca of the city. I really wish that Albion could share in HP as this 'could' close the loop for sport in the area and extend the use of the ground/new facilities no end. Predictions of a 2nd financial collapse could scupper all the good intentions but that the world we live in, doh.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 8:14 am

Whilst people say a new grandstand is much needed so is success on the pitch.Could be a huge white elephant.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 8:15 am

It's good to see more progress being made on this in under a year than Stapleton and Co managed in a decade. Brent does make quite a few qualifications, though. It would appear that the timetable for development is not set in stone, but like hairy I see this as a real positive. Whatever your other criticisms of JB, there's no doubt that, if he sets his mind to something, he gets it done.

Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 8:30 am

Jaytex2012 wrote:
When all the building is done Central Park will become the sporting mecca of the city. I really wish that Albion could share in HP as this 'could' close the loop for sport in the area and extend the use of the ground/new facilities no end. Predictions of a 2nd financial collapse could scupper all the good intentions but that the world we live in, doh.

I agree with Albion sharing, it makes sense financially and for the two clubs going forward. Premier league rugby is played at the likes of Reading, Watford and Wycombe, why not here ?
Cue the 'egg chasers' comments. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 10:38 am

Who is paying for it? Was it a requirement of two directors taking shares in the club that they build the grandstand? Or have I remembered that wrong?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 10:40 am

As a qualified egg chaser clown I have in the past always been against the sharing of the pitch because rugby tends to destroy any signs of grass, but now maybe the technology has improved to allow for a more toughened grass?

I don't consider the new grandstand as progress, it's just another piece of furniture that will commit us to lower league football for years to come and until we can afford to knock it down to build a bigger one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 11:03 am

Dougie wrote:
Who is paying for it? Was it a requirement of two directors taking shares in the club that they build the grandstand? Or have I remembered that wrong?

Technically Mr Brent/his pension fund is, I believe. It was part of the deal that gave him the car-park area. He paid for that plus committed to building the stand.

As I've said before, I don't see any justification for not filling in the two corners that would link the stand to the rest of the ground. That should have been done under this deal. As it is, I suspect the future development of the corners would be paid for by the club.

Nevertheless it is a very welcome development. There are to be all sorts of facilities there. It is part of his plan to make the club more self-sustaining in future years. That's good.
Back to top Go down
swampy

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 11:14 am

I thought one of the corners was to be filled in Knecht. I will be delighted when it's all finished. It will be a facility the club has needed for years, the extra income streams will be invaluable in the long term. I also don't have a problem with Albion playing at Home Park if there is sufficient financial benefit to Argyle.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 11:24 am

swampy wrote:
I thought one of the corners was to be filled in Knecht. I will be delighted when it's all finished. It will be a facility the club has needed for years, the extra income streams will be invaluable in the long term. I also don't have a problem with Albion playing at Home Park if there is sufficient financial benefit to Argyle.

I might be wrong - but I thought both corners would be missing. We'll see when the detailed plans are made public. At the meeting in the Cherry Tree he also said that they were looking at retaining the old turnstile entrances in some form.

I don't mind rugby being played there as long as they tidy up when they've finished.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 11:29 am

On the bright side, if we do ever reach the top of the Championship ever again and we're still there around the Christmas period, at least we won't get the "apathetic Janners" comment when the gate is only 18,000.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 11:44 am

knecht wrote:
Dougie wrote:

Technically Mr Brent/his pension fund is, I believe. It was part of the deal that gave him the car-park area. He paid for that plus committed to building the stand.

As I've said before, I don't see any justification for not filling in the two corners that would link the stand to the rest of the ground. That should have been done under this deal. As it is, I suspect the future development of the corners would be paid for by the club.

Nevertheless it is a very welcome development. There are to be all sorts of facilities there. It is part of his plan to make the club more self-sustaining in future years. That's good.

Quote :

Plymouth Argyle released the following statement on Friday, March 23:

PLYMOUTH ARGYLE FOOTBALL CLUB LIMITED (‘PAFC’): CAPITAL RAISE

Plymouth Argyle Football Club today announces that it has raised more than £700,000 in additional cash for the club.

This exceeds the amount that it had budgeted to raise at the time of acquisition by Akkeron Leisure in October last year.

The financial performance of the club is in line with the budget, despite a number of new players joining Plymouth Argyle.

The cash has been raised in two ways:

1. The sale of the car-park and surplus land at Higher Home Park for £425,000 (the District Valuer’s valuation) to a new company, the beneficial ownership of which is 82.5% owned by James Brent’s pension fund and the balance by Richard Holliday and Anthony Vaughan. Richard is a Director of the club, and Anthony is a leading London-based lawyer who was heavily involved in the acquisition of PAFC by Akkeron Leisure in October of last year; and

2. The issue of 5% per annum convertible securities to Mr Holliday (or his investment vehicle) and Mr Vaughan in an aggregate amount of c. £275,000. These securities are convertible into up to 14% of PAFC’s share capital.

The sale of the land achieves full value for PAFC. In addition, however, the new landowners have agreed either to:

 a) build a new grandstand for PAFC without charge; or

 b) give PAFC 50% of the overage profit it receives if it fails to do so.

James Brent, Chairman of Plymouth Argyle, said: “This transaction further strengthens the financial position of the club.

“In addition, it represents the next step in delivering to the football club a new grandstand of which the club, city and region can be proud.”

David Felwick, an Independent Director of Argyle, said: “The Independent Directors have reviewed these transactions in accordance with PAFC’s corporate governance regime.

“The football club has not only received full value for the land today but has also secured the right to have a new grandstand built or, failing that, receive profits from any development.

“In this way, Plymouth Argyle will receive benefit from any development but will bear none of the costs or risks associated with it.”

Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 1:13 pm

Plymouth Argyle Football Club today announces that they have further strengthened their budget sheet by £400000. This has been raised by the Argyle Trust who in return have received

Pretty much feck all

The independent directors have reviewed the transaction and concluded this has been a good move for the club.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 1:37 pm

knecht wrote:
swampy wrote:

I might be wrong - but I thought both corners would be missing. We'll see when the detailed plans are made public. At the meeting in the Cherry Tree he also said that they were looking at retaining the old turnstile entrances in some form.

I don't mind rugby being played there as long as they tidy up when they've finished.

The corners are open. It's not a round, circular stadium. I've seen the plans and it looks like a proper football stadium. James Brent gets a lot of stick on here but it's a fantastic complex of buildings - it really is. When they're released and open for public scrutiny, I would doubt anyone at all is going to be negative about them. Given the industry he's in, the build isn't in safer hands... although the squad and the playing/coaching staff... that's another matter.

Last edited by hairy j on Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 1:39 pm

Is there somewhere online we can view the plans, hairy?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 1:40 pm

Andy_Symons wrote:

Unfortunately not. I've seen them through work and I can't post them; just out of integrity really.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 2:14 pm

hairy j wrote:
Andy_Symons wrote:

Unfortunately not. I've seen them through work and I can't post them; just out of integrity really.

Could you not post them in dot to dot form that we can print off and complete ourselves, obviously some posters may need the help of a friend or family member, that way you've just posted a series of random dots.

Why I'm not snapped up by some global giant who need a problem solving/ fire-fighting Alex Polizzi type fixer is beyond me it really is scratch
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 2:27 pm

hairy j wrote:
knecht wrote:
swampy wrote:

The corners are open. It's not a round, circular stadium. I've seen the plans and it looks like a proper football stadium. James Brent gets a lot of stick on here but it's a fantastic complex of buildings - it really is. When they're released and open for public scrutiny, I would doubt anyone at all is going to be negative about them. Given the industry he's in, the build isn't in safer hands... although the squad and the playing/coaching staff... that's another matter.

Didn't i see on PASOTI the other day that only one corner was going to be left open? One good thing that may emerge on getting this done now is that, if and when we get to the CCC again, at least the organic growth argument can't be used for an excuse for not investing in the team properly and immediately this time.We shall see if the much vaunted panacea for Argyle's non progress is truly the way forward or if other means of funding will still need to be found.The latter i suspect,hopefully we shall be able to judge in the not too distant future.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 2:46 pm

So a bit of income from a stand is going to be the universal panacea to solving Argyle's financial problems.True you may get the odd banquet,wedding reception,but dont forget Brent's hotel will be right alongside competing for business as will all the hotels that are planned to be built in the city centre.Plus all these fancy restaurants on the Hoe waterfront,and Royal william Yard.They will all be doing banquets,conferences,wedding receptions.The extra revenue streams from the new stand wont amount to very much at all.In fact if the current drinks prices being charged in the argyle business lounge are anything to go by,then businesses may well avoid it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 2:55 pm

I dont mind the corners being open as long as they do something to tidy up that "bobbys garden" corner....friggin mess and an embarrassment.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 3:16 pm

oddball wrote:
So a bit of income from a stand is going to be the universal panacea to solving Argyle's financial problems.True you may get the odd banquet,wedding reception,but dont forget Brent's hotel will be right alongside competing for business as will all the hotels that are planned to be built in the city centre.Plus all these fancy restaurants on the Hoe waterfront,and Royal william Yard.They will all be doing banquets,conferences,wedding receptions.The extra revenue streams from the new stand wont amount to very much at all.In fact if the current drinks prices being charged in the argyle business lounge are anything to go by,then businesses may well avoid it.

Too true. There aren't enough zeezan's who would love to be proposed to at halftime against Torquay, whilst standing in the centre circle OMG, and have the reception at a fanfest or in the grandstand in June to avoid missing a game when the happy couple are on honeymoon.

That's not a dig at zz, I just mean she would be in a small minority of women who would want her wedding at home park. There are plenty of guys who think it would be a great idea, just watch don't tell the bride. One guy arranged to have the wedding at Alton towers. The bride was far from happy!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 3:30 pm

For the life of me, I cannot understand why there is so much approval for such a small stadium designed for a club with Championship aspirations even with a virtually unheard of and financially nonviable extension.

An 18,000 capacity is 3rd or 4th tear, not 2nd or 1st.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 3:35 pm

GOB wrote:
As a qualified egg chaser clown I have in the past always been against the sharing of the pitch because rugby tends to destroy any signs of grass, but now maybe the technology has improved to allow for a more toughened grass?

I don't consider the new grandstand as progress, it's just another piece of furniture that will commit us to lower league football for years to come and until we can afford to knock it down to build a bigger one.

A new Grandstand only furniture.......what a load of codswallop.........it will be more of a facility to complete a football/leisure experience....and will be an outlet for a conference/hiring venue.

It has been promised with no expense to PAFC.....so how does it cause us lower league football........not needed to be knocked down either,.....can be expanded if we ever return to the championship and maybe one day the Premiership.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 4:01 pm

ZYPH wrote:
GOB wrote:

A new Grandstand only furniture.......what a load of codswallop.........it will be more of a facility to complete a football/leisure experience....and will be an outlet for a conference/hiring venue.

It has been promised with no expense to PAFC.....so how does it cause us lower league football........not needed to be knocked down either,.....can be expanded if we ever return to the championship and maybe one day the Premiership.

it will be more of a facility to complete a football/leisure experience....and will be an outlet for a conference/hiring venue. - Now I agree!

At no cost? - It's cost PAFC a sizable chunk of its assets, in fact the only assets that PAFC now have are 12 green shirts, but all that seems to be conveniently labelled as "free". Still, we'll be forever grateful to My Brent for his generosity!

To extend ANY one of the stands will cost millios and millions, the last time we reached the Championship we lost dosh so how on earth the club is supposed to come up with these millions and millions will be a question for Derek Ocorah, or are we expecting an ice rink, conference room and a student accommodation block to pay to extend the smallest stadium in the Championship?

I suppose we could always ask the next lot of creditors to pay for it just like that last lot have!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK   TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK Empty

Back to top Go down

TIME IS RIGHT TO FINISH HOME PARK
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next