mouldyoldgoat
Chemical Ali
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Greenskin

Greenskin

Play Up Pompy??? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 2:14 pm

GregCampbellFanClub wrote:
up the guz ??? WTF does that mean ?

think the happy clap brigade are getting more exposed as time goes in.

looking a the thread though on pasoti it seems webb is taking on a role of Operating officer at HP judging by all stuff he's done in last 7 days.

the prez isnt 'tender in years' hes older than me but i DO wonder how long hes been a fan of the club for, not sure what he was thinking with this one.

besides he only 'communicates' on pasoti. he cant cite flack as a reason why he doesnt come on here, thats a poor excuse.
some worthwhile dialogue could be had on here but he chooses not to take the 'oppurtunity'

Guz is the services term for the naval base at Devonport;

"The Naval base at Devonport is nicknamed "Guz" by naval ratings. One suggestion is that this originates from the word guzzle (to eat or drink greedily), which is likely to refer to the eating of cream teas, a West Country delicacy and, therefore, one with strong connections to the area around Plymouth [8] Another explanation advanced is that "GUZZ" was the call sign for the nearby Royal Navy wireless station,(which was GZX), at Devil's Point,[9] though this has been disputed.[10]

Charles Causley referred to Guz in one of his poems, "Song of the Dying Gunner A.A.1", published in 1951.[11]"

Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 2:21 pm

looking a the thread though on pasoti it seems webb is taking on a role of Operating officer at HP judging by all stuff he's done in last 7 days.

the prez isnt 'tender in years' hes older than me but i DO wonder how long hes been a fan of the club for, not sure what he was thinking with this one.

besides he only 'communicates' on pasoti. he cant cite flack as a reason why he doesnt come on here, thats a poor excuse.
some worthwhile dialogue could be had on here but he chooses not to take the 'oppurtunity'

I reckon you'd struggle to find another league club to have someone of his age have a Presidency bestowed on 'em!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 2:54 pm

I think that the basic initiative of solidarity with clubs in difficulty is really good. It seems only right to me that Argyle should show support to clubs in Portsmouth's position as a way of 'repaying' the support which other clubs' fans showed during the dark days. It does, however, seem clear that the form of such solidarity must be appropriate and singing 'Play up, Pompey' is clearly a step too far for many fans. It would probably be best for this part of the plan to be quietly removed.

The T-shirt, on the other hand is one of the most bleddy stupid things I have seen. The word 'village' springs to mind (sorry, Tringreen!), the kind of thing a plucky non-league club would do for an FA Cup 1st round tie, although at least they would have actually played several matches just to get that far.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 2:58 pm

From tonycholwell [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Quote :

Guys

i think you are fighting a war already over:)

The President has said its over and that should be OK by us all. No one is asking us to sing PUP and in my opinion, quite rightly. When I was young Pompey were our rivals not the non league bunch up the road! And it was fraught and bloody most of the time.

Youngsters like the President had, Ive no doubt, the best of intentions but was unaware of this history between the 2 ports.Us decades older have longer memories and whereas Im happy to bung some dosh La Pollards way to help them out asking us to sing PUP is and was a step too far.

No one should be castigated for this, just an honest difference of opinion and history. On this occasion Lee was spot on with the mood of the fans, something that normally Chris is well tuned into. No one died though and the 18th August draws nigh for serious football.

Is he though because lately so many of his ideas/clubs ideas have meet with opposition that tells me he isnt as in tune with the wider fanbase beyond his mates on there.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 3:02 pm

Its weird that Chris is saying that it will be played over the tannoy so Argyle fans do not have to sing PUP, but IJN is saying he will still sing it in support of his mate What a Face
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 3:04 pm

Quote :
Is he though because lately so many of his ideas/clubs ideas have meet with opposition that tells me he isnt as in tune with the wider fanbase beyond his mates on there.

Could be. During admin he was outside looking in. Now he is at best working with one foot inside the club looking out and the other inside the club looking in.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 3:50 pm

Renegade wrote:
From tonycholwell [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Quote :

Guys

i think you are fighting a war already over:)

The President has said its over and that should be OK by us all. No one is asking us to sing PUP and in my opinion, quite rightly. When I was young Pompey were our rivals not the non league bunch up the road! And it was fraught and bloody most of the time.

Youngsters like the President had, Ive no doubt, the best of intentions but was unaware of this history between the 2 ports.Us decades older have longer memories and whereas Im happy to bung some dosh La Pollards way to help them out asking us to sing PUP is and was a step too far.

No one should be castigated for this, just an honest difference of opinion and history. On this occasion Lee was spot on with the mood of the fans, something that normally Chris is well tuned into. No one died though and the 18th August draws nigh for serious football.

And for that matter shouldn't someone occupying the post of president be aware of these things, irrespective of age?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 3:56 pm

As I posted earlier in the (FFS Brent thread), It amazes me that Webb as our Club President is unaware of the name of the Mentor assigned to Brent by the Football League.
It stinks of an "Oh dont worry about him JB us local bheys know best" attitude.

Him and his spin doctor have far too much say in the matchday experience and are out of control IMO. I dont always agree with Jameson but I applaud his stance on this matter, he was quite right to open the debate on the Farm and Webb's hysterics because one of his entourage had the audacity to publicly criticise speaks volumes for the professionalism of the man.

Until Brent addresses the personalities attempting to run the show at HP incidents like the PUP debacle will continue to be commonplace sadly.

Last edited by Arch Stanton on Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 4:26 pm

I see over on the farm one of Pasoti,s finest Rapson is at loggerheads with Newell over this
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Pasoti tearing itself apart from the inside out......ENJOY Cool
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 4:34 pm

IJN also said that they had received a £5k donation to their kilimanjaro fund because of all the abuse they've received-

Quote :
It's all very well receiving supportive PM's, but now and again, open support would be better, as it would show the cowardly bullies that they are not winning.

Saying that, the £5,000 anonymous donation to the Argyle Five, was a direct result of the stick Chris and I have taken in the last few days, so it's not all bad.

donation

but the the donation came from Nikkk? Does IJN ring Nikkk and say "Hello Nikkk we're being bullied again" and Nikkk responds "Poor you Ian, here's £5k".

Quote :
Good luck guys ! I would say have fun but I'm not so sure !!

Donation by nikkkk on 06/08/12
£5,000.00

Argyle5
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 4:54 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:
IJN also said that they had received a £5k donation to their kilimanjaro fund because of all the abuse they've received-

Quote :
It's all very well receiving supportive PM's, but now and again, open support would be better, as it would show the cowardly bullies that they are not winning.

Saying that, the £5,000 anonymous donation to the Argyle Five, was a direct result of the stick Chris and I have taken in the last few days, so it's not all bad.

donation

but the the donation came from Nikkk? Does IJN ring Nikkk and say "Hello Nikkk we're being bullied again" and Nikkk responds "Poor you Ian, here's £5k".

Quote :
Good luck guys ! I would say have fun but I'm not so sure !!

Donation by nikkkk on 06/08/12
£5,000.00

Argyle5

i'm thinking of the nerd at school who got bullied nearly everyday (dead now sadly) he could have been a millionaire with Nikkk
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 5:24 pm

Cant wait for their 5 mins with Kammy, Jeff and the boys jocolor

Just to clarify folks there are other Argyle fans outside of the select 5 taking part however they posses the dignity and grace to keep their egos in check.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 5:34 pm

I'm always reluctant to give money to anyone who wants sponsorship to, say, walk the Aztec Trail, do a parachute jump, have a lie on a beach in the Bahamas. If it's for a good cause, why not: get sponsorship to work for the charity for a week; get sponsored to cut the grass and tidy the gardens of the elderly or disabled; get sponsored to make regular visits to the house-bound or lonely. There are lots of organisations that would welcome help. If you get sponsored to do so and then give the money to the charity of your choice, everyone's a winner.
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 5:41 pm

well i'd say from after 83. that game shit me up so much ive never seen pompey at argo or at fratton since.

the idea is laughable, as is the prez
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 6:51 pm

Just because it's been suggested, doesn't mean that, at that game, the fans won't boo it does it? Most people don't read pasoti or ATD - probably about 500 maximum and a lot of those are exiles who won't attend anyway.
If this does go ahead, I predict bemused faces amongst the crowd and an angry reaction from a lot of people.

It's like the Newcastle debacle - I was utterly sickened that our club, who'd just been relegated, did what they did for Newcastle United.

I personally feel sorry for Pompey fans - I had a chat today with one of them at work who was coming round our office to sort out our PCs (we're moving to Windows 7 next week) and he was pretty sad about it and I told him what was being suggested and he laughed his head off.

I hope this bloke doesn't turn up
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

bounce
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 7:05 pm

I would only sing PUP if this bloke could sing it from the Director's box-

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 7:22 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:
I would only sing PUP if this bloke could sing it from the Director's box-

Birdman! A very famous Plymouthian to anyone who's been to a nightclub between 1983 and the present day. Still as mad as a goose on a skateboard no doubt. Him and Dancing Trevor (often seen on Mutley Plain or by Cattedown Roundabout and more recently on Laira Bridge) are legends.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 7:25 pm

Is Dancing Trevor the one with the headphones that shouts at random traffic?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 7:41 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:

He is. He is called Trevor too. He used to hang around the pubs up at Mutley a lot so me and my mates got to know him quite well - he'd ask you for a £1 for something completely bizarre (usually shoe laces as he often tied them so tight they'd snap but sometimes gravy granules or a toothbrush) and you'd give him £1 eventually just so he'd leave you alone - he'd then proceed to go right up to a fruit machine and put the £1 in right in front of you bounce

Trevor now posts on ATD as XXXXXXXXX (name removed by Hairy J)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 8:16 pm

hairy j wrote:
Chemical Ali wrote:

He is. He is called Trevor too. He used to hang around the pubs up at Mutley a lot so me and my mates got to know him quite well - he'd ask you for a £1 for something completely bizarre (usually shoe laces as he often tied them so tight they'd snap but sometimes gravy granules or a toothbrush) and you'd give him £1 eventually just so he'd leave you alone - he'd then proceed to go right up to a fruit machine and put the £1 in right in front of you bounce

Trevor now posts on ATD as XXXXXXXXX (name removed by Hairy J)

Me and my mates nicknamed Trevor "The Minesweeper" as he walks around the pub with a fixed gaze at the floor picking up all the loose change! The guy is bombed out HJ lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 8:47 pm

Don't know the Trevor fella but I know Birdman very well, proper character.
Back to top Go down
swampy

PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 6:42 am

I think Birdman passed away a couple of years ago. What a character John was. always singing wherever he was.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 8:31 am

swampy wrote:
I think Birdman passed away a couple of years ago. What a character John was. always singing wherever he was.

Still alive and kicking

Seen him about two weeks ago striding up the street in the pouring rain just outside House of Fraser in town shouting the words for"singing in the rain"
As others have said mad as a box of frogs.
Back to top Go down
swampy

PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 8:35 am

Well that's good news, was sure there was a mention on the other site about his passing, pleased my memory is playing tricks, a box of frogs alright but a lovely bloke I thought.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 8:49 am

There used to be another old character who I remember dancing like John Travolta, and dressed like him too, in the clubs and pubs around the Octagen (was it the Phoenix club that was up the stairs next to the Chinese takeaway?) He must have been about 65 in 1980 and he would dance all night busting moves like disco Stu, another real nice eccentric bloke.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Play Up Pompy???   Play Up Pompy??? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Play Up Pompy???
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next