Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Play poor and win or play with style and lose?

Go down 
+7
Chemical Ali
Mock Cuncher
Greenskin
Elias
Rickler
akagreengull
Daz Evans
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Daz Evans

Daz Evans

Play poor and win or play with style and lose? Empty
PostSubject: Play poor and win or play with style and lose?   Play poor and win or play with style and lose? EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 4:49 pm

So a football question..

Would you rather we won the league grinding out 1 - 0 wins and 0 - 0 draws or finish middle to bottom half (definitely safe) playing exciting attacking football with style and either winning or losing 3 - 0?

Before the "we cant do either as we are awful starts", I just wondered in an ideal world what everyone would prefer. As there always seems to be debate on what's better I just wondered what everyones opinion was.

Me, I'll take exciting attacking football and forget the defending!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Play poor and win or play with style and lose?   Play poor and win or play with style and lose? EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 4:51 pm

I'll take winning football, however it manifests itself. If we need to grind out dull 1-0 wins to get out of this division, that'll do me.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Play poor and win or play with style and lose?   Play poor and win or play with style and lose? EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 5:07 pm

To be honest I have little faith in watching anything decent at H.P. at the moment, given we have at best an average squad, a manager who it is becoming more apparent has limited tatical ability and an owner who is saying something different about how to move forward every time he speaks. So far we have been grinding and drawing and losing, so grinding and winning seems better, does'nt it.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Play poor and win or play with style and lose?   Play poor and win or play with style and lose? EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 5:15 pm

Daz Evans wrote:
So a football question..

Would you rather we won the league grinding out 1 - 0 wins and 0 - 0 draws or finish middle to bottom half (definitely safe) playing exciting attacking football with style and either winning or losing 3 - 0?

Uh oh.... SensibleGreeny is going to have a field day....
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Play poor and win or play with style and lose?   Play poor and win or play with style and lose? EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 5:20 pm

whos kit is that on your avatar daz ? belper town, mickleover sports, borrowash vics ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Play poor and win or play with style and lose?   Play poor and win or play with style and lose? EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 5:27 pm

Winning over losing for sure, but it becomes as boring as buggery in the next league up if you're clinging on for dear life match after match in the hope of scraping a 1-0 win or an away draw.

I would rather have Ossie Ardiles Spurs side not winning anything than Tony Pullis' Stoke side not winning anything.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Play poor and win or play with style and lose?   Play poor and win or play with style and lose? EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 5:47 pm

We played some horrible football under Sturrock and won the league by miles - that was exciting. We played some nice stuff under Reid at times and got hammered and relegated and that was upsetting.
Win ugly please.
Back to top Go down
Daz Evans

Daz Evans

PostSubject: Re: Play poor and win or play with style and lose?   Play poor and win or play with style and lose? EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 7:57 pm

GCFC It's my son in his Allestree Juniors kit.

Well I guess I will have to stand alone with playing with style and never knowing how the game will finish. To be honest to win the league would be great but we are never going to be a big club so I would rather we were know as a small club that was great to watch.

Back to top Go down
Daz Evans

Daz Evans

PostSubject: Re: Play poor and win or play with style and lose?   Play poor and win or play with style and lose? EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 8:00 pm

Sorry Jock missed your post so maybe not alone in preferring style and excitement over boring 1-0.

I know the argument is only theory at the minute, but I can still dream
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Play poor and win or play with style and lose?   Play poor and win or play with style and lose? EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 8:19 pm

Unfortunately it's a results business so we keep getting told, but I think I would prefer turning up knowing there were bound to be goals at each end and a thrilling match, than turning up 90% sure that it was going to be a dour game with one goal maximum.

But then I don't buy a season ticket and attend most games like I used to. I've become accustomed to us being a League 1 club with the odd blip and the odd highlight, mainly due to the lack of investent and ambition over the years.

If someone guaranteed they would plough a great deal of money into the club with the aim of Premier League football within 10 years I would take the boring stuff for a measly year in the top flight and see where it went from there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Play poor and win or play with style and lose?   Play poor and win or play with style and lose? EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 8:34 pm

Pretty much every game (mostly home ones) i went to last season were dour uninteresting affairs,they followed a generic pattern of scoring early/early pressure, sitting back inviting pressure and either conceding late on or hanging on for 1-0 wins against even the crappiest of sides that we should have taken apart with ease.It is effective maybe when battling relegation,anything else its smacks of no confidence and inexperience...i believe his tactics have not evolved from last seasons and another season of struggle beckons.
All this business of"fanfests" giant flags and forza nerd is simply an attempt to divert the attentions of the slightly less "astute" away from the fact that "Sahib" Brent will keep us in this division in the long term backed up by the dull as dishwater Carl Fletcher.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Play poor and win or play with style and lose?   Play poor and win or play with style and lose? EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 9:01 pm

In an ideal world it would be both winning and doing it with flair and style. Not many in this league are going to do that unfortunately. It's a no brainer if you want your team promoted. You take winning. Last season we had crap football and not so much of the winning so if the dour stuff doesn't pay off then the season becomes a real chore. Had we won every match 1 - 0 then people would not have been so critical and would have forgotten all about flair.

I posted so as not to disappoint Rickler because I know how much he values my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Play poor and win or play with style and lose?   Play poor and win or play with style and lose? EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 10:09 pm

Daz Evans wrote:

Well I guess I will have to stand alone with playing with style and never knowing how the game will finish. To be honest to win the league would be great but we are never going to be a big club so I would rather we were know as a small club that was great to watch.

We certainly should be a big club in this division.And in a couple of upward divisions too,if the finances are right.As to the style v substance argument,can't say that i was especially sad when we won the fourth division under Sturrock or avoided relegation from the CCC under Pulis playing football that was less than flamboyant.In a perfect world then i suppose a combination of the two would be the outcome,but i'll take 22 1-0 wins in a season.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Play poor and win or play with style and lose?   Play poor and win or play with style and lose? EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 10:10 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Daz Evans wrote:

We certainly should be a big club in this division.And in a couple of upward divisions too,if the finances are right.As to the style v substance argument,can't say that i was especially sad when we won the fourth division under Sturrock or avoided relegation from the CCC under Pulis playing football that was less than flamboyant.In a perfect world then i suppose a combination of the two would be the outcome,but i'll take 22 1-0 wins in a season.

Just 22? Where's your ambition? lol!
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Play poor and win or play with style and lose?   Play poor and win or play with style and lose? EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 10:16 pm

Andy_Symons wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Daz Evans wrote:

Just 22? Where's your ambition? lol!

Just aiming for second place,thats all.22 x 3 =66,14 draws = 80 points,should be enough for runners up in most seasons.Now 25 1-0 wins,that would be ambition. Wink
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Play poor and win or play with style and lose?   Play poor and win or play with style and lose? EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 10:20 pm

I'd rather have a multi-faceted team capable of dishing the crap teams and scraping results against the good ones. Sturrock's team wasn't passing heaven but it knew how to create crossing opportunities and chances. Buster on the right, Stonebridge floating, Trigger occupying both centre halves, Friio arriving late - that's why there isn't a hope in hell of Argyle getting promoted this season - we had good players in their prime back then. We have none now.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Play poor and win or play with style and lose?   Play poor and win or play with style and lose? EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 10:46 pm

Sturrock (first spell) played a direct style that I was generally happy with. I don't remember another period of such high scores for argyle against teams like Peterborough, chesterfield, tranmere,port vale etc. I couldn't stand pulis' football, despite it's effectiveness.

The problem with the last four seasons has been that on the whole the football has been dire, as have the results. Reid's passing style of last season didn't work as there were no players capable of taking the opposition on or creating chances, plus our attackers were poor.

Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Play poor and win or play with style and lose?   Play poor and win or play with style and lose? EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 8:12 am

Plymouth Argyle's shortcomings

Quote From Danny Salman ex Argyle Player from thisisplymouth

I DON'T want to cast a pall over Plymouth Argyle's very welcome League Cup success on Tuesday, but I would not be giving you an honest opinion, if I did not voice my very real reservations over the side's shortcomings.
Look, we all want what's best for Argyle and to see them go up the leagues again, but I can only judge them on what I see. And I see all the home matches.
Yes, we won 3-0 and have gone into the next round of the League Cup to face Burnley, which is something Argyle haven't managed to do for a number of seasons.
Beating what was essentially a Portsmouth youth side, who particularly in the second half when they only trailed 1-0, made Argyle look pretty average, is hardly the boost we all need going into the start of a new season.
On Saturday, Argyle have got Aldershot at Home Park in their first League Two match of the 2012/13 season, but you could have been forgiven for thinking that we were still playing 2011/12's campaign on Tuesday, as the same faults surfaced and we stuttered to a win.
Last term, we accepted the fact that when you're up against the wall in the shape of relegation, then results will take precedence over performance.
Fine, but I'd hoped for evidence that manager Carl Fletcher would had injected a bit more flair and creativity into Argyle's play in pre-season.
Well, up to now, I've seen little to suggest that Argyle with, let's face it, just about the same players in the squad as last season, are a different animal this year.
Argyle began brightly against Portsmouth and tried to stamp their authority on the visitors and created some good chances for the strikers.
Winger Johnny Gorman was lively on the flanks and looked our most threatening forward, as was seen when the loanee scored a very good opening goal.
But after that, we huffed and puffed, but again gave away the ball far too often.
That was one of my main criticisms of the side last year that we couldn't keep possession of the ball, which is a fault I'd noticed in their other pre-season matches, too.
Before goals from Paris Cowan-Hall and Nick Chadwick gave them a cushion late into the second period, Argyle had not looked comfortable against Pompey, who, if it wasn't for a couple of great saves from Jake Cole, could have levelled.
In fact, I remember noting at the time that I couldn't remember mentioning Conor Hourihane or Paul Wotton who are Argyle's playmakers in midfield.
Let's just hope it was first-night nerves for Argyle and that they exorcised their demons in time for the game against Aldershot. If they haven't then, it could be a pretty bumpy ride again for Argyle this season
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Play poor and win or play with style and lose?   Play poor and win or play with style and lose? EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 9:54 am

But at least we still have a club to support jocolor
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Play poor and win or play with style and lose?   Play poor and win or play with style and lose? EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 10:02 am

I think Danny sums it up perfectly, I think we will struggle against any half decent team who are capable of launching quick strikes as I suspect the Shot will on Saturday. I predict both Exeter and Torquay will finish above us on current squad quality this season. WE WILL SEE. Anyway I'm off to Beautiful Days in the rain so will miss the opening clash, somehow the rain seems quite appealing.
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: Play poor and win or play with style and lose?   Play poor and win or play with style and lose? EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 10:44 am

An ideal candidate for Honorary President of ATD is our Danny...does he need sponsoring cheers
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: Play poor and win or play with style and lose?   Play poor and win or play with style and lose? EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 1:13 pm

i prefer attacking football, but ive stopped going to games as this style of football doesnt get played by our beloved greens, ever.

the last few matches ive been to have had an air of resignation, doom and inevitability. you can tell what you are going to get, just by the body language in the warm ups

daz, if you fancy taking in one of our more local games, we could lift share. the offer is open.
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk
tcm

tcm

PostSubject: Re: Play poor and win or play with style and lose?   Play poor and win or play with style and lose? EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 1:39 pm

calm down dany,its not started yet,
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Play poor and win or play with style and lose?   Play poor and win or play with style and lose? EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 2:14 pm

allestree juniors ? Posh boy ! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Play poor and win or play with style and lose?   Play poor and win or play with style and lose? EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 2:38 pm

Every single bit of that danny salman article rings true, the performances never change......meanwhile on Pasoti Argyles propaganda minister Chris "Goebells" Webb draws the attentions of those that refuse to see the bigger picture away from the fact that we are utterly dire by fan fests, post boxes, forza nerd,murals giant flags and jester hats,the crazy thing is no matter what anyone says.....Brent seems to be listening to him, Webb seems to be hell bent on expoiting his newly found title and silly hat to the max.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Play poor and win or play with style and lose?   Play poor and win or play with style and lose? Empty

Back to top Go down

Play poor and win or play with style and lose?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next