Dougie
seadog
Chemical Ali
Czarcasm
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Lighting the Olympic cauldron Empty
PostSubject: Lighting the Olympic cauldron   Lighting the Olympic cauldron EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 1:10 pm

Bookies have stopped taking bets on it being Roger Bannister, so it looks like the news has leaked out.

It must be about the greatest honour in sport to be asked to light it in your own country's games. Personally I'd have gone for Steve Redgrave, just because he competed in a gruelling sport for such a long time and came home with Gold so many times, but Daley Thompson and Kelly Holmes would also be good choices.

David Beckham has been touted by many as an ideal candidate, which I don't understand whatsoever, just wondered what your greatest Olympic memory involving Britain has been?

Linford Christie in the 100m would be one of mine, but I have this doubt about him niggling away because of later developments, so it would be Steve Redgrave's last Gold medal, so close as well it wasn't even official for a few moments until the photo finish was shown.

I love the diversity of the Olympics and however much it has cost the country, some people will do very nicely thankyou out of it all, it should help inspire a generation if GB do well, just like Bradley Wiggins' Tour de France victory will mean a huge surge in people taking up cycling.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lighting the Olympic cauldron   Lighting the Olympic cauldron EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 1:19 pm

Oh and I cannot abide these opening ceremonies though. For World Cups, Olympics, Commonwealth Games whatever, just have a little introduction by all means but it is all so arty farty with people prancing around like idiots.

Now this is something that should be done on the cheap instead of the tens of millions of pounds being spent.

Olympic opening ceremonies and musicals are in the same category for me, and should have their own dedicated TV channel so as not to spoil my viewing entertainment.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Lighting the Olympic cauldron   Lighting the Olympic cauldron EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 1:34 pm

Who'll light the flame?

Surely a two-horse race, but where's your cash?

Webb or Newell?
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Lighting the Olympic cauldron   Lighting the Olympic cauldron EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 1:41 pm

Rhys Griffiths gets my vote- top scorer in the Welsh Premier for 27 seasons and is also a fireman- if he accidently sets fire to someone/ something he can put it out.

If not I'd like to see Steven Hawking in some type of stunt display with a big ramp, lit torch/ lance and a jump over some London buses.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lighting the Olympic cauldron   Lighting the Olympic cauldron EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 2:14 pm

Super charged lithium battery extravaganza?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lighting the Olympic cauldron   Lighting the Olympic cauldron EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 2:17 pm

Greenjock wrote:
Oh and I cannot abide these opening ceremonies though. For World Cups, Olympics, Commonwealth Games whatever, just have a little introduction by all means but it is all so arty farty with people prancing around like idiots.

Now this is something that should be done on the cheap instead of the tens of millions of pounds being spent.

Olympic opening ceremonies and musicals are in the same category for me, and should have their own dedicated TV channel so as not to spoil my viewing entertainment.
I'm quite looking forward to the opening ceremony and hope we do a good job of it. However I did not join in at 0812 this morning when invited to ring a bell to signify the opening of the games. Bells sounding off all over the country all because of some artist called Martin Creed and his work at Scotsman Steps in the centre of Edinburgh.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Lighting the Olympic cauldron   Lighting the Olympic cauldron EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 2:23 pm

I din't have a bell to hand to join in this morning so I just gave my ding-a-ling a little shake at the train station instead
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Lighting the Olympic cauldron   Lighting the Olympic cauldron EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 2:29 pm

My favo Olympic memory is Jamie Baulch taking the last leg of the 4x400 and gaining a tremendously brave bronze medal. Whadda champ.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Lighting the Olympic cauldron   Lighting the Olympic cauldron EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 2:36 pm

Ben Johnson's 100m final or Derek Redmond's hamstring and dad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lighting the Olympic cauldron   Lighting the Olympic cauldron EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 3:04 pm

I forgot the Derek Redmond thing, really heartbreaking but seeing his dad push away the officials and help him finish was awesome. Of course he was married to Sharon Davies, a good Plymouth lass wasn't she? Her nips were always a highlight of the Olympics.

She's just bought a property in Bradford on Avon which cost a pretty penny, only to find out that the small nursing home planned in front of her house is now going to be about the size of Derriford Hospital. She's not a happy bunny.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lighting the Olympic cauldron   Lighting the Olympic cauldron EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 6:53 pm

I'm going to watch the opening ceremony, probably the first I've ever seen, because the seven year old's infected me. I always get hooked on the olympic sport, but she's so excited I've even got a buzz about tonight.

Making it, in my opinion, a great shame that the whole thing doesn't kick off a bit earlier. Either a lot of excited kids are going to miss it altogether or there'll be tens of thousands of grumpy small people tomorrow morning.

I wouldn't argue with Roger Bannister lighting the flame, or Kelly Holmes, Steve Redgrave or lots of others. No way should Beckham do it. Best of all, though, is something I've heard a few people suggest: a child who was born on the day the games were awarded.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Lighting the Olympic cauldron   Lighting the Olympic cauldron EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 7:15 pm

The most memorable for me was when Ali lit the flame in 1996,struggling to cope with the effects of his Parkinson's disease.Smokin' Joe wasn't all that impressed though;

In 1996, after Ali lit the Olympic torch at the Atlanta Games, Frazier told a group of reporters, "I wish Ali had fallen into [the flame]. If I had the chance, I'd have pushed him in."

Seems like some rivalries just don't fade with the passing of time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lighting the Olympic cauldron   Lighting the Olympic cauldron EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 7:32 pm

Some Olympic images are destined for immortality. This one in particular:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Lighting the Olympic cauldron   Lighting the Olympic cauldron EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 7:40 pm

I'll go for Alex Polizzi in a low cut running vest sans sports bra with a big dip for the line
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lighting the Olympic cauldron   Lighting the Olympic cauldron EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 8:44 pm

Dougie wrote:
I'll go for Alex Polizzi in a low cut running vest sans sports bra with a big dip for the line

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lighting the Olympic cauldron   Lighting the Olympic cauldron EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 9:20 pm

Andy_Symons wrote:
Some Olympic images are destined for immortality. This one in particular:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The white guy is thinking right on.

Last edited by Greenjock on Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lighting the Olympic cauldron   Lighting the Olympic cauldron EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 10:42 pm

Could you explain that one Jock ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lighting the Olympic cauldron   Lighting the Olympic cauldron EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 10:49 pm

Penz wrote:
Could you explain that one Jock ?

It was an attempt at irony Penz, as it's the black power salute, but accuse me of being racist if you like. I'm beyond caring tonight Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lighting the Olympic cauldron   Lighting the Olympic cauldron EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 10:52 pm

It seems a pretty racist statement to me... I don't detect any irony..you may not care, but I do. If that's the sort of post that stands on this site, I'm off.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lighting the Olympic cauldron   Lighting the Olympic cauldron EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 11:00 pm

Penz wrote:
It seems a pretty racist statement to me... I don't detect any irony..you may not care, but I do. If that's the sort of post that stands on this site, I'm off.

Penz if you don't get my humour by now I despair. I despise racism and that's been well documented.

If it came across as racist then I am truly sorry, someone said it was their greatest Olympic memory, and that's because it helped pave the way for more equality and less discrimination, so I joked the white guy, oh forget it, I can't be fecked.

I apologise if it offended you and I will remove it and log off so the sight of me on here doesn't make you puke.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Lighting the Olympic cauldron   Lighting the Olympic cauldron EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 11:13 pm

Dougie wrote:
I din't have a bell to hand to join in this morning so I just gave my ding-a-ling a little shake at the train station instead

So when does your court case come up Dougie? Very Happy

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
JonB

JonB

PostSubject: Re: Lighting the Olympic cauldron   Lighting the Olympic cauldron EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 8:49 am

The sight of Ail, a true great but now so poorly that he needed a helper just to point him in the right direction, was shocking.

The flame cauldron looked beautiful.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.grumpypig.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Lighting the Olympic cauldron   Lighting the Olympic cauldron EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 9:08 am

It was sad to see a true great in such poor health but I don't think there can be many characters with such a brave heart as Ali.

I watched every minute, another excellent 'do' from the Brits.
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: Lighting the Olympic cauldron   Lighting the Olympic cauldron EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 9:13 am

Well Jock, your Olympic tips are as good as your horse tips. I looked a right cnut after telling everybody I was ITK and revealing your info.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lighting the Olympic cauldron   Lighting the Olympic cauldron EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 9:42 am

I thought the way that I K Brunel and Bal Maidens seamlessly turned into the Sgt. Peppers and the 60's was awe inspiring and one of those truly life changing moments, £27m well spent. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lighting the Olympic cauldron   Lighting the Olympic cauldron Empty

Back to top Go down

Lighting the Olympic cauldron
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next