Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)

Go down 
+9
downthetrack
Charlie Wood
Greenskin
Flat_Track_Bully
mouldyoldgoat
Mock Cuncher
Captain Spudgun
Rickler
Tringreen
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)  Empty
PostSubject: Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)    Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)  EmptyFri May 11, 2012 5:02 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Would really like to know who they are.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)    Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)  EmptyFri May 11, 2012 5:04 pm

Why? We have a manager.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)    Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)  EmptyFri May 11, 2012 5:25 pm

A shit start to next season and we will be kicking ourselves over this missed opportunity.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)    Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)  EmptyFri May 11, 2012 6:09 pm

Not if we don't know who they are.

Anyway Fletcher is apparently holding out for Bournemouth. I would imagine that Brent will only wait so long before taking his offer off the table. He's not a millionaire by chance. He's a very shrewd businessman.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)    Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)  EmptyFri May 11, 2012 6:17 pm

Id give him a week........ive never been so bored in my life watching the negative, binary football served up under Fletcher, effective in keeping us up? yes, the tactics to take us forward?...no thanks

Ill drive him to Bournemouth myself if necessary, obviously Bournemouth are trying to emulate another Eddie Howe, dont always work like that in football.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)    Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)  EmptyFri May 11, 2012 6:20 pm

According to JB, his brief was to keep us up. How he did that was dire to watch. Again according to JB CF's intended style of play is very different. He intends to play attractive football next season.

Time will tell. If Fletch doesn't sign, then Brent will find another manager. Simple when you put it like that isn't it?
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)    Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)  EmptyFri May 11, 2012 6:30 pm

I would be amazed if Fletcher has what it takes to be a successful manager. I have never heard anyone sound so ponderous and lacking in anything constructive to say when interviewed . Maybe he's different with the players and turns into an incisive and articulate motivator but I doubt it.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)    Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)  EmptyFri May 11, 2012 6:34 pm

Cerbera wrote:
According to JB, his brief was to keep us up. How he did that was dire to watch. Again according to JB CF's intended style of play is very different. He intends to play attractive football next season.

So... Fletch decided to forgo his preferred playing style to keep us up - is that what we are being led to believe?

It also begs the question how much faith he has in playing 'attractive' football if he doesn't believe it can lead to positive results.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)    Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)  EmptyFri May 11, 2012 6:41 pm

If we bring in different players then we maybe able to play a different style, who knows but I would give him a chance and see.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)    Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)  EmptyFri May 11, 2012 6:42 pm

Rickler wrote:
Cerbera wrote:

So... Fletch decided to forgo his preferred playing style to keep us up - is that what we are being led to believe?

It also begs the question how much faith he has in playing 'attractive' football if he doesn't believe it can lead to positive results.

I think it's more likely that the likes of Purse and Wotton told Fletch that they'd stop the other beggars scoring many goals, so that Fletch could concentrate on the attack lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)    Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)  EmptyFri May 11, 2012 6:43 pm

Can leopards change their spots.Will we be singing "Its like watching Brazil".Very much doubt it.
Back to top Go down
Captain Spudgun

PostSubject: Re: Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)    Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)  EmptyFri May 11, 2012 6:47 pm

Very few teams play attractive footy in L2, let alone when they are at or near to the foot of the league!

We might win more next year but the footy will remain pretty shite. We are in league 2!

Oh and how many 1-0 wins did we get when Sturrock took us out of L2? 1-0 to the Argyle I seem to recall
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)    Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)  EmptyFri May 11, 2012 6:48 pm

oddball wrote:
Can leopards change their spots.Will we be singing "Its like watching Brazil".Very much doubt it.

Exactly, give him till Tuesday then tell him where to go.

Leave the Fletcher loving to Forza Nerd and Pasoti
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)    Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)  EmptyFri May 11, 2012 6:49 pm

Rickler wrote:
Cerbera wrote:

I actually agree with you. Fletcher showed no signs of any tactical nouse at all this season. As DTT posted, if only Bristol Rovers knew how to hang onto a 2 goal lead.......
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)    Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)  EmptyFri May 11, 2012 6:49 pm

I bet the managers include:

Colin Lee
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

PostSubject: Re: Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)    Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)  EmptyFri May 11, 2012 6:51 pm

Kevin Nancekivell

Martin Rogers

Kevin Hodges

any more?
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)    Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)  EmptyFri May 11, 2012 6:58 pm

Shilton and Megson?

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Flat_Track_Bully

Flat_Track_Bully

PostSubject: Re: Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)    Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)  EmptyFri May 11, 2012 7:41 pm

How do you define a 'senior' manager? Are we talking about Ron Atkinson! Obviously it's a manager who is a) out of work and b) desperate enough to pimp himself to a league 2 team who already have a manager. I doubt therefore that it is anyone with a particularly great track record.

An alternative hypothesis would be that if negotiations over Fletcher's new contract aren't going to Brent's liking, then maybe these 'senior managers' have suddenly been mentioned as a negotiation tool. Like someone else said, Brent didn't get to be millionaire by being a mug.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)    Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)  EmptyFri May 11, 2012 7:57 pm

Cerbera wrote:

Anyway Fletcher is apparently holding out for Bournemouth. I would imagine that Brent will only wait so long before taking his offer off the table. He's not a millionaire by chance. He's a very shrewd businessman.

Paul Groves was appointed Bournemouth manager on a permanent basis today:

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)    Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)  EmptyFri May 11, 2012 8:07 pm

I think the only team i have seen play good consistant passing football is Rovers at home park, perhaps swindon. Shrewsbury were poor and Crawley weren't the best either, the rest seem utter crap also.

For what its worth, I think we tried playing some good football with the young team under peter reid, especially in pre season, we played some very sexy stuff against Shrewsbury at their place, then played it all on the ground against Millwall also, we did play passing football and it didn't work against the physical teams. Notice we only started getting the wins when we brought in tough physical players.

Its gonna be dirty, passing won't work in L2
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)    Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)  EmptyFri May 11, 2012 8:09 pm

Ah well, that's that then. JB did mention at the freak meet that he'd had some approaches.
Back to top Go down
downthetrack

downthetrack

PostSubject: Re: Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)    Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)  EmptyFri May 11, 2012 8:12 pm

Thought you played ok in the JPT, against us,good passing game on the ground.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)    Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)  EmptyFri May 11, 2012 8:35 pm

Block4Green wrote:

I think the only team i have seen play good consistant passing football is Rovers at home park, perhaps swindon. Shrewsbury were poor and Crawley weren't the best either, the rest seem utter crap also.

For what its worth, I think we tried playing some good football with the young team under peter reid, especially in pre season, we played some very sexy stuff against Shrewsbury at their place, then played it all on the ground against Millwall also, we did play passing football and it didn't work against the physical teams. Notice we only started getting the wins when we brought in tough physical players.

Its gonna be dirty, passing won't work in L2

Passing can and has worked in this or any other league.Luton were a very good passing side when they finished runners up to us in 2002 and so were Mansfield who went up vis the play offs.If you have players of the right quality,any system or style can be successful.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)    Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)  EmptyFri May 11, 2012 8:52 pm

If your priority as a supporter is getting out of this league then is it more important to get results or how you get them? If, and I know it won't happen, Argyle won every match 1 - 0 would supporters generally care in the end? My answer to the above two questions is no. I suspect many many other people would answer the same.

Would you rather Argyle play good attacking football? Would you rather Argyle play good attacking football and finish 10th. Yes to the first one but no to the second. I think it is unfair to judge Fletcher's style on this season where it was backs to the wall from day one. By the time he took over with no money to spend and being stuck with a lot of what he already had then the options if we were going to survive were limited. I do believe he did what he had to do and why would he not. Would he have wished it different. Of course he would so why not take his word on that.

Ok he doesn't sound good at interview. How does he sound on the training ground and in the dressingroom? I would rather he be good there than in front of a camera. It is unfair to say he won't change the style for next season because we have no idea yet. A comment above is right. There are few footballing sides in this league because it is the bottom league and the quality of player isn't there. Better to get out of it with another season watching crap than stay here and watch crap for eternity.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)    Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)  EmptyFri May 11, 2012 9:01 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Cerbera wrote:

Paul Groves was appointed Bournemouth manager on a permanent basis today:

Thats that then,,, I fully expect Carl Fletcher to continue as Argyle manager forthwith....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)    Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)  Empty

Back to top Go down

Argyle approached by senior managers (but brent wants fletch)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next