Charlie Wood
Greenskin
Chemical Ali
swampy
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Larrieu to hang up his gloves Empty
PostSubject: Larrieu to hang up his gloves   Larrieu to hang up his gloves EmptySat May 05, 2012 7:08 am

So as expected, Romain Larrieu announces his retirement from professional football. A true gentleman and Argyle through and through. Thanks for everything Ro.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
swampy

PostSubject: Re: Larrieu to hang up his gloves   Larrieu to hang up his gloves EmptySat May 05, 2012 7:22 am

Absolument. De moi aussi.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Larrieu to hang up his gloves   Larrieu to hang up his gloves EmptySat May 05, 2012 7:47 am

At his peak he was Premier League class. 'That save' that he made in the 3-2 away win at Rushden that kick started our Promotion season was one of the best I've seen from any 'keeper, anywhere.

A superb keeper, a true Green, but above all a thoroughly nice guy. I hope his coaching and management career with Argyle goes on to hit the same heights that his playing career did.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Larrieu to hang up his gloves   Larrieu to hang up his gloves EmptySat May 05, 2012 7:49 am

Great keeper (in his prime) and a fantastic bloke. Certainly will be remembered as one of Argyle's best keepers.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Larrieu to hang up his gloves   Larrieu to hang up his gloves EmptySat May 05, 2012 8:08 am

Echo the above sentiments,one of the very best in my years as a fan,very unlucky with a serious knee injury and a much more serious problem after that.I remember a save he made from Kenwynne Jones against Southampton in an evening match at HP which defied belief,a point blank bullet header which he somehow managed to push on to the bar.Great servant,all the very best to him whatever the future may bring.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Larrieu to hang up his gloves   Larrieu to hang up his gloves EmptySat May 05, 2012 8:13 am

In his day arguably one of the best keepers to wear the number 1 shirt we've had. Such a gentleman, even when Luke grabbed the number 1 shirt he stayed a true professional. Top man and I hope he stays on at the club in some capacity.

The Romain Larrieu stand? cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Larrieu to hang up his gloves   Larrieu to hang up his gloves EmptySat May 05, 2012 8:15 am

A great keeper but a fantastic man. I have always been very proud that he plays for us.
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: Larrieu to hang up his gloves   Larrieu to hang up his gloves EmptySat May 05, 2012 8:39 am

The much over used "legend" can actually be applied to Ro. A true gent and a one club man, we should be proud of him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Larrieu to hang up his gloves   Larrieu to hang up his gloves EmptySat May 05, 2012 8:51 am

I agree with just about everyone, the guy is not only a superb keep but is a credit to the club and football.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Larrieu to hang up his gloves   Larrieu to hang up his gloves EmptySat May 05, 2012 9:31 am

I remember he had Arsenal sniffing around once...quite surprised he didn't go...for an Argyle price of course.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Larrieu to hang up his gloves   Larrieu to hang up his gloves EmptySat May 05, 2012 9:41 am

punchdrunk wrote:
I remember he had Arsenal sniffing around once...quite surprised he didn't go...for an Argyle price of course.

That's right but he remained at HP, maybe he thought we had a chance of top flight football!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Larrieu to hang up his gloves   Larrieu to hang up his gloves EmptySat May 05, 2012 9:50 am

I was there at Rushden and on lots of occasions he made an excellent save or two. There was never any doubt about his shot-stopping abilities. And you have to recognise his role in our team when we were good in the Championship.

One of our best ever keepers? I don't think so. Too often rooted to his line. Poor distribution. An inability to boss his area - neither the opposition nor his defenders. Recognise also his in-out appearances when vying with McCormick for the jersey.

By all accounts a lovely person, though.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Larrieu to hang up his gloves   Larrieu to hang up his gloves EmptySat May 05, 2012 9:51 am

knecht wrote:
I was there at Rushden and on lots of occasions he made an excellent save or two. There was never any doubt about his shot-stopping abilities. And you have to recognise his role in our team when we were good in the Championship.

One of our best ever keepers? I don't think so. Too often rooted to his line. Poor distribution. An inability to boss his area - neither the opposition nor his defenders. Recognise also his in-out appearances when vying with McCormick for the jersey.

By all accounts a lovely person, though.
This.

I hope he has enough coaching qualifications to justify any future role with us.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

PostSubject: Re: Larrieu to hang up his gloves   Larrieu to hang up his gloves EmptySat May 05, 2012 11:01 am

He's 35. He could easily perform a player/coach role if we had a management team in place.

He might just be tired of playing matches though. I'm not actually comparing myself to a professional footballer but I played amateur football for a long, long time and I got tired of playing matches.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Larrieu to hang up his gloves   Larrieu to hang up his gloves EmptySat May 05, 2012 11:11 am

Like others I hold in high regard. Always ready for a pic and a chat.

Just have one wish that it was annouced a little earlier. Although I'm down for the bank holiday weekend even I have family who would have amde the effort to be a Home Park today if they'd have known it was Le Keepers last game.

Hope he gets the send off he deserves.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Larrieu to hang up his gloves   Larrieu to hang up his gloves EmptySat May 05, 2012 11:48 am

He's been here a long time so is a big part of Argyle as I'm sure Argyle is a big part of him.

He's French
He's great
He's David Friio's mate
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Larrieu to hang up his gloves   Larrieu to hang up his gloves EmptySat May 05, 2012 12:14 pm

He's amazing, many a time he has been snubbed as other keeeprs brought it, he never complained, a true professional. The thing that amazes me the most is that he has been through testicular cancer twice while here.

A CLUB LEGEND
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: Larrieu to hang up his gloves   Larrieu to hang up his gloves EmptySat May 05, 2012 8:43 pm

When does the other fella get out of jail?

And how would it go down if he re-signed at Home Park?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Larrieu to hang up his gloves   Larrieu to hang up his gloves EmptySat May 05, 2012 8:47 pm

Answer is June this year if he has been a good boy and answer to the second question is that I don't think he could come back here if anywhere. Although he would have paid his dues in legal terms the destruction of a family is something I don't think anyone could ignore.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Larrieu to hang up his gloves   Larrieu to hang up his gloves EmptySat May 05, 2012 9:15 pm

Grovehill wrote:
When does the other fella get out of jail?

And how would it go down if he re-signed at Home Park?

i wouldn't mind
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Larrieu to hang up his gloves   Larrieu to hang up his gloves EmptySat May 05, 2012 9:57 pm

A big no from me.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Larrieu to hang up his gloves   Larrieu to hang up his gloves EmptySat May 05, 2012 10:02 pm

mouldyoldgoat wrote:
A big no from me.

This...it was bad enough when the Riddler came here
Re-signing Mccormick would be a new low
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Larrieu to hang up his gloves   Larrieu to hang up his gloves EmptySat May 05, 2012 10:20 pm

Definite no from me and I thought he was a superb keeper. I don't really ever want to hear about him again either. I can't see him playing professionally again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Larrieu to hang up his gloves   Larrieu to hang up his gloves EmptySat May 05, 2012 10:23 pm

A typical 'cat' like keeper, able to get to the odd impossible ball. As others have said his early days promised a lot, but his kicking, going to ground too early and suspect decision making on crosses made him no Pat Dunne sadly.
But what a fantastic guy he has seemed to be, just like his countryman Friio. Those sort of characters are very very important at a club, and we haven't had enough of them of late.
He's obviously plumped for a new coaching role down here under Fletcher and we all obviously wish him well.
A great looker for the gals, but for us serious geeks, he is way behind the likes of Furnell and Crudgey.
We need some sort of club ethic and loyalty going on into the future, and along with Wotton, he offers that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Larrieu to hang up his gloves   Larrieu to hang up his gloves EmptySun May 06, 2012 12:45 am

You reckon he's a good coach then despite having no coaching badges.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Larrieu to hang up his gloves   Larrieu to hang up his gloves Empty

Back to top Go down

Larrieu to hang up his gloves
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next