+3
Charlie Wood
Nick
lawnmowerman
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

The Cobi Budge match report  Empty
PostSubject: The Cobi Budge match report    The Cobi Budge match report  EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 5:45 pm

Carl Fletcher made a couple of changes from the side which drew 0 0 with Northampton last week. Ashley Hemmings replaced Bhasera on the left flank, while Chadwick got a start upfront with Tsoumou, Hourihane was also left out. Bradford were forced into numerous defensive changes after their brawl during the week against Crawley, including Matt Duke, who was recalled to Bradford having only just played against the Pilgrims for Northampton.

The greens signalled their intent from the start, though Bradford had the first shot of the match but it flew into the devonport. On the 4 minute mark, Paul Wotton swung in a wonderful free kick and Tsoumou rose under minimal pressure to head the ball past a fully stretched Duke, 1 0 to the Argyle. Argyle didn't stop there, Tsoumou burst forwards and was taken down on the edge of the box, but Williams wonderful free kick came back of the post and bobbled to safety.

Bradford soon found their way back into the match, some poor defending from Blanchard (who was good apart from this) allowed Bradford to fire a shot on, but it just went wide clipping the post as the devonport uncrossed their fingers. Bradford indeed were not done there, another swift attack created a shooting oppurtunity which sailed just wide of the other post as the ground went totally silent.

But the green army came back to life when Tsoumou made yet another brilliant run but he forced a good save out of Duke. The second best chance of the half fell to Nick Chadwick, a superb ball into the box from Alex Macdonald fell kindly for Chadders but he somehow managed to scuff his shot and the keeper easily picked it up and stopped the dangers. 1 0 the half ended.

Argyle looked dangerous from the off in the second half, Hemmings put in a wonderful cross but the Bantams survived a mini goal mouth scramble. Argyle came forward once more, this time Macdonald headed the ball down for Tsoumou who attempted a wonderful overhead kick but it sailed over the cross bar, leaving the argyle fans clapping the effort that the Preston man was putting in.

Bradford forged a number of corners in the second half, and the first fell to a man just outside the box but his effort sailed over the bar, moments later another Bradford attack led to a shot from 7 or 8 yards, but Purse was the man to block it.

It looked to be the end of the game for Darren Purse, when his two footed challenge on a City striker somehow was not noticed by a rather poor Andy Durso, both Purse and the City man stayed down but they were back in action soon enough. During this pause in play, Steve Fletcher replaced Nick Chadwick.

Argyle were so close to a second goal not long after, the ball fell to Wotton on the edge of the box after Duke flapped at it, a stunning drive was superbly tipped away by the keeper, leaving the green army in absolute shock, over how he got two firm hands to the ball. Alex Macdonald was next to try his luck, but even though he had options, his effort went wide.

Bradford started up again and looked the more likely to score, as shot after shot was blocked by a rather tired looking argyle defence. A header on goal was superbly tipped away by Jake Cole and the ball went out for a corner which was dealt with by a defensively good Simon Walton.

Now came the heart in mouths moment for Argyle, a shot from the edge of the area was saved by Cole, but then the waiting Bradford man smashed the ball into the back of the net sending the away fans wild, the green army were VERY glad to see that the linesman has his flag up for offside, even though, from the Devonport, Purse looked to be playing him on.

Ball after ball was dealt with by the argyle defence in the 5 minutes stoppage time given by Durso, however Williams failed to pick up a Bradford striker at the back post, he chip towards goal was superbly saved by a solid Jake Cole, in a final 15 minutes when Purse and Fletcher were key to keeping the greens on level terms.

Home Park erupted when the final whistle went, and the Bradford players walked off, amazed at how they hadn't managed to score after all their efforts.

Cole - 9
Berry - 7
Purse - 8
Blanchard - 8
Williams - 7
Macdonald - 9
Wotton - 7
Walton - 6
Hemmings - 8 Bhasera - 8
Chadwick - 4 Fletcher - 8
Tsoumou 10

MOTM was Tsoumou in my opinion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cobi Budge match report    The Cobi Budge match report  EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 5:53 pm

Good summary cobi. Not sure how Fletcher merited an 8 from the commentary I heard but the rest sounded about right. MacDonald is class and again unlucky not to score.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cobi Budge match report    The Cobi Budge match report  EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 5:55 pm

Greenjock wrote:
Good summary cobi. Not sure how Fletcher merited an 8 from the commentary I heard but the rest sounded about right. MacDonald is class and again unlucky not to score.

I thought he played a key role defending in the last 10 minutes, his size really helped, Tsoumou was the man winning everything upfront. Macdonald is brilliant.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cobi Budge match report    The Cobi Budge match report  EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 6:02 pm

Don't know which match you were at Cobi. We were crap, they were worse.

Fletcher was nothing more than a big target. He did nothing with the ball.
Walton never strayed more than 10yards from the halfway line and was useless.

Occasional flashes of useful football from McNugget and Tsoumou.

Clueless performance again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cobi Budge match report    The Cobi Budge match report  EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 6:04 pm

Cerbera wrote:
Don't know which match you were at Cobi. We were crap, they were worse.

Fletcher was nothing more than a big target. He did nothing with the ball.
Walton never strayed more than 10yards from the halfway line and was useless.

Occasional flashes of useful football from McNugget and Tsoumou.

Clueless performance again.

But it won't send us down, because we got 3 points, performances dont matter. And I thought we did very well going forward.
Back to top Go down
lawnmowerman

lawnmowerman

PostSubject: Re: The Cobi Budge match report    The Cobi Budge match report  EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 6:21 pm

Walton was absolutely clueless and useless 4/10. Some of waltons passing was dreadful. Also why have walton and wotton in midfield it never works
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cobi Budge match report    The Cobi Budge match report  EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 6:26 pm

A match for which the word "inept" might have been coined.

The only point at which I agree with Pit-bull is to give man-of-the-match to Tsoumou.

How many more easy chances will Chadwick get & miss? How long will we persist in playing Tsoumou as a target-man when he most clearly is not that sort of player? How long will we persist in playing MacDonald wide when he is most dangerous attacking the box rather than the wing?

The mid-field was non-existant but that may be because so many balls were played out of defence over their heads. Walton at times plays a stunning cross-field pass or makes an impressive tackle then wanders around in circles. Passes went astray a remarkable number of times in all parts of the pitch.

I disagree Cerbs. They were crap, we were worse is how I saw it.

But we won! Laughing Yay! cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cobi Budge match report    The Cobi Budge match report  EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 6:49 pm

Nice write up Cobi.

Don't agree with all of the post from what I head on the commentary but that was a nice read.

Not meaning to sound patronising but if you kept to this kind of posting you'd win a few friends Smile

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cobi Budge match report    The Cobi Budge match report  EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 7:03 pm

knecht wrote:
A match for which the word "inept" might have been coined.

The only point at which I agree with Pit-bull is to give man-of-the-match to Tsoumou.

How many more easy chances will Chadwick get & miss? How long will we persist in playing Tsoumou as a target-man when he most clearly is not that sort of player? How long will we persist in playing MacDonald wide when he is most dangerous attacking the box rather than the wing?

The mid-field was non-existant but that may be because so many balls were played out of defence over their heads. Walton at times plays a stunning cross-field pass or makes an impressive tackle then wanders around in circles. Passes went astray a remarkable number of times in all parts of the pitch.

I disagree Cerbs. They were crap, we were worse is how I saw it.

But we won! Laughing Yay! cheers

Well okay, I agree. I gave us crap and them crappier only because we scored.

Cobi is wrong, performance does matter. We were lucky.
Back to top Go down
Nick

Nick

PostSubject: Re: The Cobi Budge match report    The Cobi Budge match report  EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 7:25 pm

Well, a vital three points. Beat Hereford on Friday and I think we can start to dream (of finishing 90th in the FL)
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: The Cobi Budge match report    The Cobi Budge match report  EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 7:34 pm

Excited maybe too strong a word, but at least MacDonald, Hemmings and Tsoumou ignited some enthusiasm in me. Doubt any of them will be here next season. One good late save from Cole but can he actually catch the ball...ever. And Walton, jeez, he doesn't even seem to have any confidence now.

Best comment at halftime from the legend, Jimmy McAnearny, when asked what he thought of the game..."I think the ball will have to go to hospital at the end" Very Happy

We've been used to such crap for such a long time now that we're kidding ourselves if we think that level of performance is anywhere approaching good. All that said it's the points that count now and a very welcome three in the bag today.

If the freak meets get any more popular we'll have to find a bigger tent somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: The Cobi Budge match report    The Cobi Budge match report  EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 8:05 pm

Nick wrote:
Well, a vital three points. Beat Hereford on Friday and I think we can start to dream (of finishing 90th in the FL)

I'm confused Nick. I can't decide whether your little treasure is morphing into a hedgehog, or a porcupine! lol!

I remember when mine were like that - cute, angelic etc.

They're a f*cking nightmare now! lol!

(Apologies for blatant hijack) Embarassed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cobi Budge match report    The Cobi Budge match report  EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 8:26 pm

1. Kept a clean sheet
2. Scored a goal
3. Won the game

WE ARE PLYMOUTH ARGYLE, WE'LL ALWAYS BELIEVE
WE ARE FOOKIN AMAZING Wink
Back to top Go down
Nick

Nick

PostSubject: Re: The Cobi Budge match report    The Cobi Budge match report  EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 8:34 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Nick wrote:

I'm confused Nick. I can't decide whether your little treasure is morphing into a hedgehog, or a porcupine! lol!

I remember when mine were like that - cute, angelic etc.

They're a f*cking nightmare now! lol!

(Apologies for blatant hijack) Embarassed

She's 'sitting' on the Iron Throne from Game Of Thrones, a popular HBO series which returns next week. geek

Cute and angelic she is, apart from at 2am, 4am and 6am every day this week... *cries with tiredness*
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cobi Budge match report    The Cobi Budge match report  EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 8:36 pm

Block4Green wrote:
1. Kept a clean sheet
2. Scored a goal
3. Won the game

Haven't they let you in back over the road yet?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cobi Budge match report    The Cobi Budge match report  EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 8:42 pm

Cerbera wrote:
Block4Green wrote:
1. Kept a clean sheet
2. Scored a goal
3. Won the game

Haven't they let you in back over the road yet?

Nope, not for another 2 hours and 19 minutes. I'm gonna stay anyway :p
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cobi Budge match report    The Cobi Budge match report  EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 10:31 pm

Oh how I wish I could be as enthusiastic for this pathetic performance as the author of this thread. The game I watched today was nothing like it is portrayed here. Man of the Match for me was once again Blanchard. The fact it is once more a defender says it all for me. We have not got a clue how to put a game to bed and relax. How we ended up with the 3 points is a mystery to me but I am ever grateful that we did however shit we were. Bradford will be rueing their loss today because on balance they did not deserve to go home empty handed. A couple more shit performances and taking the points will do it now. I have given up any hope of watching a great Argyle performance this season or anything being easy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cobi Budge match report    The Cobi Budge match report  EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 10:41 pm

Tsoumou was the best player for me today. But over the matches I've seen, Blanchard is the player of the season! With Purse coming in second. I just think that the attack would get a better look-in if the service to them was better.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cobi Budge match report    The Cobi Budge match report  EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 10:42 pm

Anybody else think Chadwick is playing very poorly lately?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cobi Budge match report    The Cobi Budge match report  EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 10:56 pm

Sorry Cobi, most of us have you on 'ignore'.

lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cobi Budge match report    The Cobi Budge match report  EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 10:56 pm

I know it is all about opinion knecht and yes he had one of his better days today. But there is still a lot wrong with his game. I just think that because he has been quite poor previously it makes today's performance look good. No better than average for me except he took his sitter of a header well.

As for Chadwick well where do you start. He tries hard and puts himself about a lot. As a striker he is not much in class. He seems to have gone off the boil rather too quickly from where he started his Argyle stint. Always seems to be leaning back when he tries to hit the ball and it is either scuffed or high. Only asset is he is a nuisance to defenders in the air.

Blanchard today was Mr Cool in a heated defensive display team wise. Makes blocks, gets his foot in and puts his foot through the ball when it is needed. Good in the air and excellent in effort. I have seldom seen him have a poor game and he seldom complains at his co-defenders just gets on with the job. Absolute man of the season for me with no near rival at all.

Walton on the other hand is a lazy bastard who looks like he can't be bothered most of the time. Thinks he is Glen Hoddle with his attempted passes across the park but is mostly Mr Wobble. Always moaning at others for his own ineptitude. Never mind Captain, in my team he would not even make private. The only reason he has become top scorer is because our forward line has lacked loads all season and he takes penalties well. How anyone can mistake him for a footballer is beyond me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cobi Budge match report    The Cobi Budge match report  EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 11:02 pm

Spot on re Chadders and Walton.

It is clear Walton is only seeing out his contract. How he makes the team never mind the bench beggars belief.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cobi Budge match report    The Cobi Budge match report  EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 11:04 pm

Cerbera wrote:
Spot on re Chadders and Walton.

It is clear Walton is only seeing out his contract. How he makes the team never mind the bench beggars belief.

The thing is, I don't get whether the problem is ability or effort. No doubt he will sign for a league 1 club and play well Mad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cobi Budge match report    The Cobi Budge match report  EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 11:12 pm

I don't care who Walton signs for as long as it isn't us next season. He may well con another club into giving him a go but that won't make him play well. I may not be a footballing genius or manager material but how come most managers who have had him have ended up shipping him out. Attitude is appaulling along with his lack of ability. Take the Captains armband off him now and give it to Wotton or Purse. Walton does not deserve to wear it. How he can come up through any accademy of football from a kid and yet somebody like Craig Noone had to mend rooves for a living and not get spotted as a kid amazes me. The difference in footballing ability is miles apart.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cobi Budge match report    The Cobi Budge match report  EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 11:14 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
I know it is all about opinion knecht and yes he had one of his better days today. But there is still a lot wrong with his game. I just think that because he has been quite poor previously it makes today's performance look good. No better than average for me except he took his sitter of a header well.

As for Chadwick well where do you start. He tries hard and puts himself about a lot. As a striker he is not much in class. He seems to have gone off the boil rather too quickly from where he started his Argyle stint. Always seems to be leaning back when he tries to hit the ball and it is either scuffed or high. Only asset is he is a nuisance to defenders in the air.

Blanchard today was Mr Cool in a heated defensive display team wise. Makes blocks, gets his foot in and puts his foot through the ball when it is needed. Good in the air and excellent in effort. I have seldom seen him have a poor game and he seldom complains at his co-defenders just gets on with the job. Absolute man of the season for me with no near rival at all.

Walton on the other hand is a lazy bastard who looks like he can't be bothered most of the time. Thinks he is Glen Hoddle with his attempted passes across the park but is mostly Mr Wobble. Always moaning at others for his own ineptitude. Never mind Captain, in my team he would not even make private. The only reason he has become top scorer is because our forward line has lacked loads all season and he takes penalties well. How anyone can mistake him for a footballer is beyond me.

I agree with most of what you have said.

My choice of Tsoumou was that he was the best of a poor bunch. I just don't like him being played as a target man. It strikes me he is better facing the goal rather than with his back to it. Although I'd say that today some of his little flicks and passes to team-mates in more attacking positions were effective.

Ironically what you have said about Tsoumou looking good only when compared with his previous performances I would say almost in reverse about Blanchard. In my view he is the best player by far that I have seen. I think he goes about his job so quietly, undemonstratively but effectively it is easy to begin to take him for granted. He didn't look quite so assured today but I guess that may be only when compared to previous games. If we manage to hold onto him for next season that would be a significant coup.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Cobi Budge match report    The Cobi Budge match report  Empty

Back to top Go down

The Cobi Budge match report
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next