+4
PlymptonPilgrim
oxfordgreen
Mock Cuncher
Czarcasm
8 posters
AuthorMessage

My match report... (late)  Empty
PostSubject: My match report... (late)    My match report... (late)  EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 7:28 pm

Hello, my apologies for the rather late summary of events from saturday.

Me and my friends took the decision to pay the extra fiver and go to Torquay by coach, as I didn't fancy the walk from the train station to the ground in the current heat, very lazy I know! We got up to Home Park at half 12 and set off for Torquay, arriving at about half 1 and seeing hundreds of Green Shirts heading to the ground by foot. The actual line to get in to the ground was rather large unfortunately but we eventually found a quick route in and took our places nearest to the pop side, banter corner. The new stand at Plainmoor is rather impressive as it towers above the other 3 stands, and it has made the ground in to a very tidy one, and the noise seems to carry much better. The singing started at about half past 2 as the away end begun to fill up, and the 20 or so Torquay children were hopeless in matching our early singing, although a noisy group did eventually show up and some banter was created. The team's huddle was very impressive with all the green army doing that finger thing they do and creating a humming noise in the away end.

Right, the match. Torquay had the most of the early possession as Argyle struggled to hold the ball in midfield but it was the Greens who were to have the first chance, a clever Paul Wotton corner was driven by Macdonald but his shot was high and wide of the target, a positive sign however which did get the crowd going but it was the Gulls turn to attack next. The ever lively Danny Stephens crossed in for Tomlin who's driven shot was well saved by Jake Cole then Robbie Williams stunning block denied what would have been a certain goal. But it was Argyle who were on the attack soon after, Feeney, after turning his man found himself with space and time, perhaps a pass to Macdonald would have been a better option but his driven effort was well saved by Poke in the Torquay goal. Just minutes later and Argyle had another, Robbie Williams curled a superb free kick around the wall but Pope took off to save well. The remainder of the first half was played out with Torquay putting plenty of pressure on a slightly to laxed Argyle side, but the back 4, in particular Berry and Williams held firm.

Half time, and things weren't looking to bad.

The second half was opened by Torquay and it was the Gulls who had the first effort, a header deflected off Maxime Blanchard before Cole got down well to save, soon after and there was another chance for the home side, Rene Howe converted by he was adjudged to have fouled Cole by the premier league referee. Matt Lecointe soon replaced a rather poor Luke Young and the Greens pushed up field. Argyle were so close to scoring when Williams took off down the wind and provided the perfect cross for Warren Feeney but his header was superbly saved by Poke, moments later and Hourihane's driven effort was well saved by the in form Torquay keeper. Argyle then survived a sustained period of Torquay pressure but Cole was equal to most of the crosses pumped in to the box and Torquay couldn't find a way to threaten the back 4. Madjo soon replaced an excellent Warren Feeney and Gurrieri replaced Joe Lennox. Madjo may be big, but he didn't look effective in the slightest, everything seemed to bounce of him and go to a torquay player, all he seemed to be able to do was pass sideways and I don't think I saw Madjo venture in to the box once, he may look exactly like Heskey but he isn't a Heskey. Some excellent work by Gurrieri on the wing give Hourihane a chance to shoot but his firm effort went just wide and soon enough the game was over leaving the Green Army fairly pleased with a game we could have won on another day.

The negatives were 2 argyle fans were ejected from the ground, 1 guy who I am friends with was taken out for simply being to drunk. And an old man was taken out of the ground after he threatened many of the Argyle fans, including a stand off with Charlie and he hit one of my good friends, a female in the ribs, after the situation calmed down he then started providing a barrage of insults towards other fans provoking a wild reaction from all around and he was finally ejected, he wasn't drunk, and this same man was spoken to by stewards for arguing with fellow fans on saturday.

A positive day, a good performance and a good atmosphere. 0 0's are not always boring.

Cole - 7 - did what he had to do, should command his box better though
Berry - 8 - solid from Berry and got forward on numerous equations
Blanchard - 6 - good in defence but he needs to learn that putting the ball out for a corner is rarely the correct option, far to 'safe'
Purse - 5 - continues his worrying start to the season in my opinion
Williams - 9 - very solid, looks much fitter and was able to get forward and then get back. excellent.
Lennox - 6 - drifted in and out of the match.
Young - 2 - simply terrible!
Hourihane - 7 - invisible in the first half but had a very good second as he was pushed further up the pitch
Wotton - 7 - did what he had to do and covered Purse many times.
Macdonald - 6 - he was ok, nothing special, same as he was against Northampton.
Feeney - 8 - very good, showed his experience well and nearly scored 2.

Lecointe - 7 - played the attacking mid role well, MUCH better than Young.
Madjo - 3 - poor today, hopefully its just because he hasn't trained with the players yet.
Gurrieri - 7 - lively and promising.

Many thanks

Last edited by Pitbull on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: My match report... (late)    My match report... (late)  EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 7:33 pm

Leave it this late again sonny, and it'll be the cane followed by double-detention. Exclamation
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My match report... (late)    My match report... (late)  EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 7:40 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Leave it this late again sonny, and it'll be the cane followed by double-detention. Exclamation

That's being too kind, i'll ban him.

Or i'll make him change his username to ILoveIan.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: My match report... (late)    My match report... (late)  EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 7:43 pm

What happened to the guy who hit your female friend in the boob?
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
oxfordgreen

oxfordgreen

PostSubject: Re: My match report... (late)    My match report... (late)  EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 7:45 pm

Mock Cuncher wrote:

He got a six game stadium ban Very Happy had to be said.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My match report... (late)    My match report... (late)  EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 7:49 pm

Another good report, Cobi; although if you aspire to being a journalist, you'll need to keep to a deadline!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My match report... (late)    My match report... (late)  EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 8:23 pm

He should have saved it and used it for the Vale match.
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: My match report... (late)    My match report... (late)  EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 8:24 pm

Mock Cuncher wrote:

Apparently, he felt a right tit.

Sorry Embarassed
Back to top Go down
GreenWhiteBlack

GreenWhiteBlack

PostSubject: Re: My match report... (late)    My match report... (late)  EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 8:27 pm

Pitbull wrote:
And an old man was taken out of the ground after he threatened many of the Argyle fans, including a stand off with Charlie and he hit one of my good friends, a female in the ribs, after the situation calmed down he then started providing a barrage of insults towards other fans provoking a wild reaction from all around and he was finally ejected, he wasn't drunk, and this same man was spoken to by stewards for arguing with fellow fans on saturday.

Dont think thats quite true
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: My match report... (late)    My match report... (late)  EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 8:30 pm

PlymptonPilgrim wrote:
Mock Cuncher wrote:

Apparently, he felt a right tit.

Sorry Embarassed

I heard that he left it until afterwards to sort it out.

I'm here all week.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My match report... (late)    My match report... (late)  EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 8:55 pm

Good report again Cobi, but I do think you're easily pleased.

I would love to have seen you report on the team under Shilton or Luggy first time around.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My match report... (late)    My match report... (late)  EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 8:58 pm

GreenWhiteBlack wrote:
Pitbull wrote:
And an old man was taken out of the ground after he threatened many of the Argyle fans, including a stand off with Charlie and he hit one of my good friends, a female in the ribs, after the situation calmed down he then started providing a barrage of insults towards other fans provoking a wild reaction from all around and he was finally ejected, he wasn't drunk, and this same man was spoken to by stewards for arguing with fellow fans on saturday.

considering I was standing next to him, I think it was
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My match report... (late)    My match report... (late)  EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 8:59 pm

Andy_Symons wrote:
Another good report, Cobi; although if you aspire to being a journalist, you'll need to keep to a deadline!

Will not be my career path Andy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My match report... (late)    My match report... (late)  EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 9:03 pm

Greenjock wrote:

I would love to have seen you report on the team under Shilton or Luggy first time around.

I wouldn't.
With respect Cobi, you haven't an empirical bone in your body that can withstand the slightest change in the wind.
Fortunately, written sports journalism is becoming a thing of the dim and distant past. It's all about gossip these days, not who went just wide in the 51st minute...it's like listening to Perry Como or Bono.
Back to top Go down
GreenWhiteBlack

GreenWhiteBlack

PostSubject: Re: My match report... (late)    My match report... (late)  EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 9:17 pm

Pitbull wrote:
GreenWhiteBlack wrote:
Pitbull wrote:

considering I was standing next to him, I think it was

As was i.

You say he wasnt drunk? He was absoloutley hammered, you should have seen how much he drank at the pub before the game.
Back to top Go down
JonB

JonB

PostSubject: Re: My match report... (late)    My match report... (late)  EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 9:17 pm

Penzance wrote:
Greenjock wrote:

I wouldn't.
With respect Cobi, you haven't an empirical bone in your body that can withstand the slightest change in the wind.
Fortunately, written sports journalism is becoming a thing of the dim and distant past. It's all about gossip these days, not who went just wide in the 51st minute...it's like listening to Perry Como or Bono.

An interesting observation PP - thinking about it further, the near utterly complete filming of, well, everything is increasingly making subjective written summaries irrelevant.

The days of 3 matches on Match of the Day followed on Monday by Dickie (?) Woodacres spoken précis to camera allowed for great value to be given to Graham Hambly's & Harley Lawyer's written match reports.

Now that match highlights are just a click away, people can view & opine themselves....

There still seems to be room for the more poetic journalists to report, but their pieces have the match details as context rather than as the main event.
Back to top Go down
http://www.grumpypig.co.uk
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: My match report... (late)    My match report... (late)  EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 9:25 pm

JonB wrote:
Penzance wrote:
Greenjock wrote:

I wouldn't.

An interesting observation PP - thinking about it further, the near utterly complete filming of, well, everything is increasingly making subjective written summaries irrelevant.

The days of 3 matches on Match of the Day followed on Monday by Dickie (?) Woodacres spoken précis to camera allowed for great value to be given to Graham Hambly's & Harley Lawyer's written match reports.

Now that match highlights are just a click away, people can view & opine themselves....

There still seems to be room for the more poetic journalists to report, but their pieces have the match details as context rather than as the main event.

That's all very well Jon, but how do you put the accent over the 'e' in precis?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My match report... (late)    My match report... (late)  EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 10:03 pm

JonB wrote:

There still seems to be room for the more poetic journalists to report

As long as it's not Stuart Hall giving it large, Jon.
Seriously, I personally don't know where any sort of 'journalism' is going these days, sports or otherwise. It isn't just the internet explosion, the technology and mobile advances, it's also the embedded journalism, the proacvtive manipulation by interested parties, corporate domination... wisting, increasing use of legal threat, the list is endless. It's like the whole industry has fast become nothing more than a distopian nonsense ... a Western style PRAVDA with corporate messaging. The medium has had it.
I would rather listen to book at bedtime.... or maybe just the wind ..... and of course that's where the poetry comes in.
I guess the need to know is morphing into a different sort of need ... maybe we could all have a different news depending on what we want. I myself get Positive News ... a great publication... always puts me in a good mood.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My match report... (late)    My match report... (late)  EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 10:12 pm

Greenjock wrote:

Now that was REAL football Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: My match report... (late)    My match report... (late)  EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 10:47 pm

It's a shame that this site doesn't get updated anymore. It used to aggregate good football writing although you'll see from the URL its from the USofA.

The Spoken Word of Ray Hudson is worth a look see though.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
JonB

JonB

PostSubject: Re: My match report... (late)    My match report... (late)  EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 11:02 pm

I've just watched The Iron Lady & there's a line in there which is really quite profound.

It used to be about doing something, but now it's aout being something.
Back to top Go down
http://www.grumpypig.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My match report... (late)    My match report... (late)  Empty

Back to top Go down

My match report... (late)
Page 1 of 1