Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Match Report

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Match Report Empty
PostSubject: Match Report   Match Report EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 9:53 am

I did think of posting a match report the moment I got back, but I had to go out for a Chinese meal when I got home. We got home from that at ten but one of the dogs had found 2 hibernating hedgehogs in the garden. We rehomed them at the in-laws (the hedgehogs not the dogs). Then I had to clean the dogs because they were covered in fleas. Then I went to bed. I got up early this morning to watch the rugby. But now I am ready to do a match report.

The positives.
The players do have a good spirit about them.
They competed well with Southend until the penalty.
I got the score right for the predictions game.
There is a lot of free parking around the ground.

The negatives.
This is the worst Argyle side I have ever seen, and by a long way. We need seasoned pro's, not young kids with no league experience.
It seemed to me that we were playing with a 4-6-0 formation. Until LeCointe came on we did not have a striker. There was no outlet for the long ball and no one in the box if a cross did come in. Despite playing with 6 midfielders we did not have any width. When someone did get in a wide position there was no understanding with the full back so everything was very slow and predicatable.
I was really shocked at the quality of football. Maybe I am still stuck in the halcyon days of the CCC, but the skill level was appalling. The only way we were going to score was by a mistake from Southend or a lucky rebound. Its not a lack of "creativity". Its a lack of skill or even a basic understanding of shape and positioning.
I paid £3.50 for a "Pukka Pie". It wasn't pukka, it was over priced shit.
Another sending off. How many is this since Reid took over? 15+?

If it wasn't for a last minute equaliser against Shrewsbury we would be facing 9 defeats out of 9. I don't know what the league record is, but we have to be realistic about how bad we are. If we manage to finish 22nd this year it will be a real achievement.

Back to top Go down

Match Report Empty
PostSubject: Re: Match Report   Match Report EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 10:05 am

I keep hearing that we're a good side and simply failing to put the ball away, is that misleading then Frank?
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Match Report Empty
PostSubject: Re: Match Report   Match Report EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 10:35 am

GOB wrote:
I keep hearing that we're a good side and simply failing to put the ball away, is that misleading then Frank?

If i may butt in here GOB,the problem really is not just the lack of goals from the forwards but also the lack of threat from midfield in general and even defenders at set pieces.This has been a bugbear since the days of Halmosi,Buzz,Norris,Nalis etc,who could be relied upon to contribute half a dozen a season each-worth their weight in gold.Argyle do play some decent football at times but frankly i sit in my seat [which i won't be doing next week] and just know that they aren't going to score.It will need the acquisition of at least 4 experienced players who are up to the standard of the division if things are to be turned around,this must be the priority for Mr Brent if and when he takes over-otherwise,we are truly doomed.
Back to top Go down

Match Report Empty
PostSubject: Re: Match Report   Match Report EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 10:38 am

GOB wrote:

No mate, we are shit.

We are not creating the chances to miss. We have nothing in the final third - no possession, no plan, no movement. I really don't see how we are going to score.

The defence wasn't too bad, but Southend were poor. I had no idea of where they were in the league until this morning, so there is a ray of hope if they are in the play offs. I thought they were a bottom 6 team based on their performance.

Obviously home performances may be different, but if we started again with 11 new players I don't think we would be any worse off. An example is Daley. He is quick and likes to go forward, but he is a poor mans Bolasie. I always thought Bolasie was a poor mans Craig Noone, who was a poor mans Mackie, who was a poor replacement for Norris. And I always thought Norris was just a hard working pro.
Back to top Go down

Match Report Empty
PostSubject: Re: Match Report   Match Report EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 11:29 am

Cheers fellas although that's quite a depressing read from the both of you.

By the sounds of things Brent has his work cut out if we're to stay in the FL. It may mean a new team and a new manager as well as a pretty amazing 2nd half of the season!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Match Report Empty
PostSubject: Re: Match Report   Match Report Empty

Back to top Go down

Match Report
Page 1 of 1