Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

 

 Mike makes Team of the Season

Go down 
+8
Earwegoagain
Greenskin
Angry
Les Miserable
mouldyoldgoat
akagreengull
Czarcasm
Tgwu
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tgwu




Posts : 13956
Join date : 2011-12-11
Location : Central Park (most days)

Mike makes Team of the Season Empty
PostSubject: Mike makes Team of the Season   Mike makes Team of the Season EmptyMon Apr 25, 2022 10:46 am

Argyle goalkeeper Mike Cooper has been named in the 2021/22 Sky Bet League One team of the season.

The 22-year-old has had a remarkable year, keeping 22 clean sheets - with 18 of those coming in the league.

The Academy graduate has not only established himself as the league’s top ‘keeper, but he has also drawn plaudits from around the country.

His man of the match performance against Chelsea in the fourth round of the Emirates FA Cup, meant the world saw his quality, with pundits and former pros singing his praises.

In a season which has seen him develop as a player, Mike has also gone past the 100-game mark in a Green shirt, playing every single minute of Argyle’s Sky Bet League One season to date.

Argyle’s strong defensive record has been the cornerstone for their impressive season.

With 43 goals conceded in Sky Bet League One, only the top two in Wigan Athletic and Rotherham United have let in fewer goals than Argyle, with Mike also topping the clean sheet list in the division.

Those shut outs, particularly at home, have seen Argyle push the big boys in the league all the way, and with one game to play, the Greens are in a strong position to finish the season in the play-offs.

That defensive home record has seen Mike go ten and a half hours without conceding at Home Park, that’s seven clean sheets in a row.

If he were to do the same against Milton Keynes Dons on the final game of the season, Mike will move up to join second in the all-time record of consecutive home clean sheets for Argyle.

His performances throughout the season have rightly been rewarded and he will take his place amongst the best in the division.

It is obviously a proud moment for Mike, who only established himself as Argyle’s number one last season and he is delighted he has been able to gain this success at his boyhood club.

On making the team of the season Mike said, “It obviously feels good, I am a bit lost for words really, but I am really happy with the award.

“It’s been a whirlwind year; we’ve had incredible runs, the FA Cup, times when we’ve had a dip, but it’s been a really successful season.

“To be able to have done what I have done and kept the amount of clean sheets we have done is testament to the team really and the way we have played all season.

“They are as much the defenders’ clean sheets as they are mine, we bail each other out, we work as a team and are so well organised.

“I’ve always been here at Argyle, which I am really happy about.

“To play every week, to help the team, I am so happy about it and hope to continue to keep doing well and performing for this team.

Congratulations Mike!





[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm


Posts : 9752
Join date : 2011-10-23

Mike makes Team of the Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mike makes Team of the Season   Mike makes Team of the Season EmptyMon Apr 25, 2022 12:03 pm

Times like this that you’d like to have that soccerball officionado Harve back on here. sunny
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull


Posts : 7332
Join date : 2012-01-12
Age : 65
Location : Mutant Abbot

Mike makes Team of the Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mike makes Team of the Season   Mike makes Team of the Season EmptyMon Apr 25, 2022 12:25 pm

Yes good news a healthy sign the club is moving in the right direction with bringing through some good home grown players of a high standard.
COYG cheers
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat


Posts : 14965
Join date : 2011-12-22
Age : 59
Location : Berkshire

Mike makes Team of the Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mike makes Team of the Season   Mike makes Team of the Season EmptyMon Apr 25, 2022 12:40 pm

Well done MC!

_______________________________________
I'm one of the common people so says the wife!
(A true GSG Girl)

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable


Posts : 6946
Join date : 2014-03-30

Mike makes Team of the Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mike makes Team of the Season   Mike makes Team of the Season EmptyMon Apr 25, 2022 12:50 pm

Great achievement by coops. That said, it's 3 points from a possible 12 since Shoe E won his award. Cue 4 flying past him on Saturday raised eyebrow
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry


Posts : 847
Join date : 2021-12-06
Age : 37

Mike makes Team of the Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mike makes Team of the Season   Mike makes Team of the Season EmptyMon Apr 25, 2022 2:36 pm

Well done to him indeed.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin


Posts : 5554
Join date : 2011-05-16
Age : 62
Location : Tavistock area

Mike makes Team of the Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mike makes Team of the Season   Mike makes Team of the Season EmptyMon Apr 25, 2022 3:40 pm

Coops has improved massively this season and i suppose credit must be due to Lowe for picking him in the first place and then sticking by him when it would have been easy to sign a more experienced keeper. Feather in the cap for Coops and Argyle, well done.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry


Posts : 847
Join date : 2021-12-06
Age : 37

Mike makes Team of the Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mike makes Team of the Season   Mike makes Team of the Season EmptyMon Apr 25, 2022 4:31 pm

Dare i say that's added a few more quid onto any price Argyle may have in their minds to accept if clubs come bidding in the summer..

I think the fact this season he wasnt a rookie and also there is someone on the bench in Burton who could take his spot and keep it unlike McCormick if he made the same errors he made last season has helped him move on a level and grow as a player. OH and not forgetting he has an actual defence in front of him this season unlike that shower of shite we had playing there last season also so that would have helped him no end.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain


Posts : 10676
Join date : 2017-09-09

Mike makes Team of the Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mike makes Team of the Season   Mike makes Team of the Season EmptyMon Apr 25, 2022 5:14 pm

Spot on Angers, Edwards, Scarr, Gillespie and Pan have all helped massively with that award. To me he seems a bit like Sawyer and Adams in that the boss loves him whilst a lot of fans aren't such big fans me included. He has definitely improved this season but he still makes quite a few errors.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin



Posts : 13526
Join date : 2011-05-10
Age : 63
Location : @ sea or @home

Mike makes Team of the Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mike makes Team of the Season   Mike makes Team of the Season EmptyMon Apr 25, 2022 5:17 pm

Well done Cooperman.
Back to top Go down
Graiser

Graiser


Posts : 1413
Join date : 2020-03-25

Mike makes Team of the Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mike makes Team of the Season   Mike makes Team of the Season EmptyMon Apr 25, 2022 5:45 pm

I must admit I had doubts about him especially a lack of domination in the box, however there’s no doubt he’s improved in the air, perhaps special mention to the GK coach whose had his first full season with Cooper
Back to top Go down
Clodagh Rubbish




Posts : 178
Join date : 2020-05-28

Mike makes Team of the Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mike makes Team of the Season   Mike makes Team of the Season EmptyMon Apr 25, 2022 8:24 pm

Graiser wrote:
I must admit I had doubts about him especially a lack of domination in the box, however there’s no doubt he’s improved in the air, perhaps special mention to the GK coach whose had his first full season with Cooper

Darren Behcet. I always felt that Cooper would fill out a bit and get better at that aspect of his game, I didn’t expect it to be so quick. He’s a hell of a talent, the good thing is he’s been allowed to progress within the team rather than flog at the first opportunity like Christian Walton.

On Walton, I had Larrieu sat behind me earlier on the season and I asked his opinion of him and he bemoaned the fact he wasn’t able to hold on to him but his parents and the clubs eagerness to scoop up whatever pennies they could got in the way.

If Cooper gets his next move right, he will play for England. Some of the saves he has made this season have been jaw dropping. Easily the best goalkeeper I have seen play for the club.
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro


Posts : 8068
Join date : 2013-01-03
Age : 32
Location : Dorset

Mike makes Team of the Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mike makes Team of the Season   Mike makes Team of the Season EmptyMon Apr 25, 2022 11:32 pm

If you watch him too, hes able to boss that defence around, unlike when we had caravan and woooton sat in front of him.

Gonna be a hard job replacing him when he leaves, best we can hope for is whoever buys him loans him back to us.

Give us time to find a replacement, maybe Palmer would be who knows have to see what the summer brings.

If we lose Cooper/Pan hopefully Schumacher is given extra funds to find replacements.
Back to top Go down
Graiser

Graiser


Posts : 1413
Join date : 2020-03-25

Mike makes Team of the Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mike makes Team of the Season   Mike makes Team of the Season EmptyTue Apr 26, 2022 6:16 am

Jethro wrote:
If you watch him too, hes able to boss that defence around, unlike when we had caravan and woooton sat in front of him.

Gonna be a hard job replacing him when he leaves, best we can hope for is whoever buys him loans him back to us.

Give us time to find a replacement, maybe Palmer would be who knows have to see what the summer brings.

If we lose Cooper/Pan hopefully Schumacher is given extra funds to find replacements.

We may have his replacement already signed
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry


Posts : 847
Join date : 2021-12-06
Age : 37

Mike makes Team of the Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mike makes Team of the Season   Mike makes Team of the Season EmptyTue Apr 26, 2022 8:52 am

Graiser wrote:
Jethro wrote:
If you watch him too, hes able to boss that defence around, unlike when we had caravan and woooton sat in front of him.

Gonna be a hard job replacing him when he leaves, best we can hope for is whoever buys him loans him back to us.

Give us time to find a replacement, maybe Palmer would be who knows have to see what the summer brings.

If we lose Cooper/Pan hopefully Schumacher is given extra funds to find replacements.

We may have his replacement already signed

We would still be signing a goalkeeper despite having Burton he would need good competition too.
Back to top Go down
Graiser

Graiser


Posts : 1413
Join date : 2020-03-25

Mike makes Team of the Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mike makes Team of the Season   Mike makes Team of the Season EmptyTue Apr 26, 2022 11:45 am

Angry wrote:
Graiser wrote:
Jethro wrote:
If you watch him too, hes able to boss that defence around, unlike when we had caravan and woooton sat in front of him.

Gonna be a hard job replacing him when he leaves, best we can hope for is whoever buys him loans him back to us.

Give us time to find a replacement, maybe Palmer would be who knows have to see what the summer brings.

If we lose Cooper/Pan hopefully Schumacher is given extra funds to find replacements.

We may have his replacement already signed

We would still be signing a goalkeeper despite having Burton he would need good competition too.

Or maybe there’s another Cooper in the academy
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry


Posts : 847
Join date : 2021-12-06
Age : 37

Mike makes Team of the Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mike makes Team of the Season   Mike makes Team of the Season EmptyTue Apr 26, 2022 11:50 am

Graiser wrote:
Angry wrote:
Graiser wrote:
Jethro wrote:
If you watch him too, hes able to boss that defence around, unlike when we had caravan and woooton sat in front of him.

Gonna be a hard job replacing him when he leaves, best we can hope for is whoever buys him loans him back to us.

Give us time to find a replacement, maybe Palmer would be who knows have to see what the summer brings.

If we lose Cooper/Pan hopefully Schumacher is given extra funds to find replacements.

We may have his replacement already signed

We would still be signing a goalkeeper despite having Burton he would need good competition too.

Or maybe there’s another Cooper in the academy

not for another few years if there is one. Would still need to bring in another in if Cooper is sold. Pretty sure McCormick is going to be officially retired at the end of the season to take up a coaching/ambassador role with the club and end the emergency role he has so Burton would be the only one of 3 keepers.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain


Posts : 10676
Join date : 2017-09-09

Mike makes Team of the Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mike makes Team of the Season   Mike makes Team of the Season EmptyTue Apr 26, 2022 2:08 pm

Angry wrote:
Graiser wrote:
Angry wrote:
Graiser wrote:
Jethro wrote:
If you watch him too, hes able to boss that defence around, unlike when we had caravan and woooton sat in front of him.

Gonna be a hard job replacing him when he leaves, best we can hope for is whoever buys him loans him back to us.

Give us time to find a replacement, maybe Palmer would be who knows have to see what the summer brings.

If we lose Cooper/Pan hopefully Schumacher is given extra funds to find replacements.

We may have his replacement already signed

We would still be signing a goalkeeper despite having Burton he would need good competition too.

Or maybe there’s another Cooper in the academy

not for another few years if there is one. Would still need to bring in another in if Cooper is sold. Pretty sure McCormick is going to be officially retired at the end of the season to take up a coaching/ambassador role with the club and end the emergency role he has so Burton would be the only one of 3 keepers.

Not only that but it was bad enough having a "development keeper" in league 2 and it would be the last thing we need in the CCC or league 1 promotion campaign. I personally think Cooper will be here next season anyway.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry


Posts : 847
Join date : 2021-12-06
Age : 37

Mike makes Team of the Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mike makes Team of the Season   Mike makes Team of the Season EmptyTue Apr 26, 2022 5:34 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
Angry wrote:
Graiser wrote:
Angry wrote:
Graiser wrote:
Jethro wrote:
If you watch him too, hes able to boss that defence around, unlike when we had caravan and woooton sat in front of him.

Gonna be a hard job replacing him when he leaves, best we can hope for is whoever buys him loans him back to us.

Give us time to find a replacement, maybe Palmer would be who knows have to see what the summer brings.

If we lose Cooper/Pan hopefully Schumacher is given extra funds to find replacements.

We may have his replacement already signed

We would still be signing a goalkeeper despite having Burton he would need good competition too.

Or maybe there’s another Cooper in the academy

not for another few years if there is one. Would still need to bring in another in if Cooper is sold. Pretty sure McCormick is going to be officially retired at the end of the season to take up a coaching/ambassador role with the club and end the emergency role he has so Burton would be the only one of 3 keepers.

Not only that but it was bad enough having a "development keeper" in league 2 and it would be the last thing we need in the CCC or league 1 promotion campaign. I personally think Cooper will be here next season anyway.

It would make sense for him at his age to stay where he's playing regularly over taking the bigger money to sit on the bench and get loaned out like a pair of bowling shoes by a premiership/championship club.
When he does decide to move on for his sake it should only be where he is going to be number 1 or at least part of the rotation like some bigger clubs use keepers imo no point moving on otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro


Posts : 8068
Join date : 2013-01-03
Age : 32
Location : Dorset

Mike makes Team of the Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mike makes Team of the Season   Mike makes Team of the Season EmptyTue Apr 26, 2022 5:47 pm

Worst case is he leaves sits in a teams reserves,
Best case he stays
in the middle he makes us a few million quid and they loan him back.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain


Posts : 10676
Join date : 2017-09-09

Mike makes Team of the Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mike makes Team of the Season   Mike makes Team of the Season EmptyTue Apr 26, 2022 5:50 pm

I would still be amazed if any team offered us any millions for him let alone many millions.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable


Posts : 6946
Join date : 2014-03-30

Mike makes Team of the Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mike makes Team of the Season   Mike makes Team of the Season EmptyTue Apr 26, 2022 5:56 pm

I don't think we'll ever get a million for a player, we know our place in the food chain.
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro


Posts : 8068
Join date : 2013-01-03
Age : 32
Location : Dorset

Mike makes Team of the Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mike makes Team of the Season   Mike makes Team of the Season EmptyTue Apr 26, 2022 7:04 pm

He ain't going for a Staplewallet firesale come on down price.
Be disappointed if we got less then 2 and a half with add ons.

Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain


Posts : 10676
Join date : 2017-09-09

Mike makes Team of the Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mike makes Team of the Season   Mike makes Team of the Season EmptyTue Apr 26, 2022 7:14 pm

The price would have one o in it ie. Undisclosed. (£125,000)
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry


Posts : 847
Join date : 2021-12-06
Age : 37

Mike makes Team of the Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mike makes Team of the Season   Mike makes Team of the Season EmptyTue Apr 26, 2022 7:20 pm

Jethro wrote:
He ain't going for a Staplewallet firesale come on down price.
Be disappointed if we got less then 2 and a half with add ons.


you're going to be disappointed.

He wouldn't go for that especially when its known that his contract expires at the end of next season or the following which is the guide to any bid or evaluation clubs barter over when a price is being negotiated over a player.
Add ons are not a guarantee of future funds a player would have to hit certain milestones for us to get more money and sold on for a percentage to be received by us. If he's sold on before hitting any or some milestones we dont get anything more if hes released we don't get anything so when some are demanding add ons to be included in any transfer bid for our players this needs to be considered that its not a guarantee.

Lets remember Dan Gosling saga and how that fecked us over.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content





Mike makes Team of the Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mike makes Team of the Season   Mike makes Team of the Season Empty

Back to top Go down
 
Mike makes Team of the Season
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» League Two team of the Season
» no reserve team again Next season
» FIFA's EFL Team of the Season for 2017-18
» No Blue Square for any team next season
» Final list of pre-season games for 1st team and Academy

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic :: Home Park :: The Mayflower-
Jump to: