Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Taming The Shrews - Richard Blight Presents the Shrewsbury Match Thread.

Go down 
+7
Charlie Wood
Chemical Ali
Nick
Czarcasm
Greenskin
Freathy
Tringreen
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Greenskin

Greenskin

Taming The Shrews - Richard Blight Presents the Shrewsbury Match Thread. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taming The Shrews - Richard Blight Presents the Shrewsbury Match Thread.   Taming The Shrews - Richard Blight Presents the Shrewsbury Match Thread. - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 8:53 pm

The only way that a strong long term fan base will be built up is by Argyle achieving success and the only criteria by which to judge that success is a spell in the premiership or consistent challenges to reach that status.Tring,myself and a few others have been stating for years and years,sometimes to the point of foamy mouthed frustration,that the reason why clubs such as Southampton and Norwich have built fanbases to last through the generations is that they've actually achieved things and show promise of achieving more,even when their fortunes are at a comparative low point.Us? We trusted in Stapes and had a communal pants jazzing at finishing 10th in the CCC and playing "big clubs" like Wolves and Sunderland.A glimpse of what could be attained was shown in the early years in the second tier but was never built on and now another cynical generation of janners and peripheral janners is in place.You can have all the intiatives in creation for attracting younger generation fans to HP but ultimately people,rightly or wrongly,judge football clubs by their current status and past achievement and Argyle don't have much to offer in these respects.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Taming The Shrews - Richard Blight Presents the Shrewsbury Match Thread. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taming The Shrews - Richard Blight Presents the Shrewsbury Match Thread.   Taming The Shrews - Richard Blight Presents the Shrewsbury Match Thread. - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 9:08 pm

I don't think it's too surprising Argyle have the oldest average age supporter, when Plymouth is in the heart of a region with the oldest average age, nationally.

The Fanfests are what they are. Many people enjoy them. They're not everyones cup of tea. What I would say though, is that the 'Fest' (short for festival) isn't really that is it? Are there really dozens of away fans there? What makes it a festival? Is it Dave Banana? affraid
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Taming The Shrews - Richard Blight Presents the Shrewsbury Match Thread.   Taming The Shrews - Richard Blight Presents the Shrewsbury Match Thread. - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 9:20 pm

There are two arguments as to why the support base for Argyle isn't greater. One is the appathy of the Janner in general and the other the lack of success on the pitch. I happen to think there is an element of truth in the first one but the second one isn't rocket science to work out. Of course success breeds success and of course teams like Southampton and Norwich have had those which is why it maintains it's bigger core support for longer. Not sure about the communal jazzing of pants however but I take your point that people were pretty happy with that. And why not we were doing ok at the time after years of not doing very well at all.

To say that nothing good ever happened or happens with Argyle though is something I don't agree with. Not quite jazzed previously but have had some very enjoyable times with Argyle over the years. Now as a more senior supporter, the one thing that most of us of a certain age want is for Argyle to make it all the way before we die. Looking less likely at the moment I know but we live in hopes. We never have been lucky with owners previously however and probably haven't got the one to take us there now either. Any idea where we can find one? Don't bother answering that because I doubt it is yes. I'm just hopeful there is one out there and he/she will turn up for me before it's too late. In the meantime I will still turn up on a Saturday in the hope I have something to cheer about and continue to pray for the Euro Millions to come my way after 20 roll overs sometime soon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Taming The Shrews - Richard Blight Presents the Shrewsbury Match Thread.   Taming The Shrews - Richard Blight Presents the Shrewsbury Match Thread. - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 10:00 pm

I used to love going to games, but even when I lived in Cornwall it was a day out. Few beers with your mates, having a laugh on the train and a few more beers when in your local when you got back. Away games have always been more fun, especially if you stayed overnight.

As you get older and have more responsibility, it becomes harder to justify going away every weekend and rolling home pissed as your grans mattress.

I like the idea of the fanfests, but the entertainment looks a bit Chas and dave for my liking but I suppose if it were any more attractive to a younger crowd it could attract the wrong people and trouble might occur. Im 41 and I feel like I would be young at a fanfest! Hopefully if Mr Brent is serious about investment in the club, then the new grandstand can incorporate a decent drinking hole for everyone. Apart from Exeter, can't imagine many games that would suffer from hooliganism, so it would be good to have somewhere on the doorstep to drink and sensible security could ensure that there's no trouble.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Taming The Shrews - Richard Blight Presents the Shrewsbury Match Thread.   Taming The Shrews - Richard Blight Presents the Shrewsbury Match Thread. - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 10:07 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:
GG - did your mate put the Celtic scarves upin the tent? One of my brother's mates is a Glasweigan Rangers fan, but now also supports argyle (even has argyle tattoos!) and wouldlike to burn the Celtic scarves Laughing He wasn't happy with Rangers or Scotland Rugby on Saturday night Laughing

Got two Celtic friends,who donated scarves and shirts to Fans Reunited and from there they made their way to the FF.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Taming The Shrews - Richard Blight Presents the Shrewsbury Match Thread.   Taming The Shrews - Richard Blight Presents the Shrewsbury Match Thread. - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 6:58 am

Looks like we're going to have to continue to foam at the mouth Greenskin Rolling Eyes

At least I can do so from my Mediterranean retreat Cool
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Taming The Shrews - Richard Blight Presents the Shrewsbury Match Thread.   Taming The Shrews - Richard Blight Presents the Shrewsbury Match Thread. - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 5:38 pm

Tringreen wrote:
Looks like we're going to have to continue to foam at the mouth Greenskin Rolling Eyes

At least I can do so from my Mediterranean retreat Cool

Aye,i think you're right.

Does not compute.Does not compute.Does not compute.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Taming The Shrews - Richard Blight Presents the Shrewsbury Match Thread.   Taming The Shrews - Richard Blight Presents the Shrewsbury Match Thread. - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Taming The Shrews - Richard Blight Presents the Shrewsbury Match Thread.
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3