Freathy
125+1
Elias
Czarcasm
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Pompey crisis deepens - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pompey crisis deepens   Pompey crisis deepens - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 10:33 am

knecht wrote:
I'm equivocal about Argyle reaching the premiership. Does that make me someone with only half a brain?

No, it makes you sensible.

I want Argyle to do the best they can, with the finances available to them. There is no point in borrowing money to gain success, it can only end one way. But organic growth via a decent on field performance is the way forward. Look at Torquay, they have spent very little, but wisely. The proof of their pudding will be whether they gain promotion, and what they do with the squad then. Will they spend any money? Or if they fail to gain promotion, what harm has been done? Not spent a lot, have another more determined attempt next season, perhaps by spending a bit more, but wisely.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Pompey crisis deepens   Pompey crisis deepens - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 10:44 am

Cerbera wrote:
knecht wrote:
I'm equivocal about Argyle reaching the premiership. Does that make me someone with only half a brain?

No, it makes you sensible.

I want Argyle to do the best they can, with the finances available to them. There is no point in borrowing money to gain success, it can only end one way. But organic growth via a decent on field performance is the way forward. Look at Torquay, they have spent very little, but wisely. The proof of their pudding will be whether they gain promotion, and what they do with the squad then. Will they spend any money? Or if they fail to gain promotion, what harm has been done? Not spent a lot, have another more determined attempt next season, perhaps by spending a bit more, but wisely.

We were told not to gamble like Cardiff. To trust in Stapes and the organic model Rolling Eyes . Better one day as a lion than a thousand as a lamb imo. By failing to have an ultimate dream/ambition, you merely tread water and risk stagnation, followed by decline.
Your best players/staff get picked off at will.
How anyone can be arsed to buy into that sort of picture for England's 13th largest city club is quite beyond me.............. but then I'm no longer a praaaaaaaper faaaaan, thank god !

It does depend on who can be persuaded to look into the latent potential and buy in but last time we didn't even bloody try .

If you are genuinely content with mediocrity at best, good luck to you. Enjoy the ride.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pompey crisis deepens   Pompey crisis deepens - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 11:26 am

You misunderstand.

I meant invest in the playing squad, produce results and gain promotion. The associated increase in gates further adds to the revenue stream and with it the 'added value items' such as shirts and other Argyle 'stuff'.

Sod the ground development, it's big enough for a while yet.

I am certainly NOT happy with mediocrity!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pompey crisis deepens   Pompey crisis deepens - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 12:48 pm

Careful investment combined with organic growth but without self interest, will suffice. Is that asking too much?
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Pompey crisis deepens   Pompey crisis deepens - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 1:00 pm

GOB wrote:
Careful investment combined with organic growth but without self interest, will suffice. Is that asking too much?

Investment in the right players by a proper manager who knows what he's doing would be good.

Organic growth? Yes, but not in a window box, as was the previous effort. Needs to be more of an allotment size.
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: Pompey crisis deepens   Pompey crisis deepens - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 1:03 pm

Tringreen wrote:
The city and region could support top flight football just as well as several current Prem clubs.

And I thought comedy died with Frank Carson.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pompey crisis deepens   Pompey crisis deepens - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 1:03 pm

PlymptonPilgrim wrote:
GOB wrote:

Investment in the right players by a proper manager who knows what he's doing would be good.

Organic growth? Yes, but not in a window box, as was the previous effort. Needs to be more of an allotment size.

Quite right PP, it's a simple matter of combination and a hint of luck.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pompey crisis deepens   Pompey crisis deepens - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 1:14 pm

This is an interesting article about the mess that is Portsmouth FC.
Back to top Go down
Sandford_Grecian

Sandford_Grecian

Location : Looking into the eyes of the beholder, and all I can see are £££££ signs :-)

PostSubject: Re: Pompey crisis deepens   Pompey crisis deepens - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 1:34 pm

Lord Tisdale wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
The city and region could support top flight football just as well as several current Prem clubs.

And I thought comedy died with Frank Carson.

JUST CHOKED ON MY STRAWBERRY MILKSHAKE Basketball jocolor
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sandford_merlin
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Pompey crisis deepens   Pompey crisis deepens - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 12:24 am

Yeomen of Saxony,

Fresh news abounds of Portsmouth in crisis.

Our spies inform us that the French have assembled a fleet in the Channel intent on invading our shires. There have already been skirmishes off Guernsey. Henry has brought war to our shores after 20 years of peace - we are now paying for his nonsense in Boulogne. As a stout Catholic man with lands in Sussex, one must do his duties lest one shall feel the wrath of Cromwell's men. I have roused the local militia, ready to biff Louis' frog pikemen off our shores - I also bribed the whiffler three groats to conscript several local bowmen (damn swine from the village, poachers!) who have been harrassing the deer in my forests.

God save the King! St George!
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Pompey crisis deepens   Pompey crisis deepens - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 2:56 am

i see the FL are going to sort them out ith 800k to get to the end of the season !

someone will come in for them - same pattern emerges with every admin.

1 - admin says club has no money
2- admin says club wont last season
3 - pressure put on biggest debtors not to ask/deamnd money back
4 - player exodus
5- shocking debts revealed
6 - creditors offered 5p in pound if lucky
7 - club sold

etc

this will be the same with rangers & pompey.

Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Pompey crisis deepens   Pompey crisis deepens - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 7:51 am

I always said Pompey will survive. I thought they may stay in the Championship too but that looks a bit less likely now. They'll get properly taken over by a proper football investor (unlike us) and flourish. The only big losers again will be the creditors.

And as for Rangers going into liquidation - don't make me laugh!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pompey crisis deepens   Pompey crisis deepens - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 10:22 am

The Administrators up at Ibrox are painting an increasingly gloomy picture. And the conduct of the players doesn't seem to be helping - particularly when compared to the selfless behaviour of Argyle's players during our administration period.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pompey crisis deepens   Pompey crisis deepens - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Pompey crisis deepens
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2