Nick
Czarcasm
Tringreen
swampy
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

President's progress - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: President's progress   President's progress - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 5:05 pm

Fair comments SG.

Don't miss the next one, it's "Bring a Brush" week to paint the toilets and following that it's "Build a Business Lounge" week.

There's more to football then just paying to get in, you must also work for free for the multimillionaire owners if you want to be classed as a prappppppa fan.

Don't miss the "Bring a friend and pay twice as much" deal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: President's progress   President's progress - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 5:11 pm

GOB wrote:
Fair comments SG.

Don't miss the next one, it's "Bring a Brush" week to paint the toilets and following that it's "Build a Business Lounge" week.

There's more to football then just paying to get in, you must also work for free for the multimillionaire owners if you want to be classed as a prappppppa fan.

Don't miss the "Bring a friend and pay twice as much" deal.

Pay £10,000 each to pay a member of staff's outstanding wages which I can't be bothered to pay myself
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: President's progress   President's progress - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 5:12 pm

It's not even the president that some folk are peeved about.
If you want a 'community' to get involved and feel as one, to feel they are 'stakeholders as Blair put it, then give the yoof a job. They'll soon feel part of the community if they can all of a sudden pay their way.
You're missing the point entirely sensible, and I believe this volunteer thing is the first of many at the club ... it's been hinted about for quite some time now under the guise of 'community'. You're old, you probably have passed your working life and don't need the money to bring up a family. The country is going to be full of it and it looks to me as if multi millionaire and ex banker James Brent might be going to fill his boots.
If this latest thing was happening because it was a Community 'owned' club then it would be a different propsition entirely .... but it's not, it's a functioning private business and local employer. Perhaps Macdonalds should ask for volunteers to clean out and about around it's food outlets.
Do you know how many internships/work experienceplaces etc are now being abused in this country ... how many posts that are filled with voluntary jobs ?.... I'll tell you. nearly a million, and rising out of control... it's sick ... and talk about sick, even the NHS have been doing it for years, paying youngsters virtually nothing for 6 months and then not employing them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: President's progress   President's progress - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 5:18 pm

That was exactly my point in GOB's para 3 and the comment from Yea Man. If some people want to volunteer for something to feel needed and good about themselves for doing it then what exactly is the harm? It was never part of the owner remit to clean up Central Park so without an initiative it was never ever going to be paid for in the first place was it. Unless of course there is going to be a slave master weilding a whip and press ganging passers by which would be something to raise an outcry. Nobody is forcing anyone as far as I can see.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: President's progress   President's progress - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 5:20 pm

There's no harm in it SG, the same as there's no harm pointing out that they are working for free for a multimillionaire and having the pish taken out of them. They're choice.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: President's progress   President's progress - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 5:26 pm

With all due respect to liken this to a YTS scheme is stretching it a tad. This is a volunteer clean up not a gateway to be used and then not get a job that was implied when it is finished. I feel very sorry for young people these days with the work not being there or rather jobs not being there. As a youngster I could have had half a dozen jobs when I left school but it is never going to be that way again. I don't use self service counters in Supermarkets as my protest against large organisations cutting work forces for extra profit but I just don't think this is sinister.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: President's progress   President's progress - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 5:31 pm

penzancepirate wrote:
It's not even the president that some folk are peeved about.
If you want a 'community' to get involved and feel as one, to feel they are 'stakeholders as Blair put it, then give the yoof a job. They'll soon feel part of the community if they can all of a sudden pay their way.
You're missing the point entirely sensible, and I believe this volunteer thing is the first of many at the club ... it's been hinted about for quite some time now under the guise of 'community'. You're old, you probably have passed your working life and don't need the money to bring up a family. The country is going to be full of it and it looks to me as if multi millionaire and ex banker James Brent might be going to fill his boots.
If this latest thing was happening because it was a Community 'owned' club then it would be a different propsition entirely .... but it's not, it's a functioning private business and local employer. Perhaps Macdonalds should ask for volunteers to clean out and about around it's food outlets.

Exactly my concerns Mate. The club does NOT belong to the supporters. It belongs to a calculating, multi millionaire businessmen. Let's just say the fans, yes all of us, rally behind the giant flag, clean the place up, work and pay endlessly for love, ................... what is Brent going to do, give the club to the Trust ? I don't think so. If not why not ?

Riddler was going to get it for a quid !

While we're talking about money, does anyone know if any of the directors have 'invested' in the club, or is it as Napoleon suggested, 'not a wallet backed boardroom' ?
So, do they get remunerated ?

Looks like Brent has these green army mugs sussed. They'll work for nothing, save me a fortune and all I have to do is humour their[supposed] leaders. One day, if they work really hard and the club gets on a roll, I'll sell up for a nice profit.

We're all in this together chaps !.................... whatever Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: President's progress   President's progress - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 5:33 pm

I believe, not a penny Tring.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: President's progress   President's progress - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 5:37 pm

GOB wrote:

What's in it for PJ and co then ? Are they doing it for love too ? I don't think so.
Did I not read that at least one of the directors is an employee of Brent's ?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: President's progress   President's progress - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 5:49 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
With all due respect to liken this to a YTS scheme is stretching it a tad.

You just wait SG. Wait until backroom jobs are slowly shed and Argyle proudly announce their newly found desire to offer work placements under the growing government schemes or maybe 'do a deal' with the students ... all part of working within the community .... all part of James Brent's new found integrity, now he's made his pile in the great noughties property bonanza.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: President's progress   President's progress - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 5:53 pm

Tringreen wrote:
GOB wrote:

What's in it for PJ and co then ? Are they doing it for love too ? I don't think so.
Did I not read that at least one of the directors is an employee of Brent's ?

You did indeed tring. I read the guy was employed about 9 months ago and is quite happy to 'do two jobs'. Sounds like voluntary work to me. What a star clown
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: President's progress   President's progress - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 5:56 pm

we're just preparing for next season's redundancies when we're in the Conference, calm yourselves, you know it makes sense.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: President's progress   President's progress - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 6:00 pm

Seriously good debate on this issue and it raised some points I hadn't considered. I'm standing by the fact I think it's ok for a one off.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: President's progress   President's progress - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 6:01 pm

It really is becoming more and more Orwellian, PAFC = Plymouth Animal Farm Club ! From 1984 the ' proles' .

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: President's progress   President's progress - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 6:03 pm

A one off Dougie, yes.

It reminds me of when as kids we picked up stones from the new training pitch with Tony Waiters, that was a one off but I doubt this will be. What happens when the litter builds up again?
Back to top Go down
Richard Blight

Richard Blight

PostSubject: Re: President's progress   President's progress - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 6:13 pm

GOB wrote:
Fair comments SG.

The business lounge is fine. The Far Post club for the average Joe Public is the one that needs sorting out.

There's nothing wrong with fans giving the club a hand to tidy the place up. During admin it's got in a bit of a mess. Whether it's picking litter or waving a paint brush around. Now is a chance for all those fans who want to help THEIR club to step up and help. It might be an idea to have a team of litter pickers who get free entry to games in return for an hours work. This has worked for years for volunteers who help the groundsman during halftime and at full time. I wouldn't agree with it putting others out of work but I don't think this is the case as so many staff left the club.

Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: President's progress   President's progress - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 6:14 pm

GOB wrote:
A one off Dougie, yes.

It reminds me of when as kids we picked up stones from the new training pitch with Tony Waiters, that was a one off but I doubt this will be. What happens when the litter builds up again?

I'd like to hear that they have 'other plans in place' moving forward. Perhaps the President will keep us up to date on progress in that area.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: President's progress   President's progress - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 6:19 pm

Richard Blight wrote:
GOB wrote:
Fair comments SG.

The business lounge is fine. The Far Post club for the average Joe Public is the one that needs sorting out.

There's nothing wrong with fans giving the club a hand to tidy the place up. During admin it's got in a bit of a mess. Whether it's picking litter or waving a paint brush around. Now is a chance for all those fans who want to help THEIR club to step up and help. It might be an idea to have a team of litter pickers who get free entry to games in return for an hours work. This has worked for years for volunteers who help the groundsman during halftime and at full time. I wouldn't agree with it putting others out of work but I don't think this is the case as so many staff left the club.

Now if the President had declared that then I would have said that the club were attempting to reach out into the community instead of just taking from it.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: President's progress   President's progress - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 6:25 pm

If somebody is a multi millionaire and could afford to lose £200k a year does that mean he should employ 10 people to do "something or other" on £20k a year just for the sake of it? IF, and I still cling onto hope we won't be, we get relegated this season then it seems reasonable to me that the club then cuts it's cloth according to it's needs as a business. Nobody on this planet would keep people on just out of sentiment in a business so some may well be made redundant if surplus to requirements. That is the way of things however sad that would be. I just cannot see the connection though with a litter pick.

If I'm not mistaken this was also done during the "troubles" around the ground and I don't recall anyone being uptight about it then although I didn't know of ATD's existance at that time. I know the Prezzies report lacks a bit of content but why this particular thing should raise such ire is still beyond me and it does look like it is just something to pick at. Not everything he suggests or puts forward is crap albeit maybe a lot of it is. If I was just arriving in Plymouth off a train and read some of the exchanges on this forum without knowing a load of background I would probably draw the conclusion that most of it is personal and because it is him because it seems that way to me and I have followed a lot of it. Just because Brent has millions also does not mean he wants to enslave the faithful either. I've said I can understand a bit of kicking and scratching at these people but this is picking up a few bits of paper for christ sake not a complete overhaul of the entire empire.
Back to top Go down
Richard Blight

Richard Blight

PostSubject: Re: President's progress   President's progress - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 6:30 pm

GOB wrote:
Richard Blight wrote:
GOB wrote:
Fair comments SG.

Now if the President had declared that then I would have said that the club were attempting to reach out into the community instead of just taking from it.

When I was a kid,if someone had said you can get in for nothing if you spend an hour picking up litter,I'ld have been there every game,instead of only when my pocket money stretched that far. Mind you back then,I wouldn't have had to attend a health and safety course on what personal protective equipment was needed and how to operate a litter picker.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: President's progress   President's progress - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 6:39 pm

SG, you make a very good and valid point.

The problem is the lack of reciprocal approach from the Board. We would happily volunteer and help out (circumstances permitting) if the Board was investing in paying the back pay, rather than relying on sales of shirts by IJN, and investing in the playing staff to ensure League status is retained.

Sadly it looks like we are being played for mugs.
Back to top Go down
lawnmowerman

lawnmowerman

PostSubject: Re: President's progress   President's progress - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 6:41 pm

I must admit i dont agree with this we need volunteers crap, Why not get some guys/girls doing community service in there free would make jb very happy free labour great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
hmdr

PostSubject: presidents progress   President's progress - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 6:42 pm

Typical propaganda from Webb out side of the ground has always been a mess look at the state of the bricks fans paid for, they were cleaned up by volunteers and are now back to there normal state.

The state of the dugouts are also a disgrace.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: President's progress   President's progress - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 6:47 pm

Richard Blight wrote:
GOB wrote:
Richard Blight wrote:
GOB wrote:
Fair comments SG.

When I was a kid,if someone had said you can get in for nothing if you spend an hour picking up litter,I'ld have been there every game,instead of only when my pocket money stretched that far. Mind you back then,I wouldn't have had to attend a health and safety course on what personal protective equipment was needed and how to operate a litter picker.

lol!

Ere SG, I'll let you in on something that isn't a secret.

Quite a few of us on here don't think much of Webby. He has aligned himself totally with an ex[ Rolling Eyes Laughing ] pasoti mod, with whom we have had considerable issues over the years.
They seem to think and act almost as one and have exactly the same tantums when they cannot force agreement, appreciation and compliance from their 'people'.
They cannot cope with our stance and would do anything to stifle debate and deny us a voice at all, if they could.

So until the day arrives when Webb behaves in an inclusive, presidential like manner, I and others will continue to do more than merely question.

It really is that simple.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: President's progress   President's progress - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 6:51 pm

GOB wrote:
Richard Blight wrote:
GOB wrote:
Fair comments SG.

That's my take on it too. Offer free tickets to volunteers who give a few hours up on a Sunday to help clean up. As a lad I would have given up a Sunday to clear litter for an Argyle ticket,and a few mates of mine used to sell Argyle lottery tickets in exchange for a ticket and a pasty at home games. I'm sure that there are plenty of fans who no longer attend due to financial restraints and this would be a good chance to A, clean up in and around the ground, and B, fill a few more empty seats which would create more of an atmosphere than the Forze Verde crew.

This could be extended to helping out with painting and other odd jobs to improve the appearance of the ground, and then it wouldn't seem like such a attempt to "do people out of jobs". The free ticket scheme would seem more in keeping with the community club tag than a multi-millionaire owner getting essential maintenance carried out by volunteers.

Even better would be a free ticket and a fanfest ticket, so the volunteers could get a pasty and a drink included if money is really tight. If it's under 18's why not a couple of soft drinks?

If it really takes off, why not make a really big thing of it and promote the club further by helping out in other ares of Plymouth that look grubby, or helping out some of the businesses affected by us going into administration? Do something to raise awareness or help out the St John Ambulance maybe. Just an idea.

The whole Presidents Progress thing doesn't annoy me as such, I just find it a little too twee and full of nothing dressed up as something special, and sometimes if there's nothing much to say, don't say anything. Brent doesn't bother saying too much too often and seems to have given the Presidents role to Chris to be his public spokesman, which isn't really helping when Chris has got so many people's backs up lately.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: President's progress   President's progress - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

President's progress
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next