Earwegoagain
Mock Cuncher
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

Pompey - Argyle - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pompey - Argyle   Pompey - Argyle - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 27, 2017 12:56 pm

PatDunne wrote:
I got banned from the Nottingham for asking for my 20p back that the space invader machine had swallowed :-)

You sound like trouble Pat, this forum and the Argo World in general could do without your sort.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Pompey - Argyle   Pompey - Argyle - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 27, 2017 4:29 pm

Les Miserable wrote:
PatDunne wrote:
I got banned from the Nottingham for asking for my 20p back that the space invader machine had swallowed :-)

You sound like trouble Pat, this forum and the Argo World in general could do without your sort.

I got banned from the Nottingham for smashing possibly the same space invaders table. Embarassed I was sat there playing the game, got killed, picked up my Rum and Coke (I know better now) which was in a long glass with a thick bottom, bottom of glass caught the corner of the table and it literally went bang and shattered like a car windscreen. Landlord went FOOKIN radio rental, funny thing is as he chucked me out the door he shouted 'we could do without your sorrrrrrt in eeerrrreeee!!!!! Happy daze.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Pompey - Argyle   Pompey - Argyle - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 27, 2017 4:45 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:
PatDunne wrote:

I got banned from the Nottingham for smashing possibly the same space invaders table. Embarassed I was sat there playing the game, got killed, picked up my Rum and Coke (I know better now) which was in a long glass with a thick bottom, bottom of glass caught the corner of the table and it literally went bang and shattered like a car windscreen. Landlord went FOOKIN radio rental, funny thing is as he chucked me out the door he shouted 'we could do without your sorrrrrrt in eeerrrreeee!!!!! Happy daze.

I was that landlord lol
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Pompey - Argyle   Pompey - Argyle - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 27, 2017 4:48 pm

There is a thread addressed to JB and the board over the road there and is currently on a few pages, the theme - "sack Adams".

Baying for blood they be with another round of anti-Adams rhetoric.

Pointless thread as Argyle will not sack him as that would be a tad exspensive. If Adams was by chance to leave, I think he would quit the role on mutal terms, especially if Argyle do get relegated.

As it is we know he has one hand tied behind his back with the drip feeding of cash for his 2017-18 budget. We also know Argyle sre blighted by injuries, which are not helping the cause.

My view is that I would hope that Brent and the Board do cough up some monies in January.

Regarding the team, we have to hope also that when a fully-fit side is eventually open to Adams (whenever that actually is of course) , that perhaps fortunes will take an upturn for the better.

There was a question raised on Facebooke which asked if the Board will back Adams in the January transfer window. It should be interesting to read the replies.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pompey - Argyle   Pompey - Argyle - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 27, 2017 5:35 pm

I've changed my mind on the Adams issue.
Yes, he has done well in 2 years considering the meagre resources, but his football philosophy is appalling, and no way can it be considered part of the entertainment industry.
But, more importantly Adams is no longer having a pop at his employer, he's a fully paid up member taking his wages, covering for the owner. I have felt sorry for him on a personal level, but no longer.

The quickest route to a Brent departure is for Adams to go. The team will then slip further down the greasy pole and accelerate Brent's demise. Propping up the fourth division again will be too much for many fans. This needs to happen within a couple of years before he engineers a way to prise the stadium freehold off the club. Only failure on the pitch will kick this character out of the boardroom and off the stadium land register as a personal owner. Worst case scenario..... he might hang around as an absentee landlord, screwing the club in a Coventry manner.
Back to top Go down
PatDunne

PostSubject: Re: Pompey - Argyle   Pompey - Argyle - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 27, 2017 5:39 pm

Les Miserable wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:
PatDunne wrote:

I was that landlord lol

You owe me 20p
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Pompey - Argyle   Pompey - Argyle - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 27, 2017 5:57 pm

beesrus wrote:
Yes, he has done well in 2 years considering the meagre resources, but his football philosophy is appalling, and no way can it be considered part of the entertainment industry.
But, more importantly Adams is no longer having a pop at his employer, he's a fully paid up member taking his wages, covering for the owner. I have felt sorry for him on a personal level, but no longer.

The quickest route to a Brent departure is for Adams to go. The team will then slip further down the greasy pole and accelerate Brent's demise. Propping up the fourth division again will be too much for many fans. This needs to happen within a couple of years before he engineers a way to prise the stadium freehold off the club. Only failure on the pitch will kick this character out of the boardroom and off the stadium land register as a personal owner. Worst case scenario..... he might hang around as an absentee landlord, screwing the club in a Coventry manner.

What will happen if Adams get sacked is that the blame for any subsequent failure will fall on Adams for making bad signings on the absolutely adequate budget he was given by the board and how it will take the club years to recover. Surprised that someone with as much insight as yourself can't see through that obvious scenario.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pompey - Argyle   Pompey - Argyle - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 27, 2017 6:32 pm

I think DA has only got a few games left. I never thought that Brent would pay compensation to sack a manager, but I have detected a change in mood from the Herald recently and I think they have been tipped off that he is a dead man walking.

New Man in before Christmas so that he can bring players in in January.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pompey - Argyle   Pompey - Argyle - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 27, 2017 6:45 pm

Not for the first time Skinny, I totally disagree with you., but that's ok. Something has to change, and change fundamentally, for Brent to hop off his perch. Only a manager change, and for the worse, can make that happen. I'm keeping my eye on the ball, you're just waiting for the weather to clear, which it won't. This scenario could drag on for years.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Pompey - Argyle   Pompey - Argyle - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 27, 2017 7:07 pm

Seriously think Brent will only sack Derek if the football gets so shit that even his easily duped green desciples start to make noises.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Pompey - Argyle   Pompey - Argyle - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 27, 2017 7:07 pm

I can't see Brent axing Adams.  He believes in him.  Even if we go down Brent has faith that Adams can bring us back up again.  In two attempts,Adams failed at the last hurdle the first time, and succeeded the second.  Brent will believe it's inevitable that form will continue and would rather 'bank' on him doing  it again then put his faith in finding a new manager.

Talking of which..  Brent should have no second thoughts in going for a new manager if he truly believes that his and the boards oft self touted 'interviewing process' is so thorough and well thought out that it virtually guarantees the selected candidate will be successful!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pompey - Argyle   Pompey - Argyle - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 27, 2017 7:18 pm

Rickler wrote:
I can't see Brent axing Adams.  He believes in him.  Even if we go down Brent has faith that Adams can bring us back up again.  In two attempts,Adams failed at the last hurdle the first time, and succeeded the second.  Brent will believe it's inevitable that form will continue and would rather 'bank' on him doing  it again then put his faith in finding a new manager.

Exactly. Keeping Adams will just establish in rewritten history the new norm at Akkeron, oscillating between the 4th and 3rd division. Adams has the 4th div taped, although next year, he will have to do it without Carey, and no one knows just how much Adams' success is down to one player.
We all know that oscillation should be one division higher at least. Brent would be vulnerable losing Adams, and it would hit his confidence. Adams out, and Starnes. The property speculating banker needs to be isolated and left to suck biscuits with the genius Newell on the road to Cleethorpes or some such place..
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Pompey - Argyle   Pompey - Argyle - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 27, 2017 8:09 pm

beesrus wrote:

I will give him some more time, probably the new Year (and up to February). If Argyle are still rock bottom or in the bottom four in the New Year (or leading up to the end of February) , then I will likely call for him to go and have him replaced by someone who may know something about League One, there would be many applicants for the position at Home Park, that is a certain. Whether a new manager could salvage the season is open for debate.

He has done well in the time he has been here though and I really do hope he can guide the side to League one safety between now and March/April '18, thus leaving no need for a new manager.

Last edited by VillageGreen on Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Pompey - Argyle   Pompey - Argyle - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 27, 2017 8:21 pm

Results have improved over the last 8 or so matches Pompey and Oxford excepted, effort, if not quality from the players too. The football is dour but that's been the norm since Holloway, we'd be mad to get rid at the mo imo.
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Pompey - Argyle   Pompey - Argyle - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 27, 2017 8:46 pm

If Adams was manager of a professinal well run club with ambition and a sensible budget that gave him a chance then i would sack him for only winning four games all season, but seeing as he works for Akkeron the property speculating club, i say sacking him would make no difference, argo is fooked anyway.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Pompey - Argyle   Pompey - Argyle - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 27, 2017 10:14 pm

And a new manager would still have to find a way to regularly win matches with very little scoring ability in the squad. And Brent won't sanction anything else in January but sticking plaster loans and "good squad players at this level," maybe with a knock or two, ect..we've heard it all before. Dont even be surpirised if we sign no one in Jan with the return of Threlkeld and Taylor being heralded as good as two CCC signings anyway. What's so depressing is that there is little point to it any more, keep Adams we are probably down, change Adams we are probably down, both scenarios still has the reluctant wanker biding his time happy in the fact that Adams is taking all the flak that should be heading his way for neglecting the club.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Pompey - Argyle   Pompey - Argyle - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 27, 2017 10:38 pm

We are still in there fighting. We might be bottom of the league but we aren't that far behind a safe league position in terms of points. Win our next game and we're nearly there; win two and we'll be safe. For now at least and then all we have to do is stay there.

It's almost as if half our games don't matter anymore (obviously they all matter just bear with me). Losing to Pompey is almost immaterial as will be losing to any other top half club. We need to get results against the other hoofers down at the bottom. If we beat them then there's the old 6 point swing in our favour; if we draw we keep pace and live to fight another day; if we lose we're nailing the lid down on our own coffin.

It's the games against Bury, Northampton, Gillingham, Wimbledon and so on that matter from here on in and not the ones against Wigan, Shrewsbury and Scunthorpe or whoever it is at the top.

You only have to look at how bad Northampton were recently to realise that we're not the only duffers in this division and there may yet be 4 teams worse than us meaning we get away with it by default.

All is not yet lost although I do fear the worst as much as anybody else does: if I had to bung my last quid on us staying up or going down it'd be on us going down whatever the odds are.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: Pompey - Argyle   Pompey - Argyle - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 28, 2017 12:21 am

But this is the trouble, Adams is taking all the flack that should be coming Brent's way. So, get rid of Adams, and then it would be very difficult for Brent to escape criticism of his budget if the next manager fails as well, which he/she ( diversity ) almost certainly will given the budget that I would guess is a good 15-20% short of the allowed 60% of turnover.
I also happen to think Brent won't sack Adams for all the reasons others have said, but it has to be a good thing to sow discontent between the two of them. The football will be what it will be anyway with the standard of players assembled. If the call gets louder and louder for Adams' dismissal, he might just crack and spill some of the beans in a tiff. He's got it in him, he just has to be pushed. If anyone deserves their carefully crafted alibi to be exposed, it's the squire.
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: Pompey - Argyle   Pompey - Argyle - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 28, 2017 3:53 am

Frank Bullitt wrote:
I think DA has only got a few games left. I never thought that Brent would pay compensation to sack a manager, but I have detected a change in mood from the Herald recently and I think they have been tipped off that he is a dead man walking.

New Man in before Christmas so that he can bring players in in January.

Agree about change in Heralds tact but he's not going anywhere. Pre Northampton which we obviously won the top table were and I quote "extremely relaxed about our position"

Alarming to say the least but Brents not interested in the playing side as we all know. Property first
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: Pompey - Argyle   Pompey - Argyle - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 28, 2017 1:21 pm

At the season start most fans would have been happy with just staying in Lge 1 mid-table, with the odd upward and downward surge, not based on being bottom for weeks / months and only staying in touch because enough other teams are also rubbish. Furthermore, if we were bottom but playing (at least trying to) attacking football then fans would be a little more understanding.
We are bottom, we can't score goals, discipline is awful, we appear to have a board who are sitting fat dumb and happy (on their wallets) singing a version of ''it'll be alright on the night'' as they plan the opening ceremony for the ice rink, a manager who did well to get us up but now has no plan B, players who are either not good enough (wallets again!) or can't play the system asked of them, the piglet boys going around with a big stick to keep order, no communication to the fans who keep asking ''where's the dosh gone?'' .......... on and on.
JB has 2 choices - back him or sack him.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Pompey - Argyle   Pompey - Argyle - Page 5 EmptyWed Nov 29, 2017 9:36 pm

Rickler wrote:

Talking of which..  Brent should have no second thoughts in going for a new manager if he truly believes that his and the boards oft self touted 'interviewing process' is so thorough and well thought out that it virtually guarantees the selected candidate will be successful!

If the worst happened, New Year still for myself, with two possibles and one hope.

First Possible : - The Board back Adams in January, he wheels and deals, and lf by the end of February Argyle are still in the mire, then perhaps it is time for him to go.

Second Possible :-  If Adams gets no backing from the Board in January and Argyle continue to struggle and remain as they are, perhaps he will go in late January.

One Hope - I really hope the Board back Adams in January and Adams brings in two or three signings, resulting in improved fortunes, rising up the table out of harms way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pompey - Argyle   Pompey - Argyle - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Pompey - Argyle
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5