Les Miserable
Dane
lawnmowerman
Czarcasm
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage

Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 7 EmptySat Jan 28, 2017 9:53 pm

Lighten up Sam
You're right about Alan Judge though, I thought he was hopeless for us, terrible, and that's my opinion and why I reference him. No big deal, just a sort of caricature I have in my head of him, nothing malicious or anything meant to be taken seriously. Hope that's ok with you.  Very Happy
I can be a bit more serious on non football matters though. I care what happens to the park.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 7 EmptySat Jan 28, 2017 10:27 pm

Dick Trickle wrote:
You don't win anything without ambition. I'm with Bees.

I wasn't but I am now.

It's endemic. Road to villa park celebrated where we lost, reunions of the team that finished 4th in the 4th division, now I hear that Liverpool have adopted us as their second team. Just like Newcastle did when we let them celebrated promotion at the same time they relegated us.

Forever celebrating mediocrity. it's why we'll never amount to jack shit, it's why we don't have an airport and went 6 months without a rail connection and it shouldn't be like that. But it is and for some reason Janners are defiantly and aggressively proud of it.
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 7 EmptySat Jan 28, 2017 11:09 pm

beesrus wrote:
Rollo Tomasi wrote:

You cannot go toe to toe with better players. Adams had it spot on. No shame in that.

No win in it either.
You can't go toe to toe with better players ?  Laughing .....tell that to the marines.....and also the  1973 third division Argyle team ( they didn't even get promoted that year ) that not only beat, but outplayed 3 excellent First division teams away from home. I saw all three games. We played them off the park, they didn't know what hit them. And it wasn't their reserve teams either in those days.

And how come Licoln have just managed the toe to toe impossibility ? All over them by all accounts.

I think you'll find we are a fourth division team for a reason. Our players aren't very accomplished.  

Still, don't worry about it. You obviously know more about football than Pulis, Allardyce, Dyche, etc, who employ similar tactics when playing the big boys.

Just watched the Liverpool v Wolves game on MOTD . They applied Argyle's tactics with the exception of breaking out of defence far better.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 12:47 am

beesrus wrote:
Lighten up Sam
You're right about Alan Judge though, I thought he was hopeless for us, terrible, and that's my opinion and why I reference him. No big deal, just a sort of caricature I have in my head of him, nothing malicious or anything meant to be taken seriously. Hope that's ok with you.  Very Happy
I can be a bit more serious on non football matters though. I care what happens to the park.
I'd had a couple of pints when making that comment which may have made my humour more blunt than usual but it wasn't meant to be taken as anything more than a bit of light-hearted pisstaking on my part. You may not be too serious about Alan Judge but trust me nor am I Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 7:41 am

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
beesrus wrote:
Rollo Tomasi wrote:

You cannot go toe to toe with better players. Adams had it spot on. No shame in that.

No win in it either.
You can't go toe to toe with better players ?  Laughing .....tell that to the marines.....and also the  1973 third division Argyle team ( they didn't even get promoted that year ) that not only beat, but outplayed 3 excellent First division teams away from home. I saw all three games. We played them off the park, they didn't know what hit them. And it wasn't their reserve teams either in those days.

And how come Licoln have just managed the toe to toe impossibility ? All over them by all accounts.

I think you'll find we are a fourth division team for a reason. Our players aren't very accomplished.  
You can say that again  jocolor although I'm not sure how your logic applies to non league Lincoln's players

Still, don't worry about it. You obviously know more about football than Pulis, Allardyce, Dyche, etc, who employ similar tactics when playing the big boys.

Swings and roundabouts. Both Warnock and Gerrard said they thought Argyle should have taken the second game to Liverpool more than they did.  Pulis, who I admire in some  ways, is an Adams. He wouldn't coach attacking teams even if his life depended on it, and given Allardyce's recent exploits I wouldn't follow him to the shops
And remind me just how many premiership titles Pulis and Allardyce have picked up with their tactics. You win nothing by defending, you just survive.

Just watched the Liverpool v Wolves game on MOTD . They applied Argyle's tactics with the exception of breaking out of defence far better
. That's because we didn't try to break out of defence in the first game. We just booted to touch like a bunch of westcountry rugger boys. Brian Clough didn't play that way even when he was managing 4th division Hartlepool. Keep the ball was his motto, 4th division or no. In fact his methods were so successful he dragged average 4th division players up through the ranks to become top top players, turned crap centre forwards into successful centre halves. Confidence is the key to many footballers' supposed lack of talent.  And Check out the Wycombe Tottenham game. At least they gave it their best shot. No one can accuse Ainsworth of being shy and deferring to football gentry.
We didn't park the bus, we bleddy missed  the boat. Still, everyone enjoyed their big day with Home Park ringing to the bells of glorious defeat.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 9:56 am

Pretty bizarre that you mockingly refer to Argyles replay 'glorious defeat', straight after using Wycombes glorious defeat (yes, defeat) as an example of what Adams should have done at Anfield. scratch
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 10:08 am

Czarcasm wrote:
Pretty bizarre that you mockingly refer to Argyles replay 'glorious defeat', straight after using Wycombes glorious defeat (yes, defeat) as an example of what Adams should have done at Anfield. scratch
Argyle had a great result at Anfield, yet Beezoo, is trying and failing to make it sound like a dog shit defeat... Bizzare!
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 10:15 am

Czarcasm wrote:

'tis also rather ironic that, as anyone who has experienced some of their antics at HP in recent times will testify, Wycombe and the word glorious could possibly be mentioned in the same breath or sentence.
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 10:15 am

So you'd sooner lose 4-3 than draw 0-0. How odd.
Back to top Go down
Innocent Egbunike

Innocent Egbunike

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 10:17 am

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
beesrus wrote:
The only difference being, those teams have players to hit Liverpool on the break. Argyle don't. Play to your own strengths, not some one else's.

It's so simple when you put it like that.

Federer? No problem, just get your first serve in at 140mph and it's in the bag.

Bolt? piece of piss. Get out of the blocks quick and keep your head down.

O'Sullivan? Get in first, make a century break and you're home and dry.

Damn straight. I was annoyed in the 1st half at Anfield, as I thought we looked far too negative but over 180 mins we consistently improved. Adams knew we were unlikely to win and went with the tactics that gave us the best chance in a one-off situation to grab something.

Anyway, it was only the cup. The goal is promotion and they are well on course for that.
Back to top Go down
Innocent Egbunike

Innocent Egbunike

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 10:20 am

sufferedsince 68 wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:
Argyle had a great result at Anfield, yet Beezoo, is trying and failing to make it sound like a dog shit defeat... Bizzare!

Innit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 12:04 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
My point was Wycombe's defeat WAS glorious, Argyle over the two legs, not so. Some people seem to think you magic glory from nowhere just by turning up. Glory is Ian Botham or Kevin Petersen, not Ken bleddy Barrington, prodding away.. Everyone should have a slash outside the off stump now and again if you pardon the expression jocolor
Back to top Go down
Innocent Egbunike

Innocent Egbunike

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 1:48 pm

beesrus wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:
My point was Wycombe's defeat WAS glorious, Argyle over the two legs, not so. Some people seem to think you magic glory from nowhere just by turning up. Glory is Ian Botham or Kevin Petersen, not Ken bleddy Barrington, prodding away.. Everyone should have a slash outside the off stump now and again if you pardon the expression jocolor

So you're comparing Ian Botham and Keven Pietersen, two of the best ever English cricketers, with Argyle's 4th division players? It was OK for Botham to attempt to hit sixes off the world's best bowlers because he was good enough to do it....or perhaps you think that Graham Carey is George Best reincarnated?

Argyle took Liverpool to a replay and performed pretty well at Home Park. It wasn't very pretty but I'll wager Adams, the players and all the fans at Anfield felt better than Ainsworth and co yesterday, come 90 minutes
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 1:57 pm

Innocent Egbunike wrote:
beesrus wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

So you're comparing Ian Botham and Keven Pietersen, two of the best ever English cricketers, with Argyle's 4th division players? It was OK for Botham to attempt to hit sixes off the world's best bowlers because he was good enough to do it....or perhaps you think that Graham Carey is George Best reincarnated?

Argyle took Liverpool to a replay and performed pretty well at Home Park. It wasn't very pretty but I'll wager Adams, the players and all the fans at Anfield felt better than Ainsworth and co yesterday, come 90 minutes

He's also bad mouthing the late Ken Barrington, who just happened to have a far better test batting record and played in more successful England teams than either Botham or KP. How to equate that logic with labelling Argyle fans who happened to think that a fourth division team getting a draw at Anfield was a good result as "losers" is frankly beyond me, a touch of Celtic romanticism maybe.
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 2:28 pm

Just love the "even Gerrard thought that Argyle should have taken the second game to Liverpool".

What the hell does Gerrard know about fourth division footballers and their abilities.

It's funny that of all the England '66 World Cup winning team the best manager happened to be the worst player.

Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst, Alan Ball, Martin Peters all had a go but it was only Jack Charlton that was really successful.

Maybe he didn't expect too much of his players and knew their limitations.
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 2:44 pm

Well it looks as if beesrus as achieved his/her aim....winding people up to get a reaction.

Belittling Argyle's achievement of taking Liverpool to the extent of only losing 1-0 over roughly 190 minutes of play.....over that period Liverpool had to bring on their stars from off the bench to
eventually win the tie by that one goal.....personally the best thing to do is to ignore such people.
Back to top Go down
Innocent Egbunike

Innocent Egbunike

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 2:55 pm

Nah, I'm not wound up - I just don't agree with his reasoning. Healthy debate and all that.
Back to top Go down
Innocent Egbunike

Innocent Egbunike

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 2:58 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Innocent Egbunike wrote:
beesrus wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

He's also bad mouthing the late Ken Barrington, who just happened to have a far better test batting record and played in more successful England teams than either Botham or KP. How to equate that logic with labelling Argyle fans who happened to think that a fourth division team getting a draw at Anfield was a good result as "losers" is frankly beyond me, a touch of Celtic romanticism maybe.

Fair points. I'm not familiar with Mr Barrington's work so not qualified to comment! Sounds like he had a touch of the Tavares about him. All teams need artisans as well as magicians.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 3:00 pm

zyph wrote:
Well it looks as if beesrus as achieved his/her aim....winding people up to get a reaction.

Belittling Argyle's achievement of taking Liverpool to the extent of only losing 1-0 over roughly 190 minutes of play.....over that period Liverpool had to bring on their stars from off the bench to
eventually win the tie by that one goal.....personally the best thing to do is to ignore such people.

But you couldn't.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 3:26 pm

beesrus wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

So Argyle get a share of a combined 70,000 attendance, a draw at Anfield (which was by the way a top weekend away) a replay at home with the best atmosphere in years, around a quarter of a million in tv revenue. Yet you'd appear happy to trade that for the plucky have-a-go-but-ultimately-lose Wycombe scenario?

Bonkers.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 3:40 pm

Innocent Egbunike wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Innocent Egbunike wrote:
beesrus wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

Fair points. I'm not familiar with Mr Barrington's work so not qualified to comment! Sounds like he had a touch of the Tavares about him. All teams need artisans as well as magicians.

Saw quite a lot of Tavare at Somerset, where he was actually quite a free scoring player in county cricket, but he was nowhere near Barrington's class-Ken was actually statistically one of the 10 best batsman ever to play test cricket;

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Incredibly underrated, was very free scoring in his early days but was harshly dropped by England and took the attitude that if it was runs they wanted, then runs they shall have and in fecking spades. Died of a heart attack managing the England team on the fractious tour of WI in 1981,which was dogged by controversy about apartheid and other matters-the aforesaid Botham was utterly devastated and still speaks of Barrington with reverence now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 4:45 pm

Oh dear, now Sutton have gone and done the impossible. Looks like everyone has been invited to the party this year apart from the Adams family.
Bleddy romantic chancers. That Sutton United will get their comeuppance, one day, you mark my words. flower
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 4:56 pm

beesrus wrote:
Oh dear, now Sutton have gone and done the impossible. Looks like everyone has been invited to the party this year apart from the Adams family.
Bleddy romantic chancers. That Sutton United will get their comeuppance, one day, you mark my words. flower

Dear me. Why don't you mention it on the word game or forecasting league thread as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 5:13 pm

Done.
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 7 EmptySat Feb 04, 2017 5:46 pm

Those two performances not looking as heroic now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next